Beyond Good and Evil 2 confirmed

Beyond Good and Evil 2 confirmed

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is currently in pre-production according to game designer Michel Ancel.

It's something we've secretly been expecting for the last few months now, but that didn't stop us (well, OK, me) from leaping for joy when we found out that Beyond Good & Evil is getting a sequel.

Well, kind of.

Series creator Michel Ancel recently spoke to French games magazine JeuxVideo and confirmed that yes, a Beyond Good and Evil 2 is in development. More than that in fact, the game has been secretly in development for the past year, with 12 staff working on pre-production for the game.

Given that the original Beyond Good & Evil was such an utterly fantastic and under-rated game, this can only be good news, right? Well, yes, kind of. Unfortunately, Ancel has admitted that the bosses at Ubisoft haven't yet given the game the full go-ahead yet and the game is therefore still unconfirmed, though at least it's a confirmed unconfirmed though now.

For those of you who aren't in the know, suffice it to say that Beyond Good & Evil is one the best games you've never played. That's why we included it in a feature under the same name.

The original Beyond Good and Evil cast players as Jade, a reporter on a planet at war being invaded by an alien threat. Rather than being a predictable all-out shooter though, the game was a stealthy 3D platformer that saw players trying to harness the power of the media to fight the threat. Your camera was a much more effective weapon for Jade than any ray-gun. It also happened to be one of the most gut-wrenchingly emotional games I've ever played.

You can pick up the original game for under £5 now in the UK, so there's no reason not to buy a copy and share your thoughts of the criminally under-appreciated masterpiece in the forums.

Azmat 15th May 2008, 16:26 Quote
I played the game when it released on xbox. I truly loved it, the atmosphere was really good and so was the story.
Im glad to hear a second one is in the works. Here's hoping it'll deliver :)
Darkedge 15th May 2008, 16:47 Quote
being worked on but not in full production yet :( damn
Flibblebot 15th May 2008, 16:53 Quote
Do you always talk about yourself in the third person? That's either over-excitement or a sign of impending madness - or, more likely, a bit of both.

I played the original back in the day but never got round to finishing it. Perhaps I should dig the disc out and give it another whirl before the sequel comes along.

It'd be a damn shame if this game doesn't get a sequel, especially when you compare it to some of the dross that gets sequels (some developers appear to use the first iteration of a game as an extended beta test)
gm_crop 15th May 2008, 17:27 Quote
No doubt it's a very very good game (a little bit Porco Rosso- no bad thing), but "gut-wrenchingly emotional"? I'm not so sure. I think his crush on Jade has given Joe some very rose tinted glasses. <prepares to have his account deleted>
CardJoe 15th May 2008, 17:36 Quote
I really did find it gut-wrenching - I was literally in tears at two points in the game when the orphanage is destroyed and ..not telling..., but that's why I like it so much. No other game has actually had me sobbing except for this one, which is actually quite staggering. Rose-tinted glasses probably have a little bit of an effect, but it is a great game and though the very final minute is a bit of a letdown, the first 10 hours are a through exercise in excellent game design. Ancel deserved the French knighthood he got for the game.
devdevil85 15th May 2008, 17:43 Quote
My friend has this on PS2. I'll have to play it in "HD" on his PS3 sometime.....
Veles 15th May 2008, 18:46 Quote
Awesome, I should really get round to finishing it, I enjoyed what I played of it, very fun game.
Jordan Wise 15th May 2008, 19:00 Quote
it on the post-exam list, along with psyconauts and ico
Bladestorm 15th May 2008, 19:14 Quote
Awesome. Awesome game, will be awesome to have a sequel!
stephen2002 15th May 2008, 23:35 Quote
I was incredibly dissapointed when the BGE series got canned in favor of Prince of Persia. I am so looking forward to its return!
wuyanxu 16th May 2008, 01:41 Quote
best. game. ever. played!

and now a sequel!

BUT, i shall not get my hopes up, as high hopes always ends in disappointment
g3n3tiX 28th May 2008, 21:12 Quote
The Trailer aired on UbiDays...Featuring Payj in a in game engine cinematic....But Jade was seen but not shown precisely.
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=152134 (thread I made about it)