Onlive to launch tablet client before 2012

Onlive to launch tablet client before 2012

Onlive has been demoed on tablets for months, but the client is only just being readied for release.

Onlive, the cloud gaming company which is seeking to revolutionise how you play games, is planning to release a tablet client by the end of the year.

Both iPad and Android tablets will be supported by the new client and will work with a new wireless controller that makes controlling games easier. Touchscreen controls will also be supported.

Compatible tablets will also be able to output to HDTVs or monitors too.

While spokespeople have stopped short of promising such functionality, the company has made mention of streaming different interactive content to tablets and HDTVs - a feature integral to Nintendo's just-announced Wii U console.

Onlive is a new cloud gaming system where titles are run on distant servers, with in-game action streamed back to devices as supposedly lag-free video and controls fed to the cloud over the internet. The system has been demoed on iPads ever since Onlive was first announced, but a tablet client is only just being readied for the public.

'The OnLive Player App for iPad and Android shows how with the power of the cloud, the question is not whether cloud gaming will be able to catch up to consoles, it will be whether consoles will be able to catch up to cloud gaming,' said CEO Steve Perlman.

Onlive is due to launch in the UK this Autumn. Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

You can check out other news from the show via our E3 2011 News hub.

coolius 8th June 2011, 12:01 Quote
probably not a good idea to try using it over a 3G connection however.
adam_bagpuss 8th June 2011, 12:05 Quote
its not even good on a fast broadband connection from what ive read so this is still pretty fail
Jamie 8th June 2011, 12:06 Quote
When they launch over here can they also upgrade my internet connection so I can actually use the service?
DriftCarl 8th June 2011, 13:10 Quote
I tried the demo that you can download and ti seemed pretty good. Obviously I was connecting to servers in USA as thats the only place it is live at the moment. I played from the UK and there was some noticable mouse lag, which I wasnt at all suprised considering the distance between servers.
As the UK is a smaller place I would expect pings to be a little better. I probably wont subscribe to the service but it seems better than what I expected it to be when they first announced it.
The graphics are crap though, I would rather install the game on my own machnie, since the prices are about the same...
Denis_iii 8th June 2011, 13:45 Quote
when they have a pay per month play any again any time any where model like netflix i will sign up and not look back.
enciem 8th June 2011, 14:01 Quote
In a few years someone will find one of these controllers in the back of their cupboard and remember it with slightly less nostalgia than they have for the battery munching game gear
Ending Credits 9th June 2011, 12:48 Quote
I was saying a couple of days ago that I was suprised that no one has done this yet, guess I was wrong.