Women gamers more likely to be befriended online by being polite

Women gamers more likely to be befriended online by being polite

The research used Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and found that skill level had no impact on the findings.

Women behaving politely and positively during online shooters are more likely to be accepted as friends than if they had been aggressive or antagonistic, according to a new study.

Conducted by researchers at Virginia Tech, Ohio State and Pennsylvania State Universities, the study looked at player interaction in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Participants played using clear gender specific names either aggressively or passively and then followed this up with a friend request to see if this would be accepted or not.

Whilst women found more success following passive play, the opposite was true for men with their friend requests more likely to succeed if they had been more verbal and aggressive. Over the entire study, women were however more likely to have their friend requests accepted in general.

The level of skill that players displayed during the game did not appear to have any effect on the likeliness of having a request accepted or denied.

‘Sex role stereotyping by players in first-person shooter games and other online gaming environments may encourage a social environment that marginalizes and alienates female players. The anonymity of online games may engender endorsement of group-consistent attitudes and amplification of social stereotyping,’ warns the report.

The study is part of a series of research papers on Computers in Human Behaviours.

Soylent Red 17th June 2014, 10:22 Quote
They needed a study to conclude that gamers would accept in-game friend requests from women?!
Corky42 17th June 2014, 10:46 Quote
What worries me more is that the study found "the opposite was true for men with their friend requests more likely to succeed if they had been more verbal and aggressive."

Is it just me that wouldn't care if it was a man or a woman, if they talk rubbish and come across aggressive i wouldn't want to know. Gender shouldn't effect how you react to someone.
theshadow2001 17th June 2014, 11:28 Quote
Meh, seems to me like typical ape derived human behaviour. Young males prefer passive women who wont kick their ass and aggressive males that can help them dominate.
Pookie 17th June 2014, 11:32 Quote
Girls play games? ;-)
HeaverNothing 17th June 2014, 11:38 Quote
I think men and women gamers more likely to be befriended online by being polite. If someone is being a c*nt I wouldn't like them no matter their gender.
Maki role 17th June 2014, 19:16 Quote
I tend to find people don't notice others online unless they're being dicks tbh. I bet they receive more friend requests to begin with. Certainly I have some friends who love to BM ingame, I'm always astounded by how much attention they get (why they do it I guess), never been my thing, but I can understand it somewhat. It's almost a simple parallel to real life really.
rayson 18th June 2014, 06:34 Quote
they played cod and most likely on console? aka new term -> (doesn't relate to me.)
proxess 18th June 2014, 08:15 Quote
Playing GuildWars2, the playerbase is fairly 50-50, and usually what happens is:
Males befriend usually when they're more aggressive on Teamspeak, but there are limits (note: Kid Inkk).
Females however are usually only befriended when they're "nice".