bit-gamer.net

Capcom defends Resi Evil from religious criticism

Capcom defends Resi Evil from religious criticism

Capcom has defended Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles from criticism that the game causes violence

Capcom has today defended new Wii shooter Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles from religious groups in the UK who have spoken out against the game recently.

Bishop Bryant of Jarrow, Archdeacon Brian Smith and Rt Rev John Goddard have all banded together and claimed that the game promotes interest in the occult, among other things.

If we dabble in this area we open ourselves to influences and put ourselves at risk," said Rev John Goddard, according to MCV. "I would regard any encouragement for children to be drawn into this behaviour with extreme horror.

Capcom spokesperson Leo Tan has struck back however, labelling the criticisms as absurd and nothing more than "typical religious hysteria".

This is scaremongering and typical religious hysteria. You cannot blame society’s ills on video games. It’s just absurd," said Leo.

Most games (and movies) like Resident Evil show characters fighting evil not supporting it. Unfortunately the clergy is showing a lack of understanding of the video games industry and is too quick to splash the holy water and lump video games players into stereotypical boxes.

"

Video games are entertainment and like horror movies or other scary films they are covered by a ratings system. Resident Evil for example is a 15 and not suitable for anyone under that age. Parents have to be trusted to adhere to these age restrictions and use common sense.

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

26 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
ChaosDefinesOrder 26th November 2009, 13:00 Quote
QFT, Leo, QFT
AshT 26th November 2009, 13:04 Quote
Maybe Rev John Goddard should not play the game that way he won't open himself to influences and put himself at risk.
Digi 26th November 2009, 13:04 Quote
Damn, that's about as honest a back-lash as I have ever seen. Very well done. No more of this Religious nonsense, I agree!
barndoor101 26th November 2009, 13:25 Quote
Quote:
Unfortunately the clergy is showing a lack of understanding of the video games industry and is too quick to splash the holy water and lump video games players into stereotypical boxes.

Pwnd
xaser04 26th November 2009, 13:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
“Video games are entertainment and like horror movies or other scary films they are covered by a ratings system. Resident Evil for example is a 15 and not suitable for anyone under that age. Parents have to be trusted to adhere to these age restrictions and use common sense."

Something that is sorely lacking in a multitude of areas in society.

I love it though, the moron rev Goddard has shown complete ignorance of the gaming industry (yet again) by assuming that all games are aimed at children. Does he understand the concept of a rating system?


God I hate people that get offended on others behalf. If you don't like something, keep your opinion to yourself!
Centy-face 26th November 2009, 14:32 Quote
I treat the Christian church or any religious cult with equal contempt subjecting yourself to any of that brain washing garbage they are all as bad as each other just some are less vocal.
Skiddywinks 26th November 2009, 14:37 Quote
Wow, damn good job there Leo. Finally, someone telling the religious fear-mongerers exactly what they need to be told, and the whole time keeping it based on fact and logical arguments.

This guy deserves a raise and a promotion! Exactly the kind of person we need more of; logical and not afraid to say what needs to be said.
paisa666 26th November 2009, 14:46 Quote
"This is scaremongering and typical religious hysteria. You cannot blame society’s ills on video games. It’s just absurd,"

"Unfortunately the clergy is showing a lack of understanding of the video games industry and is too quick to splash the holy water and lump video games players into stereotypical boxes."

Is there really anything else to say?
Phil Rhodes 26th November 2009, 15:22 Quote
the game promotes interest in the occult

I cower in the face of your unimpeachable record on "not believing in the supernatural', Captain Religious.
Star*Dagger 26th November 2009, 20:06 Quote
I call churches "Temples of Evil", because that most accurately describes their alignment and activities therein.
For 2000 years the Church has held back humanity, it is good to see so few people go to these Temples of Evil, but we must be ever vigilant, because they try to infect our modern culture with their intolerant views and mindset. (Ditto for the mosques and any other Patriarchal religion).
When a religion is based on telling you what to do, when and for how long, there is a real problem. When the decision making power of these rules is placed in people the problems grow larger. When religion finally subverts government to go to war against people who believe differently or limit the rights of people at home, the problem is urgent!

Yours in Freedom from Religious Oppression,
Star¤Dagger
bahgger 26th November 2009, 20:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rhodes
the game promotes interest in the occult

I cower in the face of your unimpeachable record on "not believing in the supernatural', Captain Religious.

You get quoted for the awesomeness that is this post.
Rkiver 26th November 2009, 20:37 Quote
Common sense? Surely that is the antithesis of religion. Expecting religious nuts to have any is pushing the bounds of reality.

Regardless I agree, games are entertainment, should be treated as such, be marked appropriate age limits due to their content, and if you don't like it, don't play it and shut the hell up.
Ph4ZeD 26th November 2009, 21:58 Quote
Organised religion is one of the most disgusting and evil influences on this planet. The only time we will be able to have a world at peace is when this manipulative and corrupt system is banished.
gnutonian 26th November 2009, 22:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD
Organised religion is one of the most disgusting and evil influences on this planet. The only time we will be able to have a world at peace is when this manipulative and corrupt system is banished.
Totally, because people would all be friends if it weren't for them evil religions. :|
By saying that you're the same as the Reverend, except on the other side of the fence. He blames games, you blame religion. Any intelligent person blames people and the fact that we're inherently massively retarded.

Whereas I respect the Reverend's position (his job, if you will) I think he should keep his opinion in his congregation. He's their proverbial shepherd, not the UK's or the world's.

Even better, maybe next time he can research the subject before commenting. I highly doubt any adult (or adolescent... or child) will become an occultist or mass-murderer because of this game, just like Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 won't make anyone shoot civilians in an airport. Or anywhere else.

There's plenty of other "reasons" to commit violence. Criminals need neither games nor religion to lead them.
Ph4ZeD 26th November 2009, 22:33 Quote
Oh there are plenty of reasons to commit violence. Violence is inherently part of humanity. But religion gives people the excuse and reasoning to convince themselves that what they are doing is right and will be rewarded for it. If all religion disappeared today, of course there would still be wars. However, there would certainly be far fewer wars, of lesser intensity.
Initialised 26th November 2009, 23:15 Quote
It's not like religious organisations ]shelter paedophiles or anything is it?

At least video games don't target little boys.
gavomatic57 26th November 2009, 23:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Initialised
It's not like religious organisations ]shelter paedophiles or anything is it?

At least video games don't target little boys.

Lets be honest, if you deny your natural urges for the sake of a book of short stories, you're going to go a bit weird - or you were a bit weird in the first place and needed to bury it somehow.

Either way, I don't think any organised religion should be passing judgement on anything - glass houses an' all that.
gnutonian 27th November 2009, 04:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavomatic57
Either way, I don't think any organised religion should be passing judgement on anything - glass houses an' all that.
Yes, let's blame religious institutions for 'their' mistakes of the past. Let's also blame all the Britons and Americans for black slavery and all the Muslims and Scandinavians for white slavery. And let's blame me for the fact that my grandfather fought against the Soviets, which makes him (and henceforth, me) a dirty Nazi!

Just my view, not Catholicism's (or any other religion/denomination's). The sad thing is that, according to Catholic teaching, God is willing to forgive your mistakes if you truly feel sorry for making them. Yet some people can't forgive the Church's mistakes from 500 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Initialised
It's not like religious organisations ]shelter paedophiles or anything is it?

At least video games don't target little boys.
According to the same logic, all Belgians are pedophiles. Several pedophile cases, the Dutroux one being the highest-profile one, prove this.
Hold on, all those kiddy-fiddlers are Wallonian (southern, French-speaking region of Belgium for the geographically-challenged). Therefore, all Wallonians are pedophiles and the Flemish go free. Therefore, Flanders should proclaim independence now. And probably hang as much Wallonians as possible for crimes against "think of the children".

The above may be erratic, but out of hundreds of thousands Catholic priests there have been a few accusations. Even fewer have been proven in court. Doesn't it make you wonder when a supposed "victim" takes an out-of-court settlement (paid for by the local church who doesn't want bad publicity in an already anti-Christian modern climate, not the Pope's wallet) instead of making sure the alleged offender gets imprisoned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD
Oh there are plenty of reasons to commit violence. Violence is inherently part of humanity. But religion gives people the excuse and reasoning to convince themselves that what they are doing is right and will be rewarded for it. If all religion disappeared today, of course there would still be wars. However, there would certainly be far fewer wars, of lesser intensity.
I think religion's an easy excuse, and I think that the disappearance of it would only "cure" a dozen offenders. All the other ones will continue their acts of violence against innocent people.
According to an Israeli ex-agent, more than 66% of suicide attacks against Israel were perpetrated by secular groups. People willing to kill others whilst killing themselves without any notion of "martyrdom" or reward. They're just pissed off or have nothing else to live for (if you ever visit Palestine, you'll see what the latter means).

There's also been a study saying that the majority of "terrorists" belong the to group because of exactly that: a sense of belonging. Not religion, just "something to do" to put it very blunty and extremely simplified. Unfortunately, the name of the study's author escapes me now (to be fair to me, it's nearly 5AM here).

Yes, religion can be bad. But the ridiculous outburst of one member (out of a ****ing billion) shouldn't cause this stupid wave of anti-religion hatred. It's as silly as "masturbation causes blindness" (every guy on here knows that is anything but true, because you're still reading!).


Just re-read this, it sounds really weird. But it's the best I can do, with English being the third language I was taught. It doesn't help that "religion" is a very deep and wide subject. Hope it makes some sense.

Oh, and apologies for the off-original-topic post ;)
Orothe 27th November 2009, 06:19 Quote
Wasn't it churches that used their power of influence for selfish gains? As well as gained followers for even MORE influence and power? >.>

Remember Bishop, it is your God(s) that you claim to have all this power. Until he/she/them judges video games as such evil/sins/bad influence, then you have no right to make such judgements based on your own opinion!

*Splash's holy water* The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you!
Joeymac 27th November 2009, 09:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperium

According to the same logic, all Belgians are pedophiles. Several pedophile cases, the Dutroux one being the highest-profile one, prove this.
Hold on, all those kiddy-fiddlers are Wallonian (southern, French-speaking region of Belgium for the geographically-challenged). Therefore, all Wallonians are pedophiles and the Flemish go free. Therefore, Flanders should proclaim independence now. And probably hang as much Wallonians as possible for crimes against "think of the children".

The above may be erratic, but out of hundreds of thousands Catholic priests there have been a few accusations. Even fewer have been proven in court. Doesn't it make you wonder when a supposed "victim" takes an out-of-court settlement (paid for by the local church who doesn't want bad publicity in an already anti-Christian modern climate, not the Pope's wallet) instead of making sure the alleged offender gets imprisoned?

I used to work for a housing organisation that dealt with some real scum. A woman worked there who had a big connections with the local church, she would run various functions at the church and knew all the regular visiters well. A SIGNIFICANT percentage if them had gone through the housing organisation system and were as sex offenders. Of course due to the confidential nature of the job she couldn't reveal that she knew any of them. So yes, paedophiles do flock to churches in a higher population than they are in society at large.
DbD 27th November 2009, 11:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymac

I used to work for a housing organisation that dealt with some real scum. A woman worked there who had a big connections with the local church, she would run various functions at the church and knew all the regular visiters well. A SIGNIFICANT percentage if them had gone through the housing organisation system and were as sex offenders. Of course due to the confidential nature of the job she couldn't reveal that she knew any of them. So yes, paedophiles do flock to churches in a higher population than they are in society at large.

Church is meant to be there for the lost, seems like the woman and the church were doing a better job then most - their actions probably changed the lives of several paedophiles which probably in turn saved several children.

Looking at this thread it doesn't seem to be the Christians spreading lies, hatred and intolerance.
Ph4ZeD 27th November 2009, 15:46 Quote
Quote:
Just my view, not Catholicism's (or any other religion/denomination's). The sad thing is that, according to Catholic teaching, God is willing to forgive your mistakes if you truly feel sorry for making them. Yet some people can't forgive the Church's mistakes from 500 years ago.

Saying that you shouldn't use a condom to try to prevent AIDS and HIV was not "500 years ago". It was more like... well last year. How many African's are dying from HIV because their church told them that using a condom or any form of contraception is a sin? So they kept having unprotected sex, meaning they became HIV positive and died a very slow death? I'd be quite surprised if it was less than a million.
Quote:
Looking at this thread it doesn't seem to be the Christians spreading lies, hatred and intolerance.

Lets discuss attitudes towards homosexuality in certain parts of America or other very Christian countries (or Muslim countries for that matter). Then we can talk about intolerance. I don't think you will find many bigoted/racist/homophobic atheists. You will however find a hell of a lot of Christians/Muslims that are.
Joeymac 27th November 2009, 17:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbD
Church is meant to be there for the lost, seems like the woman and the church were doing a better job then most - their actions probably changed the lives of several paedophiles which probably in turn saved several children.

Looking at this thread it doesn't seem to be the Christians spreading lies, hatred and intolerance.

I'm sure that it's best for them to all be in one place getting some kind of support rather than roaming around. Yes, the Church does a good job in that respect. I read some of the files of the people that woman helps out and I wouldn't want them anywhere near me.. kudos to her. Of course the other parishioners have no idea for the most part, ignorance is bliss.

But, the point made by "Initialised", which I was defending; was that, irrespective of how and why they are there. There are a higher number of paedophiles and miscreants in the Church than in normal society. It stands to reason that, in the UK certainly, there is next to no pressure to become religious and even less to attend Church regularly (Christians I'm talking about here). Therefore those who do feel the need to attend, must have something to repent. With the cultural habit removed (as it were), the church is the last refuge for the damaged seeking an afterlife insurance policy.
gnutonian 27th November 2009, 22:50 Quote
Quote:
How many African's are dying from HIV because their church told them that using a condom or any form of contraception is a sin? So they kept having unprotected sex, meaning they became HIV positive and died a very slow death? I'd be quite surprised if it was less than a million.
They contract and spread HIV by sleeping around. If you sleep with one person unprotected, the disease doesn't spread (even if one partner gives it to the other).

According to the Africans/AIDS/Christianity argument, they follow the Pope's word and don't use condoms. But then they go fully against the Church by being promiscuous. I don't feel pity for anyone (from whatever continent) who gets whatever disease through their own fault. If you sleep around, protect yourself. If you don't want to protect yourself, don't sleep around or jerk off.

Horny guys are the problem here, not religion (though I agree with the "it gives an excuse for..." argument from one of your earlier posts). If you don't sleep around unprotected, you don't catch stuff.

Unless an African zombie bites you, I suppose. After all, this is (still) a Resident Evil thread
dec 29th November 2009, 13:04 Quote
Quote:


Agreed
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums