bit-gamer.net

Deus Ex: Human Revolution sells 2.18 million

Deus Ex: Human Revolution sells 2.18 million

Deus Ex: Human Revolution has sold 2.18 million copies, proclaims Square Enix.

Publisher Square Enix has revealed financial figures as part of its bi-annual financial report, revealing a year-on-year fall in net sales of 15 per cent between April and September.

Net profit for the same period was up by 115 per cent to approximately £30 million, however - likely buoyed by specific titles which sold very well.

One of those titles was undoubtedly Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which Square Enix revealed has sold 2.18 million copies to date - the vast majority of which were sold in Europe.

Dungeon Siege 3, on the other hand, has only sold 820,000 units total according to Eurogamer.

If you're looking for impressive facts and figures however then look no further than PC indie hit Minecraft, which has announced its 4 millionth sale even despite the fact that it isn't fully launched yet.

Minecraft, currently in playable beta, goes on sale later this month. Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

12 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
wuyanxu 7th November 2011, 10:51 Quote
with success of this, hopefully they'll release a sequel that is just as good, without boss battles.
DragunovHUN 7th November 2011, 11:13 Quote
2 million copies for DXHR? That's only the PC version, right?
atlas 7th November 2011, 11:54 Quote
It's a great game those numbers could be a lot higher I think.
Xir 7th November 2011, 11:57 Quote
If there's a sweet deal in the Steam-christmas-sale, that number can be easily toppeled.
specofdust 7th November 2011, 11:58 Quote
Not bad for an incomplete game, good thing they were nice enough to release a patch ("DLC") for the most inconsequential sum of 9 simoleons! Here's hoping they see fit to take even more content out of the next one in order that they can maybe allow us to help them keep on buying more Hanoi Hilton brand gruel by donating to two separate content addition downloads ("DLC"). If you think about it, it's a wonder they can even afford cleaners when they're pulling in as little as £65 million for a big name title like DEHR.
Kiytan 7th November 2011, 13:07 Quote
Considering in a bit over 2 months DE:HR has sold about half of what minecraft has in over a year, I'd consider that pretty damned good going.
t.y.wan 7th November 2011, 13:54 Quote
Minecraft is successful marketing... All those youtube videos with commentary made it more successful than HR...
I wonder if they included the DLC or not?
johnnyboy700 7th November 2011, 14:05 Quote
Do they count the free game given with some graphics cards with these figures?
DragunovHUN 7th November 2011, 14:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiytan
Considering in a bit over 2 months DE:HR has sold about half of what minecraft has in over a year, I'd consider that pretty damned good going.

During development, on a single platform and with no marketing.
Zurechial 7th November 2011, 15:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by specofdust
Not bad for an incomplete game, good thing they were nice enough to release a patch ("DLC") for the most inconsequential sum of 9 simoleons! Here's hoping they see fit to take even more content out of the next one in order that they can maybe allow us to help them keep on buying more Hanoi Hilton brand gruel by donating to two separate content addition downloads ("DLC"). If you think about it, it's a wonder they can even afford cleaners when they're pulling in as little as £65 million for a big name title like DEHR.

Sadly.. this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiytan
Considering in a bit over 2 months DE:HR has sold about half of what minecraft has in over a year, I'd consider that pretty damned good going.

On the other hand DXHR has brand recognition from its series name, developer name and publisher name; As well as the backing of a publisher as significant as Square Enix and a marketing budget as massive as we've come to expect from so-called AAA games.

Minecraft, on the other hand, is a bedroom-coded project that exploded in popularity due to its sheer awesomeness in its Alpha stages.

So there. :p

Honestly, I'm happy for both. I share spec's sarcastic sentiments above, but it's heartening to see a vaguely "thinking man's shooter" seeing so many sales. Hopefully it will encourage more publishers to take the minor risk of doing something other than the next CoD-clone or F2P MMO.
metarinka 7th November 2011, 23:25 Quote
how much did minecraft cost? I think significantly less than DX, it's an apples to oranges comparison. One was a big budget AAA RPG/FPS the other was an indie sandbox game with dated graphics.
tad2008 8th November 2011, 17:40 Quote
Quote:
"If you're looking for impressive facts and figures however then look no further than PC indie hit Minecraft, which has announced its 4 millionth sale even despite the fact that it isn't fully launched yet.

Minecraft, currently in playable beta, goes on sale later this month."

Since it is still technically in Beta it's not finished so those 4million sales figures would be for pre-orders. Not to mention that there has been a completely free version out for quite sometime, supposedly has 16million registered users and with only 25% of those going on to pre-order the game.

The original Deus Ex and it's successor Invisible War both sold in excess of 1million copies each and HR went on to sell double that of its predecessors, has realistic looking graphics compared to minecrafts blocky look that makes Lego games seem realistic.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums