bit-gamer.net

Hackers hit Arma developer, Bohemia Interactive

Hackers hit Arma developer, Bohemia Interactive

The Bohemia Interactive forum will be offline until the security breach has been adequately patched up.

Hackers have hit Arma developer Bohemia Interactive and made off with a database full of the company's registered users' personal data

Bohemia Interactive has shut down its servers whilst it patches up the breach and issued a warning on its site and in an email to users that it thinks could have been affected.

The database downloaded during the breach contained personal information including users' forum usernames, email addresses and encrypted passwords for the sites. However, Bohemia Interactive feels that the passwords should not be a concern.

'Please note due to the encryption of the passwords it is very unlikely that anything nefarious can be done with this information,' said a Bohemia Interactive spokesperson.

The developer also reassures everyone that no other information, such as credit card details, that it stores on its system was swiped in the attack and was not at any kind of risk from the hack.

As a precaution, passwords for the site have been reset and must be fixed via its password recover page by users trying to get access to the site again.

Bohemia Interactive is set to release Arma 3 later on this year and the much anticipated first person military sim is currently in beta testing which started last month.

The developer is also working on a standalone version of DayZ, the highly popular zombie survival Arma 2 mod with its creator Dean Hall. Although the game is not yet ready to be shown off, a release date has apparently been set internally.

6 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
miller 12th July 2013, 12:43 Quote
When a company has been hacked they often say something along the lines of, "The developer also reassures everyone that no other information, such as credit card details, that it stores on its system was swiped in the attack and was not at any kind of risk from the hack."

Are we supposed to believe this? Considering that the most important info would be the credit card details and hackers have compromised the site why would they stop at emails and logins surely if they have the ability to do this they could get credit details and if the level of security used for the credit card details is that strong that the hackers cannot access it why is the other data not treated with the same security?
sub routine 12th July 2013, 13:09 Quote
i bet its the greeks wasting their intelligence budget trying to cause unrest.
edzieba 12th July 2013, 14:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller
Considering that the most important info would be the credit card details and hackers have compromised the site why would they stop at emails and logins surely if they have the ability to do this they could get credit details and if the level of security used for the credit card details is that strong that the hackers cannot access it why is the other data not treated with the same security?
Because compromising forum login details is usually through exploiting bugs in the forum software, which is not particularly rigorous in regards to security. However, payment processing occurs in different software, and usually in physically different servers, and is subjected to significantly more rigorous standards of security.


It's like complaining that a burglar that got into a shed and stole your bike because you haven't changed the padlock for 20 years must therefore be able to break into your house and crack a safe you replace every 3 months just as easily.
miller 12th July 2013, 17:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzieba
Because compromising forum login details is usually through exploiting bugs in the forum software, which is not particularly rigorous in regards to security. However, payment processing occurs in different software, and usually in physically different servers, and is subjected to significantly more rigorous standards of security.


It's like complaining that a burglar that got into a shed and stole your bike because you haven't changed the padlock for 20 years must therefore be able to break into your house and crack a safe you replace every 3 months just as easily.

Makes sense and I know many companies say they don't store credit details on their servers and when you pay for something you're can see you have been transferred to a banking server when your details are confirmed but what made me question this hack was that the company said
Quote:
"such as credit card details, that it stores on its system"
I was a bit surprised that they would hold this data and if they don't they should make that clearer.
Yorkie 12th July 2013, 22:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller
Makes sense and I know many companies say they don't store credit details on their servers and when you pay for something you're can see you have been transferred to a banking server when your details are confirmed but what made me question this hack was that the company said
Quote:

"such as credit card details, that it stores on its system"
I was a bit surprised that they would hold this data and if they don't they should make that clearer.

Might be because Bohemia didn't actually say this on their site
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemia
We would like to reassure everyone that no other information such as credit card details is stored by us and thus was not at any risk from this illegal breach.
http://www.bistudio.com/english/home/news/company/385-bohemia-interactive-security-update

And was just a poor choice of words by bit-tech
sotu1 15th July 2013, 15:10 Quote
Bohemia aren't having much luck are they?
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums