Jonathan Blow lowers Braid PC price

Jonathan Blow lowers Braid PC price

Jonathan Blow has lowered the price of Braid on the PC, saying the console version was profitable enough.

Just yesterday Stardock and Jonathon Blow confirmed that the PC version of XBLA indie puzzler Braid would be priced at $19.95 USD on Stardock's Impulse platform. Now though the developer has stepped in and lowered the price to $14.95.

What's more, Blow has confirmed that the game won't be an Impulse exclusive either. He's apparently signed it with two other online distributors who just haven't announced the release yet. He isn't confirming anything, but the smart money is on those platforms being Valve's Steam and Penny Arcade's Greenhouse.

According to Blow though, the reason that he's lowered the price (a decision that Stardock at least has immediately honoured) is because he just doesn't care about that extra $5 and doesn't want it to be a barrier to potential players.

"I don't care that much about the PC release price," Blow said on his official blog, rather candidly. "The XBLA version was nicely profitable, and my goal with the PC release is mainly to get the game out to a wider audience."

"Sure, it would be nice to earn the optimal amount of money from that release - I have interesting ideas for games that I want to make in the future, and making games is very expensive, and I will probably have to hire people to help! But ultimately, I would rather have people talking about the game itself, what they like and dislike about it, than about how many American Fiat Currency Dollars it costs," Blow continued.

Well, Blow's definitely got part of his wish already as we've been raving about it ever since the Xbox 360 release. Check the full Braid review and Joe's extended ramblings to see why we think it was one of the best gaming moments of 2008, then let us know your thoughts in the forums.

steveo_mcg 19th February 2009, 12:19 Quote
Sensible marketing really, first round pay top dollar as they really want it. Those who are less interested/cheap pick it up at the price drop much the same as the big players have been doing for years no reason it can't work for inidies. The little extra publicity doesn't hurt and tbh he will probably make up the price drop in actual transactions any way.
Cupboard 19th February 2009, 19:21 Quote
Well yes, but that is usually once they have been on the market for a while. This hasn't been released yet
Still, at least we won't have too much longer to wait - Blow has said that the PC version of the game will be digitally released on March 31st, according to RockPaperShotgun. As with the Xbox 360 version there's no retail release planned either.
devdevil85 19th February 2009, 19:31 Quote
At that price, he'll get money from me, but only if it comes to PSN. I won't be gaming on a PC until I have the $ to afford a new one....
frojoe 20th February 2009, 00:04 Quote
Originally Posted by devdevil85

For some reason I'm willing to bet it would run fine on most pcs from the last few years. Braid isn't very hardware intensive is it?
dyzophoria 20th February 2009, 05:54 Quote
wasnt was he just saying that Microsoft was charging braid (and other indie titles) too low in xbox live just a couple of months ago?, I was sure I read it here somewhere,lol
Blademrk 23rd February 2009, 21:59 Quote
he's always said it was priced too high, it was the guy who created Space Giraffe that said they were priced too low.

Anyway, just noticed that it's been reduced to 800 pts on the xbox this week If you're a gold member.