Angry Birds Star Wars crossover planned

Angry Birds Star Wars crossover planned

The birds and the pigs will take on roles from the rebel alliance and the empire respectively.

Rovio's massively merchandised Angry Birds is to team up with Lucasfilm to launch an Angry Birds Star Wars title as well as a series of officially licensed toys and paraphernalia.

The iconic birds and pigs will take on the roles of the equally identifiable rebel alliance and empire respectively. The game will be released on November 8 with the merchandise set to hit stores on October 28.

Merchandise will include action figures, plush toys, and bizarrely Halloween costumes. This assumedly means that fans can dress up as birds and pigs that are dressing up as jedi knights and stormtroopers.

'Both Star Wars and Angry Birds share the instant and irresistible appeal of hands-on fun,' said Lucasfilm vice-president and head of studio operations Colum Slevin. 'People seem to instinctively know what to do when handed a lightsaber or a bird in a slingshot, so this is a natural combination.'

The game will be available on iOS, Android, Mac, PC and Windows Phone and will retread classic Star Wars locations including Tatooine and the Death Star.

'This is the best Angry Birds game we’ve ever done. It’s the best parts of Angry Birds with all new cutting-edge gameplay set in in a galaxy far, far away,' said Rovio chief marketing officer Peter Vesterbacka. 'As a big Star Wars fan myself, I’m really excited about this new universe.'

Both Star Wars and Angry Birds are notorious for their weighty merchandising and licensing efforts. Angry Birds has previously teamed up with 20th Century Fox for a game themed around its animated film Rio and earlier this year teamed up with Greenday to collaborate on Angry Bird's Facebook game.

The Star Wars license has had varying degrees of reception ranging from the widely loathed Vodafone and Currys PC World advertising tie ins through to the much more successful and popular Lego Star Wars video game series and selection of toys.

Dave Lister 9th October 2012, 09:31 Quote
For me the best Star Wars tie in had to be the Family Guy ones but I did enjoy lego star wars as well. Anyway I'll happily give this a try in November.
theshadow2001 9th October 2012, 09:59 Quote

What an inane statement.
Blademrk 9th October 2012, 13:26 Quote
I thought the Star Wars Currys/PC World ads were quite apt. Darth Vader going into one of the stores shows that Currys/PCW belongs to the Sith...
SMIFFYDUDE 9th October 2012, 15:29 Quote
George Lucas bleeds yet more money out of his thirty odd year old film franchise. Slow news day?
Guinevere 9th October 2012, 16:14 Quote
I'm of the generation that felt Star Wars was something special. We had three movies, some great toys and best of all very few people knew how low George Lucas could go - I'm talking about the true horror of The Holiday Special.

We accepted Mark Hamil's wooden performance because of the facial injury he got towards the end of filming.

We accepted Ewoks because we knew they really should have been Wookies had they had the budget.

We even begrudgingly accepted the dross at the edges of the franchise as long as we didn't have to watch the Ewok movies .

And then came the god-awful prequels, George's "I'm not finished yet - just one more tweak" habit of dicking around with episodes IV,V & VI and the sin of sins - the unstoppable merchandising machine that will connect literally anything to the star wars name if they can make a quick buck. *

Need I say more? George Lucas took something magical and turned it into something David Blaine

The only shining light is we got Star Wars Lego, the best mash-up since the Utah Saints said "How about an Annie Lennox sample?"

* Actually the sin of sins is the whole Han / Greedo thing. As it fundamentally changes a character's personality I find it even worse than those vomit inducing Disney dance spectaculars or Kinect games.

Edit: Yes I'm sure I'll buy this angry birds game just like I've bought all the others, but I've got five year old twins - I'm allowed to buy crap like this.
dolphie 10th October 2012, 04:48 Quote
"People that have brains will like our game. You DO have a brain.... don't you?" - said vice president scrooge mcduck as he rolled in his swimming pool full of money.