Elite Kickstarter launches

Elite Kickstarter launches

The original Elite is one of the first examples of a true open world game and packed a huge amount of content into only 22K of memory.

A sequel to classic space-faring series Elite has appeared on Kickstarter.

Elite: Dangerous is looking for £1.25m of funding and as of writing has already almost hit the £300,000 mark with 58 days to go.

On the Kickstarter page, Elite developer David Braben states that work on a new Elite game has been ticking over for quite some time now, with small teams developing the title as they become available.

'I’ll be frank - we have had a couple of false starts on this over the years, where progress wasn’t as good as I wanted,' said Braben. 'Also, understandably, other projects have been prioritised – projects with announced dates or other commitments.'

The Kickstarter platform has been chosen to not only raise the required funds, but also as a method of test-marketing the game itself to check that there is widespread interest in the game beyond a core group of fans. Braben also states that he doesn't believe the traditional game publishing method can deliver a game like Elite successfully and the Kickstarter project will allow them to avoid that route.

Specific details and screenshots of Elite: Dangerous have not yet been released, but the title will rely heavily on procedural generation, much like previous entries in the series.

The original Elite was released in 1984 on the BBC Micro and Acorn Electron and fitted into approximately 22K of memory which as Braben points out, is smaller than a typical email. In that 22K of memory, Elite managed to cram in eight galaxies, 256 star systems and individual planets with their own legal systems and economies.

Elite spawned two sequels in Frontier: Elite II and Frontier: First Encounters, released on Amiga, Atari and PC. Work on Elite 4 has apparently been ongoing since 1998.

Blackshark 7th November 2012, 11:01 Quote
no link?
vampalan 7th November 2012, 11:05 Quote
gosh, will need to google it myself
PQuiff 7th November 2012, 12:01 Quote
DAAAMMMM...why is this happening all at once? Theres star citizen as well.

tad2008 7th November 2012, 16:40 Quote
Why do people need Elite 4 when they already have Eve Online that was inspired not only by Elite but also games like Freelancer and others and then went way beyond that.

Star Citizen looks interesting and good to see a developer so passionate about PC gaming tho it's a shame his "vision" still seems limited in what is on offer, tho the free to play model is certainly appealing.
steveo_mcg 7th November 2012, 16:53 Quote
Eve is very expensive, if you only play a few hours a month a single payment game works out much cheaper. Besides last time I played Eve I spent more time reading whilst my ship sat mining, decided it was an expensive way to make time for books.
blacko 7th November 2012, 17:31 Quote
EVE is good if you've got no life and a decent bank balance.
Woodspoon 8th November 2012, 03:44 Quote
As much as I would love this to work and as much as I loved playing the original, EvE really as picked up where Elite left off and done so much more, I'm not sure it'll do well.
Nostalgia can be great but it doesn't always sell very well.
mclean007 8th November 2012, 08:27 Quote
Originally Posted by Woodspoon
Nostalgia can be great but it doesn't always sell very well.
Depends how it's priced - at £15 I'd pick up a copy for a quick blast just for old times' sake, but if it is released at £40+ then I'll steer clear.
GravitySmacked 8th November 2012, 08:51 Quote
As I posted in the other thread I had a blast with Eve for the first 2 years after launch but then I had children and couldn't afford to sink so much time into a game (getting around in Eve isn't the speediest) plus all the politics, interesting yes but also time consuming. Still Eve is one of my favourite games of all time but I haven't got the time anymore.

Bring on a new Elite; the original game made me a gamer.