Tim Schafer: No Brutal Legend 2

Tim Schafer: No Brutal Legend 2

Brutal Legend will not get a sequel, says Tim Schafer, who revealed he is working on four smaller games.

Tim Schafer has confirmed that Brutal Legend will not be getting a sequel and that his studio, Double Fine Productions, is currently working on four smaller titles.

"[Brütal Legend 2] was kind of a done deal so we were working designing that and then we got some bad news," said Schafer at the Develop 2010 conference, according to Shacknews.

"We got a phone call from the publisher and it was like 'Actually we're not going to do the sequel' and I was like 'Oh. That's interesting.' So that was not what I expected. Apparently when they said it's a done deal they meant there's no deal and we're done."

From there Double Fine looked back at eight small game prototypes which had been developed in the downtime between projects, four of which have been picked up by other publishers.

Schafer didn't offer many details on any of the games, but did say that they all use the Brutal Legend engine and that each project feels like "a really tiny slice of a 'triple-A' game."

"Some of the games are downloadable, and some of the games will be retail...Some of these games we're working will come out this year," he said, before revising that prediction to say "I didn't announce they were shipping. That wasn't shipping. It's interesting to notice when people write things down."

Schafer's previous games include Day of the Tentacle, the Monkey Island series and Psychonauts. You can read our Brutal Legend review for more info on that game in particular, then let us know your thoughts in the forums.

memeroot 16th July 2010, 12:19 Quote
a shame
NuTech 16th July 2010, 13:01 Quote
I think this is actually a good thing.

Tim Schafer has always appeared to me as somebody who would be more suitable to the downloadable market: Steam, XBL, PSN etc.

It's widely known that publishers don't like taking risks on humourus games, it's just too much of a gamble for their liking. Downloadable games would allow Schafer a lot more creative control and require fewer compromises at the request of the publisher.

Also, as much as I love Schafer, I got the impression that all the mechanics in Brutal Legend eventually got the best of him and the game became too big for him to control.
crayfish 16th July 2010, 13:05 Quote
No great loss.
Blademrk 16th July 2010, 14:31 Quote
I enjoyed Brutal Legend, apart from the RTS elements.
I'd almost collected everything in the game apart from 1 last viewpoint, Serpent, and music track which are all clustered around the last area but I can't seem to get to them - possibly I need to complete the RTS section against Ophelia first, which is where I got stuck and after attempting it far too many times got frustrated and gave up.
CowBlazed 16th July 2010, 19:35 Quote
I thought the RTS element really changed it up for a console game. Fun game.
StudioRecorder 18th July 2010, 13:33 Quote
thats a real shame because if i remember from the end of the game it had a big hint that there might be a second!!! but now theres not, was looking forward to a sequel
Helz 18th July 2010, 20:45 Quote
I feel bad for Tim Schafer. Everyone complains how games always lack innovation, then he creates something full of imagination and originality and nobody buys it. Psychonauts was like the greatest game that no one ever played.

Maybe Nutech is right. Downloadable content might be the way to go for Double fine.
Partez 6th August 2010, 02:25 Quote
Thank god some publishers still have a few braincells to rub together and are not on their knees sucking Schafer's dick. BL was a bland game and if Tim can't see it for what it is he needs a slap in the face to shake off some of that ego. Psychonauts was a brilliant game and if they should make a sequal to anything it should be that.
Flibblebot 6th August 2010, 11:40 Quote
Well, if you want some humour from the same stable, there's always Ron Gilbert's Deathspank
Blademrk 6th August 2010, 16:29 Quote
Originally Posted by Flibblebot

Deathspank is awesome. Actually, I'm surprised that Joe hasn't reviewed it yet...