New 'n' Tasty Abe's Oddysey remake detailed

New 'n' Tasty Abe's Oddysey remake detailed

The original Abe's Oddysey was first launched in 1997 on the first Playstation, with Abe being one of Sony's unofficial mascots for the console.

Iconic 2D platformer Abe's Oddysey is getting a new 2.5D remake that is aiming for a Q4 2013 release.

Developer Just Add Water asked series fans to suggest names for the new HD version last month and have settled on Abe's Oddysee - New 'n' Tasty. The title will launch on Xbox Live Marketplace, the Playstation Network for both the Playstation 3 and the PS Vita, and will subsequently be released on the PC.

New 'n' Tasty was shown off for the first time at the Eurogamer Expo by Oddworld founder Lorne Lanning and Just Add Water chief executive Stewart Gilray. In-engine cutscenes have replaced full motion video versions and new seamless camera movements replace the original's single screened stages.

In addition to the HD Abe's Oddysey, Just Add Water is aiming for a mid-November 2012 PS Vita release of Stranger's Wrath, the first person shooter entry to the Oddworld series.

According to Just Add Water, the 2009 re-releases of Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exodus have so far sold approximately 750,000 units combined across the PC, PS3 and PS Vita downloads.

Oddworld fans will also be pleased to hear that Just Add Water intends to start prototyping the revived real-time-strategy title Hand of Odd early next year. Hand of Odd was one of the titles originally planned to make up the Oddworld Quintology that was publicised around Abe's Oddysee's original 1997 release. It was brought back to the drawing board in April 2011.

Griffter 3rd October 2012, 08:59 Quote
yes yes yes, just showed my GF the original game on youtube saying how great it was. i never clocked it. will do this time.
phinix 3rd October 2012, 09:27 Quote
Yay!!! That was a good fun, loved that game...
Draksis 3rd October 2012, 10:25 Quote
Epic Cheesecake!

That is all.
ShinyAli 3rd October 2012, 12:05 Quote
I still have the original game, those farts, those giggles and that damn dog

Don't think I've heard of "Munch's Oddysee" but for £4.99 I might give it a go.

Stranger's Wrath features a new character in Oddworld and it doesn't look like Abe is in it >:(

I will definitely give the new game a play
Blademrk 3rd October 2012, 13:16 Quote
What I've played of Stranger's Wrath (it was on PS+ a few months ago) was quite fun (although, I admit I've only played it briefly). I think I might have it on Steam too.
Prowler_88 3rd October 2012, 14:27 Quote
Played the original through again last year...such a great game. Not sure about seamless camera movement though; one of the joys of the game was running from screen to screen and never quite knowing where enemies were.
Eiffie 3rd October 2012, 19:48 Quote
Originally Posted by ShinyAli
I still have the original game, those farts, those giggles and that damn dog

Don't think I've heard of "Munch's Oddysee" but for £4.99 I might give it a go.

I will definitely give the new game a play

Munch's Oddysee is a very good game. I always regretted selling my copy that I had for my original xbox and was so excited to see it finally on steam. Having those lil furry chicken nugget characters following munch around and eating the crap outta the bad guys never got old.