Rage system requirements unveiled

Rage system requirements unveiled

The PC version of id Software's Rage is set for release on October 7, 2011.

Bethesda and id Software have revealed the official system requirements for the PC version of upcoming shooter, Rage.

Set for release on October 7, 2011, Rage is the latest game from the developer of Quake and Doom.

Check out the minimum and recommended system requirements below.

Minimum:
OS: Win XP SP3, Vista, Win 7
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or Equivalent AMD
Memory: 2GB
Hard Disk Space: 25GB
Video Card: GeForce 8800, Radeon HD 4200

Recommended:
OS: Win XP SP3, Vista, Win 7
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or Equivalent AMD
Memory: 4GB
Hard Disk Space: 25GB
Video Card: GeForce 9800 GTX, ATI Radeon HD 5550

We went hands-on with Rage recently and thought it was a surprisingly fun game based on our previous estimations - check out our Rage preview to find out why. You can also watch the Rage trailer below for more information.

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

steveo_mcg 7th September 2011, 12:18 Quote
Eeek, i'm now a fraction above minimum specs.... I could do with an upgrade but its not high on my spending priorities.

Man i'm getting old!
yakyb 7th September 2011, 12:21 Quote
thats a fair amount of Hdd space but otherwise low specs
Jack_Pepsi 7th September 2011, 12:22 Quote
Pre-ordered last weekend. Can't freakin' wait!

:D
Centy-face 7th September 2011, 12:23 Quote
Seems perfectly reasonable even the 25gb of hard drive space won't be a problem. Though I guess anyone who wants to download the game better pray the installer size is lower or there's going to be a lot of data limits being breached.
GravitySmacked 7th September 2011, 12:33 Quote
Don't sound too bad to me.
wuyanxu 7th September 2011, 12:42 Quote
recommended seems a bit low....... was expecting gtx460 or 5850.

and 8800 to 9800, seriously? they do realise there is less than 10% difference because it's all about the same speed with same G92 architecture. (well G92 roughly equal to original G80 in 8800gtx)

hope the game scales well. nvidia card's requirement doesn't look promising.
Arkanrais 7th September 2011, 13:07 Quote
It seems a bit silly to be having an 8800 as the minimum specs, then an HD 4200 next to it, also minimum. I'm quite certain that even an 8800 GTS 320MB could easily wipe the floor with an HD 4200. :/
knarF 7th September 2011, 13:11 Quote
Sweet, should be able to play at decent setting by the looks of things.
Although that size means it's definitely not going to be a download, it'd take about a week.
Denis_iii 7th September 2011, 13:16 Quote
Sweet, so my ATI mobility 5870 should have no trouble handling it. I heard it looks amazing on the xbox 360 so an average PC GPU should run it no trouble.
Instagib 7th September 2011, 13:17 Quote
Buying this one on disk then.
Showerhead 7th September 2011, 14:54 Quote
On multiple disks
Psy-UK 7th September 2011, 15:01 Quote
25GB? Really? Jesus.
tad2008 7th September 2011, 15:58 Quote
Well looks like my system is somewhere in the middle of no-mans land with a dual core cpu and 2GB ram coupled with a Radeon 6850.

That said the graphics hardly look earth shattering and Deus Ex:HR barely gave my system enough to warm up, unlike The Witcher 2 which definitely made it sweat.

I guess with disk space requirements increasing it won't be long before we'll be buying games on blu-ray disks instead of DVD, lol
Ayrto 7th September 2011, 16:36 Quote
At 25GB I think it's safe to say that content wise, players will sure get their money's worth. Would have liked it if they'd aimed a bit higher on PC , as in DX11- with recommended sys requirements set around (say) a GTX470. Though that's understandable, the game has been in development for ages and as a result uses DX9 only afaik
mighty_pirate 7th September 2011, 17:02 Quote
I downloaded the 7gb Dead Island preload in 20minutes. It doesn't seem likely that anyone who can't download this overnight would be buying new games digitally.
Amazingly low specs though, either it's not nearly as pretty as it looks (I'm not expecting it to blow me away, but it looks nice enough) or it's very well optimised.
rollo 7th September 2011, 19:21 Quote
id expect its well optimised
Chicken76 7th September 2011, 19:58 Quote
The specs seem low, because they are supposed to run the game with every 'knob' set to 'ultra low' and probably in 800x600 resolution. Set everything to medium and make it run on a 1680x1050 monitor and that 9800GTX will give you all it's got: 12 fps! :D
bagman 7th September 2011, 20:37 Quote
This game looks awesome, really like the graphics style and the guns sound good to, hope they handle just as well.
sub routine 8th September 2011, 09:21 Quote
i would like to see how their claims hold up in actuality.

And on a side note it just goes to show how much consoles are holding up gaming in terms of the shinies, I mean an 8800 low to a 9800 high....Oh what it could be if people put aside maximum priofit and optimised for top end pc architecture. I think if I ever win the Euro millions i`ll set up a non-prifit pc gaming company.
feathers 9th September 2011, 00:40 Quote
Rage is a console game so no surprise about the low spec.