bit-gamer.net

New Riddick game coming in 2009

New Riddick game coming in 2009

Starbreeze Studios' remake of the original Riddick game will feature an extra 10-hour campaign.

Starbreeze Studios and Atari have confirmed that the new game based on the Riddick films, Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, will be out early next year.

The game will feature not only a high definition remake of the original game, Escape from Butcher Bay, but also feature a new 10-hour campaign set on the titular Dark Athena. The new campaign will boast new gameplay mechanics, entirely new levels, enemies and puzzles too.

Assault on Dark Athena originally fell into publishing limbo after the merger of Activision and Blizzard, which saw a number of titles from third-party developers getting the boot, but has since been rescued by Atari along with other titles like the new Ghostbusters game. Other titles meanwhile, like Tim Schaefer's Brutal Legend, have not been so lucky.

Starbreeze apparently are more than happy to be working with Atari on the game as the move has allowed the developer more than an additional nine months of development time for the game.

Assault on Dark Athena looks to be taking a similar melee and stealth approach to the original game and is currently confirmed for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is often held up as one of the few actually decent game-film adaptations. Can you think of any others? Let us know in the forums.

16 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
chimaera 3rd December 2008, 12:41 Quote
I'd heard rumors of a remake of Butcher Bay which seemed a bit pointless, but I'm not going to complain about it being a pack-in with a new Riddick game. I agree its one of the few examples of a movie based game not sucking - mainly (at least in my opinion) by taking the universe presented by the film, but doing its own thing with it, rather than bodging the game into the narrative of the movie.

A game that had similar success was Bladerunner back in the late 90's, for much the same reason.
DragunovHUN 3rd December 2008, 12:49 Quote
EFBB is one of my all time favorites, can't wait to get my hands on this new one.
Skiddywinks 3rd December 2008, 14:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaera
I'd heard rumors of a remake of Butcher Bay which seemed a bit pointless, but I'm not going to complain about it being a pack-in with a new Riddick game. I agree its one of the few examples of a movie based game not sucking - mainly (at least in my opinion) by taking the universe presented by the film, but doing its own thing with it, rather than bodging the game into the narrative of the movie.

A game that had similar success was Bladerunner back in the late 90's, for much the same reason.

Exactly. The reason it is so good is because the universe is so good, and they focused on that rather than a film. If they had focused on a film, and made a game of that, then they would have had all kind of restrictions that would totally ruin the game.

But, in my opinion, that means it is not a game of a movie, so can not be used as an example of a good game-movie tie in. But it sure gives us hope for the future :p
Veles 3rd December 2008, 14:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks
Exactly. The reason it is so good is because the universe is so good, and they focused on that rather than a film. If they had focused on a film, and made a game of that, then they would have had all kind of restrictions that would totally ruin the game.

But, in my opinion, that means it is not a game of a movie, so can not be used as an example of a good game-movie tie in. But it sure gives us hope for the future :p

I agree, it's not really a game of the movie in the truest sense since it doesn't mirror the plot of the (awful) second film or the first one.
Redbeaver 3rd December 2008, 17:21 Quote
well, i actually LOVE the movies and LOVE the game...

altho i agree its 2 different approach :)
Jordan Wise 3rd December 2008, 17:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN
EFBB is one of my all time favorites, can't wait to get my hands on this new one.

was it really that good? I never got round to playing it at the time, and i'm scared of being crap because its associated with a film. I'm gunna put on my christmas list now though, i'm intrigued
DragunovHUN 3rd December 2008, 18:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Wise
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN
EFBB is one of my all time favorites, can't wait to get my hands on this new one.

was it really that good? I never got round to playing it at the time, and i'm scared of being crap because its associated with a film. I'm gunna put on my christmas list now though, i'm intrigued

Maybe time has sweetened my memories but IIRC it was quality entertainment, especially compared to today's standards. Maybe the whole sneaky-sneaky aspect became a gimmick by now but all in all it's definitely worth a try. Besides Vin Diesel is awesome.
WildThing 3rd December 2008, 19:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN
Maybe time has sweetened my memories but IIRC it was quality entertainment, especially compared to today's standards. Maybe the whole sneaky-sneaky aspect became a gimmick by now but all in all it's definitely worth a try. Besides Vin Diesel is awesome.

Yeah I too thought it was a great game, and to hear that I can play a remastered version, and a completely new one too, is very exciting.
chimaera 3rd December 2008, 19:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Wise
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN
EFBB is one of my all time favorites, can't wait to get my hands on this new one.

was it really that good? I never got round to playing it at the time, and i'm scared of being crap because its associated with a film. I'm gunna put on my christmas list now though, i'm intrigued

It only bears the name of the series, and Vin Diesel's likeness as Riddick - it's actually a prequel, set before the events of Pitch Black. It's also a stonkingly good game :)
Shadowed_fury 3rd December 2008, 20:32 Quote
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop

:D
Zeus-Nolan 3rd December 2008, 20:58 Quote
I heard about this ages ago and have been waiting ever since and that fact that i loved it on xbox can't wait :)
Sathy 3rd December 2008, 22:03 Quote
Yeah, the "original" EFBB was definitely an above average shooter/first-person-type-a-game with a very unique feel to it thanks to the setting. I have to say the news mentioning it as a film-game adaptation is slightly misleading though, as others have mentioned the only link is the universe and the main character + a few others.

If you haven't played it and like FPS + Riddick as a character, I would recommend checking it out for sure.
Sathy 3rd December 2008, 22:05 Quote
Oh and completely forgot to say that this news is great, though having EFBB bundled with the new stuff is a bit odd, but seeing as it was most likely missed by a lot of people, I guess it serves a purpose. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out, go Atari (for a change)!
docodine 4th December 2008, 01:30 Quote
Nice! I played the EFBB demo and loved it, but this was a long time ago. I look forward to playing the game on a newer console. :D
Dr. Strangelove 4th December 2008, 16:26 Quote
never played the game, but loved the films.. so I just hope this means that make another riddick movie :D
impar 13th April 2009, 12:30 Quote
Greetings!
Quote:
DRM limits Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena to 3 installs

Apparently Atari hasn't learned from EA's DRM fiasco with Spore last year, shipping the PC version of Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena with DRM that limits the number of game activations to just three PCs. The game doesn't ship with a revoke tool to deauthorize machines, so you're basically limited to 3 installs.

Pity. Seemed an interesting game...

PS:
http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Riddick-Assault-Dark-Athena/product-reviews/B001L18SBK/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums