Lord of the Rings Online for Xbox 360?

Lord of the Rings Online for Xbox 360?

Turbine and Codemasters could well be looking to bring Lord of the Rings Online to the Xbox 360 in the future.

A new customer survey has turned up which hints at the possible release of Lord of the Rings Online for the Xbox 360 in the future, with developer Turbine apparently considering both a subscription and micro-transaction based business model for the game.

The customer survey, which was posted on GameDaily recently, mentions not only the concept of a Xbox 360-based MMO game, but also one which will be decidedly different from the PC release. Specific mention is made of being able to follow an evil plotline as a minion of Sauron, for example.

Elsewhere the reports refers to having up to eight possible playable races and more than 600 quests divided over two separate campaigns in "the largest virtual world ever built on a console".

While the survey isn't a direct confirmation of the project, it does show that Turbine and Codemasters are interested in getting into the console MMO market, asking players how they would prefer to pay for an Xbox 360 MMORPG. The survey suggests either a $12.99 USD subscription fee for the game on a presumably monthly basis, as well as asking what players would consider a good price for in-game content such as clothes, equipment, mounts and pets.

Turbine has previously confirmed that it is working on a console MMO, but it hasn't yet been confirmed whether or not it is based on Tolkien's Lord of the Rings franchise.

Have you tried out Lord of the Rings Online at all? If not then you can check out our review of Lord of the Rings Online, or just let us know what you think of the console-based concept in the forums.

TreeDude 14th May 2009, 14:40 Quote
I still feel MMO makers should give the game away if they are going to charge a fee monthly. This is the main reason I don't play MMOs (Guild Wars I played for some time though).

The only console MMO to really make it is FFXI and the FF name is the main reason. I feel a micro transaction model without the monthly fee would be their best bet for success.
Nictron 14th May 2009, 16:07 Quote
I am enjoying LOTRO thoroughly. Even made some tribute videos to show off the game:

Enjoy
Jojii 14th May 2009, 18:46 Quote
I think a subscription model makes sense on the ps3 where the online is free but the problem with the 360 is you’re already paying 50 a month to get online. The only way this would be acceptable is if the game itself was free. With no initial purchase price it would be very temping to sign up for monthly subscription payments. This is a pipe dream but one can always hope.
KayinBlack 14th May 2009, 19:08 Quote
Don't tempt me, Turbine...

At any rate, I'm possessed of a 360, and a year's sub to LOTRO, and I must say-IF YOU MAKE ME SPEND MORE, I WILL HAVE SPENT MORE THAN MY WIFE SAYS IS OK. I CANNOT GET AWAY WITH THAT.

Thanks for listening, Turbine.
perplekks45 14th May 2009, 21:58 Quote
... as well as asking what players would consider a good price for in-game content such as clothes, equipment, mounts and pets.
Nothing?

Milking the cow, are we?
b5k 14th May 2009, 23:07 Quote
Originally Posted by TreeDude
With LOTRO you can download all the game files for free, but you have to buy a subscription. I thought it easier to buy my friends DVD's and account for £5. Tank hobbits are funny.
TimB 15th May 2009, 08:13 Quote
One of the LOTRO developers posted this on the official forums in reply to this:

"*Grabs the E-Brake*

Not so fast! Our market research team asks a lot of questions via surveys. While it’s kind of fun to guess about what this surveys mean, the content of the survey doesn’t reflect our actual plans. Survey information gets fed into the big old planning machine here and helps inform future decisions on any number of subjects.

Will there ever be a version of LOTRO for the console?
Magic eight ball says: Future Hazy."