Fallout 3 to have over 200 endings

Fallout 3 to have over 200 endings

Fallout 3 is said to have more than 200 endings at the moment, with the game still in development.

Todd Howard of Bethesda Softworks is someone I respect hugely, so when he claims that the current build of Fallout 3 has over 200 endings and that that is not an exaggeration, I'm more than willing to believe him.

Speaking on an OXM podcast (around the 35 minute point), Howard let slip a few details on the highly anticipated sequel to the seminal Fallout series that Bethesda recently acquired. First of all Howard confirms that Fallout 3 is currently twice as big as he had anticipated, that the play area is roughly the same as in Oblivion and that there's easily a hundred hours of gameplay in it.

"Being that we are Bethesda, everything gets a bit big. So as of last week, we're over 200 endings. That is not an exaggeration, but it deserves some descriptions," said Howard.

Howard went on to clarify how the endings will work exactly, saying the end-game would function the same as in the first two games. For the uninitiated, that means that all the main events and locations in the game will have a variety of seperate endings, which are then combined with each other to match the players actions.

For example, in Fallout 2 you could save or damn the town of Gecko in a number of ways, each providing a different ending. You could also aid or annihilate the town of Redding. The endings would then be linked together for all twenty or so locations and main quests so that the player would end up with a very personalised experience made by linking these multiple endings together. The same method will be used in Fallout 3.

With the game slated for a late 2008 release on Xbox 360, PC and PlayStation 3, there's still plenty of time to get familiar with the old Fallout games and you can pick them up for a song now too. It all depends on how big a Bethesda fan you are, so let us know in the forums.

steveo_mcg 26th March 2008, 11:52 Quote
But how many will be variations on "game over" :p
CardJoe 26th March 2008, 12:04 Quote
I think there was about twenty five different game over narrations in Fallout 2. They ranged from "Your bullet ridden corpse now lies forgotten in the desert, lost amid the background radiation" to "You have failed in your quest. Arroyo is doomed without you."
steveo_mcg 26th March 2008, 12:22 Quote
I think i seen more of those than i did the proper endings, never did know when to walk run away.
Tyrmot 26th March 2008, 12:39 Quote
Surely this could be the best game of 2008... I really really really really really really really really really hope they don't mess it up!
chrisb2e9 26th March 2008, 13:23 Quote
god I hope this game is as good as it should be. this is the one and only game that I have any hope for now.
I think 200 endings is a little much though, 50 good endings would be better than 200 weak endings.
I am betting that they are all just slight variations of each other.
CardJoe 26th March 2008, 14:13 Quote
Yes, but thats the point. There was at least 100 possible endings in Fallout 2, adding and taking and tweaking based on who you met, slept with, killed, helped, hindered, etc.
devdevil85 26th March 2008, 14:16 Quote
I hope they allow M+K support on the PS3 like they did Oblivion.....as I won't have a good enough rig by the time this comes out.....
HourBeforeDawn 26th March 2008, 17:16 Quote
I guess this will give it a little more replay value to say the least.
Cadillac Ferd 26th March 2008, 17:30 Quote
Argh! I wish this game would come out nowish while I still have the cash to pay for it!
Jordan Wise 26th March 2008, 21:03 Quote
lets hope there isn't another one of those headlines where 'x game is not going to be released for the pc after all'.
Yemerich 26th March 2008, 22:19 Quote
It's obvious that Beth was hoping to sell to the consoles from the beggining. and all that Sweeney talk should scare the game industry mercenaries. I think a good RPG will never run as smooth as it does in the PC.

Another thing to point is that Beth compares too much FO3 with TES4. With all this focus on Oblivion success i can almost bet that FO3 won't be as fun as previous games to the average (not the hardcore) FO fan. BUT, i hope i am wrong. I really do...
Tulatin 27th March 2008, 02:39 Quote
Mm, another bigass world? Well, by the time I'm done Oblivion (granted, being a Khajit Thief, at level 40 in about 35 hours... It all becomes exploration) I'll have another giant realm to get lost in - and with this being Behedesa - no asinine copy protection.
Veles 27th March 2008, 03:04 Quote
I do hope they can pull this off well, I was sorely disappointed with Oblivion when that came out, the levelled enemies just ruined the game IMO. Going out to level up a bit after finding a place was too hard, coming back and now finding it even harder was rather annoying, I hope they don't make that mistake with FO3. The changes they have made to the game mechanics don't bother me too much, FO has always been about the story and setting first IMO, so long as they get that right, the combat mechanics don't really bother me.
CardJoe 27th March 2008, 07:43 Quote
Originally Posted by Veles

QFT, though for me levelling had the opposite effect. I just existed in a permanent state of non-challenge, my archer always ready to run backwards indefinitely while firing arrows. I started to get really annoyed when highwaymen and common thugs appeared wearing full ebony armour.