Bioware: "Mass Effect not coming to PS3"

Bioware: "Mass Effect not coming to PS3"

Bioware has confirmed that the Mass Effect series is a PC and Xbox 360 exclusive, with new free DLC coming soon.

Bioware has addressed rumours that a PlayStation 3 version of Mass Effect 2 may be in the works, confirming that the series is intended to be a PC and Xbox 360 exclusive and that no PlayStation 3 release is planned.

The rumours first started to do the rounds after fans took a look at some of the engine files on the PC version of the game and found numerous references to a PS3 release.

According to Bioware's Chris Priestly though it's all just a big misunderstanding caused by the cross-platform support allowed for by the Unreal 3 engine which powers Mass Effect 2.

"The Unreal Engine is cross platform, hence the PS3 code," he said on the official forums (via Joystiq). "This was brought up back in Mass Effect 1 days as well."

Bioware also recently confirmed that some more free downloadable content would be available for the game soon through the Cerberus Network. A recent update to the Bioware twitter feed says that more free in-game content will be available via the Cerberus Network within a few weeks.

The Cerberus Network is, as well as a means to accessing DLC, part of Bioware's new anti-piracy plan. Access to the network comes free with a new version of the game thanks to a single-use code, which means that second hand customers and pirates will have to buy access, which costs 1200 MS points (about £10), or cope without the extra content.

Let us know your thoughts on the game in the forums, and check out our Mass Effect 2 PC review for more information.

More on Bit-Tech

Bioware: "Mass Effect not coming to PS3" Bioware: "Mass Effect not coming to PS3" Bioware: "Mass Effect not coming to PS3"

SwiftDestiny101 4th February 2010, 14:24 Quote
hawhawhaw

Finally news of a game staying where it belongs. Dont worry though the PS3 users will have the 12 year old fest of Uncharted 2 :P
SNIPERMikeUK 4th February 2010, 14:37 Quote
Well I don't care, I got this on PC and have a PS3 for other uses, at least microsoft did not piss away 50million like they did on GTA add-on's that are coming to PS3, I hate all this exclusivity anyway....
Veles 4th February 2010, 14:53 Quote
Woo more free DLC FTW
scawp 4th February 2010, 16:19 Quote
Even if it did come out on the ps3 i wouldn't be buying it, Yawn-o-rama city, population - this game
greigaitken 4th February 2010, 16:34 Quote
would too many gamers winge if you had to connect online to apply your characters progress like tf2 where your hats and weapons are stored on server? that way pirates lose even more and it's pretty invisible to the user, unless server is down :(
Bursar 4th February 2010, 16:40 Quote
Yeah, I would.

TF2 is a multiplayer game, so I have no problems with stuff being stored on the server, as I need to connect to it in order to play. ME2 is a single player game, and I shouldn't be required to connect to servers in order save progress. What if I want to take my laptop with me on a trip and can't connect to the net whilst I'm away?

Back on topic though, this is good news :)
bahgger 4th February 2010, 17:46 Quote
And this is how to stop piracy. Goddamn idiots with SecuROM need to learn.

Constant updates is where its at!
banshee256 4th February 2010, 18:03 Quote
Mass Effect went from having a draconian anti-piracy scheme to having one of the most sensible I've seen so far, if you don't count not having any at all. Which is 1) surprising, given the reputation of the company distributing the game and 2) very nice for those that have actually paid to play this game. I just hope that most of the DLC stay free, as a 'thank you for not pirating our game' instead of 'you have to pay for those who pirate our games.'
Eggy 4th February 2010, 22:34 Quote
If you don't have a good PC or Xbox you aren't really missing out on much. ME2 isn't that great, a pretty looking TPS like so many others. It doesn't hold a candle to Dragon's Age.
AiA 4th February 2010, 23:34 Quote
I am probably going to buy ME2 for the PC next week, but do I need to be connected to the net to play? I am confused. You used be able to buy a game and then do what you want with it, resell it, give it away, install it on another pc.
gavomatic57 5th February 2010, 08:53 Quote
Still haven't played either 1 or 2. Could have got ME1 cheap over Steam during their sale, but it just doesn't appeal to me. It is definitely not worth buying another 360 for - nothing is that good.
fatty beef 5th February 2010, 14:31 Quote
KAPOW! Free stuff.

ME1 is real good. The main story line is kick ass but the side quests suck.

ME2 is super entertaining. The main story line is pretty thin but the side quests are kick ass and the textures are 10000 times better with out any of that annoying popping.

Definatley not worth another 360 though. If you get real bored and have a few extra dollars sitting around tossing a graphics card and few sticks of memory into an rusty old dell with a Pentium4 and comparing it to a xbox is kind of fun.... Not that I would know about such things
Warrior24_7 5th February 2010, 22:13 Quote
Bioware: "Mass Effect not coming to PS3". Orily?!! By saying something like that, thats usually the first sign that it is! the same thing was said about Oblivion, and Bioshock! Sony said that about Assassin's Creed and UTIII. This has happened countless other times. This could be just a "timed exclusive", so don't be surprised if this game ends up on the PS3 a year later!
1ad7 6th February 2010, 08:35 Quote
Who cares... I mean really. Its on PC thats all that matters
MiNiMaL_FuSS 6th February 2010, 09:45 Quote
unfortunately you ony have to check out the big torrent sites around the web to see that this antipiracy effort has failed....all the DLC content is already cracked. Shame, EA might push them to go for somethign more intrusive next time.
Horizon 7th February 2010, 14:08 Quote
Most of the DLC wasn't even worth it, only good thing was the Incisor sniper rifle.
Elton 7th February 2010, 22:47 Quote
Originally Posted by Warrior24_7

Nope, Microsoft made them sign a contract. The whole series belongs to the 360 and PC.

Not that I don't mind, I've got a good PC, time to see if they allowed more Graphics options this time around. The last game really needed AA and better less spotty shadows.
hexx 8th February 2010, 11:18 Quote
that's shame, after xbox died on me i bought ps3, not coming back to m*soft, switched completely, sold pc and bought mbpro, threw away xbox and got ps3 instead