Hitman: Absolution to be more accessible

Hitman: Absolution to be more accessible

Hitman: Absolution will be made more accessible to newcomers, says IO Interactive.

Developer IO Interactive has said that the upcoming fifth title in the Hitman series, Hitman: Absolution, will be made much more accessible than previous titles as part of an effort to interest new audiences.

IO's Tore Blystad explained to Digital Trends that the extreme difficulty curve and unconventional design often prevented the Hitman series from reaching all the players it could - something IO Interactive is keen to fix now.

'The Hitman games of the past have been very hardcore,'' insisted Blystad. 'Even though the fantasy of the Hitman universe has a very universal appeal, the games have been so difficult to play, that it's been more of an acquired taste.'

'The biggest challenge that we had with this game was to make it much broader in every sense, so that it was easier to play and more accessible, but still retain a very strong, hardcore side as well. We don't want to alienate any of our fans who have been extremely loyal for so many years.'

Blystad said that the game would still be a challenge, however, with AI able to respond to attacks from any angle. He also discussed the importance of story and character in the title.

'There are similar things in games like GTA or these bigger sandbox games, but it's on a much less granular level because we have a very strong focus on the abilities of the characters.'

'You get so close to the characters in this game. They all have names, and they have all some kind of part to play in the story, so that they act as believable as possible is the most important thing for us. It's the most central part of the game.'

Let us know your thoughts in the forums and check out the Hitman: Absolution teaser trailer below. More videos are available in the trailer section.

coolius 31st May 2011, 12:01 Quote
Can't wait!
CrazyJoe 31st May 2011, 12:03 Quote

Wasn't that what IW said when they introduced IWNet?

Anyway, I can't see IO messing up Hitman, roll on release date!
maximus09 31st May 2011, 12:21 Quote
I hope this broader approach doesn't mess up the gameplay that is so unique to hitman. And I hope "broader" doesn't mean more generic or homogeneous, because it would be ashame if they tried to reach a broader audience after all a "broader audience" might mean; less stealth, more explosions, more guns and action.

This in my opinion would dilute and sour the Hitman series.
liratheal 31st May 2011, 12:21 Quote
Don't **** it up, don't **** it up, don't **** it up.

Please don't **** it up.

I want more hard as hell game play.
Uno1_ 31st May 2011, 12:37 Quote
If they set it up so that hits are still complex, challenging, and rewarding when you find a way that works, and the only change is to smooth the interface, then they've got a winner on their hands. My ideal game is Hitman's setting (not neccesarily story), Splinter Cell and Thief's stealth, and Assassin's Creed's ease of movement. (Not parkour, and being able to shimmy up the side of buildings like it aint no thang, but rather being able to interact with the environment fluidly.)
pimlicosound 31st May 2011, 12:47 Quote
Wow, I expected a barrage of comments complaining that the new game will no doubt be "consolified pap for kiddies", with calls to boycott the developer until IO respects its PC gamer roots. I'm actually impressed with the level-headedness prevailing so far in this comments thread!
Yemerich 31st May 2011, 13:43 Quote
Waitwhat???

Hitman is one of those game that fits all tastes. If you want to complete any level (just complete) it is kinda easy. If you want to complete it PERFECTLY (not being spotted, hide all bodies and such) then the game is "not so easy".

Hitman is one of the most well balanced games ever, and they want to dumb it?

I have the feeling that "blood money" (without the blood) is in the table. as liratheal said:
Please don't **** it up!!
Aracos 31st May 2011, 15:10 Quote
I didn't know they were supposed to be that hard? I'm sick of the constant dumbing down of games lately. Anyway please don't **** it up and I'll be happy.
loftie 31st May 2011, 15:15 Quote
I only ever play BM, but it seemed balanced to me
Bauul 31st May 2011, 15:33 Quote
You give any of the first couple of Hitman games to an ADHD addled 13 year old CODBLOPS player and I guarantee they'll find it hard as hell.

The trick for IO is to make a game that caters to us hardcore players whilst selling like hot-cakes to the kiddies. It's no good making a game that caters to the few dedicated fans if it doesn't sell very well and we get no more Hitman titles.
Zurechial 31st May 2011, 16:51 Quote
My cynical side says that their comments about hardcore gamers are just lip-service, as they always are from developers/publishers when announcing that the next title is going to be dumbed down.
The promise that changes to 'broaden the appeal' and 'widen the audience' won't dilute the experience for hardcore players almost never holds true in reality.

My (weaker, less vehement) optimistic side says that IO is a good, smaller dev studio and that the game will probably still be enjoyable.

As others have said; I don't see a need for this. Blood Money felt very balanced to me; but then I've been playing baldystealclothesandkillpeople since the first game wowed me with ragdoll physics and challenging levels in 2000.
As above, Please don't **** it up (like so many other developers do these days).
Da_Rude_Baboon 31st May 2011, 17:17 Quote
Originally Posted by Uno1_

^ This. The game was great it was just the controls and interface that let it down.
Seraphim401 31st May 2011, 17:42 Quote
So they want to make the game easy for dumb-asses.
Anyone that can tie their shoelaces can play Hitman (without cheating).
Jezcentral 31st May 2011, 17:56 Quote
Bah! to stealth. I want to walk
Jezcentral 31st May 2011, 18:03 Quote
Bah, again. iPhone fail.

I don't care so much about stealth, as long as I get to walk around dressed as the leather dude from The Village People, or a k
Yslen 31st May 2011, 18:51 Quote
It's already perfect, don't mess with it please.
Anfield 31st May 2011, 19:33 Quote
Huh? Hitman games hard to play? sure getting away with a perfect hit was usually not exactly easy, but that didn't make the Games as a whole more difficult, it just provided reasons to replay the games, especially in combination with the insane number of possible ways to finish the missions.
thil 31st May 2011, 20:30 Quote
This won't end well. Hitman was a puzzle game, not a shooter or stealth game (as such): it's inherently cerebal, not based on reflexes.
alf- 31st May 2011, 23:59 Quote
not to worried about the "easier to play" i would imagine that simply means easier difficulty's will be, well easier, i can't see them getting rid of the "hardcore" elements of the game for the highest difficulty's.