Star Trek Online to be 'more casual'

Star Trek Online to be 'more casual'

The good news is that Kirk still won't be providing the soundtrack.

Perpetual Entertainment has got a new boss, a media company which is trying to use the developer to break through into the videogame market for the first time, according to Shacknews. All well and good I suppose - fresh blood in the veins never hurts.

Unfortunately, this transfusion may go slightly wrong. The new bosses have been in charge for only a little while and already they've cancelled one game and demanded radical changes to the other, all apparently while remaining anonymous.

The cancelled game has been revealed to be Gods and Heroes: Rome Rising, which isn't something I'm going to miss all that much since I've yet to finish a full campaign in Rome: Total War and can only tolerate so much toga at a time. More scarily though, the new man upstairs has demanded changes to the Star Trek Online game that has been in the pipeline for a while now. They want to make the game 'more casual' apparently.

I know, it made me shudder too.

If the idea of linking up similarly coloured tiles/dilythium crystals every time you want to reverse the polarity (something which is invariably key to the survival of the ship) of the deflector shield doesn't sound bad enough then you should probably stop reading now because it doesn't get any better.

Sources inside Perpetual, many of whom are unhappy with the new changes, have also leaked that the game will be adopting a style of revenue similar to Korean MMOs. On the good side, this means there's no subscriptions, but on the bad side it means that there's going to be dozens of in-game micro-transactions. You'll have to pay for privileges.

It's time we just forgot about all this nonsense though and got right down to the important stuff. Who is the best Star Trek captain? Most popular character? Personally, I always like Dr. Julian Bashir, but then I always was a sucker for those blue uniforms and genetically enhanced eyes which are shrouded in mystery. Let us know what you think in the forums.

AcidJiles 27th November 2007, 10:59 Quote
Originally Posted by CardJoe

The new owners of Perpetual Entertainment are messing with all types of things - including the Star Trek MMO, which looks to be taking a more casual approach now.

love the picture
Mister_X 27th November 2007, 11:04 Quote
Shame. sounded like a great prospect, ruined by cruddy management interference.
mmorgue 27th November 2007, 11:05 Quote
I don't care -- so long as I can get into a fistacuffs with some green alien who then rips my captain's uniform down the front, exposing my Starfleet waxed chest, I'll be pleased....
DXR_13KE 27th November 2007, 11:48 Quote
i hate it when casual games = money cow...... and then there is the micro transaction thing....

anyway if they wanted a casual game to give them money then they should make something to compete with pegle.... or any other casual game and leave ST alone....

"LEAVE" Star Trek "ALONE!!!!!!! or else....." :D
Hells_Bliss 27th November 2007, 13:29 Quote
as casual as this though?

wun2tMXZUfY
wolff000 27th November 2007, 14:36 Quote
It is to bad they the new management is messing with what could have been a great mmo. Hopefully they won't completely destroy it.

That video was hilarious! Even though Kirk was a better captain. My favorite character is Data, may he rest in peace. The hottest character yet is hands down 7 of 9.
CardJoe 27th November 2007, 14:57 Quote
Pfft. Ezri Dax pwns 7 of 9, followed by the bird that Quark always hung out with who was played by Chase Masterson, followed by 7 of 9, followed by Jadzia Dax.

I watched Star Trek too much as a kid.
Omnituens 27th November 2007, 14:59 Quote
also, link to big version of that pic please, ive lost it.
CardJoe 27th November 2007, 15:29 Quote
I just googled "Star Trek Funny" You'll find loads like that, but I no longer have it. It's in the first page or two.
Bungle 27th November 2007, 18:48 Quote
Who is the best Star Trek captain? Benjamin Sisko. Not afraid to get his hands dirty and doesn't let starfleet regs get in the way of getting the job done. A great character like James T Kirk but without the ego (even though he's a prophet).

Most popular character? Quark. Added some much needed comedy into the Deep space nine mix and did a grand job. Compare him to nelix from voyager and there's no contest IMHO.

/geek mode disengaged

P.S oh yeah the thread was about some shabby game. Ah well looks like it's back to dry dock for the developers:(