Heart of the Swarm sells 1.1m in two days

Heart of the Swarm sells 1.1m in two days

Heart of the Swarm did not sell quite as quickly as Wings of Liberty but has still had a successful launch.

Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm has managed to shift 1.1 million copies worldwide in just two days, according to Blizzard.

The 1.1 million in sales are made up of both physical and digital copies, although Blizzard has not stated how this figure was split between the two.

Launched on March 12, Blizzard also revealed that its launch day event broadcast online clocked up a further 1.1 million viewers, with the number of concurrent viewers peaking at 125,000.

In a further coincidence, another 1.1 million viewers tuned in to last weekend's Major League Gaming winter championship Heart of the Swarm tournament, with a peak of 157,000 concurrent viewers. The tournament was won by previous 2012 fall championship winner Lee 'Life' Seung Hyun, who collected the $25,000 grand prize.

The first Starcraft 2 release, Wings of Liberty, managed to break the 1 million mark by the end of its first day on sale, reaching 1.5 million in sales by day two.

Heart of the Swarm is the first major expansion to Starcraft 2 and features a zerg-focused campaign and has added new units to all three races in the popular multiplayer component of Starcraft 2. Despite being labelled as an expansion, it still features a lengthy single player campaign that picks up the story from where Wings of Liberty left off and has made substantial changes to the balance of the multiplayer.

The final Starcraft 2 instalment will be the Protoss-focused Legacy of the Void, which is yet to receive an official release date. Starcraft 2 game director Dustin Browder has however stated that they will be doing their best to reduce the time between expansions with this one.

Griffter 22nd March 2013, 10:42 Quote
sooooo long till the end of the story. hope im alive to see that and hope im below 50yrs old to get HL3 and prey its actually a wrap up of the story.
bowman 22nd March 2013, 10:51 Quote
That tournament was actually greatly entertaining, even if I am utterly **** at Starcraft. I'll be watching more of those.
XXAOSICXX 22nd March 2013, 11:21 Quote
Mega-snoozefest :/
Harlequin 22nd March 2013, 11:47 Quote
the live stream was awesome ; doubt I`ll egt to that macro level - far better than twitch kill cowadoody
alick 22nd March 2013, 14:33 Quote
thats the first tourdment iv seen Flash in i wonder how many people tuned in just to see this legendry teren Bonjwa
schmidtbag 22nd March 2013, 15:36 Quote
I want SC2 but I want to wait until all 3 parts of it are released, since Blizzard often does a nice "Battle Chest" pack for a good price.
ccxo 22nd March 2013, 18:40 Quote
Originally Posted by schmidtbag

Its going to be a while, 2 years 9 months since SC2 was released (its still £22), proably be another 2 years till we see legacy of the void and it will likely be full price as hots has been and for a battle chest to appear proably another year+.
rollo 22nd March 2013, 18:43 Quote
Your looking at 3-4 years minimum till a battle chest. Took wow 6 years.
schmidtbag 22nd March 2013, 18:48 Quote
Yeah, but I didn't get SC1 until like 2006, so I can wait. As of right now I don't have the time to play SC2 anyway. When SC3 comes out, if I have time and if there is no mention of when/if a battle chest will be released, I'll probably just get all 3 at the same time. Besides, I'd like to play the game at full or nearly full detail, which my computer ATM probably can't do.

On a side note, anyone know if there's a level editor for SC2? I made some pretty good maps in SC1, I got several compliments on different maps I made.
Harlequin 22nd March 2013, 18:50 Quote
SC2 been down to £14.99 a few times recently
freshsandwiches 23rd March 2013, 00:16 Quote
@schmidtbag

Yes there is a level editor. It's worth metioning that SC2 is free to play to an extent. You can play online custom games as Terran with just a battle.net account. You also get the first four levels of the campaign.
jimmyjj 23rd March 2013, 23:35 Quote
As a total cheapskate who does not buy anything unless it it massively reduced, I paid full price for SC2 and Heart of the Swarm they were worth every penny just for single player.
DriftCarl 24th March 2013, 11:14 Quote
I hardly ever play single player games anymore. when SC2 came out I jumped straight into ladder games. When BF3 came out I jumped straight onto multiplayer servers. I generally just dont find single player games fun anymore. Although I have played a bit of the walking dead episodes.

I havn't got HOTS yet, since I just got simcity(playing with friends on the same map :) ) and the new BF3 DLC came out, I have plenty of things to do.