bit-gamer.net

Microsoft denies Kinect for PC

Microsoft denies Kinect for PC

Microsoft has denied plans to bring Kinect to the PC, leaving the field open for Asus.

Microsoft, faced with an increasing number of Kinect for PC hacks being made by third parties, has said it currently has no plans to bring PC support to the Xbox 360 motion sensor.

Asus, on the other hand, is set to reveal a similar device at CES 2011 in a few days.

Called the Wavi Xtion, Asus' Kinect competitor will feature two cameras, PrimeSense 3D tracking technology, built-in wireless and support for applications other than games - such as multimedia viewing. Development software is set to be released in February and software will be sold through a dedicated online store.

When asked whether Microsoft had any plans to extend Kinect to the PC market, Microsoft's marketting manager said told NOWGamer that 'there are no plans to take it anywhere beyond the Xbox 360 platform'.

Users, however, have already managed to make Kinect compatible with a bunch of PC titles, including World of Warcraft and RUSE, through unofficial modifications and hacks.

No price or release date has yet been announced for Asus' Wavi Xtion, but if we hear more while CES 2011 is on then we'll let you know.

Check out our Kinect review for more information on Microsoft's motion controller, then let us know your thoughts in the forums.

69 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Nexxo 4th January 2011, 13:19 Quote
It's nice to see that Microsoft remains obstinately blind to business opportunities. But the Kinect is already hacked for Windows, so it's a non-issue. :D
memeroot 4th January 2011, 13:21 Quote
doh
DragunovHUN 4th January 2011, 13:27 Quote
Oh look, a fanboysaurus
GravitySmacked 4th January 2011, 13:31 Quote
I'd be interested to read more about the Asus device, mentioned in the article, when released.
FelixTech 4th January 2011, 13:33 Quote
Oh yeah, well Asus first party titles pwn them all!
DriftCarl 4th January 2011, 13:33 Quote
The Kinect is actually far superior to the Wiimote and the PS move, and will leap further ahead when MS upgrade the firmware to unlock the full speed USB for the kinect to track finger movements. I might eventually buy a 360 + kinect, unless the kinect gets better PC support(officially or not) then I might get it for my PC.
Woodspoon 4th January 2011, 13:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN
Oh look, a fanboysaurus

Lol, yeah very much so.

Cant see why anyone would use Kinect to game with on a PC anyway, KB & mouse / gamepad would be much more suitable in most cases.
Teq 4th January 2011, 13:46 Quote
I wouldn't use this for gaming but it would be awesome as a motion capture device in indie development (well at least my imaginary version would be)
Picarro 4th January 2011, 13:49 Quote
It would be yet another input method which would be great. Controlling XBMC just by doing hand signals? Would be awesome^8
Tattysnuc 4th January 2011, 14:07 Quote
This coupled with a 3d compatible display could be awesome. Imagine an OS like the one in Minority Report. Fancy NOT incorporating it into your OS.. seems like an opportunity missed to me, especially when you see some o fthe MS techdemos on 3d interactions and stuff...
licenced 4th January 2011, 14:09 Quote
I'm looking forward to more on the ASUS thing - perhaps a guide on how to actually pronounce Wavi Xtion ?
Teq 4th January 2011, 14:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by licenced
I'm looking forward to more on the ASUS thing - perhaps a guide on how to actually pronounce Wavi Xtion ?

Must be up for worst name of the year already which is impressive seeing as we are only 4 days in!
Unknownsock 4th January 2011, 14:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN
Oh look, a fanboysaurus

Lol, yeah very much so.

Cant see why anyone would use Kinect to game with on a PC anyway, KB & mouse / gamepad would be much more suitable in most cases.

Gaming? I'm sure most people here would be more interested in some sort of new interface tech, Eg Minority report. Although the list could be endless.
Such as a device to accompany programs. Just like the TrackIR does.

But either way whats wrong with expanding the PC market? It's narrow minded views like that which diminish the format.
Jim 4th January 2011, 14:55 Quote
They've given far more assistance to getting Kinect working on the PC than a lot of other [ahem] firms would've done in the same position.
mastorofpuppetz 4th January 2011, 15:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by snootyjim
They've given far more assistance to getting Kinect working on the PC than a lot of other [ahem] firms would've done in the same position.

Disagree, MS has done as poor a job for PC with kinect and in general considering their position in the windows PC space.
fingerbob69 4th January 2011, 15:06 Quote
Why is M$ so hell bent on ignoring ALL other gaming platforms, including pc's running their own os, other than their own Xbox...

...damn!
Picarro 4th January 2011, 15:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
No, it isn't, thats the BS of a kinect/360 fanboy. Its more limited then either tech and its trash games show that.

More limited? You mean it is a limiting factor that you do NOT have to run around with a glowing dildo in your hand for it to work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Nice job refutting anything I said, truth hurts, and just saying fanboy only proves you have nothing to refute my points with. Stating fact does not make one a fanboy. MS is a crap company that has relied solely on its windows money. All they do is buy third party exclusive deals, they make nothing of their own. Facts.

Facts are only facts when they are supported by citations. Please do elaborate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Disagree, MS has done as poor a job for PC with kinect and in general considering their position in the windows PC space.

Have you ever seen the Wii motion-thingy or the PS3 moving-dildo-thingy used for a pc? The sole fact that Microsoft haven't released an update for Windows banning the use of the Kinect on a PC is a great step.
mastorofpuppetz 4th January 2011, 15:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picarro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
No, it isn't, thats the BS of a kinect/360 fanboy. Its more limited then either tech and its trash games show that.

More limited? You mean it is a limiting factor that you do NOT have to run around with a glowing dildo in your hand for it to work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Nice job refutting anything I said, truth hurts, and just saying fanboy only proves you have nothing to refute my points with. Stating fact does not make one a fanboy. MS is a crap company that has relied solely on its windows money. All they do is buy third party exclusive deals, they make nothing of their own. Facts.

Facts are only facts when they are supported by citations. Please do elaborate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Disagree, MS has done as poor a job for PC with kinect and in general considering their position in the windows PC space.

Have you ever seen the Wii motion-thingy or the PS3 moving-dildo-thingy used for a pc? The sole fact that Microsoft haven't released an update for Windows banning the use of the Kinect on a PC is a great step.

no buttons, voice recognition limited, the games it can work with are very limited in scope. can't playa game like Socom, killzone with kinect. Its also very sensitive picking up fast movements, meaning it doesn't, its also the laggiest of the 3. Only so much you can do with no inpuit, buttons, and limited tracking. See kinect games for examples.
KidMod-Southpaw 4th January 2011, 15:37 Quote
Oh sure, like you'd stand up in front of your monitor, wave around like a happy freak, and slap the back of your hand on your case or something. Microsoft made the better decision to dent it, PC gaming isn't for movement. If you want to, get a console*.

*PC's are still far superior in (normal) gaming.
Bede 4th January 2011, 15:40 Quote
Last I checked, arguing on the internet was pointless.
Picarro 4th January 2011, 15:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede
Last I checked, arguing on the internet was pointless.

+rep for reminding all of us of this ;)
Fizzl 4th January 2011, 15:49 Quote
To: The MS haters

I love my Kinect, it's quite fun and unlike the Wii the games don't have to look terrible and have near unplayable lag when things get complicated. (Resident Evil games were a prime example, shooting with a wiimote was great when it worked but often your gun was covered in thick syrup!)

Not many good Kinect games yet but lots of potential and Dance Central really shows off what it can do (and I'm ashamed to admit is quite fun), in the mean time Red Dead Redemption is a great game and not on the PC. I'm still a PC man however and would much prefer to hook it all up to a £1000 PC rather than a £200 console that is louder than my washing machine.
supermonkey 4th January 2011, 15:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede
Last I checked, arguing on the internet was pointless.
QFT
GravitySmacked 4th January 2011, 15:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede
Last I checked, arguing on the internet was pointless.

No it's not.
yakyb 4th January 2011, 16:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz

M$.
I hate when people do that why do you think its applicable to put a $ after the M when saying Microsoft?
devdevil85 4th January 2011, 17:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzl
the mean time Red Dead Redemption is a great game and not on the PC.
I assume you are saying the PC version isn't as fun as the console version?
Nexxo 4th January 2011, 17:04 Quote
Swings and roundabouts. All systems have their pro's and con's, although I think Wii and Kinect are the most elegant systems at the moment.

Anyone who thinks that Kinect is rubbish frankly hasn't got the imagination to think of what it could do. We haven't seen the really cool stuff yet --although some hacks are already starting to give us an idea.
Bindibadgi 4th January 2011, 17:20 Quote
Please don't feed the trolls.

Masterz I've sent you a PM warning you. Continue your flaming and trolling (and frankly anyone who uses the term "M$") and you can go elsewhere to do it.
Toploaded 4th January 2011, 17:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySmacked
No it's not.

http://img443.imageshack.us/i/wrongg.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Always worth a repost.
mastorofpuppetz 4th January 2011, 17:36 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Please don't feed the trolls.

Masterz I've sent you a PM warning you. Continue your flaming and trolling (and frankly anyone who uses the term "M$") and you can go elsewhere to do it.

Am you seriously warning/banning people for using M$? LMAo, wow, just wow.
ssj12 4th January 2011, 18:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz

M$.
I hate when people do that why do you think its applicable to put a $ after the M when saying Microsoft?

They are a greedy multi-billion dollar corporation that is full of patent trolls and bad business as seen with their stance on no Kinect for PC? Who also doesn't give a damn about their customers. Google, Sony, and Nintendo at least tries to please the masses.
Toploaded 4th January 2011, 18:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj12
Sony, and Nintendo at least tries to please the masses.

I'd say that Sony are every bit as capable as upsetting there fan base as M$ MS. I'm still pissed about losing my Linux support.
Woodspoon 4th January 2011, 18:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock


Gaming? I'm sure most people here would be more interested in some sort of new interface tech, Eg Minority report. Although the list could be endless.
Such as a device to accompany programs. Just like the TrackIR does.

But either way whats wrong with expanding the PC market? It's narrow minded views like that which diminish the format.

Narrow minded? charmed I'm sure.

MS surface technology / interface / software or whatever you want to call it would be a better bet for the "minority report" style interface.
Even with the usb bandwidth opened up for the use of finger tracking something like a kinect would be nowhere near as accurate as a keyboard and mouse or as usable, there's a reason they've lasted so long as the main choice, they are simple and they work very very well.
It's not narrow minded to use the best effective system available, it's common sense.
Nexxo 4th January 2011, 18:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj12
They are a greedy multi-billion dollar corporation that is full of patent trolls and bad business as seen with their stance on no Kinect for PC? Who also doesn't give a damn about their customers. Google, Sony, and Nintendo at least tries to please the masses.

Reality check: all big companies are greedy, multi-billion dollar corporations that don't give a damn about their customers (for a given value of...). Pfizer, Nestle, Apple, Microsoft, Google, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Macdonalds, Disney... the list goes on. And I haven't started on the non-US companies yet. Feel free to lump in all pharmaceutical companies, all supermarkets, all oil companies, all car manufacturers, the whole food and entertainment industry.

Vote with your wallet. Be an informed customer who makes sound judgements about what they buy (or not), and why. But there is no point bleating. This is capitalism; these are the market forces. Love it or leave it.
Lance 4th January 2011, 18:23 Quote
I can see why they're keeping the Kinect separate between the xbox and PC but it seems very stingy.

Never forget that microsoft take a MASSIVE hit any time they get it wrong, so maybe letting people play around first is a better idea?

What would they actually loose from not bringing them together, all the kinect PC adaptions are running on windows using a (MS) Kinect so they've already made their cash, why spend more?
GravitySmacked 4th January 2011, 18:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toploaded


Always worth a repost.

T'was a joke but like the image ;)
Picarro 4th January 2011, 18:31 Quote
People seem to miss the point here.

The goal is not to replace the mouse or keyboard - but to have enough input devices to make it comfortable to interact with a computer at all times. If I am sat infront of my computer - yes a keyboard and mouse would be the quickest but if I want to browse through my film catalog from the couch I would much rather just swipe two fingers infront of me and watch the films go by.
The again, if I had to organise a multitude of pictures into different folders it would be great to have a minority report style wall to display all of the pictures on and then drag them to whatever folder I would like to place them in.
While the PS3 Move and WiiMote gives a better impression at the moment, Kinect is the future.

Imagine coupling Kinect with a mindcontrol headband (that actually works) and then play Counterstrike. It would be absolutetly effing awesome. This is the reason we need things like the Kinect. The more the boundaries are pushed - the faster the technology is adopted.
mastorofpuppetz 4th January 2011, 18:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
Reality check: all big companies are greedy, multi-billion dollar corporations that don't give a damn about their customers (for a given value of...). Pfizer, Nestle, Apple, Microsoft, Google, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Macdonalds, Disney... the list goes on. And I haven't started on the non-US companies yet. Feel free to lump in all pharmaceutical companies, all supermarkets, all oil companies, all car manufacturers, the whole food and entertainment industry.

Vote with your wallet. Be an informed customer who makes sound judgements about what they buy (or not), and why. But there is no point bleating. This is capitalism; these are the market forces. Love it or leave it.

Reality check, some companies are much worse then others, MS is one of the worst with their unhanded business strategies, and general arrogance, apathy. For a company with such vast financial resources, they surely fail an awful lot, good thing their windows monopoly keeps then rich, they have been living off it since the 80's.
mastorofpuppetz 4th January 2011, 18:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picarro
People seem to miss the point here.

The goal is not to replace the mouse or keyboard - but to have enough input devices to make it comfortable to interact with a computer at all times. If I am sat infront of my computer - yes a keyboard and mouse would be the quickest but if I want to browse through my film catalog from the couch I would much rather just swipe two fingers infront of me and watch the films go by.
The again, if I had to organise a multitude of pictures into different folders it would be great to have a minority report style wall to display all of the pictures on and then drag them to whatever folder I would like to place them in.
While the PS3 Move and WiiMote gives a better impression at the moment, Kinect is the future.

Imagine coupling Kinect with a mindcontrol headband (that actually works) and then play Counterstrike. It would be absolutetly effing awesome. This is the reason we need things like the Kinect. The more the boundaries are pushed - the faster the technology is adopted.

Kinect the future, unmm, no, its gonna be just a pointless accessory in the long run.
supermonkey 4th January 2011, 18:47 Quote
For what it's worth, the "adult" world is already developing games for the Kinect. Apparently they have the imagination to see where motion sensing controls can be used. Considering the same market, I can see why Asus might be interesting in such a device for the PC. 3D camera setups and motion tracking take webcam shows to a whole new level.

Related to the whole Microsoft vs the world discussion, I think it's bad form to just bash Microsoft for not immediately developing the Kinect for PC when my PS3 still lacks the native ability to play PS2 games. It only does everything my ass.
zimbloggy 4th January 2011, 18:49 Quote
So, the pattern here tends to be this:
Rumor: the kinect is going to be awesome!
Microsoft: no. its not going to be awesome.
mastorofpuppetz 4th January 2011, 18:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonkey
For what it's worth, the "adult" world is already developing games for the Kinect. Apparently they have the imagination to see where motion sensing controls can be used. Considering the same market, I can see why Asus might be interesting in such a device for the PC. 3D camera setups and motion tracking take webcam shows to a whole new level.

Related to the whole Microsoft vs the world discussion, I think it's bad form to just bash Microsoft for not immediately developing the Kinect for PC when my PS3 still lacks the native ability to play PS2 games. It only does everything my ass.

who cares about playing ps2 games with all the great games out for Ps3? You can buy a ps2 for 50 bones, and even less now. Hardly the same thing, at least Sony supported the PS2 a long time and never dropped it like MS dropped the xbox like a wet rag.
supermonkey 4th January 2011, 19:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
who cares about playing ps2 games with all the great games out for Ps3? You can buy a ps2 for 50 bones, and even less now.
I have several games for PS2 that I enjoy, and they are not available for the PS3. If they were available for the PS3, I would not want to have to buy them a second time. I have a PS2, but I'd really rather do all my gaming from a single console, rather than having to switch back and forth between the two. It's the same reason I don't use my old DVD player anymore.

My point is that adding backwards compatibility should have been easy considering the PS3's relatively decent hardware. It's not like it was a case of a physically different cartridge. Instead, Sony offered partial backwards compatibility up through the 80gb "CECHExx" model, and then made a business decision to remove that feature with the subsequent models. Microsoft aren't the only big corporation making business decision based on economic factors.
Picarro 4th January 2011, 19:41 Quote
I think our concensus in this thread must be not to reply to mastorofpuppetz reply's as these seems to be mostly for trolling :-/
mrbens 4th January 2011, 20:14 Quote
Quote:
Microsoft's marketting manager said told
Nexxo 4th January 2011, 20:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Reality check, some companies are much worse then others, MS is one of the worst with their unhanded business strategies, and general arrogance, apathy. For a company with such vast financial resources, they surely fail an awful lot, good thing their windows monopoly keeps then rich, they have been living off it since the 80's.

I disagree. So far Microsoft hasn't killed anybody. Coca-Cola and Nestle have, through direct action as well as neglect. Companies like Eli Lilly and Merck have deliberately hidden research that shows some of their medications are harmful and occasionally, lethal.

Your petty grievances are luxury whining. On the other side of the world people are dying through the (in)actions of big companies the products of which are daily household brand purchases in your world.
mastorofpuppetz 4th January 2011, 20:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
I disagree. So far Microsoft hasn't killed anybody. Coca-Cola and Nestle have, through direct action as well as neglect. Companies like Eli Lilly and Merck have deliberately hidden research that shows some of their medications are harmful and occasionally, lethal.

Your petty grievances are luxury whining. On the other side of the world people are dying through the (in)actions of big companies the products of which are daily household brand purchases in your world.

U say you disagree yet do not offer one example? LMAo, outside of windows, MS has done squat, and just throw ridiculous cash around to try and buy their way into everything. For a company with as much cash they have a terrible track record. I never said anything about harming people. LMAO. it the tech industry MS are one of the worst.
Elton 4th January 2011, 21:22 Quote
Nexxo wins here mastor, Food companies are infinitely worse than all tech companies, if not for negligence then for being outright greedy.

Just look at the US beef processing methods.
mastorofpuppetz 4th January 2011, 21:42 Quote
He wins by talking about something no one else was? Its not even relevant, no one was comparing tech and food companies, LMAO.
tennisball 4th January 2011, 22:03 Quote
Looks like we have another Warrior_24/7 (starts on page 3)
Nexxo 4th January 2011, 23:58 Quote
Well, you know what they say about arguing on the internet being like the Special Olympics... :D
Elton 5th January 2011, 00:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
He wins by talking about something no one else was? Its not even relevant, no one was comparing tech and food companies, LMAO.

Merely pointing out that you are overstating how unethical Microsoft is. Food and tech are multi-billion dollar industries. By saying Microsoft is THE WORST(or rather unethical) is quite an overstatement.

Enron anyone?
alpaca 5th January 2011, 00:58 Quote
i'd love kinect for my pc.

dancing with the girlfriend on a tune, but the next song in the shuffle is no dancing tune? wave your hand. no more jumping for the media buttons you can't see in the light of a few candles... and here is hoping the kinect has a limited infrared range:p

and i think the technicalities of the kinect are a non-issue. if you want finer control, stand closer to the camera. place it on top of you monitor, while sitting a meter from it, and it could probably track your eyes...

imagine, surfing with a cup of coffee, laid back in the chair, and pointing with your eyes to the links, blinking twice to click them. some voice to text software and you can even troll on your favo forum without moving a finger. easy for clumsy skating enthousiasts, with their always broken arms!
Bindibadgi 5th January 2011, 02:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
U say you disagree yet do not offer one example? LMAo, outside of windows, MS has done squat, and just throw ridiculous cash around to try and buy their way into everything. For a company with as much cash they have a terrible track record. I never said anything about harming people. LMAO. it the tech industry MS are one of the worst.

GOOGLE IT.

You are justifying your offense of Microsoft because of its track record in products? At its use of wealth? It's not like it developed nuclear arms for North Korea, used slave labour or outright killed people. Unless you have MILLIONS OF SHARES in Microsoft who cares if some/most of its products are less than magical? Simply DO NOT BUY THEM. There's always an alternative.

And yes, I would ban you for saying "M$" because you sound like a 12 year old from 1998.

Your attitude of "HOW CAN YOU DISAGREE WITH ME? YOU ARE STUPID" is at best, unconstructive, and you're not making your points valid because they are so heavily biased and opinionated. You've had your say, now I strongly suggest you stop replying and go read another thread because you're pissing many people off, if my reported posts indicator is anything to go by.

EDIT: And for the record, I've tried Kinect and I'll never buy it for a console or PC or otherwise, but I understand that it's an innovative interface people can mod and use for their own ideas, beyond what a keyboard or remote or mouse offer us.
Elton 5th January 2011, 03:08 Quote
The resounding note of a hammer rings.
sleepygamer 5th January 2011, 03:21 Quote
If I were more compos mentis right now, I would happily join in the new warrior debate. However I just came along to say if there was support in Windows for Kinect hand / finger tracks, as well as voice commands, I'd buy it. I know you can do all the hack and such, but some solid support would be nice.

Yes, just for the Minority Report style control.

It would be awesome for video and music editing. Not for fine control, obviously, but for general control. I'm sure that with a bit of tweaking and training, you could happily be able to teach the Kinect sensor various commands. For example, perhaps you want to record some vocals. The non-ideal is being in the same room as all your computer gear. Sensitive recording mics pick up a lot of electronic interference, and even the quietest of computers can sometimes be heard. The ideal is being in the next room (possibly) with the mic and such, and then being able to command the PC to start recording, maybe go back, try again etc, without having to go back and forth.

I'm being stupid, of course. A USB extender and a keyboard would do the same thing. But it would be far less cool.

And that's why we all have computers, right? For the cool? Whether it be power, or flashy lights, or just simple elegance, it's all about the cool. :D
Nexxo 5th January 2011, 10:06 Quote
Hell, yeah! B)
mastorofpuppetz 5th January 2011, 14:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
GOOGLE IT.

You are justifying your offense of Microsoft because of its track record in products? At its use of wealth? It's not like it developed nuclear arms for North Korea, used slave labour or outright killed people. Unless you have MILLIONS OF SHARES in Microsoft who cares if some/most of its products are less than magical? Simply DO NOT BUY THEM. There's always an alternative.

And yes, I would ban you for saying "M$" because you sound like a 12 year old from 1998.

Your attitude of "HOW CAN YOU DISAGREE WITH ME? YOU ARE STUPID" is at best, unconstructive, and you're not making your points valid because they are so heavily biased and opinionated. You've had your say, now I strongly suggest you stop replying and go read another thread because you're pissing many people off, if my reported posts indicator is anything to go by.

EDIT: And for the record, I've tried Kinect and I'll never buy it for a console or PC or otherwise, but I understand that it's an innovative interface people can mod and use for their own ideas, beyond what a keyboard or remote or mouse offer us.

Never once called anyone stupid..............

Offense? i do not take offense to MS, try not to assume, I simply do not like them as a company, NOTHING wrong with that, and I am hardly alone on that front for a reason. Companies like MS would stifle competition and innovation in many areas if given too much control, as we have seen already, GOOGLE it.


people are reporting my posts because I disagree with them? WOW, I stumpled across the kindergarten forum, seriously, nothing i said was offensive, i'm aloud to voice an opinion. People reporting me because I don't agree really need to grow up. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you without getting butt hurt, good luck getting through life.
supermonkey 5th January 2011, 14:41 Quote
Well, I will say this - at least it wasn't an anti-Apple rant this time. It was actually a bit refreshing defending Microsoft for a change.
mastorofpuppetz 5th January 2011, 14:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonkey
Well, I will say this - at least it wasn't an anti-Apple rant this time. It was actually a bit refreshing defending Microsoft for a change.

Don't get me started on Apple's overhyped and over priced crap, LOL.
memeroot 5th January 2011, 15:08 Quote
UK MPs slam "immoral" Microsoft, Google, Yahoo stance

THE FOREIGN AFFAIRS committee in the UK House of Commons has laid into Google, Microsoft and Yahoo for collaborating with Chinese authorities to censor and police the Internet.

:D

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1019974/uk-mps-slam-immoral-microsoft-google-yahoo-stance

ok its not killing babies or using death squads
:(
Nexxo 5th January 2011, 18:08 Quote
Is that the same government who object to Wikileaks?

Thought so.
Elton 6th January 2011, 00:18 Quote
While I do admit that Microsoft is admittedly anti-competitive in it's practices (browser wars for one) that isn't surprising. Most companies aim to eliminate the competition, it's a dog eat dog world there.

With that in mind, if you can name one company that DESIRES competition, I will be surprised. Nvidia, AMD, ATi, Intel, you name it, they all compete to eliminate the competition. I'm not trying to justify Microsoft, but it isn't surprsing that they would attempt anti-competitive practices.

In terms of the worst tech arena for anti-competitive practices, look no further than ISPs.
Nexxo 6th January 2011, 09:55 Quote
While the UK government is agonising over Microsoft's monopoly practices it is wholeheartedly endorsing --and even facilitating-- Rupert Murdoch in buying up the whole news media show. And if we want to talk unconscionable business practices, have a gander at BAE.
memeroot 6th January 2011, 10:28 Quote
Would Murdoch owning more of sky than he does honestly make a difference?
Nexxo 6th January 2011, 10:32 Quote
Would Microsoft shipping their OS with their own browser honestly make a difference?
K.I.T.T. 6th January 2011, 16:39 Quote
I'm more interested in how i'm supposed to say the name of the Asus device in all honesty...
GravitySmacked 8th January 2011, 14:08 Quote
Ballmer hints at Microsoft Kinect for PC "We'll make that announcement when the time is right"

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/ballmer-hints-at-microsoft-kinect-for-pc-920233#ixzz1AS8Af1uq
Snips 22nd February 2011, 11:08 Quote
It looks like Microsoft has decided to let us all develope whatever we like for Kinect:-

BBC News site

"Microsoft is to open up its Xbox Kinect technology to allow amateur software developers to experiment with it.

The company is to release a software development kit in the spring, which will give developers access to the secrets behind the technology.

For now it will only be for personal use, but Microsoft says it will release a commercial version in due course.

Kinect, which turns the player's body into a game controller, has been a big hit since it launched last November.

It has already captured the imagination of the hacker community, which has been demonstrating various uses for the technology, including 3D photography.

Microsoft is hoping that an army of smarter developers will now find more ways to take Kinect to the next level.

"As breakthrough technologies like these reach scale, the resulting creativity and invention will open up a whole new world of possibilities for computing," said Craig Mundie, Microsoft's chief research and strategy officer.

The announcement was made during an open day at Microsoft's research centre near Seattle.

The company is hoping that the success of Kinect, developed by its own scientists, can give it a greater presence in the home entertainment field."


Nice one Microsoft!
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums