bit-gamer.net

Halo 3 used to recruit Christians

Halo 3 used to recruit Christians

I'd like to see someone try and put the Master Chief on a crucifix...

You may think that Halo 3 is a great game or you may not. Either way, you've got to recognise the hype surrounding the game as being something powerfully attractive to young kids. Especially hell-bound young kids.

You wouldn't be the only ones to notice either and a recent New York Times article has picked up the story of a Colorado Community Church which is using the game to try and attract newcomers to the Christian faith.

"Witness the basement on a recent Sunday at the Colorado Community Church in the Englewood area of Denver, where Tim Foster, 12, and Chris Graham, 14, sat in front of three TVs, locked in violent virtual combat as they navigated on-screen characters through lethal gun bursts. Tim explained the game's allure: "It's just fun blowing people up."

Once they come for the games, Gregg Barbour, the youth minister of the church said, they will stay for his Christian message. "We want to make it hard for teenagers to go to hell," Mr. Barbour wrote in a letter to parents at the church.
" Said the original article.

I have to confess, as somebody who spent countless summers at 'Christian Camp' and attended Sunday School every single week, i'm a little miffed that these kids get to play Halo 3 between their psalms. The most we ever got was word games based around the Book of Proverbs.

Is blowing things up a decent way to attract kids to the works of The Lord, or has this minister lost his way? Address your prayers and opinions to the forums and let us know what you think.

34 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
adidas 8th October 2007, 10:53 Quote
It's as if the church could never win: when they stick to their traditions they're criticized for being backwards, when they try to add a bit of harmless fun like Halo3 they're mocked for trying too hard. What gives? I'm not a big follower of the church, but more power to them to make their summer camp fun methinks.
Mankz 8th October 2007, 11:02 Quote
Religion doesn't need to be in games. Games have enough competition as it is.
mmorgue 8th October 2007, 12:11 Quote
I agree with Mankz -- religion is not need in games, tho not just because of the already intense amount of competition the game industry has.

Once you start adding religious content to games, or have an attempt to drive a game by religious themes or have a religion try to use a game as their moral recruiting tool, then you are effectively propogating one religious viewpoint and demoting others. This isn't a smart thing to do as many people who love their religion too much tend to have.. how do we say this politely... "strong opposing feelings" to those who don't share their same views.

I despise all forms of religion, but that's just my own, educated opinion. But the last thing you want is video games being used in religious propaganda -- yet something else to blame the video game industry for.
Lee @ Scan 8th October 2007, 12:15 Quote
Shouldn't they be using Resistance on the PS3.

I mean, this already have virtual Cathedrals of Manchester in there ;)
Duste 8th October 2007, 12:32 Quote
Religion has ruined the world in general and now it's trying to ruin games also?

FOAD imo.
sub routine 8th October 2007, 15:50 Quote
/hehe well they say the lord moves in mysterious ways. I never figured he/ she (or whatever?) would play Halo 3.

Wonder what name tag he uses? lol.
Vash-HT 8th October 2007, 17:46 Quote
I like the quote, "We are trying to make it hard for teenagers to go to hell". Yeah I'm sure they're trying so damn hard to get into hell that you have to use Halo 3 to sway their mind and bring them back...
completemadness 8th October 2007, 18:43 Quote
Wouldn't blowing people up (virtual or not) and enjoying it be a worse sin then not going to church?
fwalm 8th October 2007, 20:42 Quote
If people think religion destroyed the world, look at Northern Ireland, it destroyed the country 20 years ago and still hasn't recovered, letting people from Northern Ireland play Halo 3 while at church would just be stupid, bring all the kids up to like violence and keep the violence going here. Would be perfect, the troubles continue. On another note, I would go to church to play becuase I think God is none exisistent but there is something, Halo is just fun but i'm not dumb enough to go on a mass murder, other people from here are. My ramble.
TomH 8th October 2007, 20:52 Quote
This is so very, very wrong. What an awful way to force kids into religion - offering them something they wouldn't turn down in a million years just to force some ****ing bible drivel down their neck? >:(

I'm all for modernisation of beliefs, but whilst religion still requires sneak tactics for force it down the population's throat, I'd rather it was abolished completely. I was only walking home through the centre of Brum on friday, when I was accosted by damn Scientologists! They tried to rope me in with a free 'stress test'.

Oh and here's the funny part; religion's responsible for about 100,000,000, more deaths than video games are! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Thompson! :p
DXR_13KE 8th October 2007, 22:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH
Oh and here's the funny part; religion's responsible for about 100,000,000, more deaths than video games are! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Thompson! :p

only 100,000,000?
TomH 8th October 2007, 22:56 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE
only 100,000,000?
I was thinking of big numbers. Seemed a decent one considering the population how it is now .. But you could be easily correct.
Bungle 8th October 2007, 22:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE
only 100,000,000?
Indeed, you forgot about all the Dinosaurs. Act Of God Sent them to Dino heaven. That God....he got a temper on him.:D
supermonkey 9th October 2007, 00:32 Quote
I think some of you are putting way too much thought into this. I get the impression that this particular church isn't forcing its beliefs on anyone. If a kid doesn't want to hear the message, they can always play Halo at home, right? They stay to hear the message out of their own free will.

Christians get a bad enough rap as it is, let's not try make up an excuse to rag on them.

-monkey
themax 9th October 2007, 04:51 Quote
I only find it odd because you've got those churches that will tell you Pokemon is the devil, and then you have this church using a video game, Halo no doubt, as a recruiting tool. Doesn't bother me none, hopefully more churches will follow suit in recognizing that video games are just fun and entertainment; not some devilish scheme out to corrupt our minds and turn people from god. This is just coming from my own experience though.
HourBeforeDawn 9th October 2007, 07:25 Quote
okay that has to be a sin somehow sheesh
Woodstock 9th October 2007, 08:09 Quote
i remember playing the original halo at a church youth group and one of the grand theft autos, its not new just the first time its hit the news
Drexial 9th October 2007, 20:46 Quote
they are preparing them for the next holy war, like the US Army has the recruitment game. its not called halo for nothing :-p the aliens represent the demons hell bent on taking over the planet.
Kylevdm 9th October 2007, 20:52 Quote
i am a Christian and i play plenty of violent games and i even host lan parties at our church

we are just normal people who believe in God

we are not some crazy nutters
HourBeforeDawn 9th October 2007, 21:02 Quote
^^^ lol I question that sometimes, when I lived in Vegas you should have seen the extreme bible thumper's and their huge sin signs lol me and my ex would dress as dark as possible and just go at it with each other in front of them, man would that piss them off especially when you say god is nice but the devil lets you have more fun ha it was amusing... the way I look at it is religion is fine but no religion should try to force their belief on others, in fact I honestly think this planet probably would have been better off if religion never started because if you really look at it ALL WARS have been pretty much started because of religion, well or a woman =p
Bungle 9th October 2007, 21:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylevdm
i am a Christian and i play plenty of violent games and i even host lan parties at our church

we are just normal people who believe in God

we are not some crazy nutters
See, he's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy.:D (sorry couldn't resist)
thegoatmaster 9th October 2007, 21:37 Quote
You guys seem to fail to realize that Christians are indeed human beings. They do play video games. Christianity also isn't about "do this, don't do this, God loves you more if you do this than if you don't."
completemadness 9th October 2007, 21:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatmaster
You guys seem to fail to realize that Christians are indeed human beings. They do play video games. Christianity also isn't about "do this, don't do this, God loves you more if you do this than if you don't."
except if you don't go to church at least 1nce a week you will go to hell? Why does it matter where you go to worship, hell why not at your bedside before bed

Most christians are perfectly decent people, its a shame the minority spoil it (and ofc they are the ones you always hear about as well)
whisperwolf 9th October 2007, 22:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by HourBeforeDawn
in fact I honestly think this planet probably would have been better off if religion never started because if you really look at it ALL WARS have been pretty much started because of religion, well or a woman =p

In which case we would probably all still be living in caves running away from fire, religion was one-way civilisation was able to form cohesive groups to survive. And I'm willing to bet that the majority of wars are in fact started over 1. Wanting another countries land and 2 wanting another countries resources. Religion might then be used to convince the masses that it is a just war but it all boils down to jealousy of what someone else has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by completemadness
except if you don't go to church at least 1nce a week you will go to hell? Why does it matter where you go to worship, hell why not at your bedside before bed

Most christians are perfectly decent people, its a shame the minority spoil it (and ofc they are the ones you always hear about as well)

of course how did I miss that commandment and Jesus said "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself' oh yes and don't forget go to a nice building, lets call it a church, once a week and worship us, oh yes and bingo on Tuesdays and a bring and buy sale on Saturdays, don’t forget that one or your all going to hell, p.s. there should always be a fund for fixing the roof as well'
thegoatmaster 10th October 2007, 03:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by completemadness
except if you don't go to church at least 1nce a week you will go to hell? Why does it matter where you go to worship, hell why not at your bedside before bed

Most christians are perfectly decent people, its a shame the minority spoil it (and ofc they are the ones you always hear about as well)

Where have you heard you go to Hell for not going to church?

Here's, roughly, how I believe it went down (in INCREDIBLY bland summarization): God made Man. Man put himself before God. Man could no longer stand before God. God sends man away. God decided, "Ok, if you want to be as good as me, here's what you have to do to be perfect." Thus the commandments and laws of the Old Testament, etc. Man couldn't measure up. God became man, and died as a man for man's inability to make the grade. Thus, no one who accepts the gift of Christ's standing in thier place on the cross goes to Hell, NO MATTER WHAT. I do indeed believe there was forgiveness at the Cross for the murderers, the rapists, the Hitlers and Stalins of the world, if only they accept it. I believe that the changes in one's lifestyle, the leaving behind of things that you've heard people "go to Hell" for, come after experiencing the Grace of God.

As for church, it's something you get to do because you love God, not something you HAVE to do. Also, not going to church doesn't mean you don't love God. By that same token, GOING to church doesn't make God love you more. I mean, He's already died for you, seriously.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.
Quote:
In which case we would probably all still be living in caves running away from fire, religion was one-way civilisation was able to form cohesive groups to survive. And I'm willing to bet that the majority of wars are in fact started over 1. Wanting another countries land and 2 wanting another countries resources. Religion might then be used to convince the masses that it is a just war but it all boils down to jealousy of what someone else has.

Not so much Jealousy, but pride. The more pride you have, the more you hate it in others. Pride gets no pleasure out of having something (like greed, for example), only having more of it than the next person. It doesn't matter what they have or what you have, it matters that you don't have more than them.

I don't quite get what you said though, about religion being used to convince the masses that it's just war, though. Elaborate on that a bit more, please.
tranc3 10th October 2007, 06:42 Quote
Good idea, I've done lans at a local church. Not bad, most ppl wont like it witch is fine b/c it is very strange "BOOM NO SCOPE HEAD SHOT" .."Come to church, worship god." just isn't a natural thing. but.. this is the the video game age, in a way. just like a paint ball church group, yea shooting your preacher isn't a very nice thing. but its fun.
Kylevdm 10th October 2007, 17:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranc3
just like a paint ball church group, yea shooting your preacher isn't a very nice thing. but its fun.

a group of us are going to a paintballing place next week :p
whisperwolf 10th October 2007, 21:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatmaster

I don't quite get what you said though, about religion being used to convince the masses that it's just war, though. Elaborate on that a bit more, please.

You got me out of context i didn't say "just a war" I said "a just war" :)
just :-–adjective
1. guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness: We hope to be just in our understanding of such difficult situations.
2. done or made according to principle; equitable; proper: a just reply.
3. based on right; rightful; lawful: a just claim.
4. in keeping with truth or fact; true; correct: a just analysis.
5. given or awarded rightly; deserved, as a sentence, punishment, or reward: a just penalty.
6. in accordance with standards or requirements; proper or right: just proportions.
7. (esp. in Biblical use) righteous.
8. actual, real, or genuine.

In essance the higherups of country A want the oil, mines, fertile land of counry B. they know the population will not support simply attacking country B for this resource so instead insinuate that country B's population eats babies, makes loves to goats and worships Satan, therefore it would be Just to attack country B to stop them doing all of this and if country A happens to aquire a nice bit of oil,mine, fertile land as well so much the better.
The_Beast 10th October 2007, 23:22 Quote
and god said "get the sniper, frag your way to the top of the hill and kill kill kill"
thegoatmaster 11th October 2007, 00:34 Quote
Quote:
Good idea, I've done lans at a local church. Not bad, most ppl wont like it which is fine b/c it is very strange "BOOM NO SCOPE HEAD SHOT" .."Come to church, worship god." just isn't a natural thing. but.. this is the the video game age, in a way. just like a paint ball church group, yea shooting your preacher isn't a very nice thing. but its fun.

Who needs the "come to church, worship God?" to quote Francis of Assisi: "Preach the Gospel always, and when necessary, use words."

Quote:
You got me out of context i didn't say "just a war" I said "a just war"

Oops, sorry lol. I ignored that intentionally. I thought it was a typo. It was right after trig class that I posted that, and I wasn't thinking straight lol. Thought you just had a lysdexic moment or something.
thegoatmaster 16th October 2007, 21:35 Quote
BUMP?
CardJoe 16th October 2007, 21:44 Quote
Why bump?
thegoatmaster 16th October 2007, 21:50 Quote
just didn't quite seem like the discussion was over. But that's ok I guess.
CardJoe 16th October 2007, 23:23 Quote
Well, if you've got more to say, go for it :D
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums