bit-gamer.net

Sony: PS3 is breaking even

Sony: PS3 is breaking even

Sony's Shuhei Yoshida has revealed that the company is finally breaking even on PS3 hardware.

Sony's worldwide studio boss, Shuhei Yoshida has revealed that the company is finally starting to break even on the PlayStation 3 and that changes in hardware costs mean that individual consoles are no longer being sold at a loss.

Sony has long since been speculated to be losing as much as $300 on each PlayStation 3 sold, with industry analysts suggesting that the console had only edged towards profitability in the last few months.

Speaking frankly to IGN, Yoshida confirmed as much and said that, while the PS3 hardware wasn't wildly profitable, it was now a bit more viable.

"This year is the first time that we are able to cover the cost of the PlayStation 3," said Yoshida. "We aren't making huge money from hardware, but we aren't bleeding like we used to."

The fact that the PS3 hardware was sold at a loss wasn't necessarily a huge problem; console makers traditionally make minimal return on consoles and see the largest profits from games and licensing fees. Still, Sony has had a tougher time of it than it may have been used to, financially.

Yoshida also said that Sony would not be issuing PS3 price cuts this year.

"When we bring the cost of hardware down, we are looking at opportunities to adjust prices if we believe that will increase demand At the moment, we are trying to catch up our production."

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

39 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
kenco_uk 30th June 2010, 12:54 Quote
Peripherals like the Move controller should help their coffers. £70 for a wand and controller. Do I see many people trading their Wii's in?
lacuna 30th June 2010, 14:09 Quote
My parents haven't bought a single game for their PS3, and to be honest I haven't bought any new games for mine. Well, I can only thank Sony for letting us such an excellent bit of kit for less than it cost them make it
mastorofpuppetz 30th June 2010, 14:20 Quote
Thats nice, but the Ps3 moved more software (AKA GAMES), then any other console in 2010.

http://www.playstationuniversity.com/ps3-software-sales-outstrip-xbox-360s-ps3-attach-rate-up-to-8-1-3807/
NuTech 30th June 2010, 14:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Thats nice, but the Ps3 moved more software (AKA GAMES), then any other console in 2010.

http://www.playstationuniversity.com/ps3-software-sales-outstrip-xbox-360s-ps3-attach-rate-up-to-8-1-3807/
Are you choosing to ignore the Wii?
mastorofpuppetz 30th June 2010, 14:37 Quote
The wii is a totalyl different market, and yes, I am ignoring the crap that is wii. Crap sells it seems.
mastorofpuppetz 30th June 2010, 14:41 Quote
Also, the WII has the lowest attach rate, it has nearly twice as many consoles but the lowest attach rate, perhaps due to the shovelware on that system.
steveo_mcg 30th June 2010, 14:41 Quote
Caution Fanboy....
NuTech 30th June 2010, 14:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
The wii is a totalyl different market, and yes, I am ignoring the crap that is wii. Crap sells it seems.
Regardless of your dribble opinion, the Wii is still a console - so no, the PS3 did not sell the most software 2009.

Also, I'd put the lower attach rate down to the general type of consumer the Wii is marketed to. They're casual, they don't buy a lot of games.
mjm25 30th June 2010, 14:52 Quote
I thought Bit-Tech was immune to the level of fanboyism shown above!
mastorofpuppetz 30th June 2010, 14:58 Quote
The wii has the lowest attach rate fact, nothing else matters. And yes, it is due to the demographic (Soccer moms, kids) and a lack of games worth buying.
mastorofpuppetz 30th June 2010, 14:59 Quote
Stating facts makes the trolls come out and call someone a fanboy? Seriously, you come here and post fanboy? Please prove that the wii does not have the lowest attach rate? Thats what i thought. Only fanboys say fanboy, seriously lame.
Bauul 30th June 2010, 15:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Only fanboys say fanboy, seriously lame.

Number of mentions of "fanboy" in Mastorofpuppetz last post = four. Quadruple sized fanboy?
mastorofpuppetz 30th June 2010, 15:13 Quote
In response, i never used up the old " He stated facts" so ill call him a fanboy troll tactic. Good job though. Context, look it up.
steveo_mcg 30th June 2010, 15:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
The wii is a totalyl different market, and yes, I am ignoring the crap that is wii. Crap sells it seems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Also, the WII has the lowest attach rate, it has nearly twice as many consoles but the lowest attach rate, perhaps due to the shovelware on that system.

Yup those are so totally facts.... You don't happen to write for the daily wail do you? You seem to have the same dictionary.
El Rando 30th June 2010, 17:51 Quote
I like turtles!!
stuartpb 30th June 2010, 17:58 Quote
My 10yr old daughter is starting to show an interest in gaming. We have a Wii in the lounge, and she has her PC, DS and iPod, on which she plays some games. The PC isn't much cop for her, as most of the young kids games are of the educational variety, and she has loads of these. I am seriously considering buying her a console now though for pure gaming fun, but am really out of touch when it comes to consoles. Would the PS3 be a good platform for a 10yr noob gamer? Are there plenty of games for that age group?
Jux_Zeil 30th June 2010, 18:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartpb
My 10yr old daughter is starting to show an interest in gaming. We have a Wii in the lounge, and she has her PC, DS and iPod, on which she plays some games. The PC isn't much cop for her, as most of the young kids games are of the educational variety, and she has loads of these. I am seriously considering buying her a console now though for pure gaming fun, but am really out of touch when it comes to consoles. Would the PS3 be a good platform for a 10yr noob gamer? Are there plenty of games for that age group?

Not really suitable for a ten year old as the games are limited in that age bracket..................BUT!

It would mean you get some quallity plug and play gaming time on it quite often yes?

;)
CardJoe 30th June 2010, 18:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Only fanboys say fanboy, seriously lame.

Number of mentions of "fanboy" in Mastorofpuppetz last post = four. Quadruple sized fanboy?

Fanman?
The_Beast 30th June 2010, 18:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rando
I like turtles!!


I also like turtles
Sloth 30th June 2010, 19:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Also, the WII has the lowest attach rate, it has nearly twice as many consoles but the lowest attach rate, perhaps due to the shovelware on that system.
I hate to break it to you, but by claiming that the Wii has the lowest attach rate of all consoles you are admitting that it indeed a console worthy of being compared to the PS3. Therefore, you must also admit that according to your link the PS3 did not move the most software in 2010.

Now, you're perfectly entitled to have your own opinion on which statistic is more important but please, don't try to tell us the Wii is not a console then turn around and say that it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast
I also like turtles
Turtles are indeed grand and majestic creatures. Like sloths of the sea.
The_Beast 30th June 2010, 20:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth
Turtles are indeed grand and majestic creatures. Like sloths of the sea.


That made me laugh out loud, not a fake LOL you get on most forums.


many reps given
wafflesomd 30th June 2010, 20:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
The wii is a totalyl different market, and yes, I am ignoring the crap that is wii. Crap sells it seems.

Way to completely discredit yourself there.
Edge102030 30th June 2010, 22:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
The wii has the lowest attach rate fact, nothing else matters. And yes, it is due to the demographic (Soccer moms, kids) and a lack of games worth buying.

Implying you aren't a kid.
javaman 30th June 2010, 23:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
(Soccer moms, kids)

One question........WTF is Soccer?

Out of all the consoles Wii is the one I play the most (still very little tho). I got Killzone 2 and GTA4 with the PS3 and played them for no more than 3hours each. Later picked up Dirt2 and Little big plannet but can't really be annoyed playing them after the first race/level in each. I havent touched the PS3 since march and my brother hasnt touched it in a month since he sends more time on facebook! The wii on the other hand has mario kart, wii sports resort and wii fit all of which I play far more often since my parents are happy to join in as is my GF. All my other gaming for me is done on PC. I can't get into PS3/360 since all games are released on PC. All exclusives like killzone2 are just painful to play with a controller which ruins the experience. The wii on the other hand allows my mum, aunt, young cousins all to play together and even beat me.
mastorofpuppetz 1st July 2010, 03:27 Quote
The wii is crap, the only people discrediting themselves are the ones saying it isn;t. Its a piece of shovelware crap.
steveo_mcg 1st July 2010, 10:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Histerical wingeing of a fan boy....

uz1_l0v3r 1st July 2010, 16:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartpb
My 10yr old daughter is starting to show an interest in gaming. We have a Wii in the lounge, and she has her PC, DS and iPod, on which she plays some games. The PC isn't much cop for her, as most of the young kids games are of the educational variety, and she has loads of these. I am seriously considering buying her a console now though for pure gaming fun, but am really out of touch when it comes to consoles. Would the PS3 be a good platform for a 10yr noob gamer? Are there plenty of games for that age group?

There are loads of games on the pc suitable for kids. Don't just look at the latest games, there's a whole library of games from yesteryear. I think point and click games like Broken Sword would suit a ten year old.
BlackRaven 1st July 2010, 16:47 Quote
It is nice to see Sony breaking even on the hw side. I still do not own one of these and will not be getting one as the PC is a better platform for the kinds of games I would be playing. I do have a Wii... it is a console. mastorofpuppetz get your self a proper gaming rig and stop that posting fanboy comments. Cheers.
stuartpb 1st July 2010, 17:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by uz1_l0v3r
There are loads of games on the pc suitable for kids. Don't just look at the latest games, there's a whole library of games from yesteryear. I think point and click games like Broken Sword would suit a ten year old.

Yeah, I never thought of utilising older titles for her, thanks.:o I have a load of classics for dosbox, and these would probably be a very good way for her to get some gaming fun in.
rollo 1st July 2010, 22:28 Quote
raid steam during summer sales theres loads of kids games
talladega 2nd July 2010, 03:55 Quote
i thought we were getting battletoads for ps3... :(
shoxicwaste 2nd July 2010, 11:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul
Number of mentions of "fanboy" in Mastorofpuppetz last post = four. Quadruple sized fanboy?

LOL
mastorofpuppetz 2nd July 2010, 19:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven
It is nice to see Sony breaking even on the hw side. I still do not own one of these and will not be getting one as the PC is a better platform for the kinds of games I would be playing. I do have a Wii... it is a console. mastorofpuppetz get your self a proper gaming rig and stop that posting fanboy comments. Cheers.

Ignorance st its finest, I am willing to bet my quad core beast kicks yours in the nads. Who said I never had a gaming rig? I am a PC gamer first and foremost, but continue with the arrogant ignorance.
mastorofpuppetz 2nd July 2010, 19:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg

Pot? Black? Truth hurts.
stuartpb 2nd July 2010, 19:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
I am willing to bet my quad core beast kicks yours in the nads. Who said I never had a gaming rig?

That has to be the worst case of childish willy shaking I have ever seen yet on BT. Congrats Puppet, you are that numpty!!:D:D
Sloth 2nd July 2010, 19:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Ignorance st its finest, I am willing to bet my quad core beast kicks yours in the nads. Who said I never had a gaming rig? I am a PC gamer first and foremost, but continue with the arrogant ignorance.
But what if someone here has a Phenom II X6? Their 1055T obviously stomps all over you, it has six cores. Your quad core beast is outmatched!

Though mastor, you've got me confused now. It's understood that you don't like the Wii, got it. But just what are you trying to accomplish? You were promoting the PS3's sales earlier, but now you're saying you're a PC gamer first and foremost. It seems a little contradictory for a PC gamer to so vehemently slander any one console for being too casual and shovelware worthy when, compared to a PC, all consoles are inherently casual.

Really, a Wii is a PC gamer's dream. It's too underpowered to run any sort of cross-platform games developed PC side first, its controls are too proprietary to allow for cross-platform games developed Wii-side first to ever reach PC, and keeps all the cheap workout and learning games off the PC.
steveo_mcg 2nd July 2010, 21:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Pot? Black? Truth hurts.

If you would be so kind as to show me any kind of favouritism in any of my posts as would indicate fanboyism on anything like the scale of idiocy your earlier and in fact your more recent post demonstrate i'll eat my linux box.....
Noob4ever 5th July 2010, 00:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Ignorance st its finest, I am willing to bet my quad core beast kicks yours in the nads. Who said I never had a gaming rig? I am a PC gamer first and foremost, but continue with the arrogant ignorance.

You should stop now, your not going to hit gold if you keep digging that hole deeper, your just going to look more and more like a fanboy, you started out with your first post on this thread by flaming, you havent changed your tactic in subsequent posts, so just stop, we dont want to read anymore of the bile your spewing atm.

especially since it doesnt make sense
Stewb 5th July 2010, 01:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4ever
You should stop now, your not going to hit gold if you keep digging that hole deeper, your just going to look more and more like a fanboy, you started out with your first post on this thread by flaming, you havent changed your tactic in subsequent posts, so just stop, we dont want to read anymore of the bile your spewing atm.

especially since it doesnt make sense

Oh no, please don't say that. Its making really fun reading :D
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums