Ubisoft bringing Broken Sword to Wii, DS

Ubisoft bringing Broken Sword to Wii, DS

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars will be remastered and remade for the Wii and DS.

Ubisoft has announced plans to resuscitate Charles Cecil's Broken Sword games by bringing the originals to the Wii and DS platforms in a new and updated form.

Despite on-going complaints from Lucasarts and Sierra that the adventure game genre is dead (which goes against the success of Telltale Games and Quantic Dream), Ubisoft is confident that the classic adventure genre will find a home on Nintendo's platforms thanks to the unique interface.

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars, which tells the story of American tourist George Stobbart and how he is pulled into a centuries-old conspiracy after witnessing a brutal murder in France, was originally published by Revolution Software on the PC by has been ported to every platform under the sun since then.

Ubisoft isn't just lazily porting the original game though and will instead be looking to spruce up the title into a new Director's Cut. The game will sport retouched graphics and effects courtesy of Dave Gibbons, the artist behind the Watchmen comics and a string of other adventure games from Revolution Software.

On top of new graphics the game will also get a few new puzzles and brain-teasers added in that will take advantage of the DS and Wii control methods, as well as a new sub-plot that will interweave with the original plot. Given the structure of the story and how the action plays out between the two main characters, George and Nico, we're betting that this new narrative will let players play as Nico for a bit.

The first game in the series is set to hit the Wii and DS in March 2009, but if you're can't wait for some classic adventure games then don't forget that Revolution Software has teamed up with GoodOldGames.com to release two other of Dave Gibbons' games absolutely free - Beneath a Steel Sky and Lure of the Temptress. Read more about them in yesterdays newspost and be sure to let us know what you think in the forums.

Flibblebot 19th December 2008, 12:37 Quote
Excellent! I loved Broken Sword - and it did the whole Templar conspiracy theory years before Dan Brown thought of it.
Bauul 19th December 2008, 13:29 Quote
I think the DS is a better platform for this than the Wii, but yay either way.
Veles 19th December 2008, 14:09 Quote
Originally Posted by Flibblebot

There were Templar conspiracies long before Broken Sword too y'know.

Pretty awesome news, I liked the old BS games, though I can barely remember them now.
azrael- 19th December 2008, 23:25 Quote
Fantastic games! I've played through the first 3 with the 4th waiting in the wings. I do hope Wii and DS owners will appreciate the quality of these games.

As for Dan Brown, most of the plot of The DaVinci Code was "lent" from earlier works by Michael Baigent and Henry Lincoln.
itazura 20th December 2008, 00:14 Quote
i don't remember ever playing anything beyond the first two, although they were indeed both enjoyable.

would love to play this on the ds though. i thought the strong bad adventure games were a bit of a nightmare to play on the wii, so i can't see me having a sudden change of heart with anything else of that style.
Teq 22nd December 2008, 10:15 Quote
My little brother had the first two games - absolute class, I really dont see how Lucas Arts and Sierra can say that the Adventure game genre is dead - if they stopped making crud then perhaps I'd buy it! ;) Broken Sword is up there with Blade Runner imo and I think I'd have to dig out the DS for a return...