bit-gamer.net

Valve announces Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Valve announces Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Valve has announced a new Counter-Strike game for PCs, Macs and consoles.

Valve has announced a new game in the Counter-Strike series, called Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

Set for release early 2012, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is being developed for PC, Mac, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360s and will apparently see digital-only distribution on all those platforms according to the press release.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive will feature new maps, characters and weapons, according to the press release. It will deliver updated versions of classic Counter-Strike content too, such as de_dust, as well as new features such as leaderboards and matchmaking.

No plans for monetising the game have been announced, leading us to speculate that Global Offensive may continue Valve's push into the free-to-play market. Our expectation? Hats.

'Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999,' said Doug Lombard, VP of Marketing at Valve.

'For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS' award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac.'

As it turns out, you can read more about some of that classic Counter-Strike content in the issue 97 of Custom PC magazine, which is heading to shelves everywhere as we speak.

We'll be catching up with Valve at GamesCom 2011 next week, so we'll be sure to talk to them about Counter-Strike: Global Offensive then.

Valve has confirmed that it will be co-developing the title with Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment.

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

Check our GamesCom 2011 news hub for all the information from Cologne this year.

79 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
chrismarkham1982 12th August 2011, 18:19 Quote
never played CS but to make amends im pretty sure ill pick this up and play it to death :D
Jasio 12th August 2011, 18:19 Quote
Oh snap. This could be quite fun - I have fond memories of the old Counter Strike: Source. Lots of nifty mods and easy to kill 10 year olds.
Centy-face 12th August 2011, 18:20 Quote
I'm very much wait and see. I haven't played CS a great deal in years simply because the other people really wind me up because I don't know every single glitch and ideal way to do things. So as a noob I await what Valve will offer.

Part of me wants to see them turn it into a Call of Duty style hatfest just to see the reactions.
Canon 12th August 2011, 18:21 Quote
Hitting F5 on the steam store page until Q1 2012.
Arghnews 12th August 2011, 18:25 Quote
Can't wait
Now hopefully the consoles can get a taste of an fps without auto aim that requires skilll :D
r3loaded 12th August 2011, 18:30 Quote
[insert mandatory "Where's EP3" comment here]
Jaffo 12th August 2011, 18:30 Quote
Interested to see if Valve tries something new, particularly to try and make the game more open to new players but I can't see them doing much to change such a popular game.
Action_Parsnip 12th August 2011, 18:36 Quote
Stop goofing artound with this crap valve. Ep3 please.
lamboman 12th August 2011, 18:40 Quote
I was a CS:S player, and not a bad one at that, until I got bored of it. I really can appreciate the competitive aspect of it, but it does get a bit dull. That said, it isn't supposed to be varied.

I'm interested to see how this turns out, it should be really good actually :)
Otis1337 12th August 2011, 18:40 Quote
Q1 for EP3 anyone? CS:GO may simply come with it... i little out there i know, but it just an idea
wuyanxu 12th August 2011, 18:45 Quote
25million.

i wonder how many of those are just HL2 bundled item that rarely been touched. i've only played it a few hours.
Zurechial 12th August 2011, 18:49 Quote
This is a surprising and exciting move. It seemed for a while like CoDMW3 and BF3 were the only military-themed shooters on the horizon and that, frankly, is not an appealing situation to me.

I was never 'hardcore' into CSS but I played it a bit in 1.6 and for a few years after Source came out during secondary school. It's nice to think of a third major player coming along to shake up the CoD/BF bitch-fight, especially a player as strong as Valve with Counter-Strike.

[Insert valid but tired concerns regarding multi-platform release, pandering to modern shooter fashions, etc.]
Canon 12th August 2011, 18:50 Quote
Mine was just an HL2 bundle, but I bought it for Counter Strike, since the last major update I have played 742 hours (before the update probably a couple of thousand at least) had over 20,000 kills and still only 86% of the achievements and I havn't had a dull moment yet.
GFC 12th August 2011, 18:51 Quote
Played CS for 10 years. I'm super interested in what it's gonna be. I really hope they do something that's worthy to be the next CS.
Bede 12th August 2011, 18:51 Quote
F2P is the only way they would get all those 1.6 players to even think about transferring. Tbh I just don't think this is going to be much fun.
SaNdCrAwLeR 12th August 2011, 18:54 Quote
CS1.6 is still one of the defacto LAN games, at least where I am

I sure hope this keeps true to 1.6...

about EP3...

srsly? so Valve can't work on anything other than Half Life? I'd dump the IP for a couple of more years actually... so it doesn't look "overmilked"
BillMurray 12th August 2011, 18:55 Quote
I'm hoping for more than a graphical update. I'd like to see some more gameplay ideas, maybe more objective based games. Maybe each team could have 2/3 objectives to complete, turn on the generator, make a radio call or something. We'll see. Looking forward to some more info.
faugusztin 12th August 2011, 19:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
25million.

i wonder how many of those are just HL2 bundled item that rarely been touched. i've only played it a few hours.

Too many....

And CS1.6 in my mind equals engine with cheats builtin, starting by depending on frames per second, all the milisecond crouch&shoot tactics etc etc.

So i am sad that they waste the time on this game, instead of doing the good stuff (HL2E3).
bowman 12th August 2011, 19:07 Quote
I hate being one of those people, but..

EP3? HL3?

They've sidestepped quite a lot now. DOTA2 is quite weird already.

I take it this will be some kind of COD clone to get all the idiot kids to play it.
Blazza181 12th August 2011, 19:10 Quote
I hope to God they have cross-platform support.

Playing Portal 2 with a friend on PS3 was refreshing, to say the least.
ViPPeR_666 12th August 2011, 19:12 Quote
I've been playing CS for 10 years now and still didn`t gave up on 1.6 Hahaha

The only game that really made me getting CS aside was TF2, however, I'm still excited about this new CS though. Just hoping it won't be horribly as CS:S
V3ctor 12th August 2011, 19:13 Quote
Will there be hats in it? ~.~
HourBeforeDawn 12th August 2011, 20:26 Quote
sweet I love CS but always wanted it to have an updated appearance so lets see how this goes :)
GravitySmacked 12th August 2011, 20:46 Quote
Count me in, I'm a bit out of practice these days bit I love a bit of Counter Strike!
Fizzban 12th August 2011, 20:49 Quote
Valve seem to be announcing everything but what we want. Episode 3 guys, get on with it or if you aren't going to do it then tell us. Leave it much longer and it will just become another Duke Nukem - it just won't live up to the wait.
GravitySmacked 12th August 2011, 20:51 Quote
HL2 was released just after CS-S so maybe this is a sign?
enciem 12th August 2011, 22:01 Quote
I had a wee emotional moment when I saw that headline. Can't wait for this one
Shayper09 12th August 2011, 22:30 Quote
Will be getting. Love Source :)
Mentai 12th August 2011, 22:52 Quote
Screw matchmaking. I hope that crap is just for consoles (can bit-tech please ask about that at GamesCom?)

Other than that, yay Counter Strike.
metarinka 12th August 2011, 23:18 Quote
hardcore CS player, played from beta 4.3 on (back when the PSG-1 was god and the AWP was newb choice) and the m-16 had a scope (too OP). I was also big in the tournament scene circa 2001-04 timeframe.

anyways I don't really play anymore seems there's nothing left but weird mod servers, gun games and all this other hodge podge that wasn't the original game. I miss the old school 5 on 5, competitive gameplay days (a little too out of the circle to get back into league play)

The whole point I'm getting at is CS has very old school gameplay. Lets see: no health regeneration what so ever, no aim-down-sites (love it or hate it) Very limited radar support, and it was famous for round based gameplay, which was fine and dandy for team and competitive play. But in the modern context most gamers don't have the patience to wait around 1-3 minutes while the round ends, especially as this penalizes the noobs.

it also lacks all the modern inventions like killstreaks, classes or leveling, vehicles, UAV's or a more effective radar. I'm not saying it's bad for this, and the classes was a design choice. but will it remain the only game where you buy guns for the round?

So I'm just curious how they'll do the game, will it strictly be a graphics refresh of CS:S gameplay? will it change fundamental mechanics to match modern shooters? I.E will it get ADS and classes or leveling or will it remain a center-screen cursor game where you memorize the spray and competitive play revolves around 3 weapons (AWP, M-16, AK).

I feel either way they'll get a bunch of flak if it's a "modern FPS" then all the hardcore players will rage (as I did with the crap that is CS:source) if it's old school than it will marginalize most new players who get frustrated after getting HS 10x in a row and are stuck watching the death cams again and again.
GravitySmacked 12th August 2011, 23:25 Quote
I hope it's a refresh; changing the gameplay to match the more 'modern' FPS games out there would be a shame.
Material 13th August 2011, 00:48 Quote
I'm massively excited for this but if they change it too much (i.e. they add a bunch of stuff like regen health, killstreaks etc) then I think they've lost their way.
Skiddywinks 13th August 2011, 00:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by metarinka
hardcore CS player, played from beta 4.3 on (back when the PSG-1 was god and the AWP was newb choice) and the m-16 had a scope (too OP). I was also big in the tournament scene circa 2001-04 timeframe.

anyways I don't really play anymore seems there's nothing left but weird mod servers, gun games and all this other hodge podge that wasn't the original game. I miss the old school 5 on 5, competitive gameplay days (a little too out of the circle to get back into league play)

The whole point I'm getting at is CS has very old school gameplay. Lets see: no health regeneration what so ever, no aim-down-sites (love it or hate it) Very limited radar support, and it was famous for round based gameplay, which was fine and dandy for team and competitive play. But in the modern context most gamers don't have the patience to wait around 1-3 minutes while the round ends, especially as this penalizes the noobs.

it also lacks all the modern inventions like killstreaks, classes or leveling, vehicles, UAV's or a more effective radar. I'm not saying it's bad for this, and the classes was a design choice. but will it remain the only game where you buy guns for the round?

So I'm just curious how they'll do the game, will it strictly be a graphics refresh of CS:S gameplay? will it change fundamental mechanics to match modern shooters? I.E will it get ADS and classes or leveling or will it remain a center-screen cursor game where you memorize the spray and competitive play revolves around 3 weapons (AWP, M-16, AK).

I feel either way they'll get a bunch of flak if it's a "modern FPS" then all the hardcore players will rage (as I did with the crap that is CS:source) if it's old school than it will marginalize most new players who get frustrated after getting HS 10x in a row and are stuck watching the death cams again and again.

Thanks for reminding me just how much I hate most modern FPS games. And the AWP is still a noob weapon.

I really hope they don't change too much. I loved 1.6, and while I did enjoy Source, it was no where near as good. Headshots just felt way too easy to get.
EvilMerc 13th August 2011, 01:08 Quote
Cross platform multiplayer possible? Time to show up joypads once and for all.
metarinka 13th August 2011, 01:19 Quote
[QUOTE=Skiddywinks]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metarinka
t.

Well that's the issue. I like both modern and old school games. I'm glad I was "trained" on old school FPS because all of the inventions of modern ones, give me uber-skills without trying that hard. For instance hit markers as opposed to having to blind wall bang people in CS.

Unfortunately I don't see how you could balance the differences between a graphical refresh, and making it ocmpetitive to modern FPS in terms of gameplay and "fun factor" and by fun factor I mean, how to make sure you don't punish noobs so they all rage quit.

I think I've become to accustomed to the modern conveniences, regenerative health being one of them. That if I was stuck staring at little number in the corner again I wouldn't be happy. I'll buy the new CS out of respect, but I'm worried it won't please the young-uns that never picked up the game and the old school folk who hate all the modern FPS mechanics.

/loved MW2 gameplay, thought it was the right blend of skill and arcadey-ness
//cept for tubes, they are the AWP of MW2
identikit 13th August 2011, 01:49 Quote
[QUOTE=metarinka;2775496]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks


Well that's the issue. I like both modern and old school games. I'm glad I was "trained" on old school FPS because all of the inventions of modern ones, give me uber-skills without trying that hard. For instance hit markers as opposed to having to blind wall bang people in CS.

Unfortunately I don't see how you could balance the differences between a graphical refresh, and making it ocmpetitive to modern FPS in terms of gameplay and "fun factor" and by fun factor I mean, how to make sure you don't punish noobs so they all rage quit.

I think I've become to accustomed to the modern conveniences, regenerative health being one of them. That if I was stuck staring at little number in the corner again I wouldn't be happy. I'll buy the new CS out of respect, but I'm worried it won't please the young-uns that never picked up the game and the old school folk who hate all the modern FPS mechanics.

/loved MW2 gameplay, thought it was the right blend of skill and arcadey-ness
//cept for tubes, they are the AWP of MW2

+1

Man 1.6, can't begin to imagine how much time I spent on that.

Also agree that MW2 could have been similar but was just diluted down for the masses. Hardcore modes are the only modes worth playing and that require skill.
Skiddywinks 13th August 2011, 02:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by metarinka


Well that's the issue. I like both modern and old school games. I'm glad I was "trained" on old school FPS because all of the inventions of modern ones, give me uber-skills without trying that hard. For instance hit markers as opposed to having to blind wall bang people in CS.

Unfortunately I don't see how you could balance the differences between a graphical refresh, and making it ocmpetitive to modern FPS in terms of gameplay and "fun factor" and by fun factor I mean, how to make sure you don't punish noobs so they all rage quit.

I think I've become to accustomed to the modern conveniences, regenerative health being one of them. That if I was stuck staring at little number in the corner again I wouldn't be happy. I'll buy the new CS out of respect, but I'm worried it won't please the young-uns that never picked up the game and the old school folk who hate all the modern FPS mechanics.

/loved MW2 gameplay, thought it was the right blend of skill and arcadey-ness
//cept for tubes, they are the AWP of MW2

The one thing CoD has going for it, is that the gunplay is spot on if you want a fast paced frag-a-thon. That's why I loved MW1. Ever since then, I have felt it has been designed more and more to cater to 13 year olds that want big explosions, no thinking, no team play, easy killing. It's like a massive, adolescent, instant-gratification machine. And that's why I hate it. And the tubes are even worse than the AWP, since at least the AWP doesn't have AoE, and doesn't need to be scoped to be accurate.

As far as modern game mechanics go, I do definitely enjoy them. Don't get me wrong. Some games would be **** with traditional health percentages. In fact, I do prefer regenerating health, generally speaking. At least in SP games, since if it comes down to a choice between hiding behind a wall for a couple of seconds, or back tracking to the last medkit I remember, I may as well have the one that keeps me playing and doesn't break the flow so much.

Thing is, if they were to release a CS game without changing any major mechanics (such as health, adding ADS etc), I would love it because it would keep the kind of gamers I just spoke about from playing it. The main reason I want BF3 so much, is because it is so team based. Sure, you can play team DM etc on CoD, but unless you have a group of people you know who play well (say for example you are on matchmaking on your own), team games just end up being 16 Rambos running around, who happen to be on the same team. That is the mindset of modern FPS games, generally speaking.

CS is not about that. That is why I don't think they need to make it "competitive" with modern FPS games. It doesn't need to be, nor is it aiming at that audience. If they keep what make CS the game it is, they can fiddle with minor things all they want; I don't want a CS clone with no changes, I do want some things mixed up to keep it fresh and fun.

The thing is, I kinda agree with you in that they may want to make GO competitive, and if that is the case, I expect ADS, regenerating health etc. If it was going to be PC only, I wouldn't be worried. But to appeal to the console crowd, I do worry it is going to have to mutate drastically, and lose all of its fans in the process.
Skiddywinks 13th August 2011, 02:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by identikit

Hardcore modes are the only modes worth playing and that require skill.

I hear that.

Also, what's with people's lack of quoting skills today?
Skiddywinks 13th August 2011, 02:09 Quote
Sorry, may as well delete.
hirezo 13th August 2011, 02:19 Quote
About time! been wondering when they'd bring out a new CS.

Before I had the money to buy a pc that could play battlefield or cod I spent the whole of my summer playing counter strike. Great game, but after playing for 2 years I was totally fed up with it.

Mmmmm.... maybe its about time they made a Half life 3. Forget ep3 unless its totally new, fresh and awesome. The source engine WAS fun but it's time to move on from that, it lacks the fun of other games. The source engine is why I can't enjoy l4d or l4d2 they feel so outdated when there are so many new fun games to play...
Canon 13th August 2011, 02:22 Quote
Either way, if a pre-order is available I will be ordering it from whichever place, person or store can get it to me the quickest and I WILL pay over the odds. If it does happen to follow in the footsteps of 1.6 & Source then we have at the very least 6 years of play ahead of us. I'm also hoping that we can get a CPC server setup, the source one is already great but perhaps not with multigay this time.
gosh 13th August 2011, 04:35 Quote
never liked CS, was always a UT/Q3 player - CS was far too twitch for my liking. more interested in the engine, is this an updated source or a prelude of something new ?
tonyd223 13th August 2011, 09:11 Quote
Love this game, although I don't play on-line - I'd get annihilated by kids...
stefan442 13th August 2011, 09:30 Quote
r8bwp 13th August 2011, 09:45 Quote
loved playing the game but got tired of ppl using the hacks, level playing ground for all!
TeeJay88 13th August 2011, 10:10 Quote
There was a blurb in game informer months ago, imho they need to quit screwing around and give us and ending to HL.
geoboy333 13th August 2011, 12:17 Quote
Yay for a new CS. I hate to say it but IMO CSS is getting abit dated amongst the other FPS on the market today.

As for Half Life, they are more likely to make it Half Life 3, not Ep 3 as It would give them an opportunity to introduce the next HL engine.

Also, The gameplay does not need to be completely CODified as that is one of the reasons why CSS has lasted so long; Because the gameplay is unique and standsout from other FPS.
Digi 13th August 2011, 16:38 Quote
Ep3 etc etc

This is a complete waste of time. CS1.6 and CS:S are still going strong. What's the point in diversifying your brand even more?
Zurechial 13th August 2011, 16:55 Quote
Given that another studio is involved in making CS:GO, just as another studio worked on L4D and L4D2, I don't think this really impacts much on HL2 EP3.
I'd rather see Valve taking their time with the next part of the HL series than just throwing people at it as the majority here seem to think can be done to get a game finished.

Yeah, we've been waiting far too long already, but bitching about every other Valve project just because it's not HL2 Ep3 doesn't make a whole lot of sense or mesh well with the realities of games development as I understand them.
ssj12 13th August 2011, 17:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action_Parsnip
Stop goofing artound with this crap valve. Ep3 please.

no, this is one of the games that people actually want other than EP3. dont complain.
ssj12 13th August 2011, 17:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi
Ep3 etc etc

This is a complete waste of time. CS1.6 and CS:S are still going strong. What's the point in diversifying your brand even more?

CS:S is what 10 years old? Yet Episode 2 is like 4. I think a new game is warranted a bit more than EP3. Of course, I want Valve to release EP3 with this game.
[USRF]Obiwan 13th August 2011, 17:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
[insert mandatory "Where's EP3" comment here]

Meanwhile Gordon Freeman is in his 60's and has a very bad health from all the toxic exposures And is now addicted to morphine because of all the injections from the suit. Alyx is engaged with Barney cause Freeman was to old for her and Barney was the only other human left in the city, all others are turned into combines. oh... and last thing I heard she maybe pregnant caused by a headcrab infection. Dog was so jealous about this and terminated himself by jumping from the Citadel in desperation. Its a sad story. I know but it's true!

In the real world all the people who played half life, are now in the late 30's have kids and do not have any time left to play any game at all because they are working to pay of their dept to pay groceries, give money to their kids or feeding the kids.
tennisball 13th August 2011, 19:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurechial
Given that another studio is involved in making CS:GO, just as another studio worked on L4D and L4D2, I don't think this really impacts much on HL2 EP3.
I'd rather see Valve taking their time with the next part of the HL series than just throwing people at it as the majority here seem to think can be done to get a game finished.

Yeah, we've been waiting far too long already, but bitching about every other Valve project just because it's not HL2 Ep3 doesn't make a whole lot of sense or mesh well with the realities of games development as I understand them.

^ This this this this

I just don't understand why every time Valve announces a new game that isn't a Half-Life game, people get their hypoallergenic Depends in a twist. You're damn fools if you believe that the next Half-Life game isn't being developed or that Valve can't develop more than one game at a time. Just because they're not giving us trailers and updates and announcements and **** all of the time doesn't mean they're not working on it. They have enough employees to have multiple projects going.

(This doesn't apply to everyone in the thread, just the idiots who think that they're entitled to get pissed off every time Valve announces a new game.)
metarinka 13th August 2011, 23:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosh
never liked CS, was always a UT/Q3 player - CS was far too twitch for my liking. more interested in the engine, is this an updated source or a prelude of something new ?

you be trolling? CS more twitch than Quake 3 arena? perhaps one of the most twitch heavy series?
Oggyb 14th August 2011, 01:24 Quote
I liked Hidden Path's Defense Grid game, very enjoyable, so I'm expecting reasonable things from this refresh.

That said, Defense Grid was also very X-boxey on PC, so I also expect the PC version of CS:GO to have the same port-like qualities.
Digi 14th August 2011, 08:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi
Ep3 etc etc

This is a complete waste of time. CS1.6 and CS:S are still going strong. What's the point in diversifying your brand even more?

CS:S is what 10 years old? Yet Episode 2 is like 4. I think a new game is warranted a bit more than EP3. Of course, I want Valve to release EP3 with this game.

Eh? CS:S came out end of 2004. The point is, it's still the most played game on Steam. Why change it? It's clearly working. This may very well be the reason WHY they are changing it though.. the avid community means garunteed sales.

Fair enough releasing a new version along with a new engine along with HL2:EP3/HL3 etc but there is no point unless it's a new engine.
tennisball 14th August 2011, 11:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi
Eh? CS:S came out end of 2004. The point is, it's still the most played game on Steam. Why change it? It's clearly working. This may very well be the reason WHY they are changing it though.. the avid community means garunteed sales.

Fair enough releasing a new version along with a new engine along with HL2:EP3/HL3 etc but there is no point unless it's a new engine.

You could say exactly the same about the Bettlefield games though, and everyone around here seems to be on EA/DICE's dick.
toolio20 14th August 2011, 20:27 Quote
It amazes me how modern companies are able to cannibalize their fan bases so effectively - Calls of Modern Warfare 12: Bad Dooty and so on...I can't believe people keep buying this crap repeatedly! This isn't to say some companies haven't released slews of the SAME FCUKING GAME over and over ad nausium ad infinitum before (lookin' at you, Mario and Mega Man) but it just seems more blatant to me these days...perhaps that's the old age talking.

So yeah, why Valve wants to waste our gott damn time by regurgitating CS again is beyond my ken as a begrudgingly optimistic gamer; although I have to concede it does make business sense (as the one bloke stated, I do indeed think Fat Gaybe is trying to cash in on the Modern Call of Warfare bandwagon), I don't have to like it.

And I don't.

Screw CS. Screw hats. They need to focus on Half-Life.

If you don't understand what all the hullabaloo is about getting on with the game that put Valve on the map, fine - but they ended the last "episodic" installment on a fcuking cliff hanger, and 4 years is too long to wait for the conclusion of the storyline, especially with their refusal to come clean to the players and provide news one way or another (i.e. is it coming, or are they choosing to go with a full-on HL3 project instead). No one says they can't work on other games, but its mind boggling that they choose to rehash a fan mod (no matter its enduring popularity) instead of moving forward with their flagship IP.

Half-Life, to my thinking, is like the flying car - assuredly cool when it arrives, but a far-flung concept that may only possibly make it to market at some undetermined point in the distant future. Way to alienate the fan base there, Valve...
rogerrabbits 15th August 2011, 04:04 Quote
Doesn't stuff like BF3 make stuff like CS obsolete?
Unicorn 15th August 2011, 04:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerrabbits
Doesn't stuff like BF3 make stuff like CS obsolete?

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd223
Love this game, although I don't play on-line - I'd get annihilated by kids...

Please tell me this means you play on a LAN with friends or family. Please tell me that...

And for all of you who are complaining about HLE3 not coming out and this being the project of focus instead at the moment, shut up please. I don't think I've seen or can think of one good reason why this new CS game isn't a good idea. HL Ep3 is nowhere near as important to Valve as the new CS game, and that should be obvious to everyone but may only be obvious to people who know the answer to rogerrabbits question, people like me.

CS:GO is being designed around competitive 5v5 play, which means that it will be a new game for the people who take the current version seriously and play it at a competitive level. The professional CS:S scene is worth literally millions of pounds annually when you take in all the professional teams, their sponsors, and the tournaments they play in. People who don't see that side of the coin or who aren't involved in that side of CS:S are bound to think that Episode 3 would be a much better way for Valve to spend their time, but the fact is you're wrong. I know exactly why they're doing this; they want at least another 5 years out of CS at a competitive professional level, and one way or another they are going to get it.
specofdust 15th August 2011, 05:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
As it turns out, you can read more about some of that classic Counter-Strike content in the issue 97 of Custom PC magazine, which is heading to shelves everywhere as we speak.

Hmm, is this to be the new way Bit works?
MjFrosty 15th August 2011, 08:26 Quote
Although I must admit I played CSS religiously for a couple of years near launch, I've not touched it for a long time. It would be nice if this was a complete overhaul, but there was always very little chance of Valve dropping it's well fed and watered Source engine..

I'm not expecting too much, but it's good they've finally decided to refresh it, it's a great game still.
r8bwp 15th August 2011, 11:22 Quote
The latest news for cs GO secret conference
http://www.eseanews.com/index.php?s=news&d=comments&id=9969
GravitySmacked 15th August 2011, 12:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by r8bwp
The latest news for cs GO secret conference
http://www.eseanews.com/index.php?s=news&d=comments&id=9969



Good read, thanks.
stefan442 15th August 2011, 17:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerrabbits
Doesn't stuff like BF3 make stuff like CS obsolete?

of course not..... cs is and always will be the king
jimbok11 15th August 2011, 17:24 Quote
not sure if this has been posted, but first sneak peak here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-h3cIPabQs&feature=player_embedded
stefan442 15th August 2011, 17:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbok11
not sure if this has been posted, but first sneak peak here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-h3cIPabQs&feature=player_embedded

shame its cinematic :'(
GravitySmacked 15th August 2011, 18:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan442
shame its cinematic :'(


Thought the same, would love to see some actual gameplay.
rogerrabbits 17th August 2011, 19:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn
Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

No.

Well seeing as you were rude, let me put it this way, anyone who is looking forward to a revamped CS when you could be looking forward to Arma3 and BF3, is a noob.
GravitySmacked 17th August 2011, 19:50 Quote
Oh dear.
rogerrabbits 17th August 2011, 20:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySmacked
Oh dear.

Yeah well Counter Strike was a good idea... about 12 years ago.
Sloth 17th August 2011, 21:37 Quote
Arma3 and BF3 are not, will not, and can not be anything remotely near what Counter Strike is. They're almost entirely different genres, you may as well be playing Railworks for all of the similarities between the games.

Counter Strike is about 5v5 clan play, be it amateur or professional, it's a totally different experience and in that field it's king.

Afterall, there are only two different types of CS players: Those who like it, and those who are bad at it. :D
stefan442 17th August 2011, 21:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth
Arma3 and BF3 are not, will not, and can not be anything remotely near what Counter Strike is. They're almost entirely different genres, you may as well be playing Railworks for all of the similarities between the games.

Counter Strike is about 5v5 clan play, be it amateur or professional, it's a totally different experience and in

Afterall, there are only two different types of CS players: Those who like it, and those who are bad at it. :D

rogerrabbits 18th August 2011, 01:02 Quote
You forgot the third type, those who were good and got accused of cheating, even though they only played it for a month because it's shallow and has small maps and no variety and no vehicles and was barely an improvement over the original CS, which itself is barely an improvement on FPS's that date back to the early 90's that most css players have never even heard of.
mp3manager 20th August 2011, 15:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon
Hitting F5 on the steam store page until Q1 2012.
Me and you both dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon
Mine was just an HL2 bundle, but I bought it for Counter Strike, since the last major update I have played 742 hours (before the update probably a couple of thousand at least) had over 20,000 kills and still only 86% of the achievements and I havn't had a dull moment yet.

742 hours? Pfffttt...n00b! ;^p

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9252/25417615.jpg
metarinka 21st August 2011, 05:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3manager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon
Hitting F5 on the steam store page until Q1 2012.
Me and you both dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon
Mine was just an HL2 bundle, but I bought it for Counter Strike, since the last major update I have played 742 hours (before the update probably a couple of thousand at least) had over 20,000 kills and still only 86% of the achievements and I havn't had a dull moment yet.

742 hours? Pfffttt...n00b! ;^p

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9252/25417615.jpg

too bad that's source and not 1.6
mp3manager 21st August 2011, 06:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arghnews
Can't wait
Now hopefully the consoles can get a taste of an fps without auto aim that requires skilll :D
^^
Noob alert!

CS has had auto-aim since the dawn of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metarinka
too bad that's source and not 1.6

1.6 is dead to me.

Two words....adverts & shield.
Chriscogley 25th August 2011, 17:43 Quote
loved playing counter strike back in the day when i first played it but thought they would need a graphics update but if this new game is as good as the last i'm getting it straight away
pizan 29th August 2011, 18:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by metarinka
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3manager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon
Hitting F5 on the steam store page until Q1 2012.
Me and you both dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon
Mine was just an HL2 bundle, but I bought it for Counter Strike, since the last major update I have played 742 hours (before the update probably a couple of thousand at least) had over 20,000 kills and still only 86% of the achievements and I havn't had a dull moment yet.

742 hours? Pfffttt...n00b! ;^p

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9252/25417615.jpg

too bad that's source and not 1.6

Back when Xfire was good, I had about 3000 logged in each...God I miss high school and college
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums