bit-gamer.net

Valve launches Steam Guard security

Valve launches Steam Guard security

Valve has rolled out Steam Guard, a new security system for the Steam platform.

Valve has officially rolled out it’s new Steam security system, Steam Guard, which allows users to lock their accounts to a single PC if they so choose.

Steam Guard essentially blocks all attempts to access a protected Steam account, then sends verification emails to a registered email address which allow the account owner to monitor account activity and grant access on a single PC at a time.

While Steam Guard may not be hugely helpful for some users who already access Steam from a single location, it provides a valuable extra level of security for those who use Steam in public locations or cybercafés.

Valve is so certain that Steam Guard is a secure system that when Valve founder Gabe Newell was discussing it at the Game Developers Conference earlier this year, he publicly revealed his personal Steam password.

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

This article has been updated to remove an incorrect report that Steam Guard required Intel CPUs to function.

25 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Phalanx 17th March 2011, 15:15 Quote
*cough*
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8232-WSGZ-8021#iptbeta

Might want to check the last FAQ answer Joe. :)
CardJoe 17th March 2011, 15:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4lanx
*cough*
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8232-WSGZ-8021#iptbeta

Might want to check the last FAQ answer Joe. :)

Whoops - will correct ASAP. +rep
wuyanxu 17th March 2011, 15:24 Quote
not working for me :'(

Security Status: [empty] :?

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=205599
sotu1 17th March 2011, 15:27 Quote
Nice. I like the idea.
r3loaded 17th March 2011, 16:31 Quote
Already activated this on my account. I've also activated a similar 2-step verification thing on my Gmail account too.
bobwya 17th March 2011, 16:33 Quote
Yes I often find myself wanting to game in cyber cafes with their powerful Intel Integrated graphics based systems...
Phalanx 17th March 2011, 16:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
not working for me :'(

Security Status: [empty] :?

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=205599

Wu mate, just check for the latest client updates in the menu. If it says you have latest, make sure your e-mail also says Verified next to it.

When those two things are met, close Steam and reopen it.
Parge 17th March 2011, 16:54 Quote
Just activated this on two PC's - seems to work ok, but another layer of red tape to get around!
Bluephoenix 17th March 2011, 16:59 Quote
mr newell just put a nice fat target on himself at least in the minds of some people by making what amounts to an open challenge.

lets hope it doesn't get too out of hand when someone finally breaks it.
Sloth 17th March 2011, 17:22 Quote
Can't wait to set this up. I only ever use one PC, so some extra security would be nice.


As for Mr. Newell's password release... what does it matter? Unless there's something special about his Steam account, wouldn't it just be like stealing any other account? Surely he could just deactivate it and make himself a new one?
sWW 17th March 2011, 17:31 Quote
I've personally never had my account stolen but I believe it is relatively simple and painless to recover even if the 'hacker' has changed the recovery email. At least this is what I have been told.
wuyanxu 17th March 2011, 17:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4lanx
Wu mate, just check for the latest client updates in the menu. If it says you have latest, make sure your e-mail also says Verified next to it.

When those two things are met, close Steam and reopen it.
i have!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/wuyanxu/4b7aee9e.png
Phalanx 17th March 2011, 17:46 Quote
Wu, exit Steam, delete "Steam.dll" and rename "ClientRegistry.blob", and then launch Steam again.
wuyanxu 17th March 2011, 17:50 Quote
tried that twice, first time just doing the file delete.

2nd time changed email to another email, changed it back to original, close steam. delete everything except steamapp and steam.exe.

end result is above screenshot.


edit: i've posted on steam forums for help. didn't mean to disturb this bit-tech thread.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21307849
Zurechial 17th March 2011, 23:44 Quote
This is a great concept since it seemingly allows the user to authorize additional systems.
I had an account security scare a while back and while I don't think my account was actually compromised it's nice to have the peace of mind of knowing that only the two systems I game on will be able to access my Steam account, and that I can authorize others later if I need to.

Kudos, Valve.
Cthippo 18th March 2011, 04:16 Quote
How are they "recognizing" computers? IP address? MAC address?

Obviously it can, and will, be defeated, but it should certainly put a dent in the amount of account theft going on. I wonder if Gabe gave out that information to encourage hacks on a dummy account to look for vulnerabilities.
loftie 18th March 2011, 07:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sWW
I've personally never had my account stolen but I believe it is relatively simple and painless to recover even if the 'hacker' has changed the recovery email. At least this is what I have been told.

I'd know I'd get my account back eventually when I send Valve my long list of keys for my games. Personally I'm more worried that I'd get VAC banned, since that can't be undone to my knowledge.
leveller 18th March 2011, 07:33 Quote
This will save their admin team from investigating all those account phishing cases ... however I'd love to get mine working at some point. BurtonJ on Steam forums reckons he can manually adjust your account and get SG working, but it would be nice for it to work without divine intervention!
Faunus 18th March 2011, 09:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwya
Yes I often find myself wanting to game in cyber cafes with their powerful Intel Integrated graphics based systems...

The world is bigger than your underpowered cyber cafes. For example,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_bang
SMIFFYDUDE 18th March 2011, 10:53 Quote
I imagine a cyber cafe full of gamers sounding like a confrence for sufferers of tourettes. F@*~ing noob! C%#ting cheat!
Xir 18th March 2011, 11:19 Quote
Is there a simple way to share savegames between two steam-computers (other than copying the files manaully?)
Zurechial 18th March 2011, 13:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo
How are they "recognizing" computers? IP address? MAC address?

Obviously it can, and will, be defeated, but it should certainly put a dent in the amount of account theft going on. I wonder if Gabe gave out that information to encourage hacks on a dummy account to look for vulnerabilities.

I haven't investigated it, but I'm guessing that it uses an authorization key stored on the system; much the same as how it authorizes a system for Offline login.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
Is there a simple way to share savegames between two steam-computers (other than copying the files manaully?)

Games that are enabled for SteamCloud do this already, as far as I'm aware; but other than that I think you'd have to copy the files manually or set up some kind of network share and symlinks or something.
doggy 18th March 2011, 17:22 Quote
Any extra security is welcome but i cant have a huge amount of confidence when you look at how useless the VAC ban system is that they put in place a few years ago. When ever i get a bit of time to jump on CS-S the amount of aimbotters/hackers seems to have done nothing but increase over the years. I am beyond getting angry over it anymore and just see it as a sign of the times : /
leveller 18th March 2011, 18:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy
Any extra security is welcome but i cant have a huge amount of confidence when you look at how useless the VAC ban system is that they put in place a few years ago. When ever i get a bit of time to jump on CS-S the amount of aimbotters/hackers seems to have done nothing but increase over the years. I am beyond getting angry over it anymore and just see it as a sign of the times : /

Play in the CustomPC server. No hackers.
doggy 18th March 2011, 23:51 Quote
Sounds good, I'll jump on for a bit and say hi next time I'm on. Do you have the ip to hand and I'll add it to my favourites?

I don't play a loads of pub, mostly warm up on DM servers then do 5on5 mixes. But always good to have well managed public servers in your favourites for when the mixes dry up though ;)
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums