bit-gamer.net

Rumour: Xbox 360 Slim mobo images leaked

Rumour: Xbox 360 Slim mobo images leaked

These images are rumoured to be of a new, slimmer Xbox 360 SKU that Microsoft is yet to announce.

This is one we've still got filed as a rumour for now, but images have appeared which are said to be the motherboard of a new, slimmer Xbox 360 model.

Microsoft hasn't yet announced a new Xbox 360 SKU, but rumours of a new 'Valhalla' model have long been circulating, Joystiq reports.

The rumours are strengthened by Microsoft's tentative steps towards new form factors, as hinted by Steve Ballmer, and recent job adverts.

The images come from a Chinese tech forum which says these new motherboard designs are for the rumoured Valhalla project.

If true, the new Xbox 360 would be getting a massive size reduction. Other changes would be a consolidated CPU/GPU, an extra SATA port and a much smaller heatsink.

Microsoft has yet to comment on the images, which we've included below, but you can tell us your thoughts in the forums.

Rumour: Xbox 360 Slim mobo images leaked

Rumour: Xbox 360 Slim mobo images leaked

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

36 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
V3ctor 18th March 2010, 12:57 Quote
Much smaller, maybe now the RROD stops... And finally I'll buy one...
benjamyn 18th March 2010, 13:00 Quote
http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/03/17/xbox-360-slim-rumours-untrue/
Quote:

Yet a member on the infamous NeoGAF forums has quickly shot down such rumours by pointing out that the board, which features a chipset codenamed Clarkdale, has absolutely nothing to do with the console. In a post he states, “Clarkdale is a PC processor combining a dual-core Nehalem derivative with Intel integrated graphics. It has absolutely f*ck all to do with the 360.”
So, whether a Xbox 360 Slim is truly in the works remains uncertain but now all eyes will be on Microsoft’s Keynote this year at E3. Releasing a new SKU alongside Project Natal would seem a sensible move, seeing the success that Sony’s PlayStation 3 Slim received last year, but only time will tell.
BlackMage23 18th March 2010, 13:01 Quote
Makes sense. Sony have done this with all their consoles. This should also drop the price on the xbox.

Hope they also introduce the option to use standard HDD's like the PS3, rather then having to buy the grossly over priced xbox HDD.
BentAnat 18th March 2010, 13:04 Quote
Colour me sceptical as well...
There's no GPU in the picture. The little open thing is NOT the X360's GPU, and it's got no cooler mounting holes. The current '360 GPU generates a boatload of heat and NEEDS a cooler.
Way too many motherboard headers as well...

All those could, of course be written off to "engineering sample", i suppose... but I shall remain sceptical.
human_error 18th March 2010, 13:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamyn
http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/03/17/xbox-360-slim-rumours-untrue/
Quote:

Yet a member on the infamous NeoGAF forums has quickly shot down such rumours by pointing out that the board, which features a chipset codenamed Clarkdale, has absolutely nothing to do with the console. In a post he states, “Clarkdale is a PC processor combining a dual-core Nehalem derivative with Intel integrated graphics. It has absolutely f*ck all to do with the 360.”
So, whether a Xbox 360 Slim is truly in the works remains uncertain but now all eyes will be on Microsoft’s Keynote this year at E3. Releasing a new SKU alongside Project Natal would seem a sensible move, seeing the success that Sony’s PlayStation 3 Slim received last year, but only time will tell.

Well the pics above are not of a standard clarkdale as the IHS is not a 1156 socket cpu's IHS, plus the small chip to the left of the heatsink/fan on the top picture clearly has microsoft xbox360 branding printed on it. I wouldn't be suprised if microsoft did a revision of the 360 - it would bundle well with natal and would get people replacing some of the original systems (like me, who is interested in replacing my original, but can't justify the cost for a hdmi port and a bigger hard drive - a smaller form factor may swing it for me though).
GravitySmacked 18th March 2010, 13:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMage23


Hope they also introduce the option to use standard HDD's like the PS3, rather then having to buy the grossly over priced xbox HDD.

I doubt it.
gavomatic57 18th March 2010, 13:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3ctor
Much smaller, maybe now the RROD stops... And finally I'll buy one...

Maybe they're trying to save money on UPS collections by making it slim enough to post back to MS in an A4 envelope!? ;)
Gunsmith 18th March 2010, 13:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavomatic57
Maybe they're trying to save money on UPS collections by making it slim enough to post back to MS in an A4 envelope!? ;)

LMFAO
[PUNK] crompers 18th March 2010, 13:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMage23
Hope they also introduce the option to use standard HDD's like the PS3, rather then having to buy the grossly over priced xbox HDD.

keep dreaming mate, MS will take any opportunity to sell you an overpriced peripheral
Unknownsock 18th March 2010, 13:14 Quote
Wait, there having problems currently with the standard size.
Now there gonna put it in a smaller case with less cooling?

I think we have a overpriced heater now.
liratheal 18th March 2010, 13:20 Quote
About the only 360 looking parts on that board are the, presumably, power connector on the top right of the first image, and the two flat USB ports on the front.

I'm calling BS on THAT being anything to do with a 360 for reasons mentioned in my post and others - Namely the lack of a GPU - but I'm not so willing to shun the idea that there could be a slimmer 360 in the works.
kenco_uk 18th March 2010, 13:28 Quote
Maybe they're using Cell processors to emulate a 360?
borandi 18th March 2010, 13:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentant

There's no GPU in the picture. The little open thing is NOT the X360's GPU, and it's got no cooler mounting holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
About the only 360 looking parts on that board are the, presumably, power connector on the top right of the first image, and the two flat USB ports on the front.

I'm calling BS on THAT being anything to do with a 360 for reasons mentioned in my post and others - Namely the lack of a GPU - but I'm not so willing to shun the idea that there could be a slimmer 360 in the works.

Read the article?
Quote:
Other changes would be a consolidated CPU/GPU

i.e. on the same chip.
Jamie 18th March 2010, 14:06 Quote
They need to concentrate on a silent running system as well as the size.
NuTech 18th March 2010, 14:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
They need to concentrate on a silent running system as well as the size.
Isn't the current loudest noise source the DVD drive? From what I understand that thing spins ridiculously fast in order to have decent load times.

Just give me a larger, quieter, cooler Xbox 360 with a huge capacity 3.5" HDD and no external power brick. Basically a HD version of the original Xbox.
BentAnat 18th March 2010, 14:35 Quote
I still fail to see that.
While, like Liratheal, I am entertaining the idea of a smaller X360, consolidating the CPU/GPU into one thing would mean a pretty major platform change... i don't see that happening, judging by the lifecycle that the 360 is in.
Aracos 18th March 2010, 14:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
They need to concentrate on a silent running system as well as the size.
Isn't the current loudest noise source the DVD drive? From what I understand that thing spins ridiculously fast in order to have decent load times.

Just give me a larger, quieter, cooler Xbox 360 with a huge capacity 3.5" HDD and no external power brick. Basically a HD version of the original Xbox.

To a certain extent you're correct but as soon as you have a hard drive you can install EVERY game on the xbox to the hard drive leaving the disc drive no longer spinning. The fans aren't loud but they have an annoying pitch which gets right on my tits, it's a more annoying pitch than even my GPU T_T
dyzophoria 18th March 2010, 15:08 Quote
would be a nice upgrade for my xbox (and its the original release version, luckily, I didnt have RROD issues from that start, chosen few I guess)
GiantStickMan 18th March 2010, 15:25 Quote
If this turns out to be true, I wouldn't be in a rush to buy one. Considering all the issues with the first gen X360's (RROD anyone?) buying a brand new completely revised 360 could just be inviting more problems. Once bitten, twice shy.
NuTech 18th March 2010, 15:56 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm20200
To a certain extent you're correct but as soon as you have a hard drive you can install EVERY game on the xbox to the hard drive leaving the disc drive no longer spinning. The fans aren't loud but they have an annoying pitch which gets right on my tits, it's a more annoying pitch than even my GPU T_T
And I would of known that had Microsoft given me a HDD with enough space to install my games on (god damn launch 360).
Blademrk 18th March 2010, 16:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
[b]About the only 360 looking parts on that board are the, presumably, power connector on the top right of the first image, and the two flat USB ports on the front[b].

I'm calling BS on THAT being anything to do with a 360

You mean the only 360 looking parts, apart from the chip which has "Microsoft Xbox 360" printed on it?
deruberhanyok 18th March 2010, 17:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentAnat
I still fail to see that.
While, like Liratheal, I am entertaining the idea of a smaller X360, consolidating the CPU/GPU into one thing would mean a pretty major platform change... i don't see that happening, judging by the lifecycle that the 360 is in.

Not really. Integrating them onto the same package - not within the same die - is something Intel has already done with its current generation of Core processors (that may be why Clarkdale was referenced above). AMD is looking to do the same as well. Also, if memory serves, doing exactly that is what allowed Sony to make the PS2 slim - by putting the GS and EE onto the same package.

The 360's CPU and GPU have been through several manufacturing process revisions already; ~4 years into its lifecycle (or is it 5 now?) it seems to me to be very likely that they can do this without much of a headache.

If the dies have been shrunk to a smaller manufacturing process - say, 45nm - they could be placed on the same package, while consuming less power than the two parts currently. It isn't a "platform change", it's just that where once they needed to put two parts on a motherboard they can now put one.

Whether it will actually happen is anyone's guess. But I don't doubt for a minute that they can do it if they want to do it.
liratheal 18th March 2010, 18:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by borandi
Read the article?

i.e. on the same chip.

The amount of effort that would need to go into a change like that would have been hinted at long before now. Job postings, changes in part orders, people notice and leak - I've not heard/read/seen anything along those lines until this board cropped up.

Like I say, I don't think MS wouldn't entertain the idea of a "slim" 360, but I do doubt that that image is actually a test sample.

Though, for the sake of argument:

For those of you saying there are too many headers - Looking more carefully, they look a lot like test points. If you're familiar with the existing Xbox 360 motherboard, you'll be aware of a number of test points existing without headers.

Rather unsubtly borrowed image:

http://i.imgur.com/iIpqL.jpg

Red circled items are test points - Most even have a silkscreening for the correct orientation of the actual header. So it is plausible that this is a test sample, with the test headers on for, well, logging and testing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademrk
You mean the only 360 looking parts, apart from the chip which has "Microsoft Xbox 360" printed on it?

Haha, I hadn't spotted that at first!
Sethva 18th March 2010, 19:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTech
Isn't the current loudest noise source the DVD drive? From what I understand that thing spins ridiculously fast in order to have decent load times.

Just give me a larger, quieter, cooler Xbox 360 with a huge capacity 3.5" HDD and no external power brick. Basically a HD version of the original Xbox.


I'm curious, why don't all the console makers make a switch to SD cards? (excluding Blu-ray) SDXC has the capacity...not sure bout the speed, but regular SD's have enough. And it's not like the Nintendo Wii is using that dvd-drive for anything else but games (originally). /offtopic
fev 18th March 2010, 19:40 Quote
No no no no no.. not real

Kthnxbye
gavomatic57 18th March 2010, 20:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
They need to concentrate on a silent running system as well as the size.

Silent, reliable, not resembling something from the Early Learning Centre, generic hard drives and some games that aren't better on the PC...that would be a start.

But if you already have a 360, unless they are going to be issuing them as replacement for the inevitable RROD or E74 error, what is the point?
talladega 18th March 2010, 21:06 Quote
I think they first need to get rid of their retarded power brick and outrageous amount of heat.
NuTech 18th March 2010, 21:15 Quote
This has just gotten a lot more likely. Word is out that the 360 is soon getting USB storage support for actual game data (not just media) which could give credence to a smaller Xbox that has no detachable HDD.
GravitySmacked 18th March 2010, 22:06 Quote
Yeah I've read that too and it would be a bloody brilliant; fingers crossed.
BentAnat 19th March 2010, 06:55 Quote
hm. Didn't see the XBox 360 markings either.
Lir - you're right - they could be test points.

The ports don't seem to match up, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
HourBeforeDawn 19th March 2010, 07:04 Quote
lol sometimes I really wonder if these are "leaked" photos, or marketing teams working on building the hype up.
DarkLord7854 19th March 2010, 07:36 Quote
I just want an XboX that lets me hookup my own HD without needing to hack it.. :(
bulldogjeff 20th March 2010, 17:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7854
I just want an XboX that lets me hookup my own HD without needing to hack it.. :(

I know where your comming from with that 1 m8. Is that a decent looking fan in the aswell, with a bit of luck it wont sound like the space shuttle trying to break out of earths orbit anymore
Veles 20th March 2010, 17:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7854
I just want an XboX that lets me hookup my own HD without needing to hack it.. :(

I know where your comming from with that 1 m8. Is that a decent looking fan in the aswell, with a bit of luck it wont sound like the space shuttle trying to break out of earths orbit anymore

That's the DVD drive that makes all the noise, if you rip a game to the HDD it's not too noisy.

HS might be smaller on this but at least it actually has a fan on it this time. I think the main problem with the original is that the HS fan is actually the case fans with a air scoopy thing over the HS
drjaydee 29th April 2010, 15:51 Quote
its a possibility, the 360 does need a revamp. it's remained mostly unchanged in 4 years, especially in terms of form. fingers crossed though :)
acsnet83 29th April 2010, 18:02 Quote
Hope this does get released, gonna treat myself when I get back from tour, had an elite but got fed up of the whirl wind noise and rrod's boo
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums