New Wolfenstein game detailed

New Wolfenstein game detailed

The new Wolfenstein game will feature sandbox environments and a new gameplay mechanic called The Shroud.

The first details on the new Castle Wolfenstein game from id Software and Raven have started to slip out in the run-up to E3 and though there's still no information of a release date, it does seem that the game is being taken in a slightly new direction to the classic titles.

Plot-wise, the yet-to-be-officially-named Return of the Return to Castle Wolfenstein is pretty much what you'd expect; BJ Blaskowitz, Nazis, and lots of creepy shenanigans and goin's on. Definitely expect to be going up against Nazi Ubermensch and zombies of some description.

However, where it gets really interesting is in the gameplay changes. Wolfenstein is being developed not by id Software, but by best-buddy Raven and the change of hands has been evidenced in the gameplay.

According to the latest issue of US magazine Game Informer, Wolfenstein will feature a more sandbox type of level structure and the game will be set in a free-roaming city, with new areas opening up as missions are completed.

The game is also set to showcase some rather decent AI in the form of a resistance force that will accompany the player throughout the story. The major gameplay element though is set to be a new mechanic called 'The Shroud', which will give the player the ability to interact with a darker, alternate reality version of the city.

The game is currently slated for the PlayStation 3, PC and Xbox 360, but no release date has been specified. Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

Mister_X 14th July 2008, 10:38 Quote
Sounding interesting and long overdue for some more Wolfenstein
Denis_iii 14th July 2008, 10:53 Quote
i'm intrigued as to how it turns out, I didn't enjoy the last Wolfenstein at all, would rather have a laugh and play the origanal.
As long as Hitlers init towering 15ft and has 4 gattling guns for arms I'll be happy.
Burnout21 14th July 2008, 11:17 Quote
Ya i love wolfinstein!!! great games!
Narishma 14th July 2008, 11:29 Quote
"Wolfenstein is being developed not by id Software, but by best-buddy Raven and the change of hands has been evidenced in the gameplay. "

The last Wolfenstein (RTCW) wasn't developed by id either. The single player was done by Gray Matter something (now part of Treyarch) and the multiplayer by Nerve.
BlackMage23 14th July 2008, 11:35 Quote
I missed the first game, but did enjoy Return.
This should be good, but what will they call it? Re-Return to Castle Wolfstein?
Timmy_the_tortoise 14th July 2008, 12:14 Quote
Not a big fan of Wolfenstein due to the whole alternative history thing.. but this sounds interesting.
Paradigm Shifter 14th July 2008, 12:16 Quote
Loved Wolf 3D... wasn't ultra-enthused about RTCW in some places, but in others it was good... will look forward to another, provided they don't make this one even more dark and gloomy than RTCW, Doom 3, etc...
Delphium 14th July 2008, 12:39 Quote
More Wolf... made by Raven?! W00000T :D

Could do with more goul engine being implimented x]
deltaworld 14th July 2008, 13:09 Quote
Yes I hope they do use the latest iD engine so it looks like Quake: Enemy Territory. It will be FAB.. What is ID up to nowadays have they got a game lined up to come out soon?
TreeDude 14th July 2008, 13:48 Quote
I played the hell out of RTCW on my Xbox. It was a great multiplayer game. I hope we get some cross platform multiplayer out of this. I can't stand the fact that the community gets divided by their platform of choice. Of coarse I am PC all the way.
Timmy_the_tortoise 14th July 2008, 14:17 Quote
Originally Posted by TreeDude

Aye.. I'm gonna have to get Left4Dead on both 360 and PC so's I can play with all my friends.
p3ri0d 14th July 2008, 14:28 Quote
I loved the W:ET, and used to play it alot hehe.

I hope this one will be great too ;)
Narishma 14th July 2008, 15:31 Quote
deltaworld: Were you living under a rock or something? :p They have 3 games coming out: Quake Live, Rage and Doom 4.
pendragon 14th July 2008, 18:31 Quote
ahhh Wolfenstein 3D ... <gets all nostalgic> ... never really played the Return game... this sounds interesting.. hopefully it just doesnt become another Call Of Duty clone
SupReme 14th July 2008, 20:16 Quote
I like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory much, i hope the multiplayer will be somewhat like it. :P
r4tch3t 14th July 2008, 22:39 Quote
I am currently saving my pennies so I can get the ID super pack off Steam. Commander Keen FTW.
Will be looking forward to the new Wolfenstein game.
proxess 15th July 2008, 02:38 Quote
multiplatform? please? i hope so!
$SOLID$ Necro 15th July 2008, 03:10 Quote
I have a RTCW ET clan from way back to 2001 or so, and though I am the last active member (Still play ET every night) I am sure it will bring it a few of the old members back in the "Ring"

A while back I found some early artwork pics, and have posted them on my site, I am not sure if they will make it in the game or not, but they are the only thing you can go by for now :p

http://groups.msn.com/SOLIDRTCW/rtcw2.msnw (6 Pics)

I can't wait to see the updated graphics, but I am disapointed you have a "Squad" with you, I prefer the lone wolf deal for single player, team based multiplayer is what you need for a squad, most of the "AI" I have seen in the past works against you half the time :'((Quake 4)

This stuff is from 2005....It could be relevent if the game comes out this year, if it's one of those, well it will be out in 2010, then prolly not.

RTCW 2 FAQ

High res downloadable pics
ComputerKing 15th July 2008, 03:23 Quote
ET is the best, I knew IT throw My friend $SOLID$ Necro We played it tougther for some time But MY high ping screwed us over
Amon 15th July 2008, 05:28 Quote
Der Fuhrer Strikes Back?
kingred 17th July 2008, 14:13 Quote
you haters make me spit, rtcw had a fantastic single player side, from sneaking into rocket bases to chasing uber soldats across norway, shocking. rtcw:ET i still regularly play, mainly because its brilliant and its only competition is tf2.