bit-gamer.net

Call of Duty: Elite premium content revealed

Call of Duty: Elite premium content revealed

Call of Duty: Elite's premium features will cost £34.99 per year when it is released.

Activision has revealed the full features list for Call of Duty: Elite's premium service, which will cost users £34.99 for an annual subscription.

An annual subscription will include free access to all DLC released over that period, with around 20 add-ons planned to be released at a rate of at least one a month.

Check out the Call of Duty: Elite premium features list below.
  • 20 pieces of DLC released over nine months
  • Prized events
  • Prized operations
  • Prized tactical operations with in-game playlist and modes
  • Prized clan operations
  • Official leagues
  • Level up your clan through clan operations
  • Unlock clan level benefits
  • Unique in-game gold clan tag
  • Exclusive in-game clan player cards and emblems
  • Access to all in-game clan title cards
  • Access to all in-game clan emblems
  • Access hours of pro video guides for every weapon and map
  • Professional tactics and help
  • Share expert community playbooks and strategies fro every map and mode
  • Join premium groups
  • Early access to test new Elite features
  • Eight times more HD video capacity for video uploads
  • Four times more user storage for match replays and two times greater video export length
  • Access to Elite TV - episodic video entertainment made by top talent
Check out the Modern Warfare 3 trailer below, then let us know your thoughts in the forums.

42 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
B1GBUD 7th September 2011, 11:06 Quote
NO
MrJay 7th September 2011, 11:18 Quote
Lets rinse all the 12 year olds and their parents for £34.99 a year..
blackcell1 7th September 2011, 11:22 Quote
hell no
DriftCarl 7th September 2011, 11:25 Quote
LOL
GL WITH THAT
Centy-face 7th September 2011, 11:25 Quote
I hope constantly covering this and ignoring other games brings in a lot of page views.
r3loaded 7th September 2011, 11:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJay
Lets rinse all the 12 year olds and their parents for £34.99 a year..
They're already being rinsed of £40 a year with annual COD games, why not see how far it extends? :p
Bungletron 7th September 2011, 11:31 Quote
Not sure whehter this will be worth it, after the year if I do not continue my subscription do I lose all the DLC? Seems rather cynical to me.
mikeuk2004 7th September 2011, 11:39 Quote
Seen this coming a couple years ago. Wont be long before the UBI passport, VIP pass etc to play online become a subsciption service insted. You buy the game and if you want to play only you pay another £40 a year to do so for each game.
Denis_iii 7th September 2011, 12:18 Quote
Never played MW, and now I have more reason not to.
liratheal 7th September 2011, 12:25 Quote
Translation:

18 maps, rehashed from old CoD games or straight up copied. 2 pieces of DLC not map related.
Prized* events
Prized* operations
Prized* tactical operations with in-game playlist and modes
Prized* clan operations
Official leagues that will, no doubt, be barren of reasonable, non 14-year old, players.
Level up your clan through clan operations, because everyone needs a bigger number than the other guy
Unlock clan level benefits, such as clan themed weapon skins
Unique in-game gold clan tag, unique to every gibbon buying this service, anyway.
Exclusive in-game clan player cards and emblems some 2D **** we get off WordArt during coke parties
Access to all in-game clan title cards. Which do nothing of any use for anyone.
Access to all in-game clan emblems. See above.
Access hours of pro video guides for every weapon and map. Stupid enough to buy this toss, you'll need these guides.
Professional tactics and help. See above.
Share expert community playbooks and strategies fro every map and mode. See above (side note: Was this copy/pasted, or re-typed? Because someone ****ed up "For" - Were they laughing too hard?)
Join premium groups. Exactly the same as regular ones, but called "premium" to make insecure people feel better
Early access to test new Elite features. We're not paying to get this **** beta tested, you're paying us to do it.
Eight times more HD video capacity for video uploads Eight times nothing is still nothing.
Four times more user storage for match replays and two times greater video export length. See above.
Access to Elite TV - episodic video entertainment made by top talent**

*Prized content might actually just be re-skins of existing content, and not very good ones at that.
**Top talent may be substituted for ****tards like Fatal1ty***
***Even those ****tards might be too expensive, you might get the mailroom guys.
goldstar0011 7th September 2011, 12:31 Quote
As a consumer I refuse to pay annual prices for games, already pay for xbox live so why would I pay more.

From a business POV, the targetted consumer group are happy to pay up
salesman 7th September 2011, 13:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Translation:

18 maps, rehashed from old CoD games or straight up copied. 2 pieces of DLC not map related.
Prized* events
Prized* operations
Prized* tactical operations with in-game playlist and modes
Prized* clan operations
Official leagues that will, no doubt, be barren of reasonable, non 14-year old, players.
Level up your clan through clan operations, because everyone needs a bigger number than the other guy
Unlock clan level benefits, such as clan themed weapon skins
Unique in-game gold clan tag, unique to every gibbon buying this service, anyway.
Exclusive in-game clan player cards and emblems some 2D **** we get off WordArt during coke parties
Access to all in-game clan title cards. Which do nothing of any use for anyone.
Access to all in-game clan emblems. See above.
Access hours of pro video guides for every weapon and map. Stupid enough to buy this toss, you'll need these guides.
Professional tactics and help. See above.
Share expert community playbooks and strategies fro every map and mode. See above (side note: Was this copy/pasted, or re-typed? Because someone ****ed up "For" - Were they laughing too hard?)
Join premium groups. Exactly the same as regular ones, but called "premium" to make insecure people feel better
Early access to test new Elite features. We're not paying to get this **** beta tested, you're paying us to do it.
Eight times more HD video capacity for video uploads Eight times nothing is still nothing.
Four times more user storage for match replays and two times greater video export length. See above.
Access to Elite TV - episodic video entertainment made by top talent**

*Prized content might actually just be re-skins of existing content, and not very good ones at that.
**Top talent may be substituted for ****tards like Fatal1ty***
***Even those ****tards might be too expensive, you might get the mailroom guys.

Agreed
damien c 7th September 2011, 14:47 Quote
Well I think it's good value considering I buy the map pack's etc for the game when released to expand the game.

Considering the map pack's are normally around £12 per map pack and there is either 3 or 4 map pack's then it does save you some money, while giving you the chance to potentially win real prizes not in game stuff but real prizes.

Now this is the interesting part they say 20 pieces of DLC not 3 or 4, and I don't think they mean 20 map's or something like that but there more than likely will, be different in game item's that you can get with Elite that you can't get without it and then stuff for the Spec Op's mode and Survival mode.

I think most of you need to get of your high horses and just realise you are not forced to buy this you have a choice, and if you cannot see that this will actually give you more for less money I think you need to go back to math's class and learn this time instead of sleeping through it.

As for if you get to keep the DLC or not yes you do keep it considering they have already said that you will keep it, and if this is the 1st place you have seen what comes with Elite just go to Google and search for the information before making post's when you are not fully informed.

As for liratheal saying "Access hours of pro video guides for every weapon and map. Stupid enough to buy this toss, you'll need these guides." I will be buying this "toss" as you call it because it will save me money instead of just buying the DLC separately and I don't need these guides but they will be interesting to look at and see other people's point of view about gun's and map's.

Not to mention that apparently if you buy the hardened edition of the game you get 1 year free membership anyway so it's just like buying the game and Elite, on there own but you get more for your money although it look's like us pc gamers are left out again when it comes to the hardened and prestige edition's.

I will be buying Elite and MW3 simply because I enjoy the Call Of Duty games and I pay for the map pack's, which by buying Elite I save money compared to not buying it and I get to compete for prizes if I want to.

PC gamers

£35 or £40 for the game and then 3x £12 is either £71 or £75 then if they release 4 map pack's that goes to either £83 or £87.
Take Elite and the game will cost either £70 or £75 so abit of a saving there really, which could be more beer money or something depending on how many map pack's are released.

Xbox and PS3 gamers

£45 for the game plus 3x £12 for map pack's - £81 or 4 map pack's £93
£75 for the hardend edition includes all map pack's and elite
Game plus Elite is £80.

So again the console players can save money and so can pc players so I don't think it's that bad really considering.


Oh and those prices don't take in to account any other DLC that may be released for non multiplayer mode such as Spec Op's and Survival mode, which could add anything from £5 to £60 to the total price without Elite.
Vo0Ds 7th September 2011, 15:39 Quote
Or play Battlefield 3.
Blademrk 7th September 2011, 15:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMIEN C
I think most of you need to get of your high horses and just realise you are not forced to buy this you have a choice, and if you cannot see that this will actually give you more for less money I think you need to go back to math's class and learn this time instead of sleeping through it.

This isn't going to effect me in so much as I haven't played a COD game since COD 2, however, I think this is a slippery slope - If gamers pony up for the Elite package (which they undoubtedly will) I can see more of this coming up in future games. £80+ for a game? not for me ta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSTechnica
For serious players, it's going to be hard to not pay for Elite if they'd like to keep up with the online community, and the constant drip of content and tips from the pros that will be included with Elite will make the players paying for the service even more effective at killing those that don't. We complained about $15 map packs, which sold by the millions, and now we have Elite. If Elite proves to be a success, I'm scared about what we'll be asked to pay for next year. Now that the players are going to be split between those who pay for Elite and those that don't, there is no reason to develop new features for non-paying customers.
Linky
liratheal 7th September 2011, 16:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
Well I think it's good value considering I buy the map pack's etc for the game when released to expand the game.

Considering the map pack's are normally around £12 per map pack and there is either 3 or 4 map pack's then it does save you some money, while giving you the chance to potentially win real prizes not in game stuff but real prizes.

Now this is the interesting part they say 20 pieces of DLC not 3 or 4, and I don't think they mean 20 map's or something like that but there more than likely will, be different in game item's that you can get with Elite that you can't get without it and then stuff for the Spec Op's mode and Survival mode.

I think most of you need to get of your high horses and just realise you are not forced to buy this you have a choice, and if you cannot see that this will actually give you more for less money I think you need to go back to math's class and learn this time instead of sleeping through it.

As for if you get to keep the DLC or not yes you do keep it considering they have already said that you will keep it, and if this is the 1st place you have seen what comes with Elite just go to Google and search for the information before making post's when you are not fully informed.

As for liratheal saying "Access hours of pro video guides for every weapon and map. Stupid enough to buy this toss, you'll need these guides." I will be buying this "toss" as you call it because it will save me money instead of just buying the DLC separately and I don't need these guides but they will be interesting to look at and see other people's point of view about gun's and map's.

Not to mention that apparently if you buy the hardened edition of the game you get 1 year free membership anyway so it's just like buying the game and Elite, on there own but you get more for your money although it look's like us pc gamers are left out again when it comes to the hardened and prestige edition's.

I will be buying Elite and MW3 simply because I enjoy the Call Of Duty games and I pay for the map pack's, which by buying Elite I save money compared to not buying it and I get to compete for prizes if I want to.

PC gamers

£35 or £40 for the game and then 3x £12 is either £71 or £75 then if they release 4 map pack's that goes to either £83 or £87.
Take Elite and the game will cost either £70 or £75 so abit of a saving there really, which could be more beer money or something depending on how many map pack's are released.

Xbox and PS3 gamers

£45 for the game plus 3x £12 for map pack's - £81 or 4 map pack's £93
£75 for the hardend edition includes all map pack's and elite
Game plus Elite is £80.

So again the console players can save money and so can pc players so I don't think it's that bad really considering.


Oh and those prices don't take in to account any other DLC that may be released for non multiplayer mode such as Spec Op's and Survival mode, which could add anything from £5 to £60 to the total price without Elite.

I found it really difficult to read your response. Please break your sentences occasionally with ",".

Disclaimer: That's not an "attack", just a request. I assume you don't speak that way, so.. Please don't type that way.

Using previous exorbitant pricing to try and reason out the exorbitant pricing of something else doesn't really work as a defence.

20 pieces of DLC will, absolutely no doubt in my mind, be maps. CoD6 had, over two "packages" ten maps. Crash, Overgrown, Storm, Bailout, Salvage, Strike, Vacant, Carnival, Trailer Park, and Fuel. Four of which (Crash, Overgrown, Strike, Vacant) were straight up copies of older maps. 40% of paid for content was the same ****, different day. Not what I'd call stunning value.

However, given the popularity of both packages, I suspect that a good number of maps will be re-released as they're "fan favourites". I'd wager that, again, there will be around 40% of paid for content just being the same stuff, re-packaged.

We're not on a "high horse" of any sort, we're just laughing at the notion of paying that fee for, when you look at the list of "features", things that exist in their droves elsewhere on the internet. I suspect "pro video guides" for weapons, maps, etcetera, can be readily found on youtube. For that whopping sum of "free". Most of that list, in fact a good majority of it, feels like padding. The things that carry most weight seem to be the "DLC", which I have every suspicion will just be maps, regardless of what "mode" they're for. If I remember rightly, the two packages for MW2 (CoD6) were around £12 each - So we're up to £24 for two map packs, and freebies on the "videos and guides" side - Which leaves £11 unaccounted for in this little equation.

Does the rest of that list sound like £11 worth of stuff? If it does, I've got a great "Life Leveller" scheme - It's only £20 a year, but you get access to exclusive goodies that you can use in real life, and exclusive gold badges for your clan - Although, we here at Life Leveller prefer to say 'Family'.

Activision are money grubbing jerks at the best of times, so I highly doubt this £11 is going to go anywhere but a pocket.

CoD: Elite is a money grubbing joke, and at best, it should be casually laughed off the face of the world.
SexyHyde 7th September 2011, 16:09 Quote
I went to math class and by your calculations i will be saving around £80 by not buying any of this dross. And just because Activision charge a price for something doesn't mean its worth it. I have been playing games for a fair few years and just because Activision charge £12 for an update and call it dlc doesn't mean its worth £12. All my other games give me there own version of dlc and don't charge me for it. My life skills tell me Activision are trying to rob their customers while trying to convince them they are giving them a service. I'll be with all the mw haters on karkand, pew pew.
bagman 7th September 2011, 16:43 Quote
Well if you always buy all the map packs you should get the CoD elite, because you get the extra service of the elite as well as the map packs so tbh not that bad value. If you guys actually looked aswell elite does have some very good and unique features. It also depends how much you play the game because a years subscription with WoW costs £108. But compared to BF3 which is a one off payment it is bad value.
damien c 7th September 2011, 16:54 Quote
Yeah but you all still think that pc players are the elite gamers and deserve everything handed to them.

I have been a pc gamer since the old day's gaming on a old 486, and I have gone with the change over the many years.

I was under the same impression when I 1st heard about paid for DLC on the PC I wanted it for free but then I realised that console gamers have, to pay for it and the only reason we were not is because of companies like Intel sponsoring the DLC with regard's to the Call Of Duty games.

There are companies who release DLC for free and yeah they are good, and yeah you can probably get most thing's from Elite for free on the net but, I have no problem paying for it if it wraps it all up in to 1 package that also gives me the DLC for Call Of duty basically for free.

I am just waiting for someone to say they gave free DLC for Battlefield Bad Company 2 when infact they didn't all they did was unlock the map's for the 3 gametypes instead, of being locked down to 1 game type or 2.

As for the DLC on MW2 yeah they released 2 map pack's with each pack containing 2 of the best map's from Call Of Duty 4, and I am glad they did because simply it gave the game something that is was missing in balanced map's for most gun's.

We do not know yet how many map pack's are going to be released only for multiplayer it could be 2 or it could 10 we do not know.

PC gaming is changing and you either change with it or get left in the past with your thought's of "We use to get this for free so we should now as well".

PC gamers have had DLC for free for quite a while and now the game companies want us to pay for just like the console gamers have ever, since the start and I have no problem with that happening as it is only FAIR that we pay just like they do.

I am only 25 and I think I understand thing's more than some of you here considering I can see this as a business that wants to make, money from it's customer's and if that mean's selling add on's and other services for games then so be it, I am not being forced to buy them in order to play the game I have a choice which some of you seem to be forgetting.

Also I do speak like I type but atleast it is broken up and not just a massive wall of text like some 12 year old kid would type, as well as using comma's which are there to break up the sentence which is where you would normally take a breath when speaking.

Now me I am saving money by not buying a game called Battlefield 3 and it's not because of the reason's that most of you will think, as I enjoy that type of game but what I don't enjoy is being told what gametype I can play on what map and only have a choice of 4 gametypes with, vehicles that are allowed in the enemy spawn ready to take them out the second they spawn.

I don't like games where you cannot move out of your spawn because you cannot spawn simply because of the sniper's who take you out the second you do spawn regardless of where you spawn, which is also why I am waiting for MW3 and now mainly play Cod 4 or Crysis 2 because Black Op's is just as bad.
enciem 7th September 2011, 17:37 Quote
There's a lot of Pippy McRant-a-lot's on here considering these are all optional extras. I quite like the game and I'm a mug so I buy DLC, but I know I don't actually have to. Sometimes I regret it and other times I don't.

It's all very well complaining about these companies but as long as people buy it, they'll keep selling it.
sear 7th September 2011, 18:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1GBUD
NO
SexyHyde 7th September 2011, 18:41 Quote
The bc2 dlc/vietnam was £10 and played like a different game entirely but used the same graphics engine, I can't help but think if Activision released it, it would have had a £39.99 minimum price tag. I own mw 1 & 2 so and I have brought some of the dlc packs, but I won't be buying them again because they are just so poor value for money.
Woodspoon 7th September 2011, 20:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c

I have been a pc gamer since the old day's gaming on a old 486, and I have gone with the change over the many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c

I am only 25 and I think I understand thing's more than some of you here considering I can see this as a business

Just to be mr picky
486 came out in 1989 - 1990 you must have been very young when you started
longweight 7th September 2011, 21:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspoon
Just to be mr picky
486 came out in 1989 - 1990 you must have been very young when you started

If we are being picky then you missed a . at the end of your sentence.

SMIFFYDUDE 8th September 2011, 00:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
For me I will not be buying Modern Warfare 3 or Battlefield 3 as they are just the same as the previous versions, with a new name slapped on the face of it.

Granted Battlefield 3 looks amazing but the multi player side of the game I will say now will be garbage, 2 or 3 game modes with Sniper Rifles not killing with 1 shot but requiring 4 or 5 just like Battlefield Bad Company 2 actually hitting them and the, hit marker coming up like what happens to me every time I try to play it.
Pistol's killing you with 1 shot from what would effectively be 1 mile or more away, same with the shotgun's etc.
Instant death as soon as you spawn because the map's are so one sided and you can lock a team in to there spawn so they can't move.
Modern Warefare 3 or as I like to call it Call Of Duty Modern Cheatfest 3, will be full of people using Aimbot's and Wallhack's, full of lag and the typical Quick Scoping moron's spoiling the game, with Assault Rifle users being outgunned by a pistol etc biggest problem Steam and VAC dictating when you can and cannot play your game and letting the cheaters run riot as it can't ban them.

The whole of gaming is dead for me now, to many crappy console ports to many games using the worthless anti cheat system know as VAC.

I just wish I had seen all this lot before I spent £1300 on the upgrades for my pc and spent the money instead on a new mountain bike, and beer atleast that would have been more entertaining than any of these games are going to be.


Kotick or what ever his name is worried about Battlefield 3 simply because of the release date, and the fact that at the moment it will be more appealing to the pc gamers than MW3 but let's not be stupid here and just remember, MW3 will easily outsell Battlefield 3 because of the die hard console fan's of the Call Of Duty Series.

Maybe if Dice release a new version of Medal Of Honor that isn't a direct copy of Battlefield, with just a new name but the same game types and the exact same flaws etc and take Medal Of Honor back to the good old days of it where it actually was able to compete with Call Of Duty, then maybe Kotick will be more worried about that for obvious reason's considering I would rather play MOH than COD because it's a far better game except for the last one because that was not MOH it was BFBC2 with MOH slapped on the disc.

Maybe if a console manufacturer releases a keyboard and mouse for there system, then PC gaming will die because people won't see the need to spend hundred's or thousands of pounds on a pc just to play the latest game, as they will be able to spend £300 and play them just fine.

I want to see PC gaming survive and get to where it use to be but I don't see it happening hence why I want a keyboard and mouse for a console, and then I will save money but I don't have to worry about playing a crappy looking game on a pc because the developers decided the pc is not worthy of a better game.

from here

Pretty major turnaround.
longweight 8th September 2011, 00:32 Quote
What the Hell is damien c talking about? Sounds like he is pissed that other people are better at online gaming than he is.

:D
Trefarm 8th September 2011, 00:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
..I am only 25 and I think I understand thing's more than some of you here..

Hi Damien, the thing is we have a choice now. As you rightly point out the games industry is always moving forwards. (I used to type lines of code out of a book for what seemed like days in order to watch a dot change colour.) I think alot of people myself included worry that when this 'service' makes money it will cease to be optional and become mandatory.

I would recommend searching for 'Extra Credits + DLC' a brilliant vid explaining this issue in a far more entertaining way than I can.

Just a quick point about using your age to bolster your argument, those younger than you will dismiss you as past it, those older will dismiss you as naive. Tends to be a lose/lose situation.

For example, your probably now thinking that I'm a patronising old fool, while members in their 40's will be dismissive of my late entry into home computing.. "typing, humph I had to use punch cards when I first..." See?
BoogieMan 8th September 2011, 01:02 Quote
Is this for MW3?

I might cancel my preorder if that's the case..
longweight 8th September 2011, 01:09 Quote
It is but it isn't mandatory.
BoogieMan 8th September 2011, 01:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight
It is but it isn't mandatory.

So you can still play online without it?

I'm already paying £40 a year for psn plus, not willing to fork out double that.
borals 8th September 2011, 02:22 Quote
The problem I have with it, is the fact that once again they will release an incomplete game. One that only becomes complete provided you pay the extra cash. The features on that list come standard with most multiplayer experiences.

I mean, they already say they have 20 pieces of DLC, which if there was no subscription, would have already been in the game. More and more companies are doing this and it really is just greed.

The only way they can get away with releasing old maps is the lack of mod support, cause players would be porting those maps over.

I also wager that the elite sub will grant users access to advantages in game, which is ridiculous.

The hardest thing for me to swallow though, is the fact that some people would defend this? Why? Why are you happy to pay extra for what should be in the game regardless? This I just cant understand, it's not like the company needs the extra cash......................
fodder 8th September 2011, 08:12 Quote
For the maths class above, how much do you save in the second and third years?

Pro videos? Ever heard of YouTube?

How on earth, in one year, are you going to get a good Clan match/league structure mature enough to be of interest to anyone but the 12 year olds with a short attention span?

I have supported/bought all the COD games, even that IWnet abortion. This I will not be buying.
SexyHyde 8th September 2011, 08:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by fodder
For the maths class above, how much do you save in the second and third years?

Well the next cod game will be out so it looks like wallet time again.

I really hope this greed kills the franchise. It's not like they are innovative, they are just taking more out of the base game every year and drip feeding/charging you. While telling you its more content.
hrp8600 8th September 2011, 08:56 Quote
why not just charge for mod tools, then we could have 1,000s of maps new and old.
Better value and would sell better.
just my thoughts and I know mod tools should be free but this is Activision.
An other thought just came to me, as people look to it as £80 for the game,
£40 + for half a game makes non Elite seem even more over priced than allready is.
liratheal 8th September 2011, 09:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by enciem
There's a lot of Pippy McRant-a-lot's on here considering these are all optional extras. I quite like the game and I'm a mug so I buy DLC, but I know I don't actually have to. Sometimes I regret it and other times I don't.

It's all very well complaining about these companies but as long as people buy it, they'll keep selling it.

I don't mind paid for DLC, what I mind is the rampant price gouging that Activision get away with. It's completely immoral, and is downright offensive. Churning out the same silly **** year on year until the franchise has covered more years than the events they're depitcting (See Medal of Honour vs. World War 2), and still charging the largest figure possible? It sickens me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrp8600
why not just charge for mod tools, then we could have 1,000s of maps new and old.
Better value and would sell better.
just my thoughts and I know mod tools should be free but this is Activision.
An other thought just came to me, as people look to it as £80 for the game,
£40 + for half a game makes non Elite seem even more over priced than allready is.

I have some issues with that notion.

Firstly, if Activision sold mod tools, they'd make less money on map packs. Check the sales figures for three maps branded "map packs".

Secondly, gamers are not level designers. 99% of the free maps would be utter bollocks at best, and no doubt favour the maker more than the rest of the players - It'd be a nightmare of garbage and kill the online aspect of the game.
fodder 8th September 2011, 10:35 Quote
I disagree on the homebrew maps comment. Yes, 99% would be utter pants. But, on COD4 (the last COD game worth buying and playing IMHO) there were some very good maps made and some used in Leagues as well.

I miss those days where you could have your own server, create your own mods to either create the gameplay you wanted on your server or make Clan matches/scrims a doddle to setup and do. It was common to have at least one friendly scrim a night as it was so easy.

Never managed a scrim on any subsequent COD games. Shame.
KiNETiK 8th September 2011, 11:09 Quote
I don't have any plans to buy MW3, i'm more of a BF fan but I don't really see the issue that people have with this extra payment.

I have sunk over 600 hours into Bad Company 2 and it has cost me a fixed price of £30. Obviously I really enjoy playing this game and if there were extras that would extend the games life and add another layer of service to the game, another £35 for a year isn't really that much. After all, it would still only be £65 for over 600 hours of gameplay (for me). Compare this to an MMORPG which people will happily pay a one off purchase price + a monthly fee just for the privilege of playing the game.

So yea the majority of people hate MW3 on the PC and its easy to jump on the bandwagon and dismiss any news that comes out about the game but paying an extra 3 QUID a month for some extra content and services (I also quite like the idea of all the offical clan stuff that they are offering) for a game that people will play for hours and hours seems fine to me.
sub routine 8th September 2011, 11:54 Quote
hopefully paying for DLC should mean a company can afford more manpower and more effort into making more **** you like, I `m ok with that. I wont be buying any of this though, just saying.
BoogieMan 8th September 2011, 14:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub routine
hopefully paying for DLC should mean a company can afford more manpower and more effort into making more **** you like, I `m ok with that. I wont be buying any of this though, just saying.

Maybe sort out the matchmaking on the PS3 version. BlackOps was awful.
XXAOSICXX 8th September 2011, 14:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c

PC gamers have had DLC for free for quite a while and now the game companies want us to pay for just like the console gamers have ever, since the start and I have no problem with that happening as it is only FAIR that we pay just like they do.

I think you might want to re-evaluate your understanding of the word "fair". Ripping off one group of customers because they're already ripping off another group doesn't sound too fair to me. "Fair" would be not charging either group an extortionate annual fee for a very wishy-washy offering.

The problem, in my eyes, is the message consumers send out to the publishers when they pay for this kind of thing. It says "it's ok to charge me £75 for a game (£40+£35)". It says "I'll pay whatever you want" regardless of whether or not the offering represents value for money.

Once a precedent has been set it's very hard to go back from this. Yes, we used to get free content, then the shift towards paid-for DLC happened and now it's common place. Games contain less content than they used to, we already pay more for this and now we pay for DLC on top. I'm not clinging on to the era when content was free, DLC is here and it's here to stay - and certainly subscription based games will eventually make their way into the mainstream market more fully - but I don't see why anybody would want to encourage and speed-up the process.

Activision are not trying to provide value for money with this "service". It's just a shallow money-grabbing attempt to squeeze every last penny out of your gaming budget. Fair play to them, they're a business, I'd expect nothing less...but they won't be seeing a penny of my hard-earned cash.
Blademrk 8th September 2011, 15:34 Quote
The thing I don't like is the subscribers get benefits such as increased XP gain (boosting the rate of unlocks) things like this tend to break the game for non-subscribers as the dificulty swings far too much into the favour of those that have subscribed.

As I've read somewhere on free to play games (think it might have been on here actually): if they concentrate too much on making the game better for those for actually fork out for the "Elite" sub and give them a to much of a boost, then the core gamers will find the game unbalanced and not stick around for long leaving fewer players for the elite to actually play against.
impar 8th September 2011, 16:13 Quote
Greetings!

The player base will be divided into haves and have-nots.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums