EA reveals new Syndicate as FPS

EA reveals new Syndicate as FPS

Starbreeze and EA have revealed they are reimagining Bullfrog's Syndicate as an FPS.

Electronic Arts has finally confirmed the long-suspected rumour that developer Starbreeze is working on a 'reinvention' of 1993 classic, Syndicate.

Starbreeze's version of Syndicate has been in development for a few years already, under the codename 'Project Redline'.

Planned for release on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Starbreeze's reimagining of Bullfrog's seminal strategy game will be a FPS with a four-player co-operative campaign that stands separate from a singleplayer story. The game is currently set for a 2012 release date.

The new storyline begins in 2069, where mega-corporations have replaced governments and neural implants have hit the mainstream, allowing companies to exert control over customers directly.

Players will take the role of Miles Kilo, an enforcer for one of three syndicates attempting to seize control of the American market.

Gameplay will apparently feature upgradable weaponry, armour, equipment and neural implant enhancements that allow players to look through walls, slow time perception and more, according to information unearthed on NeoGAF.

Missions from the original Syndicate will apparently feature in neo-Syndicate's co-op campaign.

'Our goal with Syndicate is to provide a challenging action shooter for today's gamers as well as fans of the original,' said Jeff Gamon, EA Partners Executive Producer.

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

Guinevere 12th September 2011, 11:21 Quote
Do we still get to carjack people? Run away from fights? Hypnotise people?

And what about forgetting one of the squad, losing them and leaving them invisibly tucked inside a building somewhere until we really need them...

Or was that just me?
B1GBUD 12th September 2011, 11:44 Quote
Will any of the original Bullfrog / Lion head Studios devs be working on this?

I can't help think that EA is trying to get some more monies from old IP.
Yemerich 12th September 2011, 11:54 Quote
hmmm that smells like another GREAT franchise turning into sh**...
Let us hope I am mistaken...

Where the hell is peter molineaux when we need him??
Spuzzell 12th September 2011, 11:55 Quote
Syndicate as an FPS? My dubious levels are dangerously high.
goddi 12th September 2011, 12:10 Quote
I can't help think that EA is trying to get some more monies from old IP.
Denis_iii 12th September 2011, 12:32 Quote
I don't want another FPS, I want syndicate!
EA, if you want to regurgitate FPS games then do that, don't take a tried and tested formula that all Syndicate fans want and turn it into ANOTHER FPS clone.
Golden Axe remake fail, now this :( my dreams are ruined and hate to see what the Dungeon Keeper remake whenever will turn out to be.
Do the retards that make these decisions even get paid?
Ok, look, it may turn out to be a awesome FPS but I will still be yearning for the original.
fodder 12th September 2011, 12:37 Quote
Ahh, but will it still have the gauss gun?
ChaosDefinesOrder 12th September 2011, 12:45 Quote
as long as I can go around pursuading EVERYONE in the level I'll be happy! Had some great fun playing that game in ridiculous ways! inventory full of miniguns for example!

"Cooper Team" and clicking both mouse buttons on the "select all team members" button made for some very fun moments of just having fun!
Xir 12th September 2011, 12:49 Quote
Syndicate as a FPS, how much does that have to do with the current Deus-Ex release? :D

Hmmm, the four-player-team is in line with the original, but the single player mode is what's really interesting as you'd still have to organise the team of four...maybe it's mixed? Planning phase in RTS style then into the action in FPS style?
Ah well, we'll see.
kosch 12th September 2011, 13:03 Quote
As long as it has the eat the pig eat the pig eat the ziggy ziggy pig sounding song it then it will be fine.
Da_Rude_Baboon 12th September 2011, 13:34 Quote
The story is by Richard Morgan which offers a small glimmer of hope and the screen shots indicate it will look reasonably nice.

I still fear another part of my adolescence is about to horribly ruined.
KayDat 12th September 2011, 13:43 Quote
First X-Com, now this...
cheeriokilla 12th September 2011, 13:57 Quote
No way! I was recently thinking on how awesome it'd be for a new syndicate game to pop out with 3d graphics and the old syndicate style gameplay!... This officially SUCKS... Even if the game turns out to be AWESOME, it'll still not be a Syndicate game.
Mik3yB @ CCL 12th September 2011, 14:16 Quote
DaBigDog 12th September 2011, 17:11 Quote
Syndicate was that game that myself and 3 other game geeks (Rich the Tech, Abscess Paul and Type-R Mark) couldn't remember the name of at 2am in the morning in a hotel bar full of models (fitness show at the NEC and all the girls were in our hotel :D) so we we're rightly distracted.

So we rang another friend up in the early hours of the morning, and he knew it straight away - after just being woken up at 2am we we're duely impressed.... although his wife wasn't

That's night will also be remembered for me blinding a colleague in the toilets with a martial arts move I didn't even know would work, don't ask

But all things aside - Syndicate was an awesome game and one due an update, just not sure if another shooter for the console generation is what's needed. As they say - we get what we deserve :(
metarinka 12th September 2011, 17:30 Quote
I'll wait to see the gameplay in action.

Syndicate was awesome in it's time, but isometric games have become extinct outside of J-RPGs. Fallout survived the transition to 3D pretty well, I'll reserve judgement for Syndicate.

If it becomes a generic Deus ex clone, then we'll have an issue.

For reference here's the gameplay, while awesome at the time it seems somewhat dated by today's standards
metarinka 12th September 2011, 17:43 Quote
HaZiLLa 12th September 2011, 19:16 Quote
A Syndicate game on the new UT engine with that gritty look would be ace.
Phil Rhodes 12th September 2011, 19:23 Quote
Jeff Gamon, you are a catastrophic idiot.
Andy Mc 12th September 2011, 21:30 Quote
My prediction is this turns out to be a complete crock of s**t. If it does then EA can go **** themselves if they think I'll buy another EA game again.
Ergath 13th September 2011, 00:25 Quote
FFS not another *******ised classic! Colour me depressed.

Question: being as the bulk of the console gamer market won't even remember the original, why resurrect the IP just to make another boring-ass FPS!?

Edit: no, ba5tardised is not swearing.
PingCrosby 13th September 2011, 05:16 Quote
One of my all time faves, been hoping for a re-make of this, you never know it could be good, look at Fallout 3 a class game, here's hoping.
NethLyn 13th September 2011, 09:43 Quote
I loved the first two Syndicate games and like the idea of Deus Ex lite with less sneaking about and more shooting things up. There was co-op in "Wars" going back to 1996, so if you could get 4 players instead of two in the modern version, I'm staying open-minded about it. The only thing that might make me think twice would be any trojan horse behaviour with the Origin client if I bought the game at retail.

Hopefully in the promotion for the new title, we have to hope for a graphical retouch of the original games as was with Win7 compatibility, since nothing else really needed changing.
Roskoken 13th September 2011, 11:06 Quote
****ing EA **** ****s why in the **** would they ****ing **** a game like syndicate all because of this OF OH ****ING MW3 IS A ****ING FPS SO THIS IS GOING TO SELL ****ING ASSBANDIT **** GO **** YOURSELFS **** ****ING PRICKS
Phil Rhodes 13th September 2011, 12:27 Quote

Couldn't have put it better myself.
memeroot 13th September 2011, 15:29 Quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Zurechial 13th September 2011, 15:57 Quote
Joe nudged something in the direction of RPS and this is the result:

Says it all, really.

The monkey sounds, being the sounds from System Shock 2, sent a shiver down my spine immediately. Now I want to play SS2.