Sealed copy of Chrono Trigger auctions for $1200

Sealed copy of Chrono Trigger auctions for $1200

This sealed copy of Mega Man X2 for the SNES is currently looking for a minimum bid of $1000.

A closely watched eBay auction offering a sealed copy of fan-favourite Squaresoft game Chrono Trigger for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System has drawn to a close. The item drew in an immense amount of attention from collectors and fans, with the game finally selling for a massive $1217 yesterday.

Rare and sealed computer games are fast becoming a great way to make a quick buck it seems - eBay is also listing a sealed copy of the SNES game Mega Man X2, with the opening bid set to a minimum of $1000.

Retro computer games and technological antiquities are a passion for many games nowadays, with collectors obviously willing to spend exorbitant amounts to get hold of certain titles. Even a sealed copy of Tetris 2 for the SNES can fetch $50 in the right circles - and let's not forget David Clark, who claimed $10,000 for the original copy of Electronics Magazine which contained the first printing of Moore's Law.

The lucky winner of the sealed copy of Chrono Trigger has remained silent it seems, keeping mum on whether to open and play the game, or keep it immaculately preserved. What would you do?

Personally, the most I've ever spent on a game was £60 on an early copy of the then-new Star Trek: Generations game. What's your record? Let us know in the forums.

DXR_13KE 4th February 2008, 11:34 Quote
hey, it is a peace of art..... no wonder it cost that much..... and it is sealed.....
mikeuk2004 4th February 2008, 13:07 Quote
If I had money to waste of that kind then Id just open it :)
Arkanrais 4th February 2008, 13:37 Quote
Chrono Trigger was the best game on the snes, I loved it (many times over). next best was tales of phantasia but I didnt get to play that on any consoles cause it wasnt released in english (props to dejap translations)
Bauul 4th February 2008, 13:54 Quote
What's the point of opening it and playing it when you can grab the game for free following a small amount of digging off Google?

Personally, the most I ever spent on a second hand game was..... about £12. Or about £60 if you count an old Game Cube and a few games for Joe's birthday once.
Paradigm Shifter 4th February 2008, 14:45 Quote
A piece of gaming history, right there. I'd buy it (if I had spare cash lying around) but I'd never open it. :D
Crazyglue 4th February 2008, 14:51 Quote
my record for most money spent on a game is about $180.... ROCK BAND RULES
Thacrudd 4th February 2008, 14:54 Quote
best game ever. Keep it sealed and frame it.
Xtrafresh 4th February 2008, 15:03 Quote
I'm not shocked. People spend much more on a sword in WoW, or similar stuff. Why not take the cash and spend it on a virgin copy of (arguably) the best game ever?
Krikkit 4th February 2008, 15:06 Quote
Originally Posted by Bauul

Because you can collect these things - like anything it's worth more in perfect condition. :)
steveo_mcg 4th February 2008, 15:09 Quote
Opening it would be criminal, you can get it for free if you want to play it, other wise it should left alone on display for people who like to look at these things.
I think the most i've ever spent on a game is about £26, piracy may not be killing the industry but i think i am...
chrisb2e9 4th February 2008, 16:40 Quote
he couild keep it sealed and play it on zsnes instead.
Keivz 4th February 2008, 22:44 Quote
Most I've ever spent on a game?

$100 --> Import of X-men vs. Street Fighter for the Sega Saturn. It bought me the game, the 4mb ram cart, and the import cart.

Worth every penny.

Keivz
samkiller42 4th February 2008, 22:49 Quote
Looks like i spent the most then. £100 for the Halo 3 Legendary Edition, thats 100 pounds, ouch.

Sam
CanadianViking 5th February 2008, 03:58 Quote
I've spent $191.31 on one game...

As said above... ROCK BAND RULES!
Blazecc 2nd April 2008, 00:49 Quote
I spent $90 on my copy of Chrono Trigger at toys R Us about a year after it came out. It's still in my top 5 ever. Also, does buying a system to play a game count? If so 250 for a PSP and Crisis Core:Final Fantasy 7. And (hopefully) shortly, $700 for PS3 and FF7 Remake. BTW Crisis Core is worth every penny.
dazmanultra 2nd April 2008, 00:59 Quote
When I bought Turok on the N64, I paid £69.99 approximately 11 years ago. That's about £97 in today's money if you include inflation, or roughly $190. :o
naokaji 2nd April 2008, 09:19 Quote
1200$ for a snes game? *wonders how much Joe would pay for a sealed copy of Monkey Island* (no, I dont have one)
knuck 3rd April 2008, 00:56 Quote
wow I am such a nerd

the photo of the sealed megaman X game gave me chills ...