bit-gamer.net

Will Wright: You'll never see everything in Spore

Will Wright: You'll never see everything in Spore

Spore will also feature a MashOn utility for creating comics about your creations.

Speaking during an hour-long presentation of the massively anticipated Spore at Comic-Con 2008, Will Wright said that the game is so big and so massively populated with content now that even if you played the game for your entire life then you would still not see everything according to Eurogamer

Spore may not be available to buy just yet, but the Creature Creator demo is and EA has cunningly tied that into the full-game. Content created in the demo is already being uploaded and used to populate the servers of the Sporepedia.

Spore is a game which allows players to experiment with evolution, taking an alien race from a single cell and evolving it up into an alien creature though powerful but easy to use design tools.

The game then continues to zoom out - you go from controlling one creature, to a small family, a small city and eventually an entire ecosystem. As your race begins to spread across the galaxy, you can experiment with the laws of nature.

Will Wright said that this focus means the game is more of an interactive toy than a game, which he sees as integral to the success of the title. The entire game is built around teaching basic concepts of science, such as evolution, through fun and interactive means - making it a very educational game suitable for all audiences.

Will was sure to keep the demonstration relevant to the Comic-Con show however and showcased one of the new features to the game, a utility called MashOn which is an in-game tool for creating simple comic books and adventure stories about your creations by using images and video taken from the game.

If you want to know still more about Spore then you can check out our extensive hands-on preview of Spore.

Do you believe in evolution? Are you looking forward to Spore? Let us know in the forums.

24 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Timmy_the_tortoise 28th July 2008, 11:56 Quote
That sounds like a challenge..

Tell Willy-boy that I accept.
M4RTIN 28th July 2008, 12:09 Quote
If that is actually true well color me impressed
Paradigm Shifter 28th July 2008, 12:17 Quote
Hm. Sounds like someone is going to try to prove him wrong...

Although... my interest in Spore has all but gone. Ah well, it'll save me some cash, if nothing else.
Mentai 28th July 2008, 13:02 Quote
"Do you believe in evolution?"

Are you looking for a flame war? I for one, will not partake, no comment!
Spore has its ups and downs for me in terms of anticipation. I had huge interest about 2 years ago when i saw it all explained in a 20min vid. Since then interest has dwindled to ignoring news about it. But then all the gaming sites I frequent keep naming it as the game of E3 this year etc etc, so I will start following it again and see how it reviews. If it turns out not enjoyable for me, I'll give it to my sister, she loves the sims xD
Jordan Wise 28th July 2008, 13:16 Quote
Oh no. He's just indirectly caused quite a few people to sacrifice their future real lives just to prove him wrong. The poor things
chrisb2e9 28th July 2008, 14:11 Quote
Wil Wright said
Quote:
Blah Blah Blah...
I dont listen to him anymore.
Timmy_the_tortoise 28th July 2008, 14:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Wise
Oh no. He's just indirectly caused quite a few people to sacrifice their future real lives just to prove him wrong. The poor things

You are so wise, Jordan...

... So wise.
Jordan Wise 28th July 2008, 14:37 Quote
by name and nature
Yemerich 28th July 2008, 15:37 Quote
I think he states that it is impossible to know everything in the game because more of the creature creator than the game itself. That said because one can create countless creatures. I really doubt (i can even bet) that the game is much bigger than "the sims" is if there were NO creature creator.
Yemerich 28th July 2008, 15:39 Quote
But again a game that must be really fun to play and i am eager to see it in my compie :D
Joeymac 28th July 2008, 15:59 Quote
Ironic that a game teaching evolution puts you into the position of playing god... also creationists will probably leap on this game as a demo of "intelligent design"...... or at least they would do that if they weren't universally retarded.
johnmustrule 28th July 2008, 16:01 Quote
Hopefully there will be a "disasters" thing reminecent of simcity games. Meaning my spore creatures will definatly be feeling the heavy hand of darwinism. >:D
CardJoe 28th July 2008, 16:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymac
Ironic that a game teaching evolution puts you into the position of playing god

It doesn't. You aren't worshipped or even acknowledged by your creatures. You aren't ever identified by the game either. You could just as easily interpret your own influence another way.
Strages 28th July 2008, 19:22 Quote
Joeymac, DON"T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!!!!
ParaHelix.org 28th July 2008, 22:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
It doesn't. You aren't worshipped or even acknowledged by your creatures. You aren't ever identified by the game either. You could just as easily interpret your own influence another way.

I don't think he meant it like you perceived it my friend. The term "playing god" meant you choose how the creatures developed, or how they were initially created, not as a figure of worship but as a being with power over others. Hope this cleared that up.
LordPyrinc 29th July 2008, 00:01 Quote
I'm definitely looking forward to wasting many hours of my life on this game... assuming its as good as I hope it is.
BurningFeetMan 29th July 2008, 00:14 Quote
Quote:
Do you believe in evolution? Are you looking forward to Spore?

I believe in EA milking this game for everything it's got. I'm extremely disappointed at the unoriginality of the creature creature. At the end of the day, it's a simple drag and drop affair of a limited amount of a handful of parts. Half the parts are unuseful, and the actual creator system doesn't make sense. Well, not yet it doesn't... why do legs cost $25 game money, and who am I paying the $25 game money to? But that's besides the point that the creator is very limited.

Other things that I get annoyed at are simple ideas, yet over looked? Such as, you can not dictate how your creature walks. First thing that comes to mind is a crab like creature. It walks sideways. It also has one claw bigger than the other! Also, the fact I have to improvise parts with other body parts shows a distinct lack of function. Whale fins for ribs? Ears for Eye Brows? Why not give users the option of ribs. Why not give us the option of REAL eye brows?

I PREDICT: Expansion packs. Want to finally put eye brows on your creature? Pay $25 and you can have them. Want to make a REAL flying creature, that actually flys, with 20 assorted types of wings to choose from and use? EA can sort that out for you for an extra 50 bucks...

I don't trust EA. I don't like EA. I will NEVER forgive Maxis for selling out to the ****ing devil of gaming.
Joeymac 29th July 2008, 16:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
It doesn't. You aren't worshipped or even acknowledged by your creatures. You aren't ever identified by the game either. You could just as easily interpret your own influence another way.

What parahelix said.. you play the "designer".. god in other words. I didn't mean the character of god with a fluffy white beard.

The fact that their influence at all makes this an ID simulator not an evolution simulator. Which makes me throw up a bit in my mouth... but I'm looking forward to the game and it'll still be the first PC game I've purchased in about two years.
CardJoe 29th July 2008, 16:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningFeetMan
I believe in EA milking this game for everything it's got. I'm extremely disappointed at the unoriginality of the creature creature. At the end of the day, it's a simple drag and drop affair of a limited amount of a handful of parts. Half the parts are unuseful, and the actual creator system doesn't make sense. Well, not yet it doesn't... why do legs cost $25 game money, and who am I paying the $25 game money to? But that's besides the point that the creator is very limited.

Most of the parts are useful, though granted you don't see how useful until later stages where you actually control your creature and use it to hunt, reproduce and socialise. Either way though - what's wrong with cosmetic components?

The in-game money isn't actually money though, it's genetic potential and a way to limit you from creating impossibly complex creatures which are made from a thousand pairs of legs. Legs cost because they have an important function - the more you have and the different type you have effect your movement speed on terrain, which influences hunting and so on. Thus, the good stuff costs a lot. The good news is that you can harvest the money yourself in the Cellular stage as you start to evolve.
Quote:
Other things that I get annoyed at are simple ideas, yet over looked? Such as, you can not dictate how your creature walks. First thing that comes to mind is a crab like creature. It walks sideways. It also has one claw bigger than the other! Also, the fact I have to improvise parts with other body parts shows a distinct lack of function. Whale fins for ribs? Ears for Eye Brows? Why not give users the option of ribs. Why not give us the option of REAL eye brows?

Sure, you could do all that stuff - but this is the mass-appeal design that EA has chosen. There are games out there which go into incredible (Read: Biogenetic) detail if you want them, and they didn't sell well. The whole idea of Spore is it appeals to a huge audience, so why limit that with complexity? The fact that you could dictate animations is laughable too - this is a game, not an animation tool. That kind of thing is too complex to integrate into a game, which is why expansion packs for Spore will likely consist of tools to let players create their own animations, arms and so in Maya and the like.
Quote:
I PREDICT: Expansion packs. Want to finally put eye brows on your creature? Pay $25 and you can have them. Want to make a REAL flying creature, that actually flys, with 20 assorted types of wings to choose from and use? EA can sort that out for you for an extra 50 bucks...

Likely, although functional wings are actually included in the full game. Expansion packs aren't required though - the game works, everything else is optional content. You don't have to have it. From what I've heard though, the expansion pack won't be "Christmas Content Pack", but "Tool Plugin Pack", allowing people to create their own limbs and animations to include in the creator mode. Ways to upload and export/import new content to the game. It's a PC game anyway, so mods are expected.
Quote:
I don't trust EA. I don't like EA. I will NEVER forgive Maxis for selling out to the ****ing devil of gaming.

Reeks of inherent bias, tbh.
zeroinfinity 29th July 2008, 16:36 Quote
Unlke some of you, I'm really looking forward to this game. If you haven't yet, watch this video: http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=8372603330420559198

It's everything I've ever wanted to play in a simulation game and more.
BurningFeetMan 30th July 2008, 04:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Most of the parts are useful, though granted you don't see how useful until later stages where you actually control your creature and use it to hunt, reproduce and socialise. Either way though - what's wrong with cosmetic components?

Usefulness of parts can be debated until the cows come home. I'm just confused as why they'd include things such as wings, and fins, when we're creating land based aliens. There is the illusion of flying/floating aliens, but this is a work around and not a feature of the game. I don't understand why the game developers, didn't sit down, and segregate types of aliens, Water, Land & Flying... Instead, we're left with a land creature creator, with components such as fins and wings to use... I ended up using my fin decals to represent protruding ribs... not for my creatures swimming abilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe

The in-game money isn't actually money though, it's genetic potential and a way to limit you from creating impossibly complex creatures which are made from a thousand pairs of legs. Legs cost because they have an important function - the more you have and the different type you have effect your movement speed on terrain, which influences hunting and so on. Thus, the good stuff costs a lot. The good news is that you can harvest the money yourself in the Cellular stage as you start to evolve.

I thought the DNA string in the top right of the screen was an interesting concept, and a good way to limit the excessive design of creatures. I'm somewhat confused still as to why they partnered this with a second "money DNA coin" system. To me, money seems out of place in a game where you're designing aliens to populate an entire universe. Maybe it'll make more sense in the full version of the game... but I still don't see how. For an idea as big as SPORE, a simple money system to limit design seems out of place, especially when they've got one already implemented (The DNA strange in the top right corner)! It just seems strange to me, that there's two things to watch, the DNA complexity metre AND my DNA money budget, when designing creatures. It may make more sense in the full game, as with your example of the given game play on the cellar, and other levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Sure, you could do all that stuff - but this is the mass-appeal design that EA has chosen. There are games out there which go into incredible (Read: Biogenetic) detail if you want them, and they didn't sell well. The whole idea of Spore is it appeals to a huge audience, so why limit that with complexity? The fact that you could dictate animations is laughable too - this is a game, not an animation tool. That kind of thing is too complex to integrate into a game, which is why expansion packs for Spore will likely consist of tools to let players create their own animations, arms and so in Maya and the like.

Would you mind posting a couple of games that you know of? I did a quick google, but didn't find much. The last creature design game I played was probably about 2 decades ago. I remember you designed a dinosaur type creature, and then ran around eating other dinosaurs! I can't remember what it was called...

Mass-appeal design. Instantly I've already thought of how things could/should/would have been done better in SPORE from a game players perspective, but apparently this wouldn't have mass-appeal? Like hell it wouldn't. I crawled the web and found many people, like myself, who have tried to do the things I've wanted to do with the creature creature, and found out we can't. I'm not alone regarding my disappointment. Mass-disappointment?

For someone like me, who develops and designs in industry for his day job, I find that the creature creator lacks many things... and I was especially bored with its drag and drop affair of body parts. It is extensively limited, and a lot of the creatures I see that are "cool" are using work arounds. They look ridiculously stupid (ie, crap) when animated and walking around as their decals clip and move oddly and mess things up. It's impossible to make something sleek and agile like a Cheater, or something square and alien looking, like Domokun. Or take my crab monster. I can never make a crab monster to dominate our Universe with. Well, not one that walks sideways with one claw larger than the other. :( Even the texturing system is limited and predefined to a handful of patterns. Green blood would have been nice too, or blue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe

Likely, although functional wings are actually included in the full game. Expansion packs aren't required though - the game works, everything else is optional content. You don't have to have it. From what I've heard though, the expansion pack won't be "Christmas Content Pack", but "Tool Plugin Pack", allowing people to create their own limbs and animations to include in the creator mode. Ways to upload and export/import new content to the game. It's a PC game anyway, so mods are expected.

The wings included are not functional, they're simply decals. They don't flap, they're not functioning limbs. I think if anything they give the attribute +1 for jumping higher? If the Sims, Battlefield, Simcity 4, are anything to go off, there will be expansion packs. In my opinion, expansion packs are poor form from the consumer view point, and why they're so widely accepted I will never understand. Obviously not all expansion packs are the same. Take the Half Life 2 Episodes for example, which were decent sized games offered at a relatively cheap price. But I've a gut feeling that SPORE is being specifically expansion pack orientated. Reduce the original content, release it later in an expansion pack to make another buck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Reeks of inherent bias, tbh.

Reeks of cash for comments tbh. My opinion is as valid as the next. Would you prefer I just sat back and typed "ZOMG SPORE!!!11 LOOKS AWESOME"!!! ?
zeroinfinity 30th July 2008, 05:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningFeetMan
I thought the DNA string in the top right of the screen was an interesting concept, and a good way to limit the excessive design of creatures. I'm somewhat confused still as to why they partnered this with a second "money DNA coin" system. To me, money seems out of place in a game where you're designing aliens to populate an entire universe. Maybe it'll make more sense in the full version of the game... but I still don't see how. For an idea as big as SPORE, a simple money system to limit design seems out of place, especially when they've got one already implemented (The DNA strange in the top right corner)! It just seems strange to me, that there's two things to watch, the DNA complexity metre AND my DNA money budget, when designing creatures. It may make more sense in the full game, as with your example of the given game play on the cellar, and other levels.

I've designed creatures in the creature creator demo, and I've been able to do whatever I wanted and not had to worry about the money system (because I never reached the limit). It's really not that big of a deal, unless you want 30 pairs of eyes and 60 pairs of arms and legs (which would be ridiculous on the system resources). But, the game is not out yet, so it's quite pointless to complain or debate about things we simply don't know yet. SPORE!!!!1!11 1 !!1

:)
CardJoe 30th July 2008, 06:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningFeetMan

Reeks of cash for comments tbh. My opinion is as valid as the next. Would you prefer I just sat back and typed "ZOMG SPORE!!!11 LOOKS AWESOME"!!! ?

Not at all, I'm just pointing out that although your opinion is valid, there does seem to be a bias.

Wings ARE a part of the full game and, having played the full game, I can confirm that I've made flying creatures. The 'wings' that are in the demo at the moment are not actually wins - they are cosmetic, but there are useable wings in the full game.

If you want realism and complexity, you're basically looking in the wrong place. Try this:

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?name=G-Netix
impar 30th July 2008, 10:48 Quote
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningFeetMan
I don't understand why the game developers, didn't sit down, and segregate types of aliens, Water, Land & Flying...
Probably left those for the expansion packs.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums