Sega details Aliens: Colonial Marines

Sega details Aliens: Colonial Marines

Alien versus Marines - what else do you really need to know?

Sega has today slipped out a few details on it's new Aliens game, which is scheduled for release in late 2008 on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The game is being developed by Gearbox Software, makers of the Half-Life: Opposing Force expansion pack.

In a statement released to the press today, Sega were keen to stress that they are not making an Aliens Versus Predator game and that Aliens: Colonial Marines will remain separate from that franchise.

With a story written by Bradley Thompson and David Weddle, the game will focus on a squad of Colonial Marines who must fend off a xenomorph infestation of massive proportions. The game will be played from the FPS perspective, but will feature extensive squad based tactics as players are forced to rely on AI driven allies to survive the assault.

The game will also feature everything you'd expect of an Aliens game - flamethrowers, pulse rifles and foreboding, claustrophobic environments which put the Marines on the defensive against this unfamiliar enemy.

The game is confirmed to have a cohesive, story-driven singleplayer game but, more importantly, four player co-op is also on the cards with each player taking a specific role in the squad. Multiplayer is confirmed too, but details aren't yet available.

So, what do you reckon to the game? Sound like your kind of thing, or were you hopping for something a little more predatory, if you get my meaning? Let us know in the forums.

rjkoneill 22nd February 2008, 12:15 Quote
this is either going to be a massive dissapointment or a major hit

lets just hope they give it the polish it deserves and it isnt just a shameless cash in on what SHOULD be a prestigeous license
UncertainGod 22nd February 2008, 12:44 Quote
Sounds good, just don't screw it up.
knowyourenemy 22nd February 2008, 13:03 Quote
I was hoping for an Aliens vs. Colonial American Militia game.
p3n 22nd February 2008, 14:48 Quote
neeed! I remember my friend in secondary school had a HLDM clan called CM >8]

"THEY'RE COMING OUTA THE WALLS"
Redbeaver 22nd February 2008, 15:45 Quote
AvP was one of the best game ever.

hope they dont screw this up.
johnnyboy700 22nd February 2008, 19:36 Quote
OMFG!!!!! I can't wait for this, even if its crap I'll still buy it.

I thought AvP was just brilliant, I loved the fear the motion tracker created when it went off when it picked up an Alien and it was racing towards you - boy were those buggers fast! I also thought the game did a fantastic job of recreating the sets from the films, especially the colony from Aliens, even down to the rain and the winds.
The only thing I didn't like about the game was the really bad voice acting of the character who was giving your marine character instructions at the start of the game - just appalingly cheesy. It was like something out of one of those awful direct to video films that they show late at night on the obscure satellite channels.

I never did get the hang of playing the game as an Alien, I think it was because I couldn't always remember to move in three dimensions and be just at home running along the walls and ceilings as well as the floor.
TomH 22nd February 2008, 21:20 Quote
Oh I know what film I'm watching tonight..

"The Sarge is down, let's get the f*** outta here!!"
airchie 22nd February 2008, 21:52 Quote
I like to keep this handy, for close encounters
cheesecake central! :)

Can't find my discs though, might have to go download the original AvP game while watching Aliens Special Edition.
Special Edition is sooo much better even though there's not much changed. :)
DarkLord7854 23rd February 2008, 02:40 Quote
Co-op and squad-based sounds cool, but I remember that in the AvP games.. what really got your adrenaline coursing was the fact that you were always very much alone.
Cabe 23rd February 2008, 05:27 Quote
Praise all thats holy, co-op again.

In AvP the co-op mode was utterly hilarious, bip...bip...bipp....was that you on my scanner...nope....shi...[queue smart gun rattling off a keg] the Evac missions were also absolute late night Red Bull fueled chaos.

Weddle and Thompson are both stalwarts of the Sci-Fi genre (DS9 and new BSG) so the single player storyline should be spot on.
airchie 23rd February 2008, 16:36 Quote
I really loved the predator tag game mode.
One predator Vs any number of marines/aliens.
I was teh pwn at that. :)
mayakovski 25th February 2008, 23:44 Quote
Funny;

Given that Dark Horse did a fantastic short comic series by the same title a number of years ago, I am surprised that they went out and had a new story written.

I'll cross my fingers.

Mayakovski
Cabe 26th February 2008, 00:16 Quote
Probably issues with IP, whilst Fox probably hold the title IP (and associated image rights) Dark Horse will hold the story rights.

Must have a dig around for those though, sounds good.
Hydra 26th February 2008, 01:16 Quote
Read the preview in Game Informer, it sounds pretty cool. As long as they do it right.