Introversion developing Defcon for DS

Introversion developing Defcon for DS

Introversion is currently looking for a publisher to help put out Defcon on the Nintendo DS.

UK-based indie studio Introversion is currently developing a port of PC strategy title Defcon for the Nintendo DS, though the project is currently without a publisher.

The news, which comes via Eurogamer, reveals that Introversion originally had a publishing deal which would see the game distributed by Pinnacle Publishing - who have since gone out of business. With the project so close to completion, all Introversion apparently needs is for another backer to step in. Any takers?

Defcon was one of the earlier games Introversion developed and was a strategy game in which players controlled the flow of a full-scale nuclear war. The aim of the game was simply to survive with the least number of losses, with a strong focus on pre-emptive strikes. The game was heavily inspired by the film War Games and you can read more about it in our full Defcon review.

How exactly the DS version of the successful strategy game will differ from the original isn't clear, but Introversion has apparently promised to have full stylus controls and a new, unique game mechanic. What that is exactly is still shrouded in fog of war though.

If you're interested in finding out more about Introversion then you can check out the on-going bit-tech Introversion blogs.

Are there any other indie games you'd like to see ported to another platform? Let us know in the forums.

lewchenko 20th April 2009, 14:10 Quote
Nice game.

Wrong Platform.

It is not cutsey or fluffy enough for the vast majority of 5-12yr olds who have DS's to accompany them to pony club. Plus the adult market is practically all women !
* I do realise that a few adult men/late teen men also own DS's... but they represent a small portion of the DS market.

No male mate of mine owns a DS. They own PSP's though. If you do.. then you are an anomoly statistically !
Just about every woman I know owns a DS.

Go figure.
p3n 20th April 2009, 14:41 Quote
99% of statistics are made up on the spot by opinionated morons on the internet...
Red Eye 20th April 2009, 14:44 Quote
I agree with lewchenko, Defcon is a serious game with a mature theme, quite the opposite of the market owning the DS. I'm hoping this wont hurt Introversion alot, I hope for the sake of the work already put in that a publisher will come forward. Introversion are only a small group of "bedroom coders", I've supported them by buying every game they have released but how well can they expect this to sell on the DS. Would've preferred the effort put into Subversion.
kylew 20th April 2009, 18:06 Quote
Originally Posted by lewchenko
Nice game.

Wrong Platform.

Just about every woman I know owns a DS.

Go figure.

*Cringe*

The DS isn't all about 'fluffy' games. The only reason more people have DSes over PSPs is because DSes are cheaper and have a lot more developer backing.

I've got both, and I think the PSP is great, but the DS just has a lot more support. Plus the PSP is quite clunky, it's got nothing to do with what you think.

I know a lot of people with DSes, not many with PSPs and the majority of the ones who own DSes are male.

I know the DS has fluffy games, but it's because they're generally simple games that are simple to make, and the DS caters to simple pretty well.

Plus the fact that the DS has such a huge market share that it can cater for pretty much every genre.
/pedant

Also, please, it's DSes not DS's. no apsotophes for plurals!

/pedant
aggies11 20th April 2009, 19:13 Quote
Hopefully it's someone with an actual marketing budget. Defcon is a great game that can actually have a wide appeal to many people, simple yet stylized graphics, very accessible concept. I'd love to see this game succeed on the DS.
Omnituens 20th April 2009, 19:19 Quote
Win in cartridge form tbh. DS is a perfect platform for such a game, as it lends itself to the touchscreen.
StooJ 21st April 2009, 05:02 Quote
Insta-buy from me.

Awesome game, brilliant wee platform for it and supporting Introversion. Win all round.
phuzz 21st April 2009, 09:40 Quote
This could be the perfect place to play Defcon for me, it always felt a bit, well, not casual but maybe, short(?) to be playing on a PC, on a DS it would be perfect imo.
(I know more blokes with DSes than with PSPs YMMV)
Blademrk 21st April 2009, 11:39 Quote
3 DS's in our household (three PSP's too, but they don't get as much use). I'd probably pick it up on the DS seemed like fun game.