bit-gamer.net

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine system requirements

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine system requirements

THQ and Relic have confirmed that the PC version of Space Marine requires Steam.

THQ and Relic have released the system requirements for the PC version of upcoming third-person shooter Warhammer 40K: Space Marine.

Among the requirements is confirmation that Space Marine will use Valve's Steamworks protection, meaning that users will need Steam to run the game.

Check the specs below.

Minimum Specs:
OS – Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP1, Windows 7
Processor – 2.0Ghz Dual core CPU (any Core 2 Duo or AMD X2 or better)
RAM – 1GB (XP), 2GB (Vista), 2GB (Windows 7)
Hard Drive – 20 GB space free (10 GB free after install)
Video Card – 256MB Video Card using Shader Model 3 (Performance equivalent to an AMD Radeon 3850 or NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT)
Online - Steam account

Recommended Specs:
OS – Windows 7
Processor – Any Quad-core AMD or Intel Processor
RAM – 1GB (XP), 2GB (Vista), 2GB (Windows 7)
Hard Drive – 20 GB space free (10 GB free after install)
Video Card – 512MB Video Card using Shader Model 3 (Performance equivalent to an AMD Radeon 5750 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260)
Online - Steam account

Space Marine is due for release on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC on 9th September 2011. Check out the trailer below for a look out how the game is turning out, then let us know your thoughts in the forums.

31 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
[PUNK] crompers 30th June 2011, 11:55 Quote
looks decent, too much coming out around it though, if it had come out in the dry patch we're having would have stood a much better chance
DriftCarl 30th June 2011, 12:00 Quote
I like the fact that it uses steam. People seem to be really embracing that right now for non valve games.
Steam has turned out to be a really good system and I enjoy using it(and all the discounts you get on games)
Xir 30th June 2011, 12:13 Quote
If it doesn't require that you tinker together an army of plastic puppets for a week or two, it's not Warhammer :D

Naah, kidding. We'll see how it turns out.
sotu1 30th June 2011, 12:43 Quote
Need to know how the mechanics of this game will work. Sounds boring I know, but I'm not looking for a Gears clone. Otherwise I may get this on console as it looks more like a console game than a PC game to me...And maybe I've been out of PC gaming too long but 30GB HDD space!? What?!
mclean007 30th June 2011, 12:56 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1
And maybe I've been out of PC gaming too long but 30GB HDD space!? What?!
Where do you see 30GB? I see 20GB, of which it uses 10GB (because you need to have 10GB free after the install). 10GB is a fair amount, but not that much in the era of terabyte drives. It would eat up a good chunk of a small SSD though :)
BRAWL 30th June 2011, 13:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1
Need to know how the mechanics of this game will work. Sounds boring I know, but I'm not looking for a Gears clone. Otherwise I may get this on console as it looks more like a console game than a PC game to me...And maybe I've been out of PC gaming too long but 30GB HDD space!? What?!

There are a tonne of youtube video's showing the mechanics of the game chap.

I really am looking forwards to this :) Time to rev the chainsword and purge the Xeno's! I think Phalanx and I are going to be abscent for around... a week when this is released? Maybe Litharel aswell...
Gigglebyte 30th June 2011, 13:33 Quote
Steam is a good system, no matter what bad publicity EA and others try to give it. I wonder how long it will take EA to put their titles back on Steam instead of trying to keep them exclusive to their online store.
kosch 30th June 2011, 13:44 Quote
I cant wait to sit down and start screaming at the screen "FOR THE EMPEROR!"
thelaw 30th June 2011, 13:46 Quote
Can someone copy/post the specs from the article for me into this thread as i am at work till 2000hrs, PC at work wont allow me into the gaming section of this site due to "gaming" being in the title of the link...
runadumb 30th June 2011, 14:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelaw
Can someone copy/post the specs from the article for me into this thread as i am at work till 2000hrs, PC at work wont allow me into the gaming section of this site due to "gaming" being in the title of the link...

Minimum Specs:
OS – Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP1, Windows 7
Processor – 2.0Ghz Dual core CPU (any Core 2 Duo or AMD X2 or better)
RAM – 1GB (XP), 2GB (Vista), 2GB (Windows 7)
Hard Drive – 20 GB space free (10 GB free after install)
Video Card – 256MB Video Card using Shader Model 3 (Performance equivalent to an AMD Radeon 3850 or NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT)
Online - Steam account

Recommended Specs:
OS – Windows 7
Processor – Any Quad-core AMD or Intel Processor
RAM – 1GB (XP), 2GB (Vista), 2GB (Windows 7)
Hard Drive – 20 GB space free (10 GB free after install)
Video Card – 512MB Video Card using Shader Model 3 (Performance equivalent to an AMD Radeon 5750 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260)
Online - Steam account

My workplace isn't so tight...yet ;)
the-beast 30th June 2011, 14:41 Quote
"Online - Steam account" - Boo, another DRM infested game :(
Scarlet0pimp 30th June 2011, 14:56 Quote
Steam is great though. :-)
thelaw 30th June 2011, 15:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet0pimp
Steam is great though. :-)

That it is - if you have unlimited broadband deals like in the UK, moving home to new zealand soon and they still charge by the gigabyte out there our main company allows you to still buy bulk monthly deals which is 1/5/10/40 gigabytes packages but they do charge if you go over youR monthly limit as well, alot of countries still have not moved to unlimited monthly deals..so anything that requires constant connection or a large download like a game via steam or even online gameplay can eat into your monthly useage...take a 8 gig game when you only have a 40gig monthly limit for example via steam...

DRM is a example of having to have a constant link eating into peoples monthly useage abeit only kb it still adds up.

For that privilage of that "massive 40gig allowance", including landline calls they want just over £40/45 a month lol people say the UK is expensive...

http://www.telecom.co.nz/totalhome

At present re-installing all my steam games here in the uk while i can but will be giving steam up re purchases of new games soon..and going back to cd rom for the main installation.
Hakuren 30th June 2011, 15:15 Quote
Any game which do require permanent online link is DEAD for me. No matter how good the Game is. And Steam. Grr... Tricked once with Supreme Commander2 and never again, and I do have unlimited broadband. Steam is [censored]! I do not work for EA. Just after one game I'm completely cured [for life] from Steam.
Scarlet0pimp 30th June 2011, 17:03 Quote
Can do steam in offline mode to though Hakuren, why is it gash as you say? I dont under stand steam haters, it always works for me and i like having all my games in the same place and can talk to my friends using steam chat and in games that support it can join friends games with 1 click. Obviously I understand why people dont like it when they are on restricted internet connections.
OCJunkie 30th June 2011, 18:42 Quote
Steam haters are usually just uneducated and don't know about OFFLINE mode, or they're talking about an online game that can't be played without a constant connection anyway so then Steam changes nothing. I still don't see the issue, Steam is just so convenient...
Anyways.
I preordered this right after watching the trailers and seeing the insane gore. I like the feel of the Warhammer 40k "multiverse" but I'm really not a fan of their strategy mechanics so I jumped on it.
karsh 30th June 2011, 18:54 Quote
Another Warhammer Game... wish they would come up with a new Homeworld game instead, since they own the IP again.
Sloth 30th June 2011, 20:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelaw
That it is - if you have unlimited broadband deals like in the UK, moving home to new zealand soon and they still charge by the gigabyte out there our main company allows you to still buy bulk monthly deals which is 1/5/10/40 gigabytes packages but they do charge if you go over youR monthly limit as well, alot of countries still have not moved to unlimited monthly deals..so anything that requires constant connection or a large download like a game via steam or even online gameplay can eat into your monthly useage...take a 8 gig game when you only have a 40gig monthly limit for example via steam...

DRM is a example of having to have a constant link eating into peoples monthly useage abeit only kb it still adds up.

For that privilage of that "massive 40gig allowance", including landline calls they want just over £40/45 a month lol people say the UK is expensive...

http://www.telecom.co.nz/totalhome

At present re-installing all my steam games here in the uk while i can but will be giving steam up re purchases of new games soon..and going back to cd rom for the main installation.
I'm not entirely savvy on Space Marine's launch, but being a Steamworks game doesn't exactly mean that you have to buy it on Steam. There will likely be a box version where can install by disc, it just requires Steam to activate and play online. Updates will likley have to be downloaded via Steam, but then you'd have to download updates even without Steam so it's a moot point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuren
Any game which do require permanent online link is DEAD for me. No matter how good the Game is. And Steam. Grr... Tricked once with Supreme Commander2 and never again, and I do have unlimited broadband. Steam is [censored]! I do not work for EA. Just after one game I'm completely cured [for life] from Steam.
You activate online at once, something which is not at all exclusive to Steam, and can play offline after that. You only need an "online link" when playing online but then that's kind of required to be playing online in the first place. :)
Xir 1st July 2011, 09:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelaw
PC at work wont allow me into the gaming section of this site due to "gaming" being in the title of the link...
Same here :'(
Xir 1st July 2011, 09:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelaw
That it is - if you have unlimited broadband deals like in the UK
Yah...always on starts to be VERY annoying when you live in the back of beyond
(like smack in the middle of Germany) :D
I'm lucky to have broadband...but it's only been available for two years now
thelaw 1st July 2011, 09:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth
I'm not entirely savvy on Space Marine's launch, but being a Steamworks game doesn't exactly mean that you have to buy it on Steam. There will likely be a box version where can install by disc, it just requires Steam to activate and play online. Updates will likley have to be downloaded via Steam, but then you'd have to download updates even without Steam so it's a moot point.

You activate online at once, something which is not at all exclusive to Steam, and can play offline after that. You only need an "online link" when playing online but then that's kind of required to be playing online in the first place. :)

The point i was referring too mainly surroundings the-beasts comment re DRM is not so much downloading full games but having to have a constant uplink because of DRM is fine when you have unlimited monthly allowance, but not so much when there is a limit to how much usage you can have per month especially if you are like me who downloads alot, plays online alot and will soon have to monitor monthly useage.

For some reason because i highlighted steam is not practical in all circumstances people assumed i was bashing steam - I am not bashing steam nor am i a steam hater, i have steam now, i love it, i want its babies etc etc etc and i think its great to be able to download games rather than wait for them to arrive in the post and getting constant updates for games as they are released, however its on a serious practical note its designed for markets where unlimited broadband packages are available meaning its only designed for UK/US/euro markets as there are only a smattering of other countries worldwide where unlimited packages are available at a realistic consumer price......so having a game that requires DRM or a constant data uplink via steam just for some silly related rewards system they have on alot of there games is a pain in the A
XXAOSICXX 1st July 2011, 11:11 Quote
Those complaining about the bandwidth implications of having Steamworks as the DRM system for this title are really missing a couple of points:

1) Connecting to (and maintaining that connection to) the Steam servers for the DRM aspect of the game does, as previously mentioned, use Kilobytes, not Megabybtes. You could leave that game running all day long every day and you'd never even notice it affect your bandwidth usage, it's that minimal.

2) You say that the UK has "unlimited" bandwidth deals - but you're ignoring the "fair usage policy" employed by most ISPs. I pay the best part of £50 a month with Virgin for properly-unlimited cable broadband, so we are talking about the same sort of numbers here.

3) I hardly think a big American Hoo-ah company is going to hold back on digital distribution etc because certain countries are behind-the-times. If you don't want to buy it online, buy the retail boxed version....I really don't see the problem
thelaw 1st July 2011, 12:13 Quote
There isn't really a problem i was simply raising another point of discussion to someone elses post and allaying to the fact in some circumstances steam isn't a solution for all and that DRM is a issue for some, for some reason people have latched onto it and wanted to start some sort of debate on it(guess they are bored or in need of a new game or something).

You mention that DRM will only use kbs which is correct, the issue with DRM is when you do go over your monthly allowance and can no longer play the game because of it till the following month...same with some steam games that requires a connection to play.....

I am not looking for pity or a way around it i was simply putting across another point that for some DRM is a issue...
the-beast 1st July 2011, 14:02 Quote
Going back to my previous comment, my gripe with steam is:

1. The DRM. I personally don't like asking permission to play something I have paid for and if my connection is down (which it is regularly because its rubbish) I can no longer install, activate and play the game. Offline mode if its available tends to only last a few days before steam wants to re-authenticate the games, because as you know i may have stolen it since it was last authenticated!
2. Choice - With most steam games you can only get them on steam, the games are just not available without it
3. Size - Steam games regularly only have part or non of the games on disk and because the best deal available to me has a small month limit, it would take the best part of 3/4 months to download an entire game. E.g. the latest COD
4. Cost - Excluding the sales steam us always more expensive.

I don't have any issue with steam as a product. Its obviously great for people who have amazing internet connections and are willing to accept its limitations for its conveniences. What I do have a problem with is when its the only game in town and there is no other choice. Surely there are laws against that sort of thing?
thelaw 1st July 2011, 14:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-beast

I don't have any issue with steam as a product. Its obviously great for people who have amazing internet connections and are willing to accept its limitations for its conveniences. What I do have a problem with is when its the only game in town and there is no other choice. Surely there are laws against that sort of thing?

When you say the "only game in town" are you refering to the only online game download supplier?

Because that is not the case there are other sites that allow game downloads, like direct2drive etc...there would not be a law against anyone can set up there own steam equivalent as long as you dont breach patents, it would be just few would want too with the costs of servers/suppling bandwidth for download, buying power for buying games from the makers and having customer recognition to turn a profit.
Toploaded 2nd July 2011, 18:44 Quote
BTW, I like steam and have over 200 games on it, but it's fair to say it's got it's issues and it's not always the best way to buy your games even if you do have unlimited bandwidth, so research and shop around always!

For example, I decided to pre order the Wither 2 directly from GoG.com. I did this mostly because I wanted to support the publisher as much as possible and because it was novel to have a totally DRM free AAA on launch day. There was a part of me that was a little sad because I wanted it tied with my Steam account for future convenience and patches.

But, turns out that for some odd reason the way they had it set up on steam means people had to re download the entire game again for the patch on Steam, that's 9gigs compared to the 12mbs I had to download for the same content. Seems I did the right thing and now I've ditched my steam loyally for what ever is the best price I can get (and as long as I can redownload an unlimited amount of times like GoG.com)
Toploaded 2nd July 2011, 18:58 Quote
Double Post
enciem 2nd July 2011, 23:23 Quote
I really like steam but it can be a bit useless if your internet drops out, half the games don't work. My mate didn't know you had to activate offline mode while your still connected and steam told him he just needed to connect quickly. With what? He'd just moved, he's not going to take his pc to wifi hotspot is he? Seems a bit daft to have to be online to activate offline mode properly.

Might get the game, looks pretty good so far.
jimmyjj 2nd July 2011, 23:24 Quote
Trailer was really cheesy.
Eiffie 3rd July 2011, 00:44 Quote
At least THQ didn't use GFWL like they did with the first two dawn of war games. Steamworks works for me! Now if only more games would ditch that crappy service so my future PC will never have to have it installed.
Xir 4th July 2011, 11:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by enciem
Seems a bit daft to have to be online to activate offline mode properly.
Yah...offline only works when you's set thepassword to "remember"...which causes me to forget it by not using it :D
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums