bit-gamer.net

Star Citizen smashes last stretch goal at $50M

Star Citizen smashes last stretch goal at $50M

Chris Roberts' Star Citizen has smashed its final public stretch goal, the creation of a fully-functional alien language, with more than $51 million raised so far.

Star Citizen, Chris Roberts' ambitious space-faring game, has smashed its last public stretch goal, hitting more than $51 million in funding so far.

Known for his popular Wing Commander series, Roberts unveiled Star Citizen back in 2012 with a mixed-funding model that would see private investment paired with cash raised through a self-hosted crowd-funding drive and another hosted via Kickstarter. At the time, Roberts had a target figure in mind of up to $12 million - an ambitious goal, but one he felt comfortable would be hit. $2.1 million came in via Kickstarter and a further $2 million in direct funding via the Star Citizen website; in July 2013 Roberts announced that the total had reached a whopping $14 million.

When crowd-funded projects exceed their original target, it's common to offer 'stretch goals' to encourage further funds. Offering everything from additional missions and ships to cockpit decorations and professional motion capture for the cutscenes, the stretch goals worked with the fund sitting at more than $35 million in December 2013 - significantly higher than its original $12 million goal.

Now, the campaign has smashed its final stretch goal: the creation of an alien language for the game's three biggest races, the Vanduul, the Xi'An and the Banu. To be developed in partnership with real-world linguists, the language will be fully-formed in a similar manner to Star Trek's Klingon; players will even be able to learn the language themselves in order to understand alien communications, should they so choose.

With $51 million raised so far, the Star Citizen campaign is now officially out of stretch goals. Roberts has yet to announce whether his company has any more ideas for encouraging yet more income for the game.

UPDATE:
Chris Roberts has issued a blog post confirming new stretch goals for the project, the first of which has already been passed. At $51 million, an interactive map of the game's known space was added to the project's plan; at $52 million, all backers up to that stretch goal will receive a personal jet-pack in-game item; at $53 million, Roberts will set up what he calls an Independent Arbitrator’s Guild staffed by real-world individuals to discourage bad sportsmanship in the game.

16 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
koaschten 19th August 2014, 16:15 Quote
3 links in the news post, all leading to older news post, but not a single link to the kickstarter project in ANY of the news posts and no link to the source of the news?

Why can't you just link to the source at the end, why do I have to google to find the source?
Gareth Halfacree 19th August 2014, 16:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by koaschten
3 links in the news post, all leading to older news post, but not a single link to the kickstarter project in ANY of the news posts and no link to the source of the news?
Why can't you just link to the source at the end, why do I have to google to find the source?
There's no point linking to the Kickstarter project in this article, as it closed in November 2012. The source of the news was a press release. Any more questions?
Guinevere 19th August 2014, 16:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Any more questions?

Yeah. Does BT have an editorial policy to avoid linking to the source? It is a reoccurring issue and I for one have been slightly annoyed by it a couple of times. I guess I'm just spoiled by other (larger) sites that are happy to link to the source.

For this article, the source may not easily be a URL but you could easily have made the "Star Citizen campaign" words into a link to https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge.

Even the BBC is getting better at linking to external sites.
Gareth Halfacree 19th August 2014, 16:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
Yeah. Does BT have an editorial policy to avoid linking to the source?
As far as I'm aware, BT doesn't have an editorial policy document at all, much less one stating not to link to sources. Like I said, the source in this case was a press release received via email - bit difficult to link to, really!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
For this article, the source may not easily be a URL but you could easily have made the "Star Citizen campaign" words into a link to https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge.
Could have, but didn't. There's no additional information available on that page, so I didn't see the point in linking to it. Had there been a page I could link to that had, for example, new stretch goals, I would have done exactly that.

Out of interest, let's look at the stories I've written so far this week: Star Citizen, no external link 'cos I didn't think it was required; Windows on Devices, link to Microsoft's GitHub site as source; Jon Peddie research, no external link 'cos the report costs thousands and I didn't think anyone here would be willing to pay that just to read Peddie's thoughts; Windows Threshold, link to ZDNet as source; Steam VR, link to Valve's changelog post as source; Microsoft's faulty update, link to Microsoft's KB as source. That's six posts, only two of which don't link to an external site - and both of which I still believe would not be materially improved with the inclusion of links.

Clearly, you feel differently. That is, naturally, your prerogative. Your feedback has been noted, both.
ovnr 19th August 2014, 23:26 Quote
I, for one, get somewhat annoyed when an article does not link to the thing it's actually describing. Having to google for a subject matter is a bit silly.
Umbra 19th August 2014, 23:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
More than $51 million raised so far.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2014/08/19/star-citizen-last-stretch-goal/1

Now watch Facebook buy it for £100M, go nice with the Rift.
Nexxo 19th August 2014, 23:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnr
I, for one, get somewhat annoyed when an article does not link to the thing it's actually describing. Having to google for a subject matter is a bit silly.

Seriously, y'all should be forced to live a day in the 1980's, when if you wanted to know stuff you actually had to go visit a library.

Else get one of those neat little plugins for your Firefox browser where you highlight a word, right-click and select "Google" from the context menu.

First world problems...
mi1ez 20th August 2014, 00:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnr
I, for one, get somewhat annoyed when an article does not link to the thing it's actually describing. Having to google for a subject matter is a bit silly.

Seriously, y'all should be forced to live a day in the 1980's, when if you wanted to know stuff you actually had to go visit a library.

Made me chuckle.
LordPyrinc 20th August 2014, 00:39 Quote
I get annoyed by a whole string of comments that don't relate to the article's content...

Now on topic... I've been really excited about Star Citizen since I first heard about the game. Though it seemed, and still seems, extremely ambitious, I really would like to see it succeed. However, I have not pledged any money at this time for various reasons including the massive hype. While I have supported several beta version games on Steam, some of the monetary amounts on Star Citizen are borderline ridiculous in my opinion. I really do hope it succeeds and lives up to the majority of the expectations. I'll wait on this game until it officially releases before I spend RL $ on it. Though, if it ends up being a subscription based game, I will likely pass on it.
SchizoFrog 20th August 2014, 10:36 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc
I get annoyed by a whole string of comments that don't relate to the article's content...

Well in this case their comments did relate to the article's content, just not the subject matter.
Judge Zetsumei 20th August 2014, 10:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc
.
I've been really excited about Star Citizen since I first heard about the game. Though it seemed, and still seems, extremely ambitious, I really would like to see it succeed. However, I have not pledged any money at this time for various reasons including the massive hype. While I have supported several beta version games on Steam, some of the monetary amounts on Star Citizen are borderline ridiculous in my opinion. I really do hope it succeeds and lives up to the majority of the expectations. I'll wait on this game until it officially releases before I spend RL $ on it. Though, if it ends up being a subscription based game, I will likely pass on it.

Yes some of the pledge packages are crazy expensive but that doesn't mean you have to choose them. Everything you can pledge for will be available for in game credits when the game is released, nothing will be exclusive. Also you can just pledge for the cheapest package which at €24/$30 includes Squadron 42 (single player campaign) and Star Citizen (persistent universe), you also get a starting ship the Aurora MR. I think that's pretty reasonable. Personally I went with the Avenger package at €60/$75
Cei 20th August 2014, 11:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Had there been a page I could link to that had, for example, new stretch goals, I would have done exactly that.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

You mean this page?
Gareth Halfacree 20th August 2014, 11:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals You mean this page?
I'd love to know where on that page you're seeing "new stretch goals," because I can see nothing beyond the $50M goal they've already passed.

http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk/pubimages/starcitizen.jpg
Cei 20th August 2014, 11:13 Quote
That's the page, but they were all at Gamescon when they passed the $50/51m goals and simply haven't updated the site. Apparently they've just landed back in the US, so I expect they'll be issuing updates when back at their desks.

EDIT: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14089-Letter-From-The-Chairman
There you go, stretch goal updates. $51m is a 'known space' map (decided by community poll), $52m is a jetpack and $53m is an "Independent Arbitrator Guild" in game.
Gareth Halfacree 20th August 2014, 11:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei
That's the page, but they were all at Gamescon when they passed the $50/51m goals and simply haven't updated the site. Apparently they've just landed back in the US, so I expect they'll be issuing updates when back at their desks.
So your answer is "you're right, Gareth, there are no new stretch goals listed on that page, I made a mistake." Good to know, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei
EDIT: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14089-Letter-From-The-Chairman
There you go, stretch goal updates.
Now that's more like it: that I will happily put in the article (and would have put in the article in the first place, had it been available at the time of writing.) I'll go and do a quick update to the piece now mentioning the new stretch goals - cheers!
Cei 20th August 2014, 11:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
So your answer is "you're right, Gareth, there are no new stretch goals listed on that page, I made a mistake." Good to know, thanks.

Yeah that ;) However they will update the page I linked, so it'll stand as a historical guide to the stretch goals. Yes, it doesn't list the new ones currently, my bad.
Quote:
Now that's more like it: that I will happily put in the article (and would have put in the article in the first place, had it been available at the time of writing.) I'll go and do a quick update to the piece now mentioning the new stretch goals - cheers!
No problem ;)
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums