Splinter Cell: Conviction delayed

Splinter Cell: Conviction delayed

Splinter Cell: Conviction has been delayed until at least April 2009.

Ubisoft has announced today that Splinter Cell: Conviction, the latest game in the ever-expanding series of Tom Clancy stealth-em-ups, has been significantly delayed and is now set for a release in Ubisoft's next fiscal year.

For those of you who aren't too clued in on your accounting calendars (tsk) that means that the earliest anyone can expect to see Splinter Cell: Conviction is in April of 2009.

Rumours of Conviction's delays have been circulating for some time and though we saw the game on show at Ubidays 2007, it's been all quiet on the western front ever since.

Even though we were looking at a very early build back then though, it was still clear that Conviction had managed to fall out of touch with some of the basic premises of the Splinter Cell franchise - like the whole stealth aspect.

The fact that the game wasn't on show at Ubidays this year, nor at E3 2008, goes to show that perhaps the developers have realised this and are rebuilding the game to be more of an espionage masterpiece and less of a 'Sam Fisher the Hobo fights with bins' type of game. Fingers crossed.

Are you a big fan of the Splinter Cell games, or is Thief or Metal Gear Solid more your cup of shadowy tea? Let us know what you think in the forums.

Paradigm Shifter 25th July 2008, 10:30 Quote
I quite enjoyed the earlier ones, but they do seem to be moving away from what originally seemed to be the whole point of the Splinter Cell games. Maybe you're right; they've realised this and are trying to fix it.
cjoyce1980 25th July 2008, 10:36 Quote
i'm just hoping that this game should be well rounded and polished by the time its released
Paradigm Shifter 25th July 2008, 10:41 Quote
Polished?

Isn't that what patches are for? :)
r4tch3t 25th July 2008, 10:47 Quote
Never played a splinter cell before, Metal gear is much more to my liking from what I have seen.
sotu1 25th July 2008, 10:48 Quote
forgive me for being dumb, but how does it affect a company if a game is released in a different fiscal year?
r4tch3t 25th July 2008, 10:55 Quote
It means that all the profit from the game is in that year instead of being split over two years. This makes it more attractive to the shareholders.
zimbloggy 25th July 2008, 16:03 Quote
I liked the idea of them changing game concepts to 'Sam Fisher the Hobo fights with bins'

The point was that they were still keeping the game about stealth- just stealth in a different way. You would be hiding in crowds instead of shadows.

I guess people won't be happy until they redo the same old game concept over and over until people get so sick of it that they decide to play a game like unreal tournament.
Krikkit 25th July 2008, 16:06 Quote
It's all very well saying "stealth in a different way", but the pinnacle of the series was the tactical stealth of the 1st/2nd/3rd, rather than the last game, which sucked. Alright, it might work, but we don't want that to be the only mechanic in the whole game.
pcgamez 25th July 2008, 19:20 Quote
Hmm, quite frustrating they haven't release a splinter cell since 2005
glaeken 28th July 2008, 01:20 Quote
I kind of liked the new direction that the game was taking. After playing the disasterous pos that was Double Agent, I was happy to see a new direction. But if they can bring back all the elements that made the original and Chaos Theory such good games, I guess I won't mind.
Timmy_the_tortoise 28th July 2008, 11:49 Quote
The series fell as soon as they tried a sequel. The original Splinter Cell was great.. They should've left it at that.
Paradigm Shifter 28th July 2008, 12:21 Quote
Originally Posted by Timmy_the_tortoise

I dunno, I liked some of the things they added to Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory. Or I did at the time... I'm having trouble remembering exactly what things they added. :o