bit-gamer.net

Diablo 3 director defends always-online DRM

Diablo 3 director defends always-online DRM

Blizzard's Jay Wilson has defended Diablo 3's always-online DRM but acknowledged it may upset some.

In an interview with PC Gamer Jay Wilson, the director for the upcoming Diablo 3, has aired his views about the controversial decision to use the much derided always-online DRM.

In this day and age the notion that there’s this whole vast majority of players out there that don’t have online connectivity - this really doesn't fly any more,’ said Wilson.

Wilson later admitted that the decision to focus Diablo 3 on multiplayer would alienate some potential players, however.

You’ve got to make choices about what you want to do, and sometimes those choices are going to are going to make some people unhappy, but if you feel like it’s what is the right thing to do to making a better product then you have to do it.'

Blizzard recently revealed Diablo 3 as featuring a number of controversial features, such as the requirement for a constant link to Blizzard's Battle.net system and an in-game item shop which runs on real money.

Let us know your thoughts in the forum.

85 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Phalanx 24th August 2011, 12:59 Quote
So they can't make an option to have an offline and an online character, separate from each other? Alienating customers in any business is just plain stupid.

I smell faeces. Oh no, wait, that's Activision...
rollo 24th August 2011, 13:06 Quote
its not going to affect sales either way as people have waited years and years for it

diablo 2 is still very popular in itself
Sensei 24th August 2011, 13:08 Quote
No point in buying this for my laptop then.
I hope the game fails. Their attitude stinks.
Phalanx 24th August 2011, 13:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
its not going to affect sales either way as people have waited years and years for it

diablo 2 is still very popular in itself

I think it's been shown it will affect sales. I, for example, won't be buying it upon release.
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 13:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
its not going to affect sales either way as people have waited years and years for it

diablo 2 is still very popular in itself

I still play Diablo 2 on Battle net :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei
No point in buying this for my laptop then.
I hope the game fails. Their attitude stinks.

This games seams nice and I don't care if it is a success or not as I will buy it. I really don't know why people are complaining about the always ON DRM .... Doesn't it work the same way with Steam ? If it can prevent piracy then it is ok with me. I worked as a game developper and I know how it is to see your work stolen. Blizzard is a big company and can survive piracy .... but many very creative, but small, studios did close because of piracy.
fooboi 24th August 2011, 13:15 Quote
"In this day and age the notion that there’s this whole vast majority of players out there that don’t have online connectivity - this really doesn't fly any more" - what doesn't fly anymore is execs not knowing facts and making stupid comments like the above.

Yes alienating the entire African continent for whom Internet costs are extremely high, totally unstable or non existent.

Definitely on my boycott list
Jqim 24th August 2011, 13:18 Quote
You can’t aim your product at everyone and not alienate some groups because people are to diverse. It makes sense to have players online not only for the reasons they mention but alot of others like you can see what , when how and possibly why they play. That information is invaluble from a buiness perspective.

Pandering to the comparityly tiny demographic of on the go laptop gamers or hardcore nuts who can live without a game for a week when they move house, or even the small number of poeple who both love games and have a crap internet connection will not make as much money.


If on the other hand you aim your game at the large group of people who have a decent enough connection, who just want their computer to 'just work' and have the money and lack of arrogance to buy a game they think will be cool to play with their mates just like they do on xbox live then you are going to make loads of money.

To properly address the 'just work' issue you have to have people online all the time so you can accuratly record and diagnose what goes wrong.
fooboi 24th August 2011, 13:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic

This games seams nice and I don't care if it is a success or not as I will buy it. I really don't know why people are complaining about the always ON DRM .... Doesn't it work the same way with Steam ? If it can prevent piracy then it is ok with me. I worked as a game developper and I know how it is to see your work stolen. Blizzard is a big company and can survive piracy .... but many very creative, but small, studios did close because of piracy.

Nope steam has an offline option and doesn't lock you out of your games just cause your someone stole the cable between your home and the exchange.
liratheal 24th August 2011, 13:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
its not going to affect sales either way as people have waited years and years for it

diablo 2 is still very popular in itself

I still play Diablo 2 on Battle net :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei
No point in buying this for my laptop then.
I hope the game fails. Their attitude stinks.

This games seams nice and I don't care if it is a success or not as I will buy it. I really don't know why people are complaining about the always ON DRM .... Doesn't it work the same way with Steam ? If it can prevent piracy then it is ok with me. I worked as a game developper and I know how it is to see your work stolen. Blizzard is a big company and can survive piracy .... but many very creative, but small, studios did close because of piracy.

...but it doesn't stop piracy.

At all.

Nor will it ever.
Th3Maverick 24th August 2011, 13:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
its not going to affect sales either way as people have waited years and years for it

diablo 2 is still very popular in itself

I still play Diablo 2 on Battle net :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei
No point in buying this for my laptop then.
I hope the game fails. Their attitude stinks.

This games seams nice and I don't care if it is a success or not as I will buy it. I really don't know why people are complaining about the always ON DRM .... Doesn't it work the same way with Steam ? If it can prevent piracy then it is ok with me. I worked as a game developper and I know how it is to see your work stolen. Blizzard is a big company and can survive piracy .... but many very creative, but small, studios did close because of piracy.

I care, because I'm stationed in Afghanistan and my network connectivity sucks ass.

And no, Steam does not work that way. By default, I can play any Steam game for up to 30 days without checking in on the Steam servers. If I have to head to an outstation, I shoot the Steam helpdesk a quick email letting them know my situation, and they work some crazy hoodoo magic that lets me play for up to 90 days without having to check in.

It's sad, because I was really looking forward to this.
Sensei 24th August 2011, 13:21 Quote
GuilleAcoustic

My problem is simply this, I will not be able to play the game. If I bought it it would be a wast eof my money as I would not have internet connection when I play it. You may say tough luck, but its a game that I have been waiting for so Im hugely dissapointed.
DarkFear 24th August 2011, 13:22 Quote
So basically he's telling customers to **** off if, for whatever reason, they don't have an always on internet connection?

Classy.

I keep fantasising what their reaction would be if no-one bought this for PC.

But let's face it, that's never going to happen. Just look at COD:MW2 and SC2. Huge protest as well, and sure enough, the vast mayority of people complaining about it buy it anyway. Yeah, that'll show 'em. Nice will power there champ.

Still, part of me clings to a shred of hope that this'll fail. And do so spectacularly.
fooboi 24th August 2011, 13:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jqim

Pandering to the comparityly tiny demographic of on the go laptop gamers or hardcore nuts who can live without a game for a week when they move house, or even the small number of poeple who both love games and have a crap internet connection will not make as much money.

I highly doubt its for 'just work' reasons you specify the loss is greater than you think and can result in a loss of sales of millions of copies of the game. You not going to get much out of the whole always online other than a easily portable save game bleh steam does it with steam cloud and offline support so again don't believe the corporate BS companies spin.
r3loaded 24th August 2011, 13:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFear
But let's face it, that's never going to happen. Just look at COD:MW2 and SC2. Huge protest as well, and sure enough, the vast mayority of people complaining about it but buy it anyway. Yeah, that'll show 'em. Nice will power there champ.
I'm one of the few who actively boycotted MW2 and have stayed true to my word. Activision have not received a single penny of my money since the COD4 .
fooboi 24th August 2011, 13:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFear
I keep fantasising what their reaction would be if no-one bought this for PC.

But let's face it, that's never going to happen. Just look at COD:MW2 and SC2. Huge protest as well, and sure enough, the vast mayority of people complaining about it but buy it anyway. Yeah, that'll show 'em. Nice will power there champ.

Still, part of me clings to a shred of hope that this'll fail. And do so spectacularly.

Consumer rights vs Consumer Intelligence to demand their rights.
Bede 24th August 2011, 13:28 Quote
Blizzard have lost their way..
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 13:44 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei
GuilleAcoustic

My problem is simply this, I will not be able to play the game. If I bought it it would be a wast eof my money as I would not have internet connection when I play it. You may say tough luck, but its a game that I have been waiting for so Im hugely dissapointed.

I trully understand you .... I got the DSL only 4 years ago since I lived in a small village with only 56K, time limited, and no cellphone network.

I didn't knew Steam had an offline mode ..... I'm interested since my Internet sucks and I mainly play single player mode. How do you set the offline mode ? I only know the "offline" status in the friend window.

I've been waiting for it for long too, been playing D2 for 10 years now, spent 1000's of hours playing it. And always on seams weird for a mainly single player game.

Maybe player should boycot the game until they release a patch to enable offline game ... in solidarity for those who can't afford always on or have a bad internet connection.
MjFrosty 24th August 2011, 13:50 Quote
I actually laughed out loud at his comment about online connectivity.

Jay, Jay can you read this? I'd just like you to know that your PR skills are really, really poor and you should be sacked immediately. The choices have made a lot of people unhappy, not just some.

It's a money move and it's backfired. Heres a notion that might of not occured to you Jay - People don't like being told they have a poor connection mid game..

Maybe all software companies should implement online DRM. That way everyone will be so angry when their connections drop, they won't buy your crap anymore..


It's never worked, and it still doens't now.

/reality
mighty_pirate 24th August 2011, 13:51 Quote
Meh, I can see how the constant connection is the surest & easiest way to validate player items & why that's hugely important when they are being sold for real money.
But it isn't what I wanted from the game, which sucks for me. So probably off the purchase list.
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 13:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty_pirate
Meh, I can see how the constant connection is the surest & easiest way to validate player items & why that's hugely important when they are being sold for real money.
But it isn't what I wanted from the game, which sucks for me. So probably off the purchase list.

Diablo is becoming mor WOWish ... I just hate MMORPG, they are to me Diablo fused with msn.
adam_bagpuss 24th August 2011, 14:06 Quote
Quote:
Diablo is becoming mor WOWish ... I just hate MMORPG

NO just NO.

always online does not mean MMO diablo is still a single player game with multiplayer features. You can access everything in the game without ever playing with other people or intereacting in anway.

Always on-line i a pain in the arse but doesnt change the fundementals of the game.

I for one will still be purchasing this as i will play only with friends anyway so we wont interact with the AH or Real AH or anyone else. Ill simply start a server, password it and be done it with it.
Phalanx 24th August 2011, 14:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_bagpuss
You can access everything in the game without ever playing with other people or intereacting in anway.

Much like WoW! ;)
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 14:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_bagpuss
NO just NO.

always online does not mean MMO diablo is still a single player game with multiplayer features. You can access everything in the game without ever playing with other people or intereacting in anway.

Always on-line i a pain in the arse but doesnt change the fundementals of the game.

I for one will still be purchasing this as i will play only with friends anyway so we wont interact with the AH or Real AH or anyone else. Ill simply start a server, password it and be done it with it.

MMO as selling your items .... why such a feture require always on ? There was item selling / trading via forum and battlenet on D2.

I didn't bought SC2 when I saw what they'd done to it ... all those years for that ! IMHO Diablo is a single player hack an slash that you can eventually play with your friend ... items can be trade by creating a private game on B.net.

Since WOW, blizzard is not making anything good, but it only involves me.

And again WOW is Diablo with msn included .... you can play MMO's and still be playing it alone (lvling lvling lvling .... left clic left clic F2 F3 right clic left clic .... Diablo) and quest are mainly finding an item or two and killing a BOSS ... Diablo again.
RobJapan 24th August 2011, 14:14 Quote
I lol'd when someone claimed Blizzard were alienating the African gamer, is there a localized version in their language, an official release or a number high enough with computers capable of running the game even???

I totally fail to see the problem with the always online thing, seriously the VAST majority of people in the western world have a perfectly fine internet connection,

If you are one the minority who happens to have a crappy connection then I do feel sorry for you but you have to know that this minority is small and getting smaller, why the hell would blizzard cater to an incredibly small and getting smaller audience?

The threat of 1.3 billion free copies of Diablo III hitting China is a far bigger fear!!!
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 14:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJapan
I lol'd when someone claimed Blizzard were alienating the African gamer, is there a localized version in their language, an official release or a number high enough with computers capable of running the game even???

I totally fail to see the problem with the always online thing, seriously the VAST majority of people in the western world have a perfectly fine internet connection,

If you are one the minority who happens to have a crappy connection then I do feel sorry for you but you have to know that this minority is small and getting smaller, why the hell would blizzard cater to an incredibly small and getting smaller audience?

The threat of 1.3 billion free copies of Diablo III hitting China is a far bigger fear!!!

This is pure non-sense that it is mandatory to be ON to play offline. This is a real discrimination too. Even here in France, and less than 80km away from Paris, I know more than 1 village having nothing but 56K .... meaning 1000's of houses where D3 cannot be played !

I have a pretty bad internet, I don't even have the bandwidth to watch TV over internet and I'm 20km away from Paris. I think I won't appreciated losing rare items because my connection sucked and I wasn't able to loot the item before being disconnected (what append every 20 minutes on D2 on battle.net) ... but with D3 it will append even during offline game :(
Mentai 24th August 2011, 14:28 Quote
I don't see what all the fuss is about. Yes on principle Blizzard have done a poor job, but if you want to play online the DRM won't effect you and if you want to play offline the community will provide a crack for you. The end result exactly the same as if Blizzard had behaved themselves.

I'm still much more offended by MW2 removing dedicated servers, that absolutely ruined the entire multiplayer experience. I held true to my boycott on that.

@Th3Maverick

Wow, I didn't know you could get Steam to extend the offline on your account, that's really cool.
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 14:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentai
I don't see what all the fuss is about. Yes on principle Blizzard have done a poor job, but if you want to play online the DRM won't effect you and if you want to play offline the community will provide a crack for you. The end result exactly the same as if Blizzard had behaved themselves.

I'm still much more offended by MW2 removing dedicated servers, that absolutely ruined the entire multiplayer experience. I held true to my boycott on that.

@Th3Maverick

Wow, I didn't know you could get Steam to extend the offline on your account, that's really cool.

Boycotted MW2 since all my friends who are playing it are doing it on X360 ... and I cannot play against them with my PC (thanks to the lack of dedicated server).

For D3, they should have kept the licence key from D2 ... you have a genuie key then you can play it on battle.net .... else, offline only.
salarus 24th August 2011, 14:48 Quote
Whatever, I've become so jaded towards this game at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a monthly subscription. Me and 2 other friends of mine were really looking forward to this game, being huge fans of D2. We've all decided that we're taking our money to Grim Dawn and Torchlight. Blizzard can keep there always online and real money whoring b.s., I'm out. I will never pay for this title.
Denis_iii 24th August 2011, 15:08 Quote
That's quite all right Blizzard, you do whatever you like with D3 as I'll be playing Torchlight 2 online, offline or LAN only which I will purchase at full RRP on day of release.
I'll pick up Diablo 3 when its on special or in the bargain bin for a fiver to play through the single player, always online, and then forget about it as some things are just to much to take.
Phalanx 24th August 2011, 15:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_iii
That's quite all right Blizzard, you do whatever you like with D3 as I'll be playing Torchlight 2 online, offline or LAN only which I will purchase at full RRP on day of release.
I'll pick up Diablo 3 when its on special or in the bargain bin for a fiver to play through the single player, always online, and then forget about it as some things are just to much to take.

Sounds about right. Torchlight 2 is going to be immense!
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 15:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Sounds about right. Torchlight 2 is going to be immense!

Torchlight 2 and Guild Wars 2
Anneon 24th August 2011, 15:16 Quote
Only problem I see is the people looking to pirate the game instead of buying a copy are stuffed.

A new genre is created by Blizzard.

Born is the SPORPG (Single Player Online Role Playing Game)
wafflesomd 24th August 2011, 15:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_iii
That's quite all right Blizzard, you do whatever you like with D3 as I'll be playing Torchlight 2 online, offline or LAN only which I will purchase at full RRP on day of release.

Yup.
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 15:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneon
Only problem I see is the people looking to pirate the game instead of buying a copy are stuffed.

A new genre is created by Blizzard.

Born is the SPORPG (Single Player Online Role Playing Game)

lol SPORPG ;) ... I'd always bought my games but I can understand that it is annoying to get online to play offline, with the risk of being disconnected due to poor connection and loosing verry rare items (it happened to me on battle.net when killin Diablo in hell, he dropped unique item but I got disconnected before being able to get them on the floor).

Another thing ..... no D3 in LAN parties, no D3 when you are on the go, no D3 offline if you're internet connection is out of order (happened to me during 2 month).

This is pure non-sense to me. Same way with mobo manucfactuers that doesn't include a paper copy of the mobo manual but only a CD one ..... very useful when you do not have another computer available (I saw that many times).

And it goes the same way with facebook now .... many contest are only available via facebook .... and what if I do not want to have a facebook account .... I cannot play. Same with cellphone.

Society assumes that you have a cellphone and mainly an apple one, facebook and internet.
Arkanrais 24th August 2011, 15:35 Quote
This article missed the most juicy quote:

Wilson also told us some of the philosophical and practical reasons behind the decision not to include any sort of offline mode.

“There’s two basic problems with us doing that,” said Wilson. “One is players default immediately to that. So, they basically unintentionally opt out of all the cooperative experience, all the trading experience, and the core of Diablo is a circle-trading game. So for us we’ve always viewed it as an online game – the game’s not really being played right if it’s not online, so when we have that specific question of why are we allowing it? Because that’s the best experience, why would you want it any other way?”


I don't know about this guy, but I spent at least 20 times the amount of time playing single player than online, and I even managed to get 2 necros and an assassin through hell on b.net. I didn't spend much time trading (about 15 mins, cause it was boring as hell), and I certainly was unimpressed by the calibre of most players I came across. Most of them were begging for items, greifing, PKing or were bots who joined your games just to spam messages about their D2 item stores. Almost all of the time, I didn't get any kind of coop going with the random people that joined. They did their thing and I did mine, and that's how it went 99% of the time. Most of the time B.net was a complete clusterf*** of lag, idiots, bots and bullshit.

He's basically saying "you play the game the way we say, not the way you want", which is infuriating and ridiculous. Maybe in a few years I'll pick D3 out of a bargain bin if they change their stance (fat chance). It seems like blizzard has gotten too big for their boots and are now just ignoring what the community says. The whole fiasco has gone downhill since the original gameplay video for D3 was released, with the bright blue dungeon myst and the freaking rainbow as the characters crossed a bridge.
I mean, come on. A @$#%ing RAINBOW in a goddamn Diablo game.

I remember a time, long ago, when I looked forward to the release of diablo 3....
XXAOSICXX 24th August 2011, 15:42 Quote
Here we go again.

Let's just make it really, really clear.

Always-online DRM brings no benefits to the consumer WHATSOEVER.

So, to those WITH the perfect internet connection - lucky you - this DRM won't negatively affect you but it won't do anything good for you either.

Those without the perfect internet connection - unlucky - this DRM will screw your experience with the game, and it seems the majority out there are content to say f**k you to everyone deployed overseas, living in the countryside without reliable DSL, travelling on business, living off a 3G dongle or just unlucky enough to be tied into a contract with TalkTalk.

You'll notice Mr Activillain doesn't actually give a credible positive reason for introducing this level of DRM - because there are none. All he's doing is alienating a large (albeit not the majority) portion of the customer base.

I for one have an amazing 50Mb line with Virgin media which is absolutely brilliant - but I won't be buying the game out of principle. I'm not going to send the message to ActiBlizz that it's ok to treat your customers like dirt. I'll vote with my wallet and give my hard earned cash to the chaps making Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn, since they appear to put their customers before their shareholders.

And, with those above, I also boycotted (and remained faithful to) not buying MW2 or later for the same reasons.

So long as the majority of consumers are arrogant and selfish enough to think that everything's ok so long as they're ok - and two-fingers to everyone else - publishers will continue to receive the message that it's to put their customer base last.

F**k Activision, and f**k this game.
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 15:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanrais
This article missed the most juicy quote:

Wilson also told us some of the philosophical and practical reasons behind the decision not to include any sort of offline mode.

“There’s two basic problems with us doing that,” said Wilson. “One is players default immediately to that. So, they basically unintentionally opt out of all the cooperative experience, all the trading experience, and the core of Diablo is a circle-trading game. So for us we’ve always viewed it as an online game – the game’s not really being played right if it’s not online, so when we have that specific question of why are we allowing it? Because that’s the best experience, why would you want it any other way?”


I don't know about this guy, but I spent at least 20 times the amount of time playing single player than online, and I even managed to get 2 necros and an assassin through hell on b.net. I didn't spend much time trading (about 15 mins, cause it was boring as hell), and I certainly was unimpressed by the calibre of most players I came across. Most of them were begging for items, greifing, PKing or were bots who joined your games just to spam messages about their D2 item stores. Almost all of the time, I didn't get any kind of coop going with the random people that joined. They did their thing and I did mine, and that's how it went 99% of the time. Most of the time B.net was a complete clusterf*** of lag, idiots, bots and bullshit.

He's basically saying "you play the game the way we say, not the way you want", which is infuriating and ridiculous. Maybe in a few years I'll pick D3 out of a bargain bin if they change their stance (fat chance). It seems like blizzard has gotten too big for their boots and are now just ignoring what the community says. The whole fiasco has gone downhill since the original gameplay video for D3 was released, with the bright blue dungeon myst and the freaking rainbow as the characters crossed a bridge.
I mean, come on. A @$#%ing RAINBOW in a goddamn Diablo game.

I remember a time, long ago, when I looked forward to the release of diablo 3....

Same here ... I have 2 necros (lvl 98 and lvl 50 ... the new one), 1 assassin lvl 98 and a spear rogue lvl 87 in hell. Items are one thing ..... but the way you play your character is more important.

They shouldn't have name this game Diablo 3, but World of Diablo .... why enabling the offline game if it was to FORCE us to be online. Every people playing the game should be able to play it the way they want ! I prefear single player too (and play sometimes with 1 friend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
I for one have an amazing 50Mb line with Virgin media which is absolutely brilliant

50 MB .... I barely get 50KB when downloading :'( and I have to reboot my internet box twice a day :(
dave_salmon 24th August 2011, 15:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
I'm one of the few who actively boycotted MW2 and have stayed true to my word. Activision have not received a single penny of my money since the COD4 .

I didn't grab MWF2, but I've bought at least one activision game.


I was being screamed at by a few people (not on here) for cancelling my plans to grab Diablo 3 because of the DRM.

It's about the attitudes of the developers for me. Stinks of uncaring arrogance.

I'm grabbing Torchlight 2 and Grimdawn instead.
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 15:50 Quote
What I really like, but it's very very very rare, is when studios release a Linux installer of the game (Unreal, Darwinia, etc.) .... it won't happens much now since OGL is disappearing from games, but it is always a nice attention when it happens

This discution convinced me not to buy D3 ... Grimdawn, never heard of it. I'll take a look at it
cheetopet 24th August 2011, 15:57 Quote
His attitude bothers me far more than the drm. Does he realize that making people unhappy creates bad press and hurts sales? Bad PR drone, no cookie.
XXAOSICXX 24th August 2011, 16:17 Quote
http://www.grimdawn.com/

It's a spiritual successor to Titan Quest (made by the same guys) - except these chaps are doing it *without* a publisher....surviving, so far, only on contributions.

Check out the forums http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/ to see how the devs are actually asking their customers for feedback on their ideas. It's a fantastic development model and, if it's half as good as Titan Quest, I'll be very happy.
Fizzban 24th August 2011, 16:22 Quote
Quote:
Wilson also told us some of the philosophical and practical reasons behind the decision not to include any sort of offline mode.

“There’s two basic problems with us doing that,” said Wilson. “One is players default immediately to that. So, they basically unintentionally opt out of all the cooperative experience, all the trading experience, and the core of Diablo is a circle-trading game. So for us we’ve always viewed it as an online game – the game’s not really being played right if it’s not online, so when we have that specific question of why are we allowing it? Because that’s the best experience, why would you want it any other way?”


Blizz/acti seem to be forgetting a very important part of gaming. Choice.

We aren't blind, we can see quite clearly in the menu screen if there is an online or offline option. If people choose to play offline and miss out the trading and interaction, then that's their choice. They seem to be limiting us simply because the only opinion they care for, is their own.

And it will affect sales. I always planned to pre-order this, and now I won't be. I'll play it when it's cheap and they don't make any money off the sale.
XXAOSICXX 24th August 2011, 16:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzban
Quote:
Wilson also told us some of the philosophical and practical reasons behind the decision not to include any sort of offline mode.

“There’s two basic problems with us doing that,” said Wilson. “One is players default immediately to that. So, they basically unintentionally opt out of all the cooperative experience, all the trading experience, and the core of Diablo is a circle-trading game. So for us we’ve always viewed it as an online game – the game’s not really being played right if it’s not online, so when we have that specific question of why are we allowing it? Because that’s the best experience, why would you want it any other way?”


Blizz/acti seem to be forgetting a very important part of gaming. Choice.

We aren't blind, we can see quite clearly in the menu screen if there is an online or offline option. If people choose to play offline and miss out the trading and interaction, then that's their choice. They seem to be limiting us simply because the only opinion they care for, is their own.

And it will affect sales. I always planned to pre-order this, and now I won't be. I'll play it when it's cheap and they don't make any money off the sale.

Exactly. +1
KayinBlack 24th August 2011, 16:28 Quote
Get bent Blizzard. You won't get a dime of mine again.
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 16:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
Exactly. +1

Same +2 ... and thanks for the link. I'll give it a look. Very interesting approach

EDIT : My gosh, gave it a quick look ..... seams very nom-nom-nomable
fatty beef 24th August 2011, 18:27 Quote
Any idea what kind of bandwidth this will take. Pretty much every service provider is capped in the states and throttled depending on traffic. There is only so much you can shove through the pipe and if the client is run on a server and your either remote or SSH into it to make it work what is the cost up and down to have a good experience?

Seems like an important detail. Still perplexes me how a single-player game needs to be played online. I rarely played 2 online and those few instances were in private games with people I know not randoms. Way to many good games coming out this year to make this a priority.
OCJunkie 24th August 2011, 18:31 Quote
EDIT: Ok so my Africa comment was definitely out of line, I'm sorry. I got out of hand and that stuff has no place on here.
XXAOSICXX 24th August 2011, 18:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJunkie
Oh my god will people ever quit crying about this, seriously, it's not a big deal. You don't hear this kind of crap about WoW or other games so why this now? You want to play by yourself fine, you can, but you need internet. So what. "Alienating players"; it's an ONLINE game, get over it. "Player rights"; you have no "rights" except to play the damn game if you pay for it. And whoever mentionned Africa, that is the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard in my entire life, who cares if Africans can play it or not, most of them are probably starving and you think they're worried about D3? Holy geez get your priorities straight. You don't like it then don't buy it, you really think your purchase even matters to Blizzard? They can do whatever the hell they want and people will lick it up, and even if they don't they're still rich as fack.

Wow. What a great job you've just done of convincing everyone of what a selfish, arrogant racist arsehole you are! Congratulations! I'm actually quite impressed.
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 18:59 Quote
Why leaving us the choice to play off-line but forcing us to be on if it is a online game only ?
They'd better make it online only, and if you want to play alone then you create a private game for yourself.

With the unlimited internet subscribtion going to dispear, you will just end up wasting your precious quota for nothing.p
DarkFear 24th August 2011, 19:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJunkie
Oh my god will people ever quit crying about this, seriously, it's not a big deal. You don't hear this kind of crap about WoW or other games so why this now? You want to play by yourself fine, you can, but you need internet. So what. "Alienating players"; it's an ONLINE game, get over it. "Player rights"; you have no "rights" except to play the damn game if you pay for it. And whoever mentionned Africa, that is the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard in my entire life, who cares if Africans can play it or not, most of them are probably starving and you think they're worried about D3? Holy geez get your priorities straight. You don't like it then don't buy it, you really think your purchase even matters to Blizzard? They can do whatever the hell they want and people will lick it up, and even if they don't they're still rich as fack.

It's the thought of running into people like you in Diablo 3 that makes the best argument for an offline mode.

A+ job on being an inconsiderate idiot.
Kinda annoyed "African" signing off.
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 19:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFear
It's the thought of running into people like you in Diablo 3 that makes the best argument for an offline mode.

A+ job on being an inconsiderate idiot.
Kinda annoyed "African" signing off.

Well said, nothing to add
Sloth 24th August 2011, 19:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
So they can't make an option to have an offline and an online character, separate from each other? Alienating customers in any business is just plain stupid.

I smell faeces. Oh no, wait, that's Activision...
Excellent first post, pretty much says all that needs to be said. ;)
unikey 24th August 2011, 19:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFear
So basically he's telling customers to **** off if, for whatever reason, they don't have an always on internet connection?

Classy.

I keep fantasising what their reaction would be if no-one bought this for PC.

But let's face it, that's never going to happen. Just look at COD:MW2 and SC2. Huge protest as well, and sure enough, the vast mayority of people complaining about it buy it anyway. Yeah, that'll show 'em. Nice will power there champ.

Still, part of me clings to a shred of hope that this'll fail. And do so spectacularly.

Well I've been waiting for this ever since Diablo 2 but don't have internet access for gaming 3 weeks out of 4 and after SC2 which I did buy (couldn't use it for 6 weeks) I won't be buying Diablo 3 or any other Blizzard title, more than that given the FU attitude displayed by Blizzard I shall be playing Diablo 3 I'm sure there will be a pirated copy the day it comes out!
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 20:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by unikey
I'm sure there will be a pirated copy the day it comes out!

and probably before it comes out :).

I'm wondering what will people like student or tenagers whose parents to not see the point having internet at home (like I was) say. Seriously, Diablo is not a multi-player game. It's much more hard and interesting to play it alone. You really had to think when playing a Necro or assassin alone in D2. In 2 player private battle.net it was much more easier ... and far less interesting.

I won't pirate it ... I will just not play it at all.
Elton 24th August 2011, 20:14 Quote
Grim Dawn looks fantastic.

As for D3, well I'm thoroughly disappointed. I don't care too much about the multiplayer experience. It was always about the fantastic single player integration. And the LANs.
GuilleAcoustic 24th August 2011, 20:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton
Grim Dawn looks fantastic.

As for D3, well I'm thoroughly disappointed. I don't care too much about the multiplayer experience. It was always about the fantastic single player integration. And the LANs.

No more LAN now :'(:'(. Me think I'll play Icewind dale and Baldur's gate 2 again to forget about D3
Fizzban 24th August 2011, 20:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJunkie
Oh my god will people ever quit crying about this, seriously, it's not a big deal. You don't hear this kind of crap about WoW or other games so why this now? You want to play by yourself fine, you can, but you need internet. So what. "Alienating players"; it's an ONLINE game, get over it. "Player rights"; you have no "rights" except to play the damn game if you pay for it. And whoever mentionned Africa, that is the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard in my entire life, who cares if Africans can play it or not, most of them are probably starving and you think they're worried about D3? Holy geez get your priorities straight. You don't like it then don't buy it, you really think your purchase even matters to Blizzard? They can do whatever the hell they want and people will lick it up, and even if they don't they're still rich as fack.

You cannot, or should not, compare this kind of game with an MMO. They are NOT the same. Not even close.

And Africans don't all live in mud-huts in the sahara you ****ing idiot!
XXAOSICXX 24th August 2011, 20:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton
Grim Dawn looks fantastic.

As for D3, well I'm thoroughly disappointed. I don't care too much about the multiplayer experience. It was always about the fantastic single player integration. And the LANs.

No more LAN now :'(:'(. Me think I'll play Icewind dale and Baldur's gate 2 again to forget about D3

Haha. Yes! In fact, I've been off work sick this week and started playing Baldur's Gate 2 again to kill the time. I've just been recruited by Renal Bloodscalp to spy on the other thieves guild! The quests are mounting up....which one to do first?!?! Hehe.

Amazing game.
Yemerich 24th August 2011, 21:13 Quote
It could make my computer blow up, I still gonna buy it anyways!
Hell, IT IS DIABLO STILL!...

I hope...
XXAOSICXX 24th August 2011, 22:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemerich
It could make my computer blow up, I still gonna buy it anyways!
Hell, IT IS DIABLO STILL!...

...with rainbows. Don't forget the rainbows :p
XXAOSICXX 25th August 2011, 00:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJunkie
"Player rights"; you have no "rights" except to play the damn game if you pay for it!

So, the only rights a player has is that of being able to play the game once you've paid for it.

I agree.

Let's say, then, that your Internet connection drops for a few minutes, hours or days - through circumstances beyond your control.

Would you say that you, the consumer, no longer has the "right" to play the game?

Of course not....like you said yourself, above.

</case>
HourBeforeDawn 25th August 2011, 02:24 Quote
I guess they dont realize that 56% of americans either have no internet or are stuck on Dial up so an always online is simply not an option for them...
Fizzban 25th August 2011, 02:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
So, the only rights a player has is that of being able to play the game once you've paid for it.

I agree.

Let's say, then, that your Internet connection drops for a few minutes, hours or days - through circumstances beyond your control.

Would you say that you, the consumer, no longer has the "right" to play the game?

Of course not....like you said yourself, above.

</case>

The real issue is that everyone who pirates the game will be able to play it no matter what. Just like when the Ubisoft servers went down. All the paying customers got burned. All the freeloaders played on like usual. Or the EA restriction on installs...pirated versions had no limitations.

This sort of DRM will kill the industry. People will always go for choice over restrictions. If they can stick it to the man in the process, so much the better. How stupid are these companys? I'm no bright spark and I can see it plain as day. Are they really this retarded?
BurningFeetMan 25th August 2011, 05:30 Quote
Quote:
‘In this day and age the notion that there’s this whole vast majority of players out there that don’t have online connectivity - this really doesn't fly any more,’ said Wilson.

What a dick of a thing to say. I'm sick of the industry telling gamers what they want. Buy and support local people, Indie developers for the win.
Elton 25th August 2011, 06:32 Quote
Talk about "lost sales" eh?
GuilleAcoustic 25th August 2011, 08:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningFeetMan
What a dick of a thing to say. I'm sick of the industry telling gamers what they want. Buy and support local people, Indie developers for the win.

I buy a lot of indies on steam ... and I'm always looking for the humble indie bundle (but not get them for free as some people do)
chrisb2e9 25th August 2011, 14:15 Quote
Didn't read all the comments but here is how I look at it.
From a business perspective. Support the masses. Can you think of a major city where people don't have access to internet?
Ok how about some farm or war zone out in the middle of nowhere?
Now who do I care more about??
Its simple business. Lose a few customers, fine.
No in game piracy, cheating, hacking etc will keep the masses happy. and that's what you want in the long run.
XXAOSICXX 25th August 2011, 14:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb2e9
Didn't read all the comments but here is how I look at it.
From a business perspective. Support the masses. Can you think of a major city where people don't have access to internet?
Ok how about some farm or war zone out in the middle of nowhere?
Now who do I care more about??
Its simple business. Lose a few customers, fine.
No in game piracy, cheating, hacking etc will keep the masses happy. and that's what you want in the long run.

Always-online DRM has nothing to do with in game piracy, cheating and hacking.
atlas 25th August 2011, 15:11 Quote
That is such a first world attitude, Just because the developer lives in the U.S. he believes everyone has fast internet now. Blizzard has fans all over the world. I for one have bought many blizzard games including diablo and diablo 2, but my internet is not very reliable and many people in areas with low coverage use 3G, which is not particularly stable. So having an always on requirement when you could just have offline characters like Diablo 2 is just stupid. It annoys me that blizzard tries to justify it by saying "right thing to do to making a better product" how will offline characters make it a worse product? all it does is give users a choice.
XXAOSICXX 25th August 2011, 15:52 Quote
Unfortunately, the publishers will continue to get away with this for as long as the consumers accept it. The idiots posting on here who selfishly don't care for anybody who doesn't have a perfect internet connection represent the majority of people, since most people in the world are selfish assholes, like them.

All you can do is vote with your wallet, and encourage your friends to do the same.

At least then you know you haven't contributed towards it.
Chriscogley 25th August 2011, 18:25 Quote
it will effect there sales but it wont be such a big impact to matter as someone has already said people have been waiting years for this game to be released me being one of them but the who concept of there being no offline playabilty is just the most stupid thing ever as it then dismisses the whole crowd of people who just play the game for fun but as it is an online game only now there will be a massive community of people waiting to play it at all times all over the world
but there is a distinct smell if bulls**t here as they think it is a good idea
just my thoughts on the situation :-)
XXAOSICXX 25th August 2011, 20:00 Quote
If it smells like bullshit (which it is)...then don't buy it.

I've been waiting for it for years too...but you know what...my principles are more important to me than a game. I'll put my money behind developers that give a **** about their customers and play games that are just as good, if not better (Torchlight 2 / Grim Dawn).
OCJunkie 25th August 2011, 20:56 Quote
Ok I might be a bit late on this but I just wanted to apologize for my dumbass comment earlier, I realize it was quite racist and ignorant but it wasn't the intention.

Again, sincere apologies, we don't need any of that and I don't even know what got over me. I guess I'm just excited about it and it blinded me because none of the issues people are complianing about affect me, but it doesn't mean they're not issues and I understand for some it's a game breaker. Won't happen again.
avddreamr 25th August 2011, 21:43 Quote
Well there is the obvious thing to do, buy it... wait a week, download crack.
However, then you probably won't be able to play on battlenet, even though you paid for it.
avddreamr 25th August 2011, 21:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
If it smells like bullshit (which it is)...then don't buy it.

I've been waiting for it for years too...but you know what...my principles are more important to me than a game. I'll put my money behind developers that give a **** about their customers and play games that are just as good, if not better (Torchlight 2 / Grim Dawn).


Wow, just ordered grim dawn!! thank you.
XXAOSICXX 25th August 2011, 22:02 Quote
Welcome!
GuilleAcoustic 25th August 2011, 22:11 Quote
I knew that I'd forgotten something .... watchinggrim dawn video : )
XXAOSICXX 25th August 2011, 22:22 Quote
"I think we’re probably unique just in the sense that, while most studios are redesigning their games to be more casual-player friendly, we’re busy making Grim Dawn more complex and probably casual-player hostile."

Hurrah!
XXAOSICXX 25th August 2011, 22:24 Quote
" I believe many in the more traditional, core gaming audience are starting to become frustrated with the changes they’re seeing to their most beloved games. They say you can’t please all of the people all of the time and I think this is certainly true. Our belief is that we can perhaps better please some of the people most of the time by catering Grim Dawn more closely to the desires of that traditional, core audience (and ourselves).

So yeah, what are we doing that is unique? Moving backwards some might say…"
Bede 25th August 2011, 23:16 Quote
There is an edit button if you wish to add things to your post, 3 posts in a row is a little unnecessary.

I am looking forward to Grim Dawn though :)
Magizi 26th August 2011, 03:26 Quote
This is great coming from Blizzard, not only prevents cheaters from cloning items and hacking stats, etc, but also makes the game harder for piracy. Its good news for smaller studios because if Blizzard succeeds, they could also implement this kind of policy for their games and not succumb duo to piracy. How many great studios are gone because of financial problems caused by piracy. Also, more game developers would be drawn to PC gaming.

Although not all game developers have a little (awesome) thing called battle.net to support this.
Journeyer 26th August 2011, 13:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magizi
but also makes the game harder for piracy.

No, no it really doesn't.
Chances are the pirated versions will be on TPB before the retail versions hit the shelves. And it will probably be more stable.

I have cancelled my pre-order for D3, and seeing this latest development I can't say I regret that decision. However, Grim Dawn is looking awesome - it even looks to become what D3 and DS3 should have been. I'm very excited about it. Thanks for pointing it out people.
Phalanx 26th August 2011, 13:15 Quote
Torchlight 2. That is all.
XXAOSICXX 26th August 2011, 13:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede
There is an edit button if you wish to add things to your post, 3 posts in a row is a little unnecessary.

I am looking forward to Grim Dawn though :)

Didn't know that, thanks :)
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums