E3: Ubisoft announces Watch Dogs

E3: Ubisoft announces Watch Dogs

Ubisoft's Watch Dogs will launch on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. No release date just yet though.

At its pre-E3 press conference Ubisoft has announced a new stealth and hacking game being developed by the Ubisoft Montreal studio, called Watch Dogs.

Developed by a team comprised of former Rainbow Six, Far Cry and Assassin's Creed developers, Watch Dogs uses city-wide hacking as it's main mechanic, letting players power down areas of the city, listen in on phone calls and create pile-ups by interfering with traffic systems.

In the live demonstration show however, stealth and hacking opportunities quickly collapsed into huge explosions and gunfights.

Ubisoft has confirmed that the game will be released on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, but has failed to offer a release date yet. Unconfirmed rumours point to a possible 2014 release date, however.

"Watch Dogs goes beyond the limits of today's open-world games by giving players the ability to control an entire city," said creative director Jonathan Morin.

"In Watch Dogs, anything connected to the city's Central Operating System becomes a weapon. By pushing the boundaries, we can provide players with action and access to information on a scale that's never been seen in a video game before."

Check the trailer below and let us know your thoughts in the forums.

Valinor 5th June 2012, 13:47 Quote
From the expectations the trailer gave me, if the game's half as good as I'm thinking I'd probably buy it. Then again, this could be one of those things which is very easy to ruin with a couple of bad decisions, so I'm waiting hopefully (for a year and a half, dammit!)
Bokonist 5th June 2012, 13:57 Quote
Looks fantastic. How 'open world' is it going to be though? The cut scenes look like they steer you in a definite direction(great voice acting though I thought). What good is access to all that information if you're unable to really choose what you do with it? I'll keep an open mind though till I know more.
DriftCarl 5th June 2012, 16:49 Quote
Glad this game being made for PC, i did not expect this when i was watching the presentation and instantly wanted it. The gfx look great, if I have to wait till 2014 i would be kind of annoyed :)
feathers 5th June 2012, 17:40 Quote
I guess they need to think about how they can ruin it by optimising it for consoles.
Omnituens 5th June 2012, 18:40 Quote
Ubisoft? Will have to wait to see what DRM they try shoehorning into it first.
jimmyjj 5th June 2012, 20:46 Quote
Looks great.
erratum1 5th June 2012, 22:18 Quote
The graphics do look very good, I thought the 'last of us' looked good as well.
dark_avenger 6th June 2012, 01:25 Quote
Originally Posted by Omnituens
Ubisoft? Will have to wait to see what DRM they try shoehorning into it first.

My first thought as well, I'm sure it will be their broken always on DRM.