bit-gamer.net

Rarest Atari 2600 game ever for sale

Rarest Atari 2600 game ever for sale

Gamma Attack is said to be one of the rarest Atari 2600 games ever made.

An eBay auction has recently been posted which offers one of the rarest games ever made for the Atari 2600 - and best of all, it'll only cost you half a million dollars if you want to buy it now.

The game in question, Gamma Attack had an incredibly limited run for the Atari 2600. In fact, less than twenty copies of the game were ever sold apparently.

The game is so very rare in fact that it's been near-impossible for us to find a good picture of the game or find out much about it.

So, there's two days left for the auction and there's been 23 offers so far - though we doubt any of them have approached the 'Buy It Now!' price of a cool half mil. The auction is complicated further by the fact that the seller will not ship the game at all - it's pick-up or personal delivery only.

Rare games are becoming an increasingly popular collectors item in some circles and the recent sale of a sealed copy of Chrono Trigger for $1200 is a testament to that fact.

Still, half a million dollars may be pushing it.

Do you think such an item could ever justify the cost, and what would you do with it if you bought it? Let us know in the forums.

25 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
lamboman 18th February 2008, 11:31 Quote
Oh, I love bargain bins!
Nexxo 18th February 2008, 11:46 Quote
Shouldn't this be in the FS Bargains forum? :D
Flibblebot 18th February 2008, 11:47 Quote
Is there a reason it only sold 20 copies?
I wrote a game, and it never even got published, so perhaps I should sell it for...1 million dollars...
mikeuk2004 18th February 2008, 12:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot
Is there a reason it only sold 20 copies?
I wrote a game, and it never even got published, so perhaps I should sell it for...1 million dollars...

Probably because it was jsut as good as the ET game.

No game on this planet is worth £250K no matter how rare it is.
Jokkocze 18th February 2008, 13:30 Quote
1200 quid for a sealed chrono trigger?! I should really consider throwing mine up on ebay...
Bauul 18th February 2008, 13:37 Quote
Only $250,000?? I'm there!
CardJoe 18th February 2008, 13:39 Quote
One of these days I'll get my first copy of Monkey Island signed by Ron Gilbert, sell it and retire.
chicorasia 18th February 2008, 13:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
One of these days I'll get my first copy of Monkey Island signed by Ron Gilbert, sell it and retire.

Is it the original, 16-colour, floppy disk edition?

That's gotta be worth a few thousand $$$ :D
wolff000 18th February 2008, 14:14 Quote
I doubt this sells for anyway near half a million US. The person just wants to get as much as possible out of the auction. By asking for such a high amount they ar ehoping to maximize what people offer them. I don't see this game going for more than a few thousand. That is too high in my book but some people have more disposable income than common sense.
CardJoe 18th February 2008, 15:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicorasia
Is it the original, 16-colour, floppy disk edition?

That's gotta be worth a few thousand $$$ :D

Yep, for the Amiga A500+. Unfortunately, the box is in ruins.
Agent_M 18th February 2008, 15:34 Quote
get him to tape it up, take pictures and get him to sign each disk! sorted, worth more :P
Flibblebot 18th February 2008, 16:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_M
get him to tape it up, take pictures and get him to sign each disk! sorted, worth more :P
Unfortunately, Ron Gilbert has a restraining order against Joe :(
Bungle 18th February 2008, 17:18 Quote
Whoever buys that title, has got to be the biggest computer gaming geek of all time. Crazy money.
WTF_Shelley 18th February 2008, 17:28 Quote
or the biggest mug in the world
TGImages 18th February 2008, 19:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolff000
I doubt this sells for anyway near half a million US. By asking for such a high amount they ar ehoping to maximize what people offer them.

Or maximize their exposure and free advertising. After all, we're discussing it here! So this is yet another free ad for them.
DXR_13KE 18th February 2008, 20:21 Quote
i bet bill gates will buy it......
johnnyboy700 18th February 2008, 20:46 Quote
Yep, what better way to get your item noticed that to put a ridiculous price tag on it.
Major 18th February 2008, 20:58 Quote
Buy it for £250,000, insure it for £400,000, and get someone to brake into my house and steal it. :D
rjkoneill 19th February 2008, 09:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE
i bet bill gates will buy it......

and then get it put on xbox live arcade so that it then becomes worthless
PhantomOf AtariAge 12th January 2009, 04:57 Quote
I own it. I just wanted to get the word out that it was found and not have to sell it even though I took a lot of BS from jealous people and people actually thinking I wanted half a Mil for it thoug if Bill Gates would have offered it, I wouldnt have turned him down but then neither would any of you all. I don't ever plan on selling it. I had 100 reproductions made and released the ROM but to the wiseguy that thinks just because something like xbox live or me releasing the ROM to the public would make it worthless, you haven't a clue dude. Either way it is still the only Original known to still exist and probably is and it is quite valuable. The Xbox generation couldn't possibly comprehend such uniqueness. Have fun with your Xbox live. Glad to se some of you seem to have got it though. It did get good advertising that week for the other Ebay items but more importantly, it let gamers know it was found. It was the greatest find of my collecting lifetime and I was happy to share it even though It was not all peaches and keen wth some of the abuse I had to take for listing a game for that much $ because some people think they are the authority on everything I suppose. Oh well, you live, you learn. Cheers - Phantom
Bauul 12th January 2009, 12:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOf AtariAge
I own it. I just wanted to get the word out that it was found and not have to sell it even though I took a lot of BS from jealous people and people actually thinking I wanted half a Mil for it thoug if Bill Gates would have offered it, I wouldnt have turned him down but then neither would any of you all. I don't ever plan on selling it. I had 100 reproductions made and released the ROM but to the wiseguy that thinks just because something like xbox live or me releasing the ROM to the public would make it worthless, you haven't a clue dude. Either way it is still the only Original known to still exist and probably is and it is quite valuable. The Xbox generation couldn't possibly comprehend such uniqueness. Have fun with your Xbox live. Glad to se some of you seem to have got it though. It did get good advertising that week for the other Ebay items but more importantly, it let gamers know it was found. It was the greatest find of my collecting lifetime and I was happy to share it even though It was not all peaches and keen wth some of the abuse I had to take for listing a game for that much $ because some people think they are the authority on everything I suppose. Oh well, you live, you learn. Cheers - Phantom

Say wha...?
Xtrafresh 12th January 2009, 14:54 Quote
errr... interpunction?

putting something up on ebay to get the word out is just dumb, and bound to get you abuse. Just send a "press release" to some gaming sites (like this one), and you'll get a much more positive and rewarding feedback.
Gareth Halfacree 12th January 2009, 15:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOf AtariAge
It was not all peaches and keen [...]
Cream. Peaches and cream. I don't know what "peaches and keen" would be, but it doesn't sound very tasty.
PhantomOf AtariAge 12th January 2009, 19:59 Quote
Typical.

And no, I think most people know about it because it was listed on ebay.
The press and attn it recived would NOT be close if it was never listed so you are wrong.
knuck 12th January 2009, 20:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeuk2004
Probably because it was jsut as good as the ET game.

No game on this planet is worth £250K no matter how rare it is.

is the ET game worth anything because I own it !

maybe I also have that gamma attack game, I better check it out
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums