Manhunt 2 PSP re-uncensored

Manhunt 2 PSP re-uncensored

Russian hackers have managed to unlock the uncut content in the Manhunt 2 PSP version.

Manhunt 2. Sigh. Do I really have to go through explaining all the backstory again? How it was banned in the UK, then everywhere else, distribution was suspended, platforms left the game, then how the game was recut and released in the US but was still banned in the UK on account of the "casual encouragement of sadistic violence" and "unremittingly bleak tone" - do I really have to tell you all that again in one incredibly long sentence of dubious grammatical worth?

Well, yeah, I suppose I do. While I'm at it, I'll go ahead and mention how I think it was all a bit of a publicity stunt as well, intended to drive up hype for a game which has got rather mixed reviews.

Now, Manhunt 2 is in the front pages again - this time with a double-whammy. Firstly comes the news that the new version of the game, which has been re-cut so that execution sequences are now all blurry, has had the extra filters removed by a group of Russian hackers who toyed with the PSP version.

The hack itself is pretty complex and requires gamers to use a .ISO of the game and a copy of the PSP back-up tool UMDGen to edit some files so that the new filters can be turned off, according to information on the MaxConsole Forums.

The fact that the filter can be removed could prove a tricky issue in the future and the developers could find themselves in hot coffee in the near future. On the other hand, this isn't the type of hack which is easy to make and the blame could easily be laid at the feet of the hackers, especially if Rockstar disclosed the information to rating bodies beforehand.

Meanwhile, if you're living in the UK and therefore haven't played the game yet then you may be interested to know what all the fuss is about. You can check out a new comparison video which shows the differences between Manhunt, Manhunt 2 and the uncut version of the game which was previously banned. Be warned though, it isn't for the faint hearted or under-18s.

Own a copy of the game or is this the first time you've seen this footage? Let us know what you think in the forums.

mikeuk2004 1st November 2007, 12:37 Quote
Obvious it will happen. I will have to check that video out when im home to see what banned the game
DXR_13KE 1st November 2007, 13:33 Quote
sincerely i think that the censored version is more disturbing.... those effects make it more scary.... and i really hope they don't make a nudity or sex mod for this game or else this will go to the moon and back.
Darkedge 1st November 2007, 13:54 Quote
no wonder the BBFC didn't let it though a second time, despite it being just as violent and screwed up as the first game (which they got in trouble for letting through in the first place[due to the press erroneously linking it to the drugs murder case despite the police saying it had nothing to do with it], hence heavy hands with 2).

Really despite the censorship it means the EU will not be able to buy a piss poor game. Shame.
Zurechial 1st November 2007, 16:14 Quote
As much as I think Manhunt is a pile of sensationalist crap, I don't think it's fair to blame the developers for a crack made by russian hackers to modify the game.

By that same token, one could blame the developers for the cracks produced by 3rd-party users which restore red blood to german games or add nude skins to others.

All that doesn't change the fact that the whole thing is a bit of a joke, though, anyway.

Honestly, I don't mean to sound ungrateful to Bit-Tech, but I'm getting tired of seeing Manhunt in the gaming headlines and I don't think I'm the only one.
The legal repercussions have been pretty much seen already, and very few people actually give a monkey's about the game itself, so surely news about Manhunt should be heading towards the "non-event" bin?

Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate the articles in a sense - The more the merrier, and I like Joe's style of writing, but I'd prefer to see more articles about other games. Invent news if you have to! :p
UncertainGod 1st November 2007, 16:42 Quote
played the game, hated the game, deleted the game.
Morphine-Kitty 2nd November 2007, 01:11 Quote
The effects made it look cooler anyways.
boiled_elephant 2nd November 2007, 01:32 Quote
I'm sick of seeing the words "manhunt 2": It's overhyped garbage. I actually adored the original, because it was stylish, ironic and had a very dark, dry sense of humour. Manhunt 2, however, seems to do for this series what San Andreas did for GTA.

On a side-note, I find Soldier of Fortune far more disturbing than Manhunt.