Microsoft denies death of Games for Windows Live

Microsoft denies death of Games for Windows Live

The marketplace feature of Games for Windows Live shut down last August but the platform itself has continued to be supported.

Reports of the demise of Games for Windows Live have been greatly exaggerated according to Microsoft.

In a statement issued to Game Informer, a Microsoft spokesperson said that its much maligned PC digital distribution service Games for Windows Live will not be taken offline in July as had previously been rumoured.

’We remain committed to investing in PC gaming in the years ahead and look forward to sharing more in the future,’ said the spokesperson. ’We are continuing to support the Games for Windows Live service.’

Last year, the notion that Games for WIndows Live would shutter its doors was started by a support page for Age of Empires ONline, which stated that the service would be stopped on July 1 2014. The post was swiftly deleted after a few hours.

The marketplace section of Games for Windows Live however did shut down last August and a more recent statement from Xbox division head Phil Spencer that Microsoft is not looking to go head-to-head with Valve’s Steam makes it unlikely that the marketplace will re-open.

As well as the marketplace closing its doors, many publishers have moved away from requiring Games for Windows Live authentication. Anything historically purchased through the platform can still however be run.

More details on the future of Games for Windows Live are expected to be announced later this year.

Corky42 23rd June 2014, 11:09 Quote
Sounds like they are trying to do a stealthy U turn. Not that Microsoft saying they are committed to investing in PC gaming is going to roll back the last 13 years of damage they have done.

I am probably going to incur the ire of people who disagree, but IMHO games on the PC have, and still are being held back by consoles. Not only has DirectX gone from almost yearly updates before the Xbox to now only being updated when new consoles hit the market.

We also have to contended with ports from the consoles either being held back on the PC because they have not scaled up to better hardware, or worse still claims that develops are now gimping PC versions of games because they don't want to show the latest generation of consoles in a bad light and thusly effect sales.
Impatience 23rd June 2014, 11:17 Quote
I WISH it would shut down! It's only been causing me greif on every (no lie) game that uses it's services!
r3loaded 23rd June 2014, 12:49 Quote
It should be shut down, but only after games like Bulletstorm have it patched out. And I'd like that particular patch sometime soon, thank you very much.
Sgoaty 23rd June 2014, 12:54 Quote
I really enjoyed Dirt 3 but its a GFWL title and the store is closed so i couldnt get any of the DLC!
Impatience 23rd June 2014, 13:17 Quote
+1 with Sgoaty.. I'm trying to play GTA4, but it says I have to do an update.. Naturally the update cannot be made, so i'm unable to use the DLC! -.-"
TreeDude 23rd June 2014, 13:29 Quote
Never had an issue with GFWL. I was sad to see it removed from the Batman games. I have lots of XBL friends and enjoy getting achievements.
Fizzban 23rd June 2014, 13:58 Quote
GFWL is the worst! Everytime it needs to update it will fail, thus preventing you from playing or saving. What really pisses me off is when you buy a game on Steam and yet you STILL have the GFWL crap. I never finished Lost Planet or Bioshock 2 because of it. No great loss I hear you say, but I paid for them and expected to be able to play them.

It needs to die!
Impatience 23rd June 2014, 14:35 Quote
Originally Posted by Fizzban

It needs to die!

+1 with Bioshock! I managed to get 2hrs playtime on it, now it refuses to play nicely!

It may be my install of GFWL or some part of that package, but guess what? I CAN'T re-install it, as it's now not available to get the updates without crashing! (As far as I've experienced...)
DbD 23rd June 2014, 16:49 Quote
Hate it - got to use it with Lost Planet and it's just makes everything like playing with friends really difficult.
the-beast 23rd June 2014, 18:15 Quote
Hopefully developers/publishers will move away from Steam as well as G4WL and put it all on GOG.COM!
Frohicky1 23rd June 2014, 19:35 Quote