Bethesda makes map for Portal

Bethesda makes map for Portal

After being so impressed with the game, Bethesda Softworks level designer Daryl Brigner created his own map for Portal.

Bethesda Softworks, the developer behind the Elder Scrolls series, has made its own map for Valve's hugely innovative Portal after being so infatuated with the title.

According to Eurogamer, Bethesda level designer Daryl Brigner was responsible for creating the map, which is currently up to version 1.2 after a few tweaks have been made.

The map is available for the PC version of Portal only and you can download it over at TWHL.

To install it, you simply need to download it and then unzip the files into the 'maps' folder where you've installed Portal. Once you enter the game, if you click the 'Bonus Maps' tab, there should be a new option 'maps/RenTests' - this is where you'll find the maps you've just downloaded.

Judging by the comments on TWHL, the puzzle is incredibly difficult and some said they just gave up, even despite saying that it's enjoyable and very creative. Let us know how you get on over in the forums.

Hells_Bliss 6th November 2007, 15:49 Quote
coolness will try it tonight :D
steveo_mcg 6th November 2007, 16:06 Quote
I was too stupid/impatient to do the four original bonus maps so i doubt i'll manage this.
Faulk_Wulf 6th November 2007, 16:12 Quote
The "in the forums" links to the Forum's main page. I'll let you know about the map when I get Portal! Cheers.
Tim S 6th November 2007, 16:14 Quote
whoops, thanks!
g3n3tiX 6th November 2007, 16:23 Quote
Trying it now, will update on difficulty...

EDIT :
WOW. Try it, if you Dare...very small room, lots of things, not many portal walls, a companion sphere...tough one.
I'm taking http://g3n3tix.free.fr/files/gallery/index.php?/category/5"]screenies.
(not much more than the official ones at the moment, I'll try to stay spoiler-free.
The whole room rotates...very nice thought.
I suggest you try it, it's really great !!
boiled_elephant 6th November 2007, 16:25 Quote
I'mma buy the orange box when I get home, it's long overdue. I'll try this out as soon as I can, being a Bethesda whore :)
Firehed 6th November 2007, 16:34 Quote
Remoted into my home computer to install this from work just a few moments ago... I'm quite excited to give it a try tonight.
Omnituens 6th November 2007, 16:56 Quote
VERY well made map, though the unportalable and portalable walls need to be made a bit clearer.
g3n3tiX 6th November 2007, 17:07 Quote
I agree, between light gray and dark gray, it's better to rely on the crosshair...
Anyone did the catcher ?

Advice : trying to block door with a sphere is a very BAD idea...especially when the sphere comes to crush you.
That's something my missed companion Cube would not have done. He was not trying to kill me. (there's a funny sphere/WCC debate on the Steam forums)

And DONE ! http://g3n3tix.free.fr/files/gallery/picture.php?/86/category/5
jakenbake 6th November 2007, 18:11 Quote
I can only get #2 adn #4 done, can't get #3... is that the ball catcher?
glaeken 6th November 2007, 19:12 Quote
Pretty good map. Really not as difficult as those yahoos over at TWHL are saying.
eek 6th November 2007, 20:14 Quote
Nice, it's not particularly hard to see what you have to do, but it is very tricky!!

It's good to see something a bit more challanging than the actual game!
TomD22 6th November 2007, 21:30 Quote
Hmmm, the energy-ball-catcher is causing me headaches too.

It looks like it's being buggy.....but it's quite possible I'm just being a nub and missing something stupid.

I can get the energy ball into the small thin corridor-like chamber that has the catcher at the end of it....but the ball seems to just fly into the catcher (or hit the wall it's mounted on, sometimes) and vanish....without triggering it :/

Bug? Or am I supposed to have 'activated' the catcher or something (altho I don't rmemeber any of the ones in portal needing that) first? Or what?
UncertainGod 6th November 2007, 21:59 Quote
That's a nice map, but it made me open Portal up again so I may not escape for a few days, cya.
Jamie 6th November 2007, 22:54 Quote
Not a particularly fun map in my opinion. I got very annoyed when I caught out by the energy ball as I was going through the doors a couple of times.
g3n3tiX 7th November 2007, 12:52 Quote
Yeah the energy ball seems buggy, the first time it did the same thing to me. You have to line it up real good so it goes traight into the catcher. Otherwise it just goes through the wall. Weird.
TomD22 7th November 2007, 13:56 Quote
Hmm ok, cheers for the info. Not sure I can be bothered to go back and get it perfect....for me the enjoyment of the puzzles is working out what to do, not the over-and-over attempts to actually do it.
tribalman 22nd November 2007, 12:12 Quote
i just dowloaded and downloaded this map. it looked very daunting the first time i walked into the main room. it was kind of buggy in that the energy ball wouldn't impact the wall, but either a bit off the wall/floor or go through the first layer and reflect off one behind. and some of the physics seemed off. might have to do with different settings in the game that i changed. it was a decent level. any others made yet?