Orange Box will include Johnathon Coulton track

Orange Box will include Johnathon Coulton track

Altogether: "Show me the way to Amarillo! Show me the way to Amarillo!"

Normally in a news article like this I'd start by outlining for all of you just what The Orange Box is, what it contains and how awesome it's likely to be. This time though I'm not going to bother about all that for two reasons. Firstly, everybody in the world knows about Half-Life. Secondly, it would take three times as long since The Orange Box contains three new games; Half-Life: Episode Two, Portal and Team Fortress 2.

Well, no, it actually contains five games if you count the original Half-Life 2 and Episode One. Six if you count the easter egg which Valve has recently let slip about.

According to Joystiq, Valve has revealed that geek musician Johnathan Coulton has also contributed to The Orange Box.

Coulton has achieved cult status in the geek community with songs like 'Code Monkey' and 'Baby Got Back', apparently. Honestly, I've never heard of the guy.

Coulton has apparently teamed up with the Valve design team to create a song which will be hidden somewhere in The Orange Box. General opinion is that the song will probably be about Zombies in one way or another.

So, what's your favourite easter egg or hidden feature of all time? Let us know in the forums, if you can find them.

DougEdey 5th October 2007, 12:44 Quote
7 games is you include Peggle
Mig 5th October 2007, 12:59 Quote
Peggle is given as an award if you pre-order the orange box on steam.
riggs 5th October 2007, 13:05 Quote
Johnathon Coulton eh? Didn't know that was his name, but I've heard that 'Code Monkey' track before...was pretty geeky, lyrically.
Redbeaver 5th October 2007, 14:24 Quote
Coulton!! Code Monkey!!!!

*bow down*

*not worthy*
cjmUK 5th October 2007, 14:52 Quote
My favourite Easter Egg was a smarties one that came with two bags of smarties and was resealable. I somehow got three bags of smarties and my brother only one.

As for the Easter Eggs you guys are on about, I have little to add. I hear about them from time to time but have actually seen few. And the ones I have have been dull.
[USRF]Obiwan 5th October 2007, 15:14 Quote
The best easter egg ever:

Playing astro chicken in the SpaceQuest adventure series.
Bladestorm 5th October 2007, 15:26 Quote
Cool! Code monkey and RE: Your brains are classic :)

Edit add : I've always had a certain fondness for the dopefish myself ;p
z3rb 5th October 2007, 16:03 Quote
"Six if you count the easter egg which Valve has recently let slip about. "
I have not heard of such a thing, please tell.
nakchak 5th October 2007, 20:27 Quote
What can i say, when i first heard code monkey, i was having a day best described as a motherlode of f*ck, had a meeting with my manager (really is called rob), about a damned login page/authentication code review. the opening verse just hit the nail on the head

Code Monkey get up get coffee
Code Monkey go to job
Code Monkey have boring meeting
With boring manager Rob
Rob say Code Monkey very dilligent
But his output stink
His code not "functional" or "elegant"
What do Code Monkey think?
Code Monkey think maybe manager want to write god damned login page himself
Code Monkey not say it out loud
Code Monkey not crazy, just proud

genius!!!!

as for best easter egg, dunno why but i love the old games master logo made out of sweets in zool....

or the "you shouldnt be here" messages in duke3d normally found with noclip on
or maybe the seagull from loom in DOTT, hell why not all lucas arts adventure games ever, they are positivly swimming in refferences and easter eggs
that or anything dopefish
DarkReaper 10th October 2007, 17:14 Quote
It's out, and I've found the song - it's fun! :D
[USRF]Obiwan 11th October 2007, 09:25 Quote
So is the song in the retailbox or also when you bought it through steam?
DarkReaper 11th October 2007, 09:38 Quote
It'll be in the retail box. It's actually played in one of the games - but it's not about zombies!
Hugo 11th October 2007, 10:42 Quote
For those interested, the song is in Portal and is played over the end credits - more info than that would spoil it I'm afraid
completemadness 11th October 2007, 19:24 Quote
Originally Posted by Archangel
ZOMG! is that the song ?

That was awesome :D
knowyourenemy 12th October 2007, 12:07 Quote
I have ripped the song from the .gcf to my iPod. Woot. :D
CardJoe 12th October 2007, 12:22 Quote
Archangel has the turret sounds as his ringtone atm
Hugo 12th October 2007, 12:58 Quote
I have staying alive as my wake-up alarm too. I'm totally addicted!