bit-gamer.net

New TF2 update hints at radical game changes

New TF2 update hints at radical game changes

The latest patch for Team Fortress 2 hints at a series of potentially radical changes to the title that could be coming soon.

The latest Team Fortress 2 patch just hit Steam and, while that may not be newsworthy in and of itself, the changelog for the update provides plenty of hints on new features that could be coming to the multiplayer game soon.

Among the changes introduced in the new patch is an extra, currently greyed-out slot in the loadout menu that appears to offer players the option to add headgear to their characters. Made curious by the new option Kotaku had a closer look at the data files for the game and found that headgear may just be the tip of the iceberg.

According to Kotaku it now looks like each class will not only be getting new optional headgear, but also some extra gear slots for grenades, PDAs and even buildings. How exactly these extra items will be added into the game remains to be seen however, though Valve hasn't yet commented on the story.

Other possible additions coming to Team Fortress 2 in the future include RPG-like weapon add-ons to improve stats. It looks like players will soon be able to beef up the firing rate, clip size and critical chance of their weapons, possibly even levelling them up over time.

While it is pure speculation at the moment, the theory would explain Valve's inclusion of a weapon delete function in the newest updates, as it seems like players will be limited in terms of how much gear they can accumulate. That said, Valve may have no plans to roll out these changes at all for all we know.

What do you think of Valve's continuing updates to Team Fortress 2? Let us know in the forums.

27 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
liratheal 21st April 2009, 11:09 Quote
..Grenades?

Wasn't this game quite liked for its lack of the damned things, or was that just one whiny Bristralian?
p3n 21st April 2009, 11:41 Quote
The TFC nades weren't included because they ended up performing the fucntion of mobility not crowd control etc
[USRF]Obiwan 21st April 2009, 12:21 Quote
I would love to see a 'portal' from Portal. Just place a portal below enemy flag and a portal above capture point. I would laugh my socks off. Thinking and picturing this in my head, I already have tears in my eyes of joy, when visualizing the panic reactions from the enemy..

Until a enemy engi drops a Sentry into the portal that is.. Whooeehahaha

Wait! What about a fake flag planted by a spy. ooohh the joy of seeing that!
UrbanMarine 21st April 2009, 12:42 Quote
It's about time they put grenades back in :)
CardJoe 21st April 2009, 12:48 Quote
Does nobody else feel that the continued updates are putting off newer players? I haven't played the game in ages, purely because I know that if I want to be on a level playing field with everyone else then I'd need to spend a good hour or two grinding the achievements to get the new weapons and such.

The main appeal of TF2 for me was always that skill and familiarity weren't barriers. You could jump in and just have fun, while the hardcore could still pull crazy moves and pwn everyone. The new content, while funny, is slowly just edging out people like me IMHO.
UrbanMarine 21st April 2009, 12:58 Quote
They wanted the game to be balanced, so they took out grenades and certain features. Now they're putting them back in and things are going to be even more unbalanced if you need to unlock stuff.
B1GBUD 21st April 2009, 13:20 Quote
The unlocks are designed to give a little variety to each class. I have most of the unlocks for the various classes but I find that I stick to the standard weapons most of the time (with the exception of the medic's Ubersaw).

The balance has been thrown somewhat by the recent scout updates... players getting stunned by these pesky scrotes hardly adds anything to the game, they only serve to remove a players abilty to control their character.

I for one would like to see an Engie update where they can Uber a sentry (once they've healed enough or provided teleporters) to defend from an Ubered attack.
V3ctor 21st April 2009, 13:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Does nobody else feel that the continued updates are putting off newer players? I haven't played the game in ages, purely because I know that if I want to be on a level playing field with everyone else then I'd need to spend a good hour or two grinding the achievements to get the new weapons and such.

The main appeal of TF2 for me was always that skill and familiarity weren't barriers. You could jump in and just have fun, while the hardcore could still pull crazy moves and pwn everyone. The new content, while funny, is slowly just edging out people like me IMHO.

Same here... I loved the game, but now... I can't get that much fun, because the new weapons (although good), made the game loose the appeal to me... I'm playing L4D for now, but even that is getting boring, I really need new maps, that game is dying too... come on Valve, don't fail me :)
Jamie 21st April 2009, 14:04 Quote
Sounds like they might be doing a system similar to that found in Call of Duty 4 multiplayer with ranks unlocking weapons and perks etc.
bowman 21st April 2009, 14:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Does nobody else feel that the continued updates are putting off newer players? I haven't played the game in ages, purely because I know that if I want to be on a level playing field with everyone else then I'd need to spend a good hour or two grinding the achievements to get the new weapons and such.

The main appeal of TF2 for me was always that skill and familiarity weren't barriers. You could jump in and just have fun, while the hardcore could still pull crazy moves and pwn everyone. The new content, while funny, is slowly just edging out people like me IMHO.

You're assuming things. The new stuff doesn't give you an advantage, it just gives you different tactics at the expense of other class advantages. The unlocks don't really give advantages to anyone.
Star*Dagger 21st April 2009, 14:19 Quote
I'm happy when I see a company with a track record for excellence give us new options in our favorite games.

+1 Valve.

Now go finish Episode 3, lol.

S*D
TurtlePerson2 21st April 2009, 14:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
..Grenades?

Wasn't this game quite liked for its lack of the damned things, or was that just one whiny Bristralian?

Yes, I remember them saying explicitly in the commentary that they took out grenades because they were too frustrating for new players.
frontline 21st April 2009, 15:09 Quote
Dod Source bugfixes and new content? Pretty Please :)
LeMaltor 21st April 2009, 16:58 Quote
They can't add grens, not after all this time, all this hate for it not having them in the first place and being a dumbed down consolified bore fest >_<
RallyRoach 21st April 2009, 17:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Does nobody else feel that the continued updates are putting off newer players? I haven't played the game in ages, purely because I know that if I want to be on a level playing field with everyone else then I'd need to spend a good hour or two grinding the achievements to get the new weapons and such.

I agree. I held off playing TF2 when I got The Orange box because I wanted to re-play HL2 before I played Ep1,2 & Portal. By the time I had played them all (including the excellent commentary play-thru :) ) I was so far behind the TF2 regulars that I was lost. Said I'd go back eventually, but when the updates started, I was even further behind :(

Oh well, at least I had lots of time for Fallout3 and L4D
ibs137 21st April 2009, 18:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Does nobody else feel that the continued updates are putting off newer players? I haven't played the game in ages, purely because I know that if I want to be on a level playing field with everyone else then I'd need to spend a good hour or two grinding the achievements to get the new weapons and such.

I agree. I held off playing TF2 when I got The Orange box because I wanted to re-play HL2 before I played Ep1,2 & Portal. By the time I had played them all (including the excellent commentary play-thru :) ) I was so far behind the TF2 regulars that I was lost. Said I'd go back eventually, but when the updates started, I was even further behind :(

Oh well, at least I had lots of time for Fallout3 and L4D


what do you mean? you're not further behind in anything??

OMG! people! do you even know TF2!

the unlocked weapons aren't any "better" than the original ones.. they just require diffrent tactics..

so what if the Heavy got the new minigun, the Natascha, if has 100% chance slowdown BUT it does 25% less damage!

the pyro's new flamethrower, Backburner, doesn't have the blast thing to reflect rockets and nades etc...
OtakuHawk 21st April 2009, 19:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Does nobody else feel that the continued updates are putting off newer players? I haven't played the game in ages, purely because I know that if I want to be on a level playing field with everyone else then I'd need to spend a good hour or two grinding the achievements to get the new weapons and such.

The main appeal of TF2 for me was always that skill and familiarity weren't barriers. You could jump in and just have fun, while the hardcore could still pull crazy moves and pwn everyone. The new content, while funny, is slowly just edging out people like me IMHO.

I have voiced a request again and again for a "Vanilla" server option, which disallows unlocks.
docodine 21st April 2009, 23:12 Quote
This is going to be incredibly good.

Customizable weapons in TF2 will be the best ever, RPG games will actually be accessible!
Mentai 22nd April 2009, 05:20 Quote
I never liked the fact that you have to grind out achievements. Steam knows that I've put over 20 hours into scout, I shouldn't have to put in any more time to get the unlocks, it just seems arbitrary at that point.
Sparrowhawk 22nd April 2009, 07:26 Quote
Personally, I really don't like that weapon deletion is *permanent*. Why, why WHY!? Why must we listen to noobs whine when they didn't know they couldn't earn them back?
Horizon 22nd April 2009, 07:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Does nobody else feel that the continued updates are putting off newer players? I haven't played the game in ages, purely because I know that if I want to be on a level playing field with everyone else then I'd need to spend a good hour or two grinding the achievements to get the new weapons and such.

The main appeal of TF2 for me was always that skill and familiarity weren't barriers. You could jump in and just have fun, while the hardcore could still pull crazy moves and pwn everyone. The new content, while funny, is slowly just edging out people like me IMHO.

I disagree because they don't give a definite edge to one player over another with a few exceptions, there are only a few of unlockable weapons that are worth pursuing, which are backburner, sandvich, ubersaw, and the blutsauger.
general22 22nd April 2009, 09:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Does nobody else feel that the continued updates are putting off newer players? I haven't played the game in ages, purely because I know that if I want to be on a level playing field with everyone else then I'd need to spend a good hour or two grinding the achievements to get the new weapons and such.

The main appeal of TF2 for me was always that skill and familiarity weren't barriers. You could jump in and just have fun, while the hardcore could still pull crazy moves and pwn everyone. The new content, while funny, is slowly just edging out people like me IMHO.

I disagree as well, pretty much the only unlocks worth getting are the kritzkrieg, blutsager, backburner and natascha. Pretty much all the other weapons and all the scout unlocks are useless. The real changes were the upgradeable teleporters and dispensers and the fact that spy's can now pick up ammo to extend the cloaking time.

So maybe new players might feel they are missing out but the unlockables aren't that good that they give you a massive advantage over other players. I play the scout with standard weapons and often find that I usually win out against scouts equipped with the unlocks.
Saivert 22nd April 2009, 18:41 Quote
You guys are hilarious. Please play the game before you comment on it. You have no clue whatsoever if you talk about unlocks giving an advantage. Valve specifically designed the unlocks so they would not give the player an advantage and throw off the balance. They have playtested this and released fixes based on feedback from gamers.
And it's not Valve's fault if you didn't play this game when it was released. Not that it prevents you from picking up the game later on. Besides who cares what you guys think. I'm having a blast playing it at least and that's all that matters.
Aterius Gmork 22nd April 2009, 19:08 Quote
Now we aren't self-centred, are we?
Jojii 22nd April 2009, 19:49 Quote
Self-centred arn't now we are?
CowBlazed 23rd April 2009, 00:02 Quote
They are right though, the weapons do not give you any inherit advantages. They can be really good yes, just like all the regular weapons can be really good if you take the time to play the game.

Any feeling of being "left behind" is all in your guys heads, if you just suck thats a different story, can't blame other people for playing and enjoying the game to its fullest when you couldn't be bothered. Besides, I've introduced a few friends to the game since the updates came out and they're having a blast, didn't take them too long to get good either after watching me play.

Valve has done a great job with the TF2 updates and should be commended.
Infection 23rd April 2009, 05:07 Quote
Grenades, no way, they where removed from the original release for a reason.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums