bit-gamer.net

Russian government recalls Modern Warfare 2

Russian government recalls Modern Warfare 2

The Russian government has launched a recall of all console versions of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

In Russia all Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 are being recalled by the government because of objections raised towards the airport terrorism scene.

The scene in question allows players to take the role of an undercover American agent who accompanies Russian terrorists on a killing spree through a Moscow airport. The level has been the focus of much controversy, though Activision does make it clear before the game is even begun that Modern Warfare 2 contains highly objectionable material. The game even issues a prompt allowing players to seamlessly skip over that level.

According to Hellforge the console versions of the game are being recalled entirely, while the level has simply been removed from the PC versions via a post-release patch.

It is expected that Activision will release a new version of the game in Russia that will have the 'No Russian' level removed from the game and which will be approved to the Russian government.

There's been a substantial backlash against Modern Warfare 2 in Russia, with many people alleging an anti-Russian bias due to the way that Russian forces are presented as the baddies.

You can read our review of Modern Warfare 2 for more information in the game, or let us know your thoughts in the forums.

52 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
smc8788 17th November 2009, 11:29 Quote
Quote:
There's been a substantial backlash against Modern Warfare 2 in Russia, with many people alleging an anti-Russian bias due to the way that Russian forces are presented as the baddies.

Uh, that would be because they are the baddies in the game? Don't they realise it's just a fictional story?
bodkin 17th November 2009, 11:31 Quote
Well you say that, but can you imagine the backlash if it had been the other way around. You are a Russian defending Moscow form the American invaders. The US would blow up with rage
scawp 17th November 2009, 11:38 Quote
simple solution for Activision "localization"! Swap the character models of the Americans and Russians and change the airport name to "LAX". Doubt they'll complain about that!
scawp 17th November 2009, 11:39 Quote
bodkin bet me to it!
Horizon 17th November 2009, 11:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodkin
Well you say that, but can you imagine the backlash if it had been the other way around. You are a Russian defending Moscow form the American invaders. The US would blow up with rage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp
bodkin bet me to it!

Honestly, I wouldn't bat an eyelid, but if there was gratuitous boobs [gasp] or worse then we'd have a situation on our hands.
scawp 17th November 2009, 11:49 Quote
how about changing the location to the house of parliament and having the Queen running around with a gatling gun? "One is quite cross, motherf***ers"
Aracos 17th November 2009, 12:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp
how about changing the location to the house of parliament and having the Queen running around with a gatling gun? "One is quite cross, motherf***ers"

I so want that to happen now, imagine if the queen even done the voiceover!
sear 17th November 2009, 12:22 Quote
I can understand their objection, especially in light of the semi-recent shooting in Germany, though I'm not sure if censorship and banning are the best options. I actually find the moral outrage in the United States over the scene quite funny, because you'd think the Americans would be all too happy to bring gratuitous death to some Ruskies. Maybe FOX News omitted the bit about it taking place in Moscow and not Orlando.
javaman 17th November 2009, 12:22 Quote
Could it be a first?? Uk version of a game has more content than some other other country =O surprised it isn't banned here too under political correctness, everyone knows russians arn't terrorists, the talaban are!!
tejas 17th November 2009, 12:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788
Quote:
There's been a substantial backlash against Modern Warfare 2 in Russia, with many people alleging an anti-Russian bias due to the way that Russian forces are presented as the baddies.

Uh, that would be because they are the baddies in the game? Don't they realise it's just a fictional story?

Yes it is fictional. However it is a typical story of powerful America doing "good" along with Britain a spent power now totally irrelevant, still pretending it is important.

Oh wait... that was a commentary on contemporary political life. The Russians have every right to be angry as apparently the British are the saviors of the world according to Activision. More like Obama's toilet roll I would say.
Whalemeister 17th November 2009, 12:43 Quote
What's russian for Waaaambulance?
perplekks45 17th November 2009, 12:44 Quote
Boohoohoo!
So a game uses a stereotype about terrorists? Woop-di-****in'-doo! It's a G-A-M-E!

Just another example of people making decisions when not having the slightest clue what they're talking about. :(
bodkin 17th November 2009, 13:01 Quote
@tejas our empire might be long dead but calling the British armed forces and in particular UKSF in very naive
scawp 17th November 2009, 13:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas
a typical story of powerful America doing "good"

A large American based games company selling vast quantities of said game in America would be stupid not to, especially over the subject matter (War and the fact many American troops have died in recent years).

So they picked on Russian for this game, what other "super power" is there to pick on? China? North Korea? Canada? Wales? I'm sure all these will be dealt with in the next installments. Although I reckon if it was North Korea they wouldn't have just banned the game, they would have just sent the nukes into IW HQ as well. :-p
AshT 17th November 2009, 13:09 Quote
Can I ask someone who has played the game, is it possible to play either side? ie. can you be a defending ruskie and can you play an attacking ruskie?

If not ... why the ballache not? I thought pubs had got departments dedicated to localisation these days? International sensitivity?
Joeymac 17th November 2009, 13:11 Quote
Didn't Activision expect this? As some one said above.. it would be unbelievable if this was the other way around. A game which you 'played part in massacre in a US Airport as a terrorist' would cause the middle of American to implode from rage overload. It would be the biggest story the world had ever know. I'm with the Russians, they should have asked for more and made Activision re-do the scene exactly the same but with American's.
Autti 17th November 2009, 13:13 Quote
Russia can fight back by making a game about the American war effort, ala Dick Cheney pawning of jobs to ex-military "security" companies who kill people because they get paid to do so, not by a government but by a corporation.

I doubt it would go down well in America... oh wait its true...
UrbanMarine 17th November 2009, 13:22 Quote
If this was a movie, no one would be complaining. Once it becomes interactive, it becomes a problem even if it's pro or anti [insert country here].

The good guys alway get priority in games. One reason you'll never see a WWII, were you play a Nazi (Not a American/British spy) in single player.
cyrilthefish 17th November 2009, 13:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp
how about changing the location to the house of parliament and having the Queen running around with a gatling gun? "One is quite cross, motherf***ers"

Lol, i'd so buy that game for the sheer comedy value
ChaosDefinesOrder 17th November 2009, 13:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilthefish
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp
how about changing the location to the house of parliament and having the Queen running around with a gatling gun? "One is quite cross, motherf***ers"

Lol, i'd so buy that game for the sheer comedy value

"One has had it with these motherf***ing terrorists in One's mother f***ing palace!"
scawp 17th November 2009, 13:40 Quote
@cyrilthefish the boss battle against Gordon Brown would be epic.
pizan 17th November 2009, 13:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp
So they picked on Russian for this game, what other "super power" is there to pick on? China? North Korea? Canada? Wales? I'm sure all these will be dealt with in the next installments. Although I reckon if it was North Korea they wouldn't have just banned the game, they would have just sent the nukes into IW HQ as well. :-p

I understand your joking, but c'mon Canada and Wales?
DragunovHUN 17th November 2009, 13:57 Quote
I wonder how the russians feel about Red Dawn then.
rationalvoices 17th November 2009, 14:37 Quote
The level in question is about an american undercover operative who 'embeds' himself with terrorists, then walks along (or joins in, your choice as the player) with a suited mob of half a dozen 'terrorists' (think Die Hard) while they mow down everything that moves in an airport...the whole airport...this goes on for 5-10 minutes, depending on how you handle the SWAT teams that show up.
Ummmm...seems to me to be a fairly realistic implication of the dangers of a 'war on terror'...I mean, at the end of the day, this is about an American who goes through a Russian airport killing Russians...so isn't it an indictment of America? By realistic, I mean, to fight 'terror' you have to do 'unsavory' things, unsavory may mean...supporting...terror....

Who would've thought the big bad toughy scruffy Russians would be so sensitive? Make a game about the Liberation of Chechnya from Russian control, then the liberation of Georgia...if you're gonna piss 'em off, do it for real.
Tsung 17th November 2009, 14:59 Quote
I object to that level, not because of the graphic content; but becuase it is slow, boring and could easierly be covered with a cut scene. Hopefully playable cut scene's is not going to become the norm. The russian government realise this and are trying to save it's citizens the pain of going through that level.

Seriously, I still do not know why they are recalling it? the Xbox & PS3 versions can be patched just like the PC version. In fact patches can be forced upon the "network connected" console users without any hassles or grief.
kenco_uk 17th November 2009, 15:04 Quote
скооооорая помощь ?

It's similar to the furore over one of the tunes in LBP.
thehippoz 17th November 2009, 15:13 Quote
maybe touches a little too close to home.. like the above poster pointed out- the georgia incident didn't happen too long ago

it's the banning that makes you wonder, the man at work.. I would hope some people would complain if this offended anyone in russia besides the government.. sounds like activision are trying to push peoples buttons again- that's assuming peeps outside the government even cared
Haramzadeh 17th November 2009, 15:15 Quote
I wonder how brits would react to a popular game where there is a level involving you being a angry muslim youth with a bomb on a bus. And perhaps 3 other digital comrades on other buses.

But it's relevent to the story!

Lets face it, the Russians are sick of constantly being portrayed as the baddies and demonised. Can't blame em for the move.
Evildead666 17th November 2009, 15:22 Quote
I agree with Bodkin and Joeymac, I can see where they're coming from.

Activision could have just mentioned an 'eastern country' like Makeuposlavia, like the gaming world has done soooooooo many times before.
The idea of an American dealing death with Russian terrorists, in a Russian airport is just stupid.
As stated aboven if it was the other way round, USA would be on fire by now....
They should have thought of this, probably did, and decided their judgement was better than asking the Russian embassy, or someone else who could reply for them.....
Xtrafresh 17th November 2009, 16:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp
A large American based games company selling vast quantities of said game in America would be stupid not to, especially over the subject matter (War and the fact many American troops have died in recent years).

So they picked on Russian for this game, what other "super power" is there to pick on? China? North Korea? Canada? Wales? I'm sure all these will be dealt with in the next installments. Although I reckon if it was North Korea they wouldn't have just banned the game, they would have just sent the nukes into IW HQ as well. :-p
South Park already did that :p
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg13/Xtrafresh/wales.jpg
Haramzadeh 17th November 2009, 16:38 Quote
And dolphins too.
tron 17th November 2009, 16:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsung
I object to that level, not because of the graphic content; but becuase it is slow, boring and could easierly be covered with a cut scene. Hopefully playable cut scene's is not going to become the norm. The russian government realise this and are trying to save it's citizens the pain of going through that level.

Ageed.

I personally don't think I have ever witnessed a more boring game level in my whole entire gaming life.

They should have simply made it a short cut scene or skipped it completely. I believe it was put in the game to provoke reactions and push boundaries.

However, the actual 'gameplay' itself is extremely boring and unchallenging to the level of being totally pointless.

I would have gotten more of a challenge if the level was called 'No Queen' and one ninja stealth bi***h with wrinkly sagging knockers tried to wrap me into the clutches of the knockers from random glory holes in the airport walls.
kenco_uk 17th November 2009, 16:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron

I would have gotten more of a challenge if the level was called 'No Queen' and one ninja stealth bi***h with wrinkly sagging knockers tried to wrap me into the clutches of the knockers from random glory holes in the airport walls.

Steady on there, you'll be giving IW ideas!
Nicholas 17th November 2009, 17:37 Quote
This reminds me of a story a couple years ago or so'ish.

I think it was in the middle east, the government released it's own first person shooter BUT they made the Americans the "baddies." I think I seen it on Tech TV. (before it was G4)

Anyways, the level is stupid and pointless... but that is the scene that brings together the ENTIRE GAME. By the way, the "AMERICAN" gets shot in the face before he gets a chance to leave the airport so what the hell is the deal?

Without that scene, there was no reason for Russia to attack the US right?

It totally blew me away when I played it at 1 in the morning after I waited in line for 4 hours for the midnight release at GameStop. And hey, I have no objections to the game really!

If the US was the bad guy, Infinity Ward would get burned down, someone has to be a bad guy. It could have been Canada... but no one wants a game where people are saying "Ehh" all the time. Could have been the UK but no one wants a game with characters having bad teeth!

Ok I'm bored

Nice thread - good going Russia on controlling peoples lives, it's just a game. Someone should send Vin Diesel after you (Tripple X movie) LOL
Nicholas 17th November 2009, 17:43 Quote
PS - they are being "RECALLED" So what, the citizens already have it? Like EVERYONE who has it is really going to just bring it back and wait for Infinity Ward to release a different version to them? I wonder how long that will take!!!

* I call 2 years when a new game is released again!
Nicholas 17th November 2009, 17:50 Quote
AHHH another note... why be offended by a shooting in an airport Russia?!

The White House gets burned down, you bomb America and try and take control of it in the game!

Or did I not get enough sleep and I don't remember right? Or is that the good part you like? Anyways, I'm off to class. Will read this when I get home. ... STUPID finals suck...
Haramzadeh 17th November 2009, 18:03 Quote
I've always aspired to do a triple whammy on Bit-Tech. Your living the dream Nicholas!
TWeaK 17th November 2009, 21:43 Quote
[QUOTE=scawp]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas
Although I reckon if it was North Korea they wouldn't have just banned the game, they would have just sent the nukes into IW HQ as well. :-p

Do you think we could make a game like that and just pretend to North Korea that IW made it? Would solve a lot of problems for the PC gaming community and send a strong message ;)
Nicholas 17th November 2009, 23:00 Quote
[QUOTE=TWeaK;2150463]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp


Do you think we could make a game like that and just pretend to North Korea that IW made it? Would solve a lot of problems for the PC gaming community and send a strong message ;)

a message to whom? lol EA maybe? probably not, all they do is sports now after all the people they fired recently.

i wish though i wish haha
SMIFFYDUDE 17th November 2009, 23:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMarine
If this was a movie, no one would be complaining. Once it becomes interactive, it becomes a problem even if it's pro or anti [insert country here].

The good guys alway get priority in games. One reason you'll never see a WWII, were you play a Nazi (Not a American/British spy) in single player.

You'll wet yourself when you see Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad next year then. You get the choice to play as jerry.
1ad7 18th November 2009, 00:43 Quote
Moral of the story, don't be a Baddie for 100's of years or you'll keep that reputation Russia's like the whore who doesn't wanna be called a hoe!
livesabitch 18th November 2009, 02:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilthefish
Lol, i'd so buy that game for the sheer comedy value

1+ on that one! go the queen!!!! kick some ass! LOL
Nicholas 19th November 2009, 01:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ad7
Moral of the story, don't be a Baddie for 100's of years or you'll keep that reputation Russia's like the whore who doesn't wanna be called a hoe!

hahaha thats great
barndoor101 20th November 2009, 11:15 Quote
Wrong, the console version wasnt released in Russia, and the PC version hasnt been pulled.
pepolshet 24th July 2010, 20:05 Quote
Well, imagine if Russia would make a game with a nice little side mission called "No Twin Towers" would be funny wouldn't it? Honestly I think Russia should've sued Activision for brain-washing the youth to attacking peaceful Russian citizens.
bigsharn 25th July 2010, 08:07 Quote
So you just came to troll on an age-old topic? Gratz

Seriously, if the Russians made a game about the twin towers I'm sure America are over it ten years later... If they made one of the 7/7 bombings us lot here in England wouldn't give a toss because it'd be a fictional story based on the events, which are a part of history.
knuck 25th July 2010, 08:15 Quote
at first I thought Russia was late to the party but then I saw the date of the thread...


meh
Material 25th July 2010, 11:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsharn
I'm sure America are over it ten years later...

You're kidding right?! They will never get over it.
impar 26th January 2011, 11:13 Quote
Repo 26th January 2011, 14:26 Quote
Well, if I ever find myself in a bar on a reservation with a Native American called Tommy and Blue Oyster Cults "Don't Fear the Reaper" comes on the jukebox, I'll know that we are about to be abducted by aliens...
TehKrak3n 27th January 2011, 01:55 Quote
Cant think of a game off top of my head where its russians defending from 'bad' americans

Usually (esp rts that I play) its the bad ussr attacking usa
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums