bit-gamer.net

Garry Newman points to impending Half-Life 3 release

Garry Newman points to impending Half-Life 3 release

The T-shirt clearly bears the Half-Life 3 logo, but is Newman just - as he claims - trolling his followers for fun?

The first hint of firm evidence as to the existence of a true sequel to Half-Life 2 has finally appeared, courtesy a rather strange medium: a promotional T-shirt.

According to Garry Newman, creator of the famous Garry's Mod physics playground system for Half-Life 2, Valve is quietly distributing T-shirts bearing a familiar logo with a twist: while the encircled lambda of Half-Life 2 is clearly visible, the numeral has been incremented to 3.

Valve, for its part, isn't talking; while Garry is keeping fans guessing by following up the image, which he posted to microblogging service Twitter, with a simple statement: 'Of course I'm trolling!'

Fans, however, are wondering if the move could be a double-bluff; Valve is notorious for running strange marketing campaigns, up to and including complex and intricate alternate reality games (ARG) such as that which preceded the launch of first-person puzzler Portal 2.

The image of the T-shirt shows no signs of modification, suggesting that the article itself is real; the question that remains unanswered, however, is whether Newman created the item himself to troll his followers or if Valve really is beginning to hint at another entry in the Half-Life universe.

Perhaps the biggest clue, however, is in the nomenclature used: the next Half-Life game due for release is Half-Life 2: Episode 3, the follow-up to 2007's Episode 2 and originally slated for preview at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2008.

Since then, Valve has been silent on Episode 3. However, Newman's image suggests that the company could be skipping the final episodic entry entirely in favour of an entire sequel. If so, it's a move that could please fans who have waited patiently through two Portal games to get their hands on Gordon Freeman's latest adventure.

Until Valve speaks out on the matter, however, it's likely too early to get excited.

Do you think Newman's just trolling, or could Valve really be planning a Half-Life 3 launch in the immediate future? Share your thoughts over in the forums.

20 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Jack_Pepsi 11th January 2012, 14:58 Quote
Don't care as long as I get episode 3/HL3.
notmeagain 11th January 2012, 15:18 Quote
Old news, Valve employees were wearing this t'shirt at an expo late last year, Gabe denied it at first but then stated via email that he's got no real control over what employees wear.

It would be stupid of valve to not announce it publicly, such an anticipated game will roll the hype mountain with or without t-shirts ;)
r3loaded 11th January 2012, 15:20 Quote
I doubt he's trolling just for kicks. Valve have a history of really drawing out their pre-release marketing campaigns.

I bet someone on the Steam forums will now find a hidden QR code in the picture that links to a website, which gives some GPS co-ordinates. At those co-ordinates there will be a buried chest, containing a crowbar and a note with an e-mail address and a codeword. Upon e-mailing the codeword to the address, a reply will be received with an attached photo of Gabe Newell wearing a shirt with a phone number. The phone number is connected to a BBS, which upon connecting sends an encryption key to the user. The photo has to be encrypted with this key, and uploaded to the original website. The website will then give the address of a convenience store in Bellevue, WA. Go to the store, ask the assistant to see the manager. The manager will hand you a package. The contents of the package will tell you everything about HL3...

There'll probably be more steps than this! :p
yassarikhan786 11th January 2012, 15:21 Quote
Still need to play the originals lol.
Hovis 11th January 2012, 15:21 Quote
Don't care, and I won't care up to the point that the game is released, and then I won't care even more unless it's spectacularly good. I enjoyed Half Life 2, but it's been surpassed, and frankly judging from Valve's recent efforts I've seen no evidence that they've got another world beater in them.
bob_lewis 11th January 2012, 15:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
snip

Pretty much this, yes.
javaman 11th January 2012, 16:10 Quote
I wouldnt be surprised if team fortress beta became team fortress 3.
damien c 11th January 2012, 16:58 Quote
If they do release it I hope it stick's to the original style of play and not copy the Cod industry of hand holding the players through every situation, and I hope it has had a dedicated PC team considering it will probably be released for consoles and be a console port.
Bauul 11th January 2012, 17:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovis
frankly judging from Valve's recent efforts I've seen no evidence that they've got another world beater in them.

What's been wrong with Vavle's last few games? L4D, L4D2 and Portal 2 have all been fantastic additions to anyone's portfolio of FPSs.
chemo 11th January 2012, 17:36 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul
What's been wrong with Vavle's last few games? L4D, L4D2 and Portal 2 have all been fantastic additions to anyone's portfolio of FPSs.

indeed!
and im sure i read a few weeks back that gabe wanted to/has scrapped episodic content.

roll on HL3!
steveo_mcg 11th January 2012, 17:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
If they do release it I hope it stick's to the original style of play and not copy the Cod industry of hand holding the players through every situation, and I hope it has had a dedicated PC team considering it will probably be released for consoles and be a console port.

I'm not sure why your so worried, valves history doesn't suggest it'll be just another port COD clone, they're about the only publishers of AAA games who actually innovate.

Though for HL3 more of the same will fine, I just want more story at this stage! HL4 can innovate....

Oh and 5k posts! Fitting its a HL thread.
glaeken 11th January 2012, 18:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
I doubt he's trolling just for kicks. Valve have a history of really drawing out their pre-release marketing campaigns.

I bet someone on the Steam forums will now find a hidden QR code in the picture that links to a website, which gives some GPS co-ordinates. At those co-ordinates there will be a buried chest, containing a crowbar and a note with an e-mail address and a codeword. Upon e-mailing the codeword to the address, a reply will be received with an attached photo of Gabe Newell wearing a shirt with a phone number. The phone number is connected to a BBS, which upon connecting sends an encryption key to the user. The photo has to be encrypted with this key, and uploaded to the original website. The website will then give the address of a convenience store in Bellevue, WA. Go to the store, ask the assistant to see the manager. The manager will hand you a package. The contents of the package will tell you everything about HL3...

There'll probably be more steps than this! :p

Haha, it's funny because it's true :)
Sanctus Terra 11th January 2012, 23:27 Quote
He's trolling, if it were another ARG, it would be a little more cryptic/less obvious.
bob_lewis 12th January 2012, 08:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctus Terra
He's trolling, if it were another ARG, it would be a little more cryptic/less obvious.

Unless it's a double-reverse counter-troll?
kinghaves 12th January 2012, 09:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_lewis
Unless it's a double-reverse counter-troll?

Damn them!
Guinevere 12th January 2012, 10:15 Quote
It's a different t-shirt to the one seen last month by a valve employee : http://bit.ly/ArDUBD

Q: What does that mean?

A: Likely that both of them bought ink-jet iron on t-shirt kits
Draksis 12th January 2012, 10:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
I doubt he's trolling just for kicks. Valve have a history of really drawing out their pre-release marketing campaigns.

I bet someone on the Steam forums will now find a hidden QR code in the picture that links to a website, which gives some GPS co-ordinates. At those co-ordinates there will be a buried chest, containing a crowbar and a note with an e-mail address and a codeword. Upon e-mailing the codeword to the address, a reply will be received with an attached photo of Gabe Newell wearing a shirt with a phone number. The phone number is connected to a BBS, which upon connecting sends an encryption key to the user. The photo has to be encrypted with this key, and uploaded to the original website. The website will then give the address of a convenience store in Bellevue, WA. Go to the store, ask the assistant to see the manager. The manager will hand you a package. The contents of the package will tell you everything about HL3...

There'll probably be more steps than this! :p

lol, in a nutshell :p

Personally I more inclined to think that it's a troll. T-shirts are easy and cheap to print, and everyone knows Half-Life uber-fans are strung out junkies itching for a fix.
Necrow 12th January 2012, 11:35 Quote
I found that the driving in the originals used to make me nauseous, so I never played much :(
HourBeforeDawn 15th January 2012, 20:49 Quote
as long as episode 3 is still in hl 3, I guess it would be okay, as long as we dont have any holes in the story :)
Vo0Ds 16th January 2012, 15:22 Quote
Most iconic series in PC gaming, a lot to live up to and confident they'll deliver. The Portal series is a credit to Valve and a brilliant companion in the HL universe.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums