FTL iPad port and free expansion announced

FTL iPad port and free expansion announced

The iPad version will feature a redesigned UI to better capitalise on the touch screen input.

Popular indie space-based rogue-like FTL: Faster Than Light is getting a free expansion and an iPad port early next year.

FTL: Advanced Edition will add new content to the desperate space-ship captain simulator including new weapons, drones, systems and enemies. The expansion will also feature a new sector with new events, some of which have been written by Planescape: Torment and Wasteland 2 writer Chris Avellone.

The new content will also introduce mind controlling and hacking systems to vary fights a little more.

On the technical side of the game, the FTL team has also added a little more polish to the title allowing players to save and quit during combat and crew positions can be saved, meaning less repetitive order assignment is required.

For the iPad version of FTL, developer Subset Games has redesigned the interface to work better with touch screen devices and has been tested on both the regular iPads and iPad minis. The iPad version will also include all of the extra features of FTL: Advanced Edition.

The team is also looking into developing for Android and Surface tablets but is not going to be bringing it to phones as they did not feel the smaller screen could do the game justice.

The expansion and the iPad version of FTL will be released in early 2014.

FTL was first released in September 2012 and is one of the notable success stories to come out of Kickstarter. Of its $10,000 goal, the title was pledged $200,542 by the time the campaign closed.

Spreadie 12th November 2013, 09:36 Quote
Great news, I've been looking forward to a DLC for this!
Bindibadgi 12th November 2013, 09:40 Quote
As a two-man indie dev, they are absolutely crazy giving this away for free. It's a fantastic game and all that extra content and polish is really worth something, unlike so much of the trash DLC out there.

Five quid DLC for two blokes putting in all those hours? No question: would be happy to!
Krikkit 12th November 2013, 09:42 Quote
Agreed Bindi - think I'll be buying yet another copy. It's hard, occasionally frustrating play, but what a fantastic game this is.
Spreadie 12th November 2013, 09:59 Quote
I'd have no problems coughing up a few quid for a DLC - I love this game. I've put 200+ hours into it.
Blackshark 12th November 2013, 14:20 Quote
Yes I agree about FoC - I will likely buy a third copy when the advanced comes out, just to show a bit more support. But for a long time they have been saying extra content was a definite no-no. Just recently I checked on the web site and forums, so I wonder why it took them this long to plan this...
Spreadie 12th November 2013, 14:30 Quote
Originally Posted by Blackshark

Bindi may have hit the nail on the head - two man coding team.
steveo_mcg 12th November 2013, 23:14 Quote
Finally a decent iPad game.