Activision to sue EA over Brutal Legend?

Activision to sue EA over Brutal Legend?

Brutal Legend is the latest game from Double Fine Studios, but has faced repeated publishing problems.

Activision Blizzard is reportedly getting a little stroppy over Electronic Arts' decision to publish Double Fine Studios' new game, Brutal Legend, despite having previously abandoned the title.

Brutal Legend is the latest game from Tim 'Full Throttle' Schafer and features the voice of Jack Black as Eddie Riggs; a heavy metal roadie who gets sucked into a rock-themed dimension courtesy of a cursed belt buckle.

The game, which is announced for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, was originally due to be published by Vivendi Games. When Activision and Blizzard merged last year though, a number of Vivendi and Sierra games were hung out to dry because Activision didn't think they would be profitable enough. One of those titles was Brutal Legend, which was later picked up by Electronic Arts, thankfully.

According to Variety though, Activision is now threatening to sue both Double Fine and EA because, even though it made it clear it didn't want to publish the game, it believes it may still have the publishing rights.

According to EA however, the likelihood that Activision will actually take EA to court is rather slim though and EA is apparently secure in the legality of its position.

"That would be like a husband abandoning his family and then suing after his wife meets a better looking guy." Indeed - virtually indistinguishable," said an EA spokesperson.

Who would you rather see publish Brutal Legend and exactly how petty are these companies going to get? Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

Mentai 16th February 2009, 11:25 Quote
I was dismayed when Activision dropped Brutal Legend and happy when EA picked it up. And now this. This lowers the status of Activision down to the level of patent companies in my mind. Couldn't be more petty, disgusting.
proxess 16th February 2009, 11:28 Quote
Money money money I'm so hungry for money all I want is money and I'll get it anywhere I can. Geez... the world in general is becoming a slob. Here's a(nother) good example.
itazura 16th February 2009, 14:41 Quote
shame. and here i was thinking my distaste for activision couldn't get any lower...
UncertainGod 16th February 2009, 14:44 Quote
Well this is weird, I'm on the side of EA and don't feel dirty or anything.
B3CK 17th February 2009, 04:10 Quote
I think if the tables were reversed this would have would have brought about a whole different response. While I doubt activision would press the lawsuit too hard, they should get something back. A husband that abandons his family is still legally married.
[USRF]Obiwan 17th February 2009, 09:49 Quote
I'm with activision on this one, because there is no PC version and thats why the game would probably suck too.
DougEdey 18th February 2009, 13:01 Quote