bit-gamer.net

Ubisoft to develop Tetris for PS4 and Xbox One

Ubisoft to develop Tetris for PS4 and Xbox One

Tetris

Ubisoft has secured the rights to develop a new series of Tetris games for the PS4 and Xbox One, it has been announced.

Few details of what sort of games we can expect from the deal have yet been revealed but Ubisoft points out it is the 30th anniversary of Tetris during 2014 so expect to see titles arrive soon.

Henk B. Rogers, managing director of The Tetris Company, LLC, welcomed the announcement, declaring “I am 100% sure they will develop one of the best versions of the Tetris game ever.”

Meanwhile Ubisoft's co-founder and CEO, Yves Guillemot, added that “We’re very excited to start working with this world-renowned brand, and can’t wait to combine Ubisoft’s expertise and all the capacities of next-gen consoles to create an exciting new Tetris experience for fans.”

Would you play Tetris on your PS4 or Xbox One?

21 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
bawjaws 16th January 2014, 20:40 Quote
Well, colour me underwhelmed. I'd imagine that the probability of these Tetris games (noting that they're talking about a series of games) being inferior to, say, the Gameboy version is pretty close to one.
mi1ez 16th January 2014, 21:00 Quote
“I am 100% sure they will develop one of the best versions of the Tetris game ever.”

Can never beat the Game Boy version, Sorry!
Woodspoon 16th January 2014, 21:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez
Can never beat the Game Boy version, Sorry!

^^ this

Will be interesting to see how Ubisoft manage to screw something as simple as Tetris up, because they probably will some how.
Delphium 16th January 2014, 21:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez
Can never beat the Game Boy version, Sorry!
^ This.

This brings me visions of them making Tetris in a totally 3 Dimensional form, with 3D blocks and multiple sides to tackle.
greypilgers 16th January 2014, 21:42 Quote
Can't wait for the next appropriate game-software for a next-gen console... HD Noughts and Crosses, anyone?
Sloth 16th January 2014, 21:53 Quote
An extensive singeplayer campaign in which players start with single block types and progressively unlock more as they complete missions! Or, unlock the full experience right away for $4.99 on the Uplay Store*!

Always-on connection to the Uplay Utetris network**! Keep in touch with all of your friends as you fight to save the block world one line at a time. Share your high scores, screenshots and more in real time.

A vast and detailed world is before you. With a variety of environments to play in such as a forest, city, volcano, and alone in your parents' basement trying to escape from the cruel reality of their eventual divorce***!

Utetris. Block on.



* - Pricing subject to change. USD, GBP and EUR prices chosen arbitrarily and not linked by any exchange rate or standards.
** - Network connection required for all Utetris play.
*** - Childhood memories may vary. Ubisoft is not responsible for any unearthed trauma.
loftie 16th January 2014, 22:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by greypilgers
Can't wait for the next appropriate game-software for a next-gen console... HD Noughts and Crosses, anyone?

Won't improve on this

F7qOV8xonfY
freshsandwiches 17th January 2014, 00:52 Quote
They will sell different shape blocks as DLC. You saw it here first!
Griffter 17th January 2014, 06:12 Quote
next gen version will be riddled with bugs and require always online.
Draksis 17th January 2014, 06:43 Quote
Unless they bring in Achievements and a good Co-op/Multiplayer I'm not even going to think about this..

And it goes without says there better be at least some form of Walkthrough for the single player part. The original version didn't even have that! :(

You've been warning Ubi!
Griffter 17th January 2014, 07:39 Quote
pre-alpha released on steam tomoro i've heard - for early adopters! 3d print model included of the Zed shape
Griffter 17th January 2014, 07:40 Quote
also... will xbone only output it in 720p?
DbD 17th January 2014, 11:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphium
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez
Can never beat the Game Boy version, Sorry!
^ This.

This brings me visions of them making Tetris in a totally 3 Dimensional form, with 3D blocks and multiple sides to tackle.

Already exists, played that many years ago on the PC, was fun but tricky.

None can beat monty python holy grail tetris where you have to chuck tetris block shaped body's into a pit but occasionally one shouts "I'm not dead yet!" and moves changing the shape of the block :)
suenstar 17th January 2014, 11:32 Quote
I'm looking forward to seeing how they manage to work QTE sequences into the game.

You want to turn the shape, you need to do a QTE.
You want to destroy the line after matching up the shapes to fill a gap, QTE!
Complete a QTE to proceed to the next level.


You know a publisher is struggling to think of an IP when they're latest big announcement is the rehash of a timeless classic.
XXAOSICXX 17th January 2014, 11:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenstar
I'm looking forward to seeing how they manage to work QTE sequences into the game.

You want to turn the shape, you need to do a QTE.
You want to destroy the line after matching up the shapes to fill a gap, QTE!
Complete a QTE to proceed to the next level.


You know a publisher is struggling to think of an IP when they're latest big announcement is the rehash of a timeless classic.

Pieces will automatically fall into the correct place so long as you're mashing SPACE constantly :p
ChaosDefinesOrder 17th January 2014, 11:59 Quote
Next instalment of Assassins Creed set in Russia?
Star*Dagger 18th January 2014, 10:09 Quote
Is this for real?

I gave up on tetris in 1986.

Bring on Star*Citizen and Oculus Rift, people weak-minded enough to play Tetris in 2014 can ... uh do so.

Weird, makes one think what it must be like to be on the left side of the intelligence distribution curve.
Dude111 18th January 2014, 10:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmotion
"they will develop one of the best versions of the Tetris game ever"
I think the BEST TETRIS GAME I have seen is here

www.flashjatek.info/flash/Miniclip%20Tetris/Miniclip%20Tetris.swf (flash)
Nexxo 18th January 2014, 16:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth
An extensive singeplayer campaign in which players start with single block types and progressively unlock more as they complete missions! Or, unlock the full experience right away for $4.99 on the Uplay Store*!

Always-on connection to the Uplay Utetris network**! Keep in touch with all of your friends as you fight to save the block world one line at a time. Share your high scores, screenshots and more in real time.

A vast and detailed world is before you. With a variety of environments to play in such as a forest, city, volcano, and alone in your parents' basement trying to escape from the cruel reality of their eventual divorce***!

Utetris. Block on.



* - Pricing subject to change. USD, GBP and EUR prices chosen arbitrarily and not linked by any exchange rate or standards.
** - Network connection required for all Utetris play.
*** - Childhood memories may vary. Ubisoft is not responsible for any unearthed trauma.

Well, that's a bit cynical. True, but cynical. :p
Phil Rhodes 20th January 2014, 18:38 Quote
Let me be the first to rush out and buy a £500 console to play bloody Tetris.
Pete J 20th January 2014, 19:50 Quote
Question is, how can they fit achievements into this game? Also, how are they going to justify the always online DRM?

I can see a load of weird game mechanics creeping in as well. Slo mo, different characters to play with that give you slight advantages (whatever the fudge they may be) etc. Hopefully the graphics will have moar lens flare because God knows modern games need that.

Well, I'm never going to play Tetris again at any rate. I've launched the rocket into space in the Gameboy version and launched the space shuttle in the Gameboy Colour version. Fond memories.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums