bit-gamer.net

EA Sports to charge for multiplayer

EA Sports to charge for multiplayer

EA is to start charging pre-owned gamers for access to multiplayer in some EA Sports titles.

Electronic Arts has announced that it will begin charging pre-owned users for access to the multiplayer portions of some games as part of the next stage of Project Ten Dollar.

Put simply, if you buy the game new then you'll have full access to the content and will not have to pay for multiplayer - but if you buy a pre-owned or second hand copy then you will have to pay $10 USD to play online.

This new step in Project Ten Dollar only affects some EA Sports titles at the moment and the feature is being called 'Online Pass'. The first game to make use of it will be Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11, though EA says all Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of their EA Sports games will use it after that.

Customers who buy the game new will get a code with the game that they register to an account. Second hand customers will have to pay $10 USD to get a new code, though a seven day free multiplayer trial will be offered to all second hand users. Pirates will supposedly be blocked completely.

EA's Project Ten Dollar also blocks pre-owned users from accessing some free DLC and extra content, as has been the case with Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. Buy those games new and you'll get some free extras, such as the Zaeed character on Mass Effect 2's Cerberus Network. Pre-owned gamers can still play and finish the game, but they do so without that content.

EA’s intention to lead the industry’s move toward digital has been well documented," said EA's Peter Moore on his blog. "As we think about our commitment to creating value for consumers through digital services at EA Sports specifically, we’ve launched a number of new online features and products that are transforming the sports gaming experience."

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

58 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Unknownsock 11th May 2010, 10:56 Quote
I can see several stores going bankrupt in the UK if this gets any worse.
Glix 11th May 2010, 11:02 Quote
And there we have it, 2nd hand Console games killed off just like the 2nd hand PC games market.
GiantStickMan 11th May 2010, 11:08 Quote
I get that the second hand market is cutting into their profit margins, but stating that this measure is part of an anti-piracy scheme is basically saying that anyone who buys a second hand game is pirating in their eyes. At least that's how it reads to me.
yakyb 11th May 2010, 11:13 Quote
I think this is a good thing the reason i don't buy second hand is that i know someone will have registered the key to their email at some point therefore restricting multiplayer.
msm722 11th May 2010, 11:17 Quote
So now people can pirate the game and pay $10 to get full online access? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Most people who want the online access will buy the full game, but now they don't have to.
NuTech 11th May 2010, 11:31 Quote
After the 'success' of Project Ten Dollar, I suppose this is the logical next step. At least they've seen the sense to tie your online key to your Gamertag and not your console.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
(...)but if you buy a pre-owned or second hand copy (or pirate it) then you will have to pay $10 USD to play online.
Wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm722
So now people can pirate the game and pay $10 to get full online access?
No.

You can't play pirated Xbox games online (even trying to connect to Live perma-bans your console) and the PS3 doesn't have pirated games. With regards to PC games, I assume this scheme doesn't relate as there isn't a second-hand market due to cd-keys.

I have no idea why Joe states in the article this is "...the publisher's new anti-piracy system". It's quite obvious this (and Project Ten Dollar) is all about destroying the pre-owned and rental market, nothing else. You can't play multi-player with most pirated games anyway and no amount of free DLC will change the mind of a potential pirate (especially when they can also pirate said DLC).

EDIT: Judging by the replies below mine, it looks like the article is spawning a lot of mis-information.
Matticus 11th May 2010, 11:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm722
So now people can pirate the game and pay $10 to get full online access? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Most people who want the online access will buy the full game, but now they don't have to.

Yeah it seems like there has to be more to it than this. It seems like there would be no point buying, just pirate and pay a measly $10.

Would this "online pass" be valid only for that specific CD key(I assume console versions have some sort of unique ID) of that game, or just all versions of that game. So could you buy Tiger woods new, register your "online pass", then sell it and at a later date buy it used (or pirate it) and still be able to play it?

Edit: Didn't really think about pirated games on consoles, edited to reflect this. But I know a few people who have been using pirated 360 games for well over a year and have not been banned.
smc8788 11th May 2010, 11:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm722
So now people can pirate the game and pay $10 to get full online access? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Most people who want the online access will buy the full game, but now they don't have to.

The article says it will block pirates. So now, providing it works, pirates will have to pay $10 instead of nothing. But the main thing they want to do is to increase revenue from second-hand sales on the console market, where the second-hand market is much larger. Besides, saying that people who would normally buy the game will now just pirate it instead is ridiculous.

I don't really have a problem with this as long as they don't start charging monthly fees or additional costs with new games, but that's because I buy most of my games new anyway. If anything all I can see it doing is reducing the second-hand games market because there is less of a financial incentive to buy a used game over a new one.
MaverickWill 11th May 2010, 12:14 Quote
The way I'm looking at it, it'll drive down the cost of the second-hand market. Which means I can pick up second-hand games for a few quid less than they are now, and just play them with my friends, on my console. Online multiplayer's not a massive deal if I've got 4 controllers and buddies with beer. :D
ripmax 11th May 2010, 12:19 Quote
To be fair, most stores charge too much for used games. This should make them reduce their prices.
javaman 11th May 2010, 12:21 Quote
Not as bad as i thought tbh but still EA being greedy. Least all their sports games can be played with four people in the same room (only time i actually play their games) begging the question, Who actually gives a smeg?
sotu1 11th May 2010, 12:21 Quote
Smart business move by EA I think, not sure how it will hurt the retailers though. Depends how many people buy games specifically to play online, let's face it, it's pretty hard to find a reasonably priced copy of online-centric games like MW2/BFBC2 right now. Quality games like these don't get traded in as much, and often resell for close to the price of new.
sotu1 11th May 2010, 12:29 Quote
Just noticed this is the sports games only. Not a major deal then!
theflatworm 11th May 2010, 12:30 Quote
I'm really not sure that attempting to make the games market more disposable is an ethical strategy in this day and age. More waste for landfill, anyone?
gavomatic57 11th May 2010, 12:43 Quote
If it drives down the cost of 2nd hand games, it could be a good thing for me - I rarely play multiplayer anyway - my connection speed is way too slow before 1am to even try.
mastorofpuppetz 11th May 2010, 12:46 Quote
second hand games are outrageously priced as it is, Ebgames charges near the same as the new ones, and people buy them all the time, makes no sense.
rollo 11th May 2010, 12:47 Quote
I think it will affect all ea games eventually

the cost to get online kinda kills the Market for second hand games.
UrbanMarine 11th May 2010, 13:33 Quote
What about rentals? I use gamefly to rent games before I buy them.
Krazeh 11th May 2010, 13:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTech
You can't play pirated Xbox games online (even trying to connect to Live perma-bans your console) and the PS3 doesn't have pirated games. With regards to PC games, I assume this scheme doesn't relate as there isn't a second-hand market due to cd-keys.

I have no idea why Joe states in the article this is "...the publisher's new anti-piracy system". It's quite obvious this (and Project Ten Dollar) is all about destroying the pre-owned and rental market, nothing else. You can't play multi-player with most pirated games anyway and no amount of free DLC will change the mind of a potential pirate (especially when they can also pirate said DLC).

EDIT: Judging by the replies below mine, it looks like the article is spawning a lot of mis-information.

You can play pirated xbox360 games online perfectly well, there's nothing that currently stops you playing multiplayer and connecting to Live doesn't perma-ban your console. What does perma-ban your console is MS detecting you've modified your dvd drives firmware and then including you in one of their ban waves. But that requires that they first detect the change to your firmware and even then you're still free to use Live until they actually get round to conducting a ban wave.
Marc5002 11th May 2010, 13:52 Quote
lol Poor NuTech who know nothing about Xbox 360 Hacking : I doesn't have one buy 26 friend of mine does and they play game before the game even sales and aren't even banned But if Microsoft Detect they received an Xbox 360 Achievement Before the Release Date of the Actual game they will ban you

or if they detect ur Firmware as said Krazeh while a ps3 is not hackable that just cause it too darn expensive to buy a Blue-ray Writer & Blue-ray else then that i haven't heard of ps3 pirated game but it sure someone probabely did it :

But I remember an Artcile saying people are able to Burn Blue-ray movie and remove the Ads ect. but very expensive and unlikely done by the major population compare to DVD who are still P2P 24/24 7/7
Phalanx 11th May 2010, 13:55 Quote
Have to say I'm steadily leaning more and more away from EA now with any kind of game with their name on it. It's a shame. I hope it doesn't catch on. So far other companies have ignored their ideas.
DragunovHUN 11th May 2010, 13:59 Quote
I didn't think i'd say this about anything EA does but this seems fair enough. Same with the Cerberus network.
Bloodburgers 11th May 2010, 14:00 Quote
Just as well i havent had an invoice from renault for my product callback on my 2nd hand car. Where will all this end? soon you will have dvd's etc that will allow to watch on only one machine and the like.
NuTech 11th May 2010, 14:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazeh
You can play pirated xbox360 games online perfectly well, there's nothing that currently stops you playing multiplayer and connecting to Live doesn't perma-ban your console. What does perma-ban your console is MS detecting you've modified your dvd drives firmware and then including you in one of their ban waves. But that requires that they first detect the change to your firmware and even then you're still free to use Live until they actually get round to conducting a ban wave.
"Perfectly well" by your own definition is a major overstatement. As you said Microsoft detects modified dvd firmware in 'waves', so while you may get away with it for a short time, you will eventually find yourself banned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc5002
lol Poor NuTech who know nothing about Xbox 360 Hacking : I doesn't have one buy 26 friend of mine does and they play game before the game even sales and aren't even banned But if Microsoft Detect they received an Xbox 360 Achievement Before the Release Date of the Actual game they will ban you

or if they detect ur Firmware as said Krazeh while a ps3 is not hackable that just cause it too darn expensive to buy a Blue-ray Writer & Blue-ray else then that i haven't heard of ps3 pirated game but it sure someone probabely did it :

But I remember an Artcile saying people are able to Burn Blue-ray movie and remove the Ads ect. but very expensive and unlikely done by the major population compare to DVD who are still P2P 24/24 7/7
Try managing a legible sentence before you go criticizing others.
PureSilver 11th May 2010, 14:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTech
You can't play pirated Xbox games online (even trying to connect to Live perma-bans your console) and the PS3 doesn't have pirated games. With regards to PC games, I assume this scheme doesn't relate as there isn't a second-hand market due to cd-keys. [...] EDIT: Judging by the replies below mine, it looks like the article is spawning a lot of mis-information.

Er - a considerable amount of misinformation is contained in your very own post. Piracy is a huge problem on consoles simply due to the fact that there are so many more console users than PC gamers. For a slightly more in-depth analysis look at Wired's article on the topic. The PS3 is the only console that survives mostly untouched simply because a Blu-Ray writer is in excess of half the price of the console and the writeable discs are almost half the price of the game. Everything else - the Wii, the DS, the PSP and above all the Xbox - is cracked wide open for almost any sort of online or offline play. You can play pirated Xbox games online and many hundreds of thousands, if not millions, do.

This is still a blatant attempt to strong-arm console buyers, but it's nothing PC gamers haven't been held to for some years. If the opportunity to reregister Steam games for $10 arose, PC gamers would be overjoyed at the ability to sell on their games for any price they like and pay only $10 for the new user to register them. As it is, it's just that console buyers have had it good for a lot longer than us.

[EDIT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTech
"Perfectly well" by your own definition is a major overstatement. As you said Microsoft detects modified dvd firmware in 'waves', so while you may get away with it for a short time, you will eventually find yourself banned.

The waves are infrequent - very infrequent, in fact, and are not very stringent. There are a number of other ways to crack an Xbox without letting Microsoft know you've fiddled with the DVD firmware. In addition, the ban can usually be circumvented; the fact is that console anti-piracy measures are simply nowhere near as sophisticated as even the crudest PC PunkBuster or VAC. "A short while" may therefore be extended pretty much indefinitely if the player exercises even a modicum of caution and sense; the reason so many users are caught out upon occasion is sheer stupidity. Things like gaining Live achievements before the game they're earned in is officially available, or playing online in games that haven't been released yet, leave the Xbox team with no option but to ban you. Even if you are 'banned', IP spoofing and other techniques can unblock your console; a quick Google will throw up any number of ways to avoid being noticed and ways to circumvent the consequences if you are.[/EDIT]
Krazeh 11th May 2010, 14:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTech
"Perfectly well" by your own definition is a major overstatement. As you said Microsoft detects modified dvd firmware in 'waves', so while you may get away with it for a short time, you will eventually find yourself banned.

You seem to over-estimate Microsoft's ability to detect modified dvd firmware, it took them several years to detect and ban people using the older iXtreme firmwares. There's no telling yet whether they'll be able to detect the new iXtreme LT firmware in any sort of short timescale, or if it'll again be a significant period of time before they come up with a way to do it.
smc8788 11th May 2010, 14:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazeh
You can play pirated xbox360 games online perfectly well, there's nothing that currently stops you playing multiplayer and connecting to Live doesn't perma-ban your console. What does perma-ban your console is MS detecting you've modified your dvd drives firmware and then including you in one of their ban waves. But that requires that they first detect the change to your firmware and even then you're still free to use Live until they actually get round to conducting a ban wave.

I think the point is that the amount of pirated games/hacked consoles as a % of total sales is much lower on the Xbox 360 than PC.
PureSilver 11th May 2010, 14:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788
I think the point is that the amount of pirated games/hacked consoles as a % of total sales is much lower on the Xbox 360 than PC.

That might well be true - does anyone have some up-to-the-minute comparison stats?
smc8788 11th May 2010, 14:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSilver
That might well be true - does anyone have some up-to-the-minute comparison stats?

Not that I'm aware of, and I'm fairly sure none exist. Even if they did though, like most piracy ststistics I doubt they'd be very accurate.
CharlO 11th May 2010, 14:28 Quote
Mmm At first i was like WTF? But then i saw it again, and is actually a good idea, as long as you can recover your password and log from different machines, this will be absolutely right.
PureSilver 11th May 2010, 14:30 Quote
Huh. Recent, but very basic article on the comparisons here.

What I find so bizarre is that I know only one PC gamer, but loads of Xbox and PS3 gamers. How come when it comes to piracy there's billions of the f***ers but when I want someone to play Shattered Horizon with there's nobody around, and everybody I know plays MW2 on Xbox and not PC?
The Infamous Mr D 11th May 2010, 14:48 Quote
Sucky sucky? Yup, only Ten Dollar.
NuTech 11th May 2010, 14:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSilver
Er - a considerable amount of misinformation is contained in your very own post. Piracy is a huge problem on consoles simply due to the fact that there are so many more console users than PC gamers. For a slightly more in-depth analysis look at Wired's article on the topic. The PS3 is the only console that survives mostly untouched simply because a Blu-Ray writer is in excess of half the price of the console and the writeable discs are almost half the price of the game. Everything else - the Wii, the DS, the PSP and above all the Xbox - is cracked wide open for almost any sort of online or offline play. You can play pirated Xbox games online and many hundreds of thousands, if not millions, do.

This is still a blatant attempt to strong-arm console buyers, but it's nothing PC gamers haven't been held to for some years. If the opportunity to reregister Steam games for $10 arose, PC gamers would be overjoyed at the ability to sell on their games for any price they like and pay only $10 for the new user to register them. As it is, it's just that console buyers have had it good for a lot longer than us.

[EDIT]



The waves are infrequent - very infrequent, in fact, and are not very stringent. There are a number of other ways to crack an Xbox without letting Microsoft know you've fiddled with the DVD firmware. In addition, the ban can usually be circumvented; the fact is that console anti-piracy measures are simply nowhere near as sophisticated as even the crudest PC PunkBuster or VAC. "A short while" may therefore be extended pretty much indefinitely if the player exercises even a modicum of caution and sense; the reason so many users are caught out upon occasion is sheer stupidity. Things like gaining Live achievements before the game they're earned in is officially available, or playing online in games that haven't been released yet, leave the Xbox team with no option but to ban you. Even if you are 'banned', IP spoofing and other techniques can unblock your console; a quick Google will throw up any number of ways to avoid being noticed and ways to circumvent the consequences if you are.[/EDIT]
While the lead time between banning may be up for debate, my point was this scheme doesn't relate to piracy but as usual with any video game related news, piracy is being dragged into it kicking and screaming.

As EA's scheme only involves PS3 and Xbox360 games, the consoles you listed are irrelevant in this discussion. Now seeing as piracy is non-existent on one console and in a small minority on the other, I'm all but certain that EA is intending to tackle the rental and second-hand market - both legal avenues that are proving very tricky to shut down.

Any comparisons to the PC is even further irrelevant as most publishers consider PC piracy to be a lost cause, fuelling continued rumours that some are about to pull out of PC gaming altogether (I'm looking at you Ubisoft).
FelixTech 11th May 2010, 14:55 Quote
Never mind killing off stores, this will reduce the number of private sales also. Now if you want to sell one of these games on ebay, you are guaranteed to get $10 less and that money is going straight to EA....

I think what puts people off Shattered Horizon is that everyone (included me until a few days) puts it on high like they would Crysis, and then does terribly due to getting about 20fps :S Works in single player, not in multiplayer.
M7ck 11th May 2010, 15:39 Quote
I think EA are quite right to do this, I dont think it is an anti piracy measure though, its a clever way for them to make money from the second hand market. If people want to bitch about paying the "ten dolla" then dont! Just dont complain when you cant get online. Console games suck donkey dik anyways, pc gaming rules.
CardJoe 11th May 2010, 15:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTech

I have no idea why Joe states in the article this is "...the publisher's new anti-piracy system". It's quite obvious this (and Project Ten Dollar) is all about destroying the pre-owned and rental market, nothing else. You can't play multi-player with most pirated games anyway and no amount of free DLC will change the mind of a potential pirate (especially when they can also pirate said DLC).

EDIT: Judging by the replies below mine, it looks like the article is spawning a lot of mis-information.

I've corrected those points in the article, but I can't help but feel it's a bit of pedantry. As you say, you can't play most pirated games online with consoles. Besides, I know people who've actually not pirated things just so they can get DLC. Even I went out and bought the limited edition of Mass Effect 2, rather than playing my review copy, just because I wanted to support the industry and get Zaeed.
NuTech 11th May 2010, 16:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
I've corrected those points in the article, but I can't help but feel it's a bit of pedantry. As you say, you can't play most pirated games online with consoles. Besides, I know people who've actually not pirated things just so they can get DLC. Even I went out and bought the limited edition of Mass Effect 2, rather than playing my review copy, just because I wanted to support the industry and get Zaeed.
You're probably right, it was overly pedantic on my part. However it was spurred in part due to the ongoing team effort within the gaming press to shoehorn piracy into every move the industry makes.

I'm not ignorant enough to think that any decision publishers make happens within a vacuum, however when the odd piracy unrelated story comes along, it would be nice to have it shouted from the rooftops. :D
javaman 11th May 2010, 16:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTech
Never mind killing off stores, this will reduce the number of private sales also. Now if you want to sell one of these games on ebay, you are guaranteed to get $10 less and that money is going straight to EA....

Stores are doing enough to kill themselves. When second hand games are about the same price as new games and everything is 50% cheaper online, I think they've outlived their usefulness.
Burnout21 11th May 2010, 17:00 Quote
fail, that's all i've got to say!
mrbens 11th May 2010, 17:24 Quote
Shame on EA. I never bother with multiplayer and buy all my games from Steam but am still sad to hear about the (potential) demise of second hand trading for those that it concerns as most people probably still buy games on disc. If you buy a game you should be able to use all it's features.

BTW BluRay burners are now around £130 and writable 25GB discs can be bought for under £2 so if PS3 piracy doesn't exist yet it probably will do soon...
smc8788 11th May 2010, 17:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbens
BTW BluRay burners are now around £130 and writable 25GB discs can be bought for under £2 so if PS3 piracy doesn't exist yet it probably will do soon...

The lack of piracy on the PS3 isn't down to the cost of Blu-Ray burners and discs...
Sloth 11th May 2010, 17:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788
The lack of piracy on the PS3 isn't down to the cost of Blu-Ray burners and discs...
IF I were to try pirating a PS3 game that would certainly stop me. It seems like a pretty fair reason. But out of curiosity, since I know little about console piracy techniques, what is the real reason for the lack of PS3 piracy?

Oh, and I don't think this is a half bad idea. Sounded like a bad idea at first that might start some evil greedy trend, but then remembered all the PC restrictions such as Steam which offer no resale at all and realized that it's actually pretty lax.

Also, not sure how they will stop pirated games from being able to purchase a new code as they said they will, but if a pirate works around it and still has to pay $10 that's better than nothing.
mrbens 11th May 2010, 17:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbens
BTW BluRay burners are now around £130 and writable 25GB discs can be bought for under £2 so if PS3 piracy doesn't exist yet it probably will do soon...

The lack of piracy on the PS3 isn't down to the cost of Blu-Ray burners and discs...

I've not looked into PS3 piracy, I was replying to the posts above about the high prices of burners and one person said a blank bluray costs half as much as a game!
smc8788 11th May 2010, 18:08 Quote
It's certainly a deterrent to potential pirates, but AFAIK the PS3 firmware hasn't been hacked yet to allow copied games to be played (though there were rumours of it being hacked not so long ago, I don't know whether they turned out to be true or not).
2bdetermine 11th May 2010, 18:42 Quote
I couldn't careless for any type of pro sport games.

Why would anyone wanted to pay for some pro sports figures had their picture flashing on the box/cover that is beyond me?
M7ck 11th May 2010, 19:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bdetermine


Why would anyone wanted to pay for some pro sports figures had their picture flashing on the box/cover that is beyond me?

Huh?
DXR_13KE 12th May 2010, 00:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788
It's certainly a deterrent to potential pirates, but AFAIK the PS3 firmware hasn't been hacked yet to allow copied games to be played (though there were rumours of it being hacked not so long ago, I don't know whether they turned out to be true or not).

It got hacked...
Faulk_Wulf 12th May 2010, 02:35 Quote
Why do you think a used game should be so much less new game? It's a disc. Unless it got a scratch and became unplayable (at which point I'd return it and demand a refund anyway) the game hasn't changed or diminished in anyway since purchased. At *most* you might lose the manual. Whoop-di-do.

I pay near full price for a used game as I would for a new version. If main stores have discounted the game to 25 because of age or whatever, I expect the use game to be similar, but all in all, I don't see why people feel obligated to their used game to be so much cheaper.
l3v1ck 12th May 2010, 02:36 Quote
If people can't get full use of the game 2nd hand, they'll pay less for it.
If people pay less for 2nd hand games, people who buy new will think twice about buying it in the first place as the cost is more once you allow for reduced resale value.
If people think twice about buying a new game, EA will have lower sales and less profit.
Blademrk 12th May 2010, 10:49 Quote
I'm wondering what Microsoft thinks of this, wasn't it policy for games to have 1000 achievement points* without needing to purchase anything extra (DLC wise) other than XBL (for online multiplayer obviously), so if these games contain online achievements (from the initial 1000) doesn't that break this policy?

tbh, I don't like this idea at all. The Mass Effect 2 method was great - the DLC didn't impact on the core gameplay (if you wanted the extra character/weapons/missions then great, if not it didn't matter), this does.


*I know some games have already broken this PGR3 only had 900 odd and Helboy had less than 1000 but was supposed to have free DLC that brought the total up to 1000 (which never turned up.)
bigsharn 12th May 2010, 15:43 Quote
I can see this blowing up in their face...
PureSilver 12th May 2010, 16:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE
It got hacked...

Yep, it got hacked. I'm impressed with the Enron-shares-esque collapse in Blu-Ray burner and disc prices (I don't own a Blu-Ray player, let alone a burner) so I'm pretty sure that sooner or later piracy will get a grip on the PS3. I don't think it'll ever be as bad as the Xbox - the PS3 is a more expensive console bought by wealthier people in my experience, as in, the sort of people who don't worry about paying for their games.
Sloth 12th May 2010, 18:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSilver
Yep, it got hacked. I'm impressed with the Enron-shares-esque collapse in Blu-Ray burner and disc prices (I don't own a Blu-Ray player, let alone a burner) so I'm pretty sure that sooner or later piracy will get a grip on the PS3. I don't think it'll ever be as bad as the Xbox - the PS3 is a more expensive console bought by wealthier people in my experience, as in, the sort of people who don't worry about paying for their games.
The prices have gotten pretty similar now, I recently bought my slim PS3 for $300, same price as the similarly equipped 360 Elite. But I think you are right. It'd be downright foolish to claim that each console doesn't have a certain personality and didn't bring certain baggage with its name. PS3, at least as I see it, was designed and marketed at a more 'serious' gamer. For people who enjoy quality media and gaming. This is supported by the smooth black design of the console which blends well with a home media center, the multi-media ready GUI and features, addition of Blu-ray and originally high price. If the PS3 were a person, I'd expect some asshole in a black turtleneck at a Porsche dealership. The 360, on the other hand, provides a more casual experience at its most basic level yet spans to fit just about every general gamer it can, right up to the more 'hardcore' side. It's displayed as a gaming device above all. This is supported by the casually named "Arcade" version countering the "Elite" version, along with the physical styling and color which says: I am rounded, fresh and fun, I play games. Looking at the 360, I see a young, chubby American boy who manages to represent both the "Yay NFL2k10!" casual side and the "1337 MW2 pnwz0r machine" hardcore side. Love or hate either one, it's really a personal choice on that level, but it would seem like the asshole at the Porsche dealership is more likely to scoff at piracy (and trust me, he's great at scoffing) and buy games just because he can.
mastorofpuppetz 13th May 2010, 15:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE
It got hacked...

Umm, no it didn't, it was Rumored to have been , then Sony look away linuX and that was it, still not one pirated game on Ps3.
Warrior24_7 13th May 2010, 20:14 Quote
Meh, once I beat a game I'm pretty much done with it. Besides EA charges original owners money for DLC anyway! All the stores have to do is lower the cost of the resold game and the market will continue to thrive.
Arj12 23rd May 2010, 12:11 Quote
It looks like everyone is trying to make more money nowadays! Bye bye the days of trading games when you were finished!
Krayzie_B.o.n.e. 21st June 2010, 22:27 Quote
Ha HA HA EA is stupid at best. just pirate the dam game and play multi player on a private server if you really got to have it that bad.

I really do think the publisher and second hand shop can come to a better deal than oh let's just stick it to the consumer. Most DLC isn't worth $10 bucks (after dropping $60) and $10 for second hand multi player, put it this way I sold my old Madden 2009 for the new Madden 2010 and most old versions take their servers offline
DarkOracle 22nd June 2010, 00:03 Quote
+1 Krayzie_B.o.n.e.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums